Start by marking “Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)” as Want to Read:
Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)

Better Than Good

(Better Than #1)

Matt Sullivan understands labels: law student, athlete, heterosexual. He has goals: graduate and begin his career in law. One fateful night, Matt tags along with his gay roommate to a dance club and everything changes. Matt finds himself attracted to the most beautiful man he's ever seen. All labels go flying out the window.

Aaron Mendez doesn't believe in labels, and he’s
ebook, 1st edition, 200 pages
Published July 8th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published July 7th 2013)

Start your review of Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Hi book!

*smiles shyly and winks*

Oh what a sweet and glorious out-for-you book this was! I adored the crap out of it. I mean, what's not to love?! A simple love story with a slow burn romance and a fabulous audiobook narrator to boot? Just perfection.

I was so addicted to this audiobook that I listened to the entire thing in 24 hours. That is 6 hours and 5 minutes of listening or 1/4 of my day. Dedication, folks! I listened driving to work, between patients, on my entire 1.5 hour lunch break
Mona
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fucking-awesome, m-m
**4.3 Better Than Good Stars**
This was definitely better than good.
description

This was outstanding!! I'm truly surprised by how touched and happy I am by this sweet read. From the lovable and amusing characters...to the new and fragile love they share. I was simply enchanted by this delightful story.
description

Matt aka Matty, is straight and has a girlfriend. His priorities are set to graduate, become a lawyer and move on to bigger dreams. But things change for Matt...from a simple glance and an instant
Macky
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really hope people don't dismiss this because its GFY, if they do then they're missing out on a real treat. I loved this sweet, romantic story. If any GFY book gets it right, its this one. What impressed me was that never once did I suspend belief in Matts transition from being " straight" and having a girlfriend to the Matt, who becomes enchanted with the beautiful Aaron, from the moment he sees him on the dance floor of a gay club he visits with his gay friend Curt.

Lane Hayes has got this
Dia
5 BETTER THAN GOOD stars for this SWEET story

I already mentioned in another review that I LOVE Lane Hayes. Her writing style is one of my favorites! So besides A kind of stories, I wanted to try some of her other books. The Better Than series was recommended to me by my sweet friend, Book Faerie, and as expected, I loved each and every word.

This story was HOT and SWEET in the same time! The chemistry is great and both guys were really hot.

Matt is a 24 years old law student, with a
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5--Better Than Good--Stars!

Dare I say....even GREAT!

This book made me so happy!

It was just so romantical...

I loved the development of Aaron and Matty's relationship.

Matt is the stereotypical jock. He's in law school, straight, lives with 2 other guys. But has a gay friend. It's while he's out at a gay club that Matt meets Aaron.

Matt is immediately attracted to Aaron. But Aaron has a girlfriend.

So yes, be warned...for those that are against cheating. Nothing really happens between Aaron and
Kade Boehme
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simple, sweet and just effing great! I needed Matt. He's great and Aaron is fabulous, tho he never let Matt explain himself thoroughly. This author did such a wonderful job. <3

And I love that Matt had already had a gay experience so his acceptance of his bisexuality was rather easy. IDK why people keep billin at as GFY. Matt totally admits his attraction to other men. Just sayin...
Ami
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Mandapanda
3.75 stars rounded up

For the most part, this story is a wonderful "out-for-you" story. But I just can't get rid my discomfort with the set up. I will point out what I loved about it first.

Like what other reviewers have said, the attraction was instant, right from the first time straight (or bi, if you want to go with label) Matt met the out and proud and beautiful Aaron at a gay bar. However, there was an actual progress from than moment on. Matt couldn't stop thinking about Aaron, and he
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Note to self : download July 8th

Dear DSP, would you consider reminder emails for your loyal customers that pre-order your books, you know, saying dear you, your pre-ordered book is waiting on your bookshelf . :)
Ps Samhain does it. :P

Just a thought, that I will keep mentioning.

Matt is straight, Aaron is not.
Yet, they are both attracted to each other, and find it hard to stay away.
I liked both of these guys and the pace was nice and believable, I did really miss Aaron's POV though. It's all told
Tina
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance

Nice book. The writing style took me a little getting used to but after reading 10% I couldn't put the book down anymore.
I don't like GFY stories at all, so I was first reluctant reading it. But this one is more an out-for-you romance. Matt has been together with a boy once a long time ago. So, no GFY, but a guy taking stock of himself, coming to terms with his bisexuality and meeting finally the right one.

Aaron is such a cute guy. He knows what he wants. He's out and proud and doesn't want a
Karla
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

I was stalking*ahem* I mean browsing through a GR friend shelve's and discover a wonderful book/author and that's how I found "Better than good" and it sure was dam good!

