Start by marking “Joyland” as Want to Read:
Joyland

Joyland

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  91,465 Ratings  ·  10,276 Reviews
Devin Jones es un estudiante de 21 años que consigue trabajo en el verano de 1973 en Joyland, un pequeño parque de atracciones de estilo antiguo, anterior a la llegada de los modernos parques temáticos. Una de las leyendas que corre entre los empleados es que en la Casa de los Horrores habita el fantasma de una chica asesinada allí años atrás. Mientras cumple sus obligacio ...more
Hardcover, 1st edition, 304 pages
Published June 6th 2013 by Random House Mondadori (first published June 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Joyland, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leslie Golden Sure and not an anachronism. Daughter playing in the yard. Wife in the house, on the land line phone. (only they weren't known as landlines then)…moreSure and not an anachronism. Daughter playing in the yard. Wife in the house, on the land line phone. (only they weren't known as landlines then) Daughter runs from the yard, into the road and gets killed. Mom gets blamed. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Malini Agarwala
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nataliya

You gotta agree - Stephen King can tell a story like few others can.

Maybe it's because he can see the world in the way most of us do not, and then grants us the privilege to experