Start by marking “House of Blades (Traveler's Gate, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Blades (Traveler's Gate, #1)

House of Blades

(Traveler's Gate #1)

Simon can only watch, helpless, as his family is killed and his friends captured by enemy Travelers—men and women who can summon mystical powers from otherworldly Territories. To top it off, another young man from Simon's village discovers that he's a savior prophesied to destroy evil and save the realm.

Prophecy has nothing to say about Simon. He has no special powers, no
Published June 1st 2013 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about House of Blades, please sign up.
Bruce Boragine I heard part of the audiobook. I tried to listen to it for one hour. That's all I could stand. It might be a good book, but I couldn't handle the read…moreI heard part of the audiobook. I tried to listen to it for one hour. That's all I could stand. It might be a good book, but I couldn't handle the readers speech patterns and cadence. He seemed to rush trough parts he knew too well.(less)

Start your review of House of Blades (Traveler's Gate, #1)
Jan 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have a lot of questions that need to be answered from this book.
I feel like it was completely thrown together with no consistent thread. Just a bunch of ideas, that although with the right execution would have been great, failed miserably.
I am more disappointed at the high reviews -- my expectations were so much greater than what was delivered.

I don't even know where to begin because I am so confused and..and..and..dammit!!

The book starts out with our main character, Simon, as a young boy, and
Terence
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a boy Simon's father was killed and his mother driven insane by Travelers. Simon only survived thanks to a powerful stranger who intervened. This stranger offered to teach Simon when he got a little older, but Simon didn't return as he was busy taking care of his mother. 8 years later Simon's village is attacked, villagers are taken hostage, and others scatter. When Simon and some of the others who fled are found, a young man from his village Alin miraculously becomes a prophesied traveler an ...more
Jason
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
4.5 Stars

House of Blades is an unexpected gem of a fantasy. It has it all. It is a coming of age story. There is a great deal of world building. Our main hero Simon is a likable lead that is easy to identify with his motives. Most importantly Will Wight has created both a cool main plot line as well as an awesome magic system.

To me the magic of this book sets it apart. I am always looking for the next cool thing that can stand up with The Force, Allomancy, and of course Saidin/Saidar. Travelers
Katherine Coble
This is a book for people who enjoy fantasy novels that sound like He-Man cartoons. I have no idea why it's so beloved on Amazon; the characters aren't at all engaging and neither is the story. If you like to read a book where there are endless battles without any apparent rules and a lot of baroque magic weapons (like dragonflies made of lightning with lightning bolt stingers that dissolve your flesh) then this is the book for you.

If you're looking for a story with characters who appeal to you
Lori Palle
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“They folded clothes, dusted shelves, polished swords; except for the periodic murder attempts, they were perfect hosts.”–Simon’s thoughts, House of Blades

In every prophecy destined to save the world, there is always a savior that everyone waits for to unite the people against tyranny. And then there’s the guy standing next to the worshiped savior with an eyebrow raised and an expression that says ‘seriously?’ Well, this is the story of that guy. Just a regular guy with nothing going for him exc
Lori Budd
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book could have been so much more. The concept was great, but the follow through not so much. I am glad that I didn't pay for the book, but upset that I wasted my "prime" book of the month on it. I could not get over how much poor dialogue there is. I can not count, nor would I want to, how many times Simon asked himself "What could I do? I have no powers. What can I do, even though Lea is able to stand up to these people. What could I do? Alin could take care of it. What could I do this, W ...more
Robert Thompson
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
House of Blades is such an endearing tale. Shocking, I know.

The synopsis doesn't do this novel justice. Simon has a few problems. First of which being that his parents keep dying. Second, his village seems to be going the way or his parents. Third? He's definitely looking likely to be next in line to die.

Simon's problems seem to change suddenly. His life gets more complicated(more problems). He's still unable to do anything. That needs to change. Just when he thinks it's all over he is saved, or
Dianna
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I respect the vision Will Wight had for this world as its a fascinating one with a really interesting magic system, but I feel like there was a disconnect between his imagination and what he ended up capturing on paper. Aside from the interesting world setting, everything else fell flat for me...the writing, the characters, the transition from scene to scene.

The dialogue and the writing itself was awkward for most of the book...there was a scene between Simon and his parents in the very first ch
Eric
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

This was a book I really wanted to like, but sadly didn’t like nearly as much as I’d hoped. The book starts off with some pretty interesting stuff going on. A boy sees a tragedy. Then another, pushing him toward a desperate path because he’s willing to do anything to be able to make up for what he perceives as his past failures to protect those around him.

