Start by marking “History of Fire (Elemental Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
History of Fire (Elemental Fire, #1)

History of Fire

(A Dark Faerie Tale #5)

No one knows the secrets he keeps.

No one knows of the worlds that exist right alongside ours.

Benton is human, but he walks the line between two worlds: the mundane and the supernatural; the commonplace and the extraordinary. As a rare Fire Elemental Warlock, he finds himself in trouble more often than he cares to admit. It doesn’t help that his sister is a Faery Queen of t
Paperback, 1st Edition
Published September 15th 2014 by Lyrical Lit. Publishing

To ask other readers questions about History of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of Fire

J.T. Lewis
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexia Purdy has done it again in History of Fire.

Expanding her faerie universe of her Dark Faerie Tale series, we now follow Shade's brother, Benton as he tries to clean up the mess left by the Unseelie in the human world.

I really like Benton's character. He has a lot of brass, with a bold toughness that USUALLY doesn't take any gruff from anybody.

When he finally does meet his match after being seriously overwhelmed, he inadvertently sets loose a course of action that threatens to bring down S
Rabid Reader
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this spin off story from the Dark Faeiry Tales that follows Benton (who is a Fire Elemental and the Sealie Queen's brother) as he attempts to clean up the unsealie that had escaped into the human world. I enjoyed Benton's character; he is tough, fierce, determined but somewhat impulsive and at times cares little for his own safety. Even though he seems to act before thinking, which causes big problems for Shade, you can not help but like him. In this book we also begin to get so ...more
LoveBooksAndCats
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got An ARC copy of this story and here my review which is very late not coz of book but my health and other issues.

Well what to say though I haven't read the series before and in the beginning I had this feeling ( u know the one when u KNOW u haven't attended previous lectures and suddenly the surprise test is announced at the end of lecture and u just freak out well that was my condition) but I agree to what Alexia said that u won't need to read the series to read the book.It is very well wri
Autumn
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, arc
I received an ARC copy to give an honest review.
Like what it says in the blurb you can totally read this book as a stand alone but if you want back story on other characters or just the lay of the Faerie land than you should read the others.
This is all about Benton and we get to see what he does and who he is exactly. Benton rather stay in the human world than be in the faerie world. In a way I don't blame him, especially with the food that the faerie's eat. Burgers sound so much more delish al
Cindy Williams
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An honest review given in exchange for the ARC.

Holding this new book .... I closed my eyes and I am back in Alexia's world. Back where my heart was living waiting for the next book. I met up with a few of my old friends and I got to know some more of the background of Shade's family.

This book is a spin off of the Dark Faerie Tales. The spotlight is now on Brandon, Shades brother who is an elemental Warlock. Brandon is fighting off Seelies that escaped and are in the human world. Come and enter t
Shannon
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC to read of History of Fire by Alexia Purdt[book:History of Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale #5)|18048957}. I was concerned that I might need to reread a portion of book four (Ever Wrath) but I found that Alexia Purdy included enough history to jog my memory, but not so much that it felt like it was repeating too much. This is not just Benton's story, but a history of the family and all Fire Elementals. I was right there with Benton as he tried to balance his human life with that of th ...more
Lavinia Urban
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of all of the books I have read of Alexia Purdy's I have to say that the A Dark Faerie Tale series is by far the best. Through the other books in the series we follow the story of Shade so it was almost refreshing to hear the story about one of her brothers Benton who is a Fire Elemental Warlock, and it makes me wonder if there will be stories from Anna in the near future and possibly James as he grows. After reading this book I definitely want to read one about Anna.
So let's get back to thi
Venetiaffxi
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
History of Fire was an excellent spin off from its original series. Benton was one of my favorite characters from the books and to finally get an inside look at his personality and thoughts was awesome. In this book we began to get more of a back story on the history of not only Benton's family, but also the history of the Elementals. The Dark Faerie story line focused more on Shade and her story as she joined the land of faerie. This book starts after the big fight with the Unseelie court and m ...more
Doris
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*I was provided a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

I LOVE BENTON!!!
It's no secret that I am in love with all things Fae, and The Dark Faerie Tales Series is my absolute favorite! So when I heard Alexia Purdy was coming out with a Benton spin off.... #fangirl!!!
OMGee!!! We met Benton when we were following the story of his sister and her quest to right the wrongs of her people and reclaim her rightful place. For Benton though, he isn't part Fae- he's human. Benton just happen
Shannon
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
History of Fire is the first in Alexia Purdy's "Elemental Fire" series, which is a spin-off from her "Dark Faerie Tale" series, and it does not disappoint! This series is told from Benton's point of view and includes all of the characters that we have come to love and new characters to take up the mantle of the villain.

