Start by marking “The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #1)

The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  676 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Welcome to the Kingdom of Wrenly—a new chapter book series full of fantasy and adventure.

Meet Lucas, the eight year-old prince, and Clara, the daughter of the queen's seamstress. Lucas is an only child who longs to make friends and go on adventures. Clara knows the kingdom well, so she and Lucas team up and explore the lands of Wrenly!

In The Lost Stone, Lucas and Clara sea
Published April 1st 2014 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Stone, please sign up.
Amye I am going to say DRA Level 24, or Guided Reading Level K or L.

Josiah
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Illustrations for early chapter books are important, perhaps as important as those in picture books. Many kids who read them are just starting to read books long enough to contain chapters, so good illustrations are key to keeping them engaged when the reading becomes difficult. Robert McPhillips comes through on that score in a big way in The Lost Stone, the first installment of Jordan Quinn's The Kingdom of Wrenly series. Wrenly is populated by a variety of creatures, and they're all depicted ...more
Lucy
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My Cousin Makenna
"can you believe i read a 114 page book in 3 days". okay i,ll admit it the kingdom of wrenly is a great book.
Heidi
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The Lost Stone is a cute read for young fantasy lovers who aren't ready for the older stuff yet. This is the first book in a series of adventures that follows the exploits of Prince Lucas and his best friend, Clara. In this book, Lucas sneaks out of the castle disguised as a village boy so he can attend the local school and hopefully make a real friend. But he is quickly discovered and returned to the palace. Luckily for him, his parents understand his desire for a friend and they allow him to b ...more
Stephanie P
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this one with my 4 year old son and we loved it! We both love medieval settings so this is the perfect series for us. The language and amount of words per page is very attainable for his attention span and there are wonderful illustrations on every page. It was really fun to have the map of the kingdom at the front of the book that my son wanted to keep looking back at as he learned about the different locations. I'm glad there are 12 books in the series because it means we've got lots of ...more
Alex
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't like the part when people found out that the Queen (Queen Tasha) lost her emerald stone. I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Lucas and Clara went to all the magical islands around the Kingdom and the island where the mermaids lived -- they found the emerald stone for Lucas and Clara (because a wizard on the island where the wizards lived) -- a wizard dropped the emerald stone off a cliff.
Beth Anne
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Preview read. Simple and fun early reader chapter book with lots of great illustrations and a fantastic map at the beginning of the book. THis seems like a nice fantasy setting and has some solid friendship and teamwork themes established early on in the series. Three star as an adult, four star for its intended audience.
Mara
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A copy of The Lost Stone was provided by the illustrator. I was not obligated to write a positive review. This is my full and honest opinion.

I am a near-22-year-old woman, with no kids (my hedgehog takes up all my time, thank you very much). So what interest could I possibly have with The Kingdom of Wrenly series – a brand new fantasy adventure series for early readers? I may be an adult, but I am still a kid at heart (aren’t all Readers and book bloggers?) – and I am also super appreciative of
Haley S
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I should just copy and paste the last paragraph of the synopsis. This is a really good book for beginner readers. It will be the perfect story for a kid looking for a fun, adventure story.
Even though I read this book in an hour, this is the perfect size for any child. I mean, I am a teenager. I can’t really say that I was drawn into the story. It is a kids’ book so of course it is meant for kids!
The cover is cute. I will give it 4 stars. Robert McPhillips is a wonderful illustrator! All of his p
Allie
We just did a major overhaul of the series section in the Children's Room, adding tons more series including this one. So I'm getting to know that collection better by attempting to read at least one title in each series.

So, Wrenly. Given that a bunch of the books have dragons on them, I expected it to be a little more magical. I started with the first book, but I think that was a mistake. I don't need exposition or background on these characters. The story of a lonely only (child) was pretty s
Kaleria
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This isn't a bad book. I will keep it on my shelf in the classroom for any kid who is interested, but it really isn't great. I will not be purchasing the next books.

I was disappointed in the abruptness of transitions and the lack of flow between ideas. The characters were nice enough, and elements of the book were intriguing, but it felt almost like a patchwork of great/classic ideas that weren't combined well. I read the Secret of Droon right after finishing this, and that series blew Wrenly o
Monique
Simon & Schuster publishers has come up with a number of terrific series geared to the transitional reader. 'The Kingdom of Wrenly' is one of them and suitable for readers aged 5-8 (not just the 5-7 that they recommend). For those readers not ready to leave the world of picture books behind (really, one should never have to though!), the short chapters, easy text and whimsical illustrations make this a delightful series for all. The first book in the series is "The Lost Stone", features eigh ...more
Terrah
Luke can't get enough of these books! Perfect for me to read aloud to him now, and in a few months they'll be great for him to read aloud to me. Cute pictures, great storylines, perfect beginning chapter books.
Jon Barber
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can see why my 9 year old enjoys this series. I may have to read the Hobbit with her soon.
Rachel
(My 6-year old son's rating and review.)