First, the good stuff. And despite the low rating there definitely was some good stuff. The author kept things moving along, the act
Mark Halse
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply put, this book is awesome! This isn't your garden variety multiple POV epic fantasy novel.

It's like Pokemon meets THE NAME OF THE WIND meets THE WAY OF SHADOWS. Perhaps not as well written as those two books but a very original magic system and excellent story which kept me interested and guessing.

This book did have some rough patches. Like I said, it's not the best written book I've read but the story is fun and rewarding.

If you haven't picked this one up yet it is a must read! Highly,
Lazybee
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is one of the finest books I have read this year. I am really glad I read this book.
As for the story, it follows around three teenagers and their adventures. It is a pleasant read and will engross you soon. And this book will keep us doubting the light and dark. Highly recommended.
Peter
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
A boy experiences some horrific event in his childhood which he later uses as motivation to go out into the big, bad world to fight injustice after some cliche inciting incident. Along the way, he meets a mentor who begrudgingly agrees to train him in the use of magic which takes up most of the 2nd act. Finally, our plucky hero, who's nowhere near ready enough to face the bad guy of the story, but does so anyway, has a big fight sequence where he inevitably wins with the help of some deus ex mac ...more
Esme
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I knew nothing about this book going in besides people saying it was a good series on r/fantasy. I read it via audiobook and I was a bit hesitant when I saw it was read by the author himself, before this book Ive never enjoyed books that were read by the authors because they didn't have the voice acting ability to match the number of characters in their stories. I was pleasantly surprised that Will Wight really did a great job with this, I wouldn't have known it wasn't voiced by a professional n ...more
Joel
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting concept of magic, albeit mixed in a slightly generic story arc. You can say the main character isn't prophesied, but it's the same traumatic thing happens - generic younger male character needs to save/rescue/defeat/etc - cue training montage - fin. The writing is a bit spotty, though decent overall, however there are patches that felt fairly amateur.

The magic concept - Travelers - was pretty fresh to me, and an interesting idea. Simon is essentially thrown into a clown funhouse tha
Stephanie Tibbs
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is filled to the rim with imagination. The concepts were really fun and original which I found refreshing; however I wasn't quite sure which route this book was trying to take? At times it looked as if this booked was aiming for an epic, deep story and then at times it read like something short of the wizard of oz... It was a little confusing. I feel like the tone of the book should stick to one pov throughout the whole thing... But that could just be me.

I also wish there was more dia
Book Haunt
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
House of Blades (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy #1) by Will Wight Eight year old Simon had heard stories of The Travelers from his mother, but did not know what to actually believe about them.   While on a trip, Simon and his parents have a run-in with a couple of them.  Simon watches as his father is killed and his mother is badly hurt.  Another Traveler comes along and fights the two killers off and tells Simon to return to him in the future if he wishes to learn his ways.

Flash forward to Simon
Emily
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a weak 3 stars. It wasn't terrible, but it was really stupid in places. This 16 year old kid, with no combat training, finds a magical soldier to teach him in order to save the princess (never read that plot before). In just six weeks he not only becomes(basically) a master swordsman and magician but he accomplishes what (apparently) takes others a lifetime to learn.

One of my major peeves in any book is when characters have vital information, and plenty of time to share it, but they nev
Ed
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picked off the goodreads 'under the radar' list. This is a story of prophecy and a hero who will save the world.
And it's not about that hero. It's about Simon, who lives in the same village, and who has been looking after his mother - who's been ill for many years, since his family was attacked. He's not the hero who saves the village from raiders, because he's the guy helping his mum to safety.

And he's not prepared to wait for the 'saviour' to come, because some of his friends have been lead
Rob
Executive Summary: OK, but not great. So far I much prefer his more recent Cradle series instead.

Full Review
When Will Wight was first recommended to me, this was the book/series that was mentioned. Instead I got a free copy of Unsouled and devoured that series.

I decided I should circle back and read this series while I'm waiting on the next book in that series. I struggled a bit with this book. It's not bad, but I didn't like it nearly as much as his Cradle stuff.

My main issue is that I didn
Joey
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The book starts out a bit slowly. The beginning of most fantasy trilogies read like a tutorial level plays in a videogame. You're not really playing the game, just learning the rules of the game and how to get around.

House of Blades is no different. It doesn't help that the protagonist, Simon, is especially incompetent--another disappointingly common fantasy trope that's been beaten to death over the last couple decades.

In any case, the book finally gets going at full speed at about the 80% mark
Scot
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I gave up on this one 58% though (and the last ~20% of that I really just skimmed).