I love learning about Benton, Anna, and James's experiences in their Pyren, with their mother before she died. The excerpts from one of the older grimoires was a nice addition an
Kendra
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still captivated by this series! This book takes us into Benton's mind and follows along as he battles the escaped Unseelie to extinguish them from the human world. This while reading and learning from all their ancestors in their grimiors, showing the history of their elemental magic and lots of helpful spells. Our world lives right alongside the faerie world, only the world is actually much larger than any humans can see, with large sections actually missing off of our maps that make up the fa ...more
Amy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I heard the news that there was going to be another book I was so excited I couldn't wait to get the book and dive in! Not only were we getting to go back to Shade, her friends and the magic that awaits but also to be introduced to a character that's not so much new but felt new because we only got to see him on the sidelines .. in this book we get to learn his history, some awesomesauce spells, and one heck of an adventure! (and it's coolness beyond your belief!!!)
Benton (Shade's brother)
Stacey
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a ARC COPY REVIEW AND AN AWESOME READ ..
Shade and her family as well as her duties as being queen and her brother who must kill the unseelie who are in the human world who escaped in the battle in the last book now he faces feelings for another Queen whom was once mated before her mate died in a previous book she also her name is Sary whom goes to confront her brother who can obsorb faery powers from others as well as elementals .,, and they meet Zena who has sight into fae how well to f
Kaila
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this more then 5 stars I totally would. I love this author's writing... her plots are amazing. I love that I HAVE to read these books in one sittin (not able to anymore but I sure come close). I love how much action and feelings are in this book. I get drawn into the characters and don't want to leave. I cannot wait for the next one and I highly recommend this book and all of her others to all my friends and everyone else.
Megan
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fans of this series will love this book. We didn't get much of Benton before but now we are thrust into his head as he deals with his family in Faery and ridding humans on the Unseelie scum. We also get more history of their family's past and ancestors. This was an adventurous twist filled read. Can't wait to see what's to come next.
Barbara Senteney
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment/book is told from the point of view of Benton, the younger brother of Queen Shade of the Seelie Court. He has become sort of a assassin who hunts down rogue and banished Fae who invade the human realm wreaking havoc.
A lot of good adventure and fighting.
Jenn
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ive read the series upto now, Alexia's other books in the series A Dark Faerie Tale are really really good, riveting, cant put down type of books, so when i read this one i knew i was in for a really good read, and i wasnt disappointed. This book kept my full attention on every page, i really felt for Benton, felt sorry for him in places, i wanted to jump into the pages to defend him. This book felt alive for me, makes me look in shadows to see if anything is hiding there. It makes you wonder if ...more
Rae Ryans
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for books from the male point-of-view. Don't ask me why, but I find it refreshing. For those unfamiliar with author Alexia Purdy, she writes on the darker side of fantasy, and I've been reading since the beginning of the series when she hooked me with Evershade.

But this is Benton's story and Benton is my kind of guy. He isn't whiny but he isn't overdone either. There's a balance in him that he must find, a journey.

The writing style is carefree and easy classic of Alexia Purdy making
Tanya Johnson
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is a spin-off The Dark Faerie Tales and can be read without ever reading the other books. This book is about Benton and is place in the faerie world. His sister Shade is now queen and he is struggling to fit in, in either the human or faerie world. See Benton isn't half human-half faerie like his sister he is full blooded human and is a fire warlock (totally cool!).