"This is a really good adventure! It's like a really awesome story. I like that there's so much adventures and I like the characters in the book."
Abigail Field
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
That prince Lucas likes to go on adventures and he tries to find his moms lost emerald his moms the queen
Shyla Colt
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An adorable chapter book I read with my child. Full of mystical creatures, a quest, and a quick lesson in cast systems. It's perfect for younger children who adore fantasy and adventure.
Chris

In The Lost Stone, Lucas and Clara search for Queen Tasha's missing emerald. On their exciting adventure, they travel to all the main attractions of Wrenly: Primlox (the island of fairies), Burth (the island of trolls), Crestwood (the island of dragons
Wren
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This series is very popular with young readers, good for reading aloud with its simple language and lovely black and white illustrations.

The crown prince of Wrenly is bored and lonely, having been forbidden to mingle with the peasant children. But after he sneaks away to school one day, his parents change their minds and allow him to rekindle a friendship with the seamstress's daughter. Wanting to explore the kingdom, Prince Lucas volunteers to look for the queen's lost emerald with Clara as his
Kristin DeGarmo
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a pretty good book for beginning readers. The sentence are simple and easy to follow. The characters are flat, but I expected that. The book touches on loneliness and being friends which I think is important. I also liked that Clara stood up for Lucas when the other children said that it was easy being a prince. It’s a good message to send to kids that they don’t always know what another person is experiencing. I picked this book up because he cover reminded me of a book series that I read ...more
Angie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
My Review: I had purchased this book completely on a whim and was very pleasantly surprised. I like that the main character is a prince instead of the so often seen princess (it will be something that Munchkin can reach for and possibly connect with). The story is simple but entertaining and it does a great job of building up the world and introducing characters to set up for the rest of the series. I also loved the illustration style throughout the story, it will give younger readers a great br ...more
Ginny Kaczmarek
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely series for new readers. Gentle story with heart and mild adventure, including magic, mermaids, and friendship. This is a pleasant introduction to a series that my second grader and I are enjoying so far.

Wish this book was less Eurocentric; I didn't see a single character of color. It does a decent job of nonstereotypical gender roles in the children, and to some degree, the king. Hoping other books in the series (there are a lot!) do better.
Erin
These books are the lightest of fantasy (a few magical creatures, etc) and the earliest of first chapter books. (Ok, not the earliest, but the font is pretty large.) They also definitely have fans in my library, although kids outgrow them quickly. They also make great bedtime read alouds for prereaders, since the series isn't just the same book again and again, like so many first chapter books. Kids thrive on that repetition, but most parents I know do not.
Heather Gunnell
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Staff Pick
Heather

Young Prince Lucas just wants a friend. His father finally gives in after Prince Lucas sneaks out to go to school with regular kids. He and his new friend Clara are off on an adventure after the Queen loses a precious stone. This is a fun fantasy series full of adventure and friendship.
EK
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic example of a first chapter book for young readers: engaging black/white drawings to support the story, large typeface, short chapters and a interesting story with a not-to-complicated plot. The fantasy/magic genre and with a boy-girl best friend team adds to the charm. Being the first in a series
is a plus as well.
Sarah Rubin
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun and easy chapter book with adventure and friendship. My son loved it...had me read the whole thing in one sitting! He also asked questions about it, like why can't a prince play with the regular kids in the kingdom? and such. Great opportunity to discuss change in history and differences of opinion on such things.
Kelsie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018, 2-stars
Perfectly acceptable early chapter book series, although everything happened VERY easily for the characters. Maybe more development will happen in later books.

(Read for a school age program at the library)
Mauri
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, adventure
Such a cute book for young readers. The prince, Lucas, and his friend, Clara, go on a quest to find his mother's missing emerald. They encounter wizards, fairies, and trolls in their search. A fun start to an adventure series. My 7 year old loved it.
Gary VanRiper
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Appears will be a fun series for the targeted age group. Book One uses an adventure to introduce readers to the main characters and to give an overview of locations throughout the entire region where future adventures in the series will take place.
Erin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Great read aloud for my kindergarten and second grader. We read the whole book in one sitting. Great pictures to go along with each page (similar to Princess in Black, but not in color). We are looking forward to going through the whole series.
David Smither
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A clever little tale for middle grades, this book is a great introduction to fantasy elements.
Unique feature: Wizards as a race(?)
Genre: Fantasy (Real genre: Kingdom of Wrenly/Fantasy)
  • Saving the Sun Dragon (Dragon Masters #2)
  • The Mystery of the Gold Coin
  • Meet the Bigfeet (The Yeti Files, #1)
  • Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack, #1)
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Buzz Boy And Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #9)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Let's Get Cracking! (Kung Pow Chicken #1)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Jessica Finch in Pig Trouble
  • Emma and the Blue Genie
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • The Lonely Lake Monster (The Imaginary Veterinary, #2)
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Diary of a Mad Brownie
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend

The Kingdom of Wrenly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Scarlet Dragon (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #2)
  • Sea Monster! (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #3)
  • The Witch's Curse (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #4)
  • Adventures in Flatfrost (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #5)
  • Beneath the Stone Forest  (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #6)
  • Let the Games Begin! (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #7)
  • The Secret World of Mermaids (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #8)
  • The Bard and the Beast (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #9)
  • The Pegasus Quest (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #10)
  • The False Fairy (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99