This world has potential, and I feel like the author has some interesting ideas to explore, but I couldn't get into it at all. Lots of action and extreme suffering and interesting powers - but the characters weren't interesting or likable, and the storyline felt erratic and didn't draw me in.

Another reviewer said it best when she compared the book to a He-Man cartoon.
Jason
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
House of Blades is a story about a boy named Simon whose village is attacked by the kings soldiers because he wants them to be sacrificed. He escapes with the help of his friend named Leah who acts as a distraction for Simon who then runs away from the village and stumbles upon the area to where many of the village people had escaped. Simon goes into the wilderness trying to find the “Demon” of the forest who saved him when he was a young boy when his family was attacked by Travelers who are hum ...more
Kristobelle
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun and Thoughtful!

Honestly, one of the coolest entertaininment fantasies that I've read in a while. A kind of Lewis Carroll, assassin training, comedy mash up.. With sentient, telepathic dolls. Yup. *shudders*

Sure it's kind of weird, with some of the kookiest characters out there - but in the best way! I truly appreciated the snickets of humour blended into the dark patches, or the dark humour blended into the light. There's a nice balance that stops it becoming to deathly serious, or too farci
Adrian
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very well written, it maintained my interest from the beginning until the end. The story is well constructed, interesting and in places quite gripping. I found that you can connect with the characters and I enjoyed how they have developed through the book and look forward to reading book two.

This is the best example of good fantasy fiction that I have seen for quite a while.
Férial
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Meh...

(if one wants to know why I gave 2 stars to this book, one just have to read reviews from people who gave the same rating. There are plenty of those).

Next please.
Benny Hinrichs
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am so glad I read Cradle before this, or I never would have given Cradle a chance. There's definitely a great book beneath everything, but this needed to be edited about four more times to bring it out.

I read a lot of books (48 so far this year), and no book in recent memory has left me anywhere as confused as this one did. There were so many times I found myself asking where did that person come from, where did that person go, when did he run out of essence, when did he go unconscious, where
RC1140
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would probably be a 4.5 for me, loved the fantasy world, loved the simplicity and pacing. There is probably something missing that i haven't been able to place my finger on that would make it a 5 star.

What many readers may not like is the almost anime like fantasy, where things can escalate really fast and resolve just as fast and then everything is back to normal.

The book was narrated by the author which was a welcome surprise and was honestly quite enjoyable.

This is an easy recommend for
Coco.V
Mar 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 The Traveler's Gate Trilogy is FREE on Amazon today (3/17/2020)! 🎁
Tony Hinde
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF 42%

I'm loving the Cradle series but this was just a let-down. Things seem to just happen to the protagonist for most of the book - no foreshadowing or precursors. Simon has no agency, no introspection and no desire to push back when abused.

Then, out of nowhere, we get two more POV characters. The princess shows some promise, but we know nothing of her motivation. And then there's the new village Traveller who is a two-dimensional NPC granted magic powers for no reason. He's vanilla & white-b
Leon Niemandt
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ever wondered what would happen if David Gemmell and Brandon Sanderson had a demented genius of a baby, gleefully chuckling as he hacked his way through endless ranks of fearsome mages? Well, wonder no more!

No doubt you could nitpick this book to death, were you so inclined. Another story of a (view spoiler)
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy book that has a magic warrior house with healing pool. [s] 5 29 Apr 17, 2019 03:48PM
The normal strategy of weight loss 1 5 Dec 09, 2017 12:37AM
It has been designed and developed for use in systems 1 4 Dec 06, 2017 01:37AM
Kindle Unlimited ...: House of Blades by Will Wight 1 12 Mar 15, 2016 08:37AM
Read the whole series 1 20 Jul 01, 2015 01:15PM

• Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • Diamantine (Weapons and Wielders, #2)
  • On the Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension, #2)
  • The First Stop (A Thousand Li #2)
  • Street Cultivation
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)
  • Defying Destiny
  • Mother of Learning
  • Forging Divinity (The War of Broken Mirrors, #1)
  • Mage Errant: Publisher's Pack, Book 1-2
  • Stealing Sorcery (The War of Broken Mirrors, #2)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Ascension (The Trysmoon Saga, #1)

Traveler's Gate (3 books)
  • The Crimson Vault (Traveler's Gate, #2)
  • City of Light (Traveler's Gate, #3)

News & Interviews

“They folded clothes, dusted shelves, polished swords; except for the periodic murder attempts, they were perfect hosts.” 18 likes
“The only thing worse than a victory in battle, Otoku said, is defeat.” 5 likes