I absolutely loved this story of Benton, he is such a great character and it was awesome learning more about him and how
cheryle ables
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History of Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale Book 5

Great book. Follows the saga of Shade and her siblings. Each installment of the series continues to get better and better. Benton and Sary have trouble getting their relationship past just friends because of her royal status. Who knows when that will happen. Maybe by the next book. Good reading for anyone who loves series.
Sheri
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alexia-purdy
A look into the life of Shade's brother Benton. This book picks up where Shade's ends. There are surprised throughout the whole book that will have you wanting more. You learn from this story the history of the magical powers that Benton, his little brother, his little sister and Shade possess, fire. I do hope there is more to their story.
Heidi
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this captivating story. The unique concept easily swept me in and kept me entertained. The combination of elemental magic and the Faire realm is not something you see all the time. This is a spinoff of another series Alexia did and she carried the characters over very well. I can't wait to find out what happens to Anna. I am looking forward to the next book
Stella Kiel
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again Alexia has taken us away in the land Faerie. I very much enjoyed Shade's adventure and Evangeline's, now with Benton's adventure, I'm one happy reader!!
Tabi Ann
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Beautiful Story

Reading this series you cannot help but fall in love with all the different characters and their role in the story as a whole. This story we learn more about Benton and their family history, at least the fire elemental side. Benton has become a fighting machine in helping his sister take care of the unseelies that are out in the human world.

Along his travels he meets people, gives his heart away to someone who can't have it, and even loses something. Through all of his tri
Jennifer Treviño
Exciting & Entertaining
I have enjoyed this series more & more as I read/listen. History of Fire offered a nice spin from Benton’s viewpoint, & was never lacking on the thrills of the fae realm. The scene with Oron had me so nervous as I did not see that coming! I’m still unsure how I feel about Seery’s reaction though. Looking forward to book 6!
Michelle VanDaley
My review is based on the audiobook. This story follows Benton's journey and is filled with great characters and amazing world building. It is fast paced and action packed. The narrator did a fantastic job bringing the story and characters to life. Looking forward to more in the series and from this author.
Amanda
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awes9me read

I love the detail in these stories, I can picture everything I read in my mind with very little effort
Teresa Jonsson
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Another great read. Benton, Shade, Anna, Dylan...Awesome main characters which make you want to read more. So now onto how does Benton find Zena and help Soap.
Lady
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets Hidden In The Past Surface

This series must be read in order. The first book is The Withering Palace. The second book is Evangeline. The third book is Ever Shade. The fourth book is Ever Fire. The fifth book is Ever Winter. The sixth book is The Cursed. The seventh book is Ever Wrath. This is the eighth book. It is also considered to be the first book in a spin-off series. I can't wait to read Ever Dead!

It came as a shock to Benton that he was born into a family of powerful Elementals. S
""Nice digs. I feel the Egyptian getaway theme going on here". No one answered me. I was starting to fel ignored, but it wasn't bothering me."

Just could not get into this one. I didn't like the writing and the main character was like a six year old in a man's body...so annoying and then creepy at times.

• Sage (The Evolution, #2)
  • Moonfall: Tales from the Levant
  • Path Unchosen (Daughter of Ravenswood #1)
  • Opal Summerfield and the Battle of Fallmoon Gap
  • Severed (Starwalkers Serial #1)
  • Division Zero (Division Zero, #1)
  • Faery Realms: Ten Magical Titles: Multi-Author Bundle of Novels & Novellas (Faery Worlds Book 2)
  • Stakeout (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.5)
  • Hawk Fae (The World of Fae, #6)
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • Caelihn (The Otherworld Series, #7)
  • A Story of Summers
  • Origins and Impulse (The Arcadia Falls Chronicles #7)
  • Chosen Blood (The Sisters' Grimoire #2)
  • Shadow Blood: Kallen's Tale (Witch Fairy 4.5)
  • Rourk (Keegan's Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Wardbreaker (The Lillim Callina Chronicles, #0.5)
Alexia currently lives in Las Vegas, Nevada–Sin City! She loves to spend every free moment writing or playing with her four rambunctious kids. Writing has always been her dream and she has been writing ever since she can remember. She loves writing paranormal fantasy and poetry and devours books daily. Alexia also enjoys watching movies, dancing, singing loudly in the car and Italian food.

A Dark Faerie Tale (8 books)
  • Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tale, #1)
  • Ever Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale, #2)
  • Ever Winter (A Dark Faerie Tale, #3)
  • Ever Wrath (A Dark Faerie Tale, #4)
  • Ever Dead (A Dark Faerie Tale, #6)
  • Legends of Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale #7; Elemental Fire #2)
  • Guardians of Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale #8)
“The past is a jealous warrior. It pokes and prods for undivided attention when it is the present which needs the most nourishment.” 3 likes