There was something so sweet and endearing about the story of Matt and Aaron. I loved everything about their relationship how they meet at a club and Matt is just so mesmerized by the sexiness of Aaron. They definitely had the lust at first sight. But for Matt, it was crazy to be attracted to Aaron so much
Ky
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018

I'm going to be super unoriginal and say the obvious: This really was "Better than Good"!

I don't have any complains about the plot, the characters, the execution or the editing. I liked everything and I'm going on to read every single one of the series' books which feature characters we met here (except from the last one I think but it doesn't matter, I want them all!).

Matt, or Matty, and Aaron were polar opposites. I think the only thing in common that they had was their attraction to
Denise H.
***** Lane Hayes gives us amazing characters ! *****

Matt, tall, handsome law student, and sports fan,

is rendered speechless by small, slim, sweet,
Aaron, a femme, beautiful man of Puerto Rican decent.

They are so opposite ! One thing they do have in common is running, so that comes in handy. Aaron is sassy, sexy, out-and-proud, with eyeliner and lip gloss. Matt, nose to the grindstone hard worker, is ready to explore his "bi" tendencies with Aaron. With his thrill for life's delights,
.Lili.
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to .Lili. by: Mona ' s Review
 photo imagejpg1_zpsee409c39.jpg
Honestly, this book was delicious. Great story and characters. Matt and Aaron met upon chance at club one night and there was an instant attraction. At that time nothing happened but Aaron was never far from Matt's thoughts. This a story about two men- one who is ready to take a chance on the unknown. Matt's never been in a relationship with a man. Aaron, is out and proud- and hesitant to start anything with Matt.

Gosh, this book had me from the beginning. The characters were delightful. I loved
Fabi
There's no unnecessary drama, no miscommunication, nothing to take away from a beautiful love story.

A bisexual man falls in love with a gay man. The logistics, no, wait, let's call them what they are, fear and uncertainty. The biggest issue is how to trust. Yourself and each other. But the overriding feel to the story is two people finding "the one".
“...I’m a fucking mess. He’s all I can think about. I can’t sleep, I can barely concentrate at school and work. Shit! I don’t know what’s wrong
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
"Remember when you said that there are no guarantees, but you want something that feels like the real thing. You are that to me."

Better Than Good was such a disappointment for me. I had so many hight hopes from it. I had read so many great reviews about this book. Lane Hayes is known as one of the best MM Romance writer and i was really excited to finally read something written by her. But really i've read many under-rated books which was so much better than this, Better than good.

I also had
Eli Easton
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a nice, solid romance. Danny is a gorgeous out-and-proud man and Matt is a law student who might be bi, but he's always dated women. They meet in a gay club and it's instant chemistry for Matt.

I liked how strong Danny was--he wasn't willing to be Matt's dirty little secret. Most of the plot comes from Matt trying to come to terms with being in a relationship with a man. The romance is good, but I would have liked to have seen more of the 'hard stuff' at the end -- like Matt acknowledging
Mandapanda
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Excellent out-for-you romance. Just the sort of story I like where the passion and romance between the two MC's seems to occur in a bubble as everything on the outside becomes less important. Matt has a girlfriend at the beginning but that relationship is not serious and he breaks up with her soon enough. Reminds me a lot of Boys of Summer which is a favourite reread of mine. Looking forward to more novels from this author.
Heller
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved Aaron but I was glad that this story was from Matthew's POV. He did quite a few things that had me throwing the side-eye at him so I liked being in his head so I could see where he was coming from with some of his choices.

This was an interesting GFY story. Slow moving and believable build-up between the characters. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it even with my ever growing frustration with how Matthew treated the people around him. (view spoiler)
Isabel
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, m-m, gfy
This is a sweet love story, about two men, Aaron and Matt, one gay and one straight, that have a casual encounter on a gay bar! After that, Matt can only think about Aaron, and could only imagine his future with him! They are lovely together!

I wish the book was longer, and that we could read more about these guys...

photo 859798_zpsf1920f68.jpg
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
Rightio......

So I don't really watch the telly anymore, prefer a book to be honest. So I only watch a hand full of things and usually that's when the season is over so I'll watch them all at once. This means that every now and again I feel the need to read something that is a bit mindless and I guess is my very own version of reality TV or I don't know... whatever other stuff the kids are into these days.

This book was kind of that for me. It was an easy read, a simple love story that was just
Otila
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Audiobook 9/1/2015 - 9/3/15

I absolutely adore this book and I loved the narration.

This story is light and sweet and very romantic. Your Song leaves me all gooey inside.

Aaron is adorable.

Matt is adorable.

This story is adorable.

I hadn't noticed how much the word adorable is used until I listened to the audiobook. It's fine, though. It doesn't take away from its adorableness.

*clears throat*
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the
Eva
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful solid romance

GFY

Gorgeous guys

Yummy

"I needed to figure out who I was, what I wanted. Because I couldn’t deny I wanted Aaron.”

Especially with the backstory of Matt having been together with a boy, during high-school. Deep down he already knew about himself, that he was bi-sexual. No insta-love, but a young man coming to terms with his sexuality and meeting the
Bev
Another book that's been on the Kindle for months. Mixed up Matt and out and definitely proud Aaron made a really nice couple...yes I groaned when they were in The Whistler as I had a good idea of the choice of song that Matt would use to convince Aaron he really loved him, but all in all, the book was Better than Good, even if there wasn't much of a plot. All the friends were supportive, and setting the story in DC meant that the author could weave a little history into the book as well. 4 ...more
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2016
3,5 - 3,75 stars Aaron and Matt. Two complete opposite.
A lovely story. From Matt's pov and that is a shortcoming.
Aaron is more colorful and with more living emotions. Both povs would really make this story.
It was a good read and sometimes it really had me. But mostly it felt for me a bit plain.
Aaron could be so much more described, he has such potential and that really didn't come out in full glory in this story.
Believe me it was entertaining but plain, but definitely worth reading.
Melissa
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This was really good. Matt's journey of discovery about himself felt extrememly genuine. Aaron as well felt real and his reaction to Matt and the fact that Matt is figuring out who he is. I highly recommend.

Some parts of the story dragged but i enjoyed seeing Matt and Aaron LEARNING about each other and spending time not in bed. I SO enjoyed that. Too often couples "love" each other and we don't know why because ee don't know THEM. Here, i knew them and could SEE what they saw in each
Wendy
So....I figured I would read this one before continuing with better than safe. I really liked this one, it was really sweet and I loved Aaron and Matt together. I'm a real sucker for gfy stories ;)

There were some things I was a bit dissapointed about however. First of all...the steam. I would have liked a bit more steam and a bit less fade to black. That's not to day that there wasn't any steam, but a lot of it was hinted at, bit not described. I like my details people !!!!

I also would have
Anke
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Started and couldn't stop reading, well-rounded, believable pace from being with girlfriend to falling in love with a man. Especially with the backstory of Matt having been together with a boy, if only once, during high-school, I think. Deep down he already knew about himself, that he was bi-sexual. So, no GFY, no insta-love, but a young man coming to terms with his sexuality and meeting the right one to be able to acknowledge it to his friends. If there was something missing, for me ...more
Jewel
Can you believe Better Than Good was my first Lane Hayes book? I know, where the hell have I been? I actually bought this book the summer of 2015, too. Why, oh why, did it take me this long to read it? Well, better late to the party than never arriving!

Matt Sullivan has been attracted to guys before, but has only acted on it once - back in his freshman year of college when he was drunk and at a party. Not ideal, for sure. It was easier dating girls, so that's what he did, assuming that someday
Alvin
This was adorable! This is right at my wheel house. Low angst, fluffity floof.

I really liked Matt. Aside from the subtle overlap he had with his ex, I thought everything he did in this story was right. I liked Aaron as well. Yeah he's kinda stereotypical but every concern he had was valid. I liked them both together. I was already rooting for them from the start. Even when Matt was still with his ex.

There's not really much I don't like in this one. I felt (view spoiler)
BWT (Belen)
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
So the narration is good. Solid 4 Stars for the narration.

Story is 2 Stars.

I just cannot rate this higher because the whole thing unraveled for me pretty quickly.

The whole miscommunication, cheating in the beginning, and then the really abrupt ending really dip the rating on this for me. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten about that and bought the audio and was several hours in before I realized, yes I've read this and yes, it drove me batshit crazy.

(view spoiler)
Dreamspinner Press: Better Than Chance by Lane Hayes 1 12 Jan 22, 2014 11:54PM
Dreamspinner Press: Better Than Good by Lane Hayes 8 56 Aug 08, 2013 06:36PM

• Out in the Open (Browerton University, #1)
  • Knight of Ocean Avenue (Love in Laguna, #1)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • The Law of Attraction
  • A Breath Apart
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • Watching and Wanting (Housemates, #4)
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Stay with Me (The PI Guys, #1)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1-7)
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe (Blame It on the Mistletoe, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Helping Hand (Housemates, #1)
  • Plan B
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
Lane Hayes is grateful to finally be doing what she loves best. Writing full-time! It’s no secret Lane loves a good romance novel. An avid reader from an early age, she has always been drawn to well-told love story with beautifully written characters. These days she prefers the leading roles to both be men. Lane discovered the M/M genre a few years ago and was instantly hooked. Her debut novel was ...more

Better Than (4 books)
  • Better Than Chance (Better Than, #2)
  • Better Than Friends (Better Than, #3)
  • Better Than Safe (Better Than, #4)
“Be honest about who you are and good things will come.” 14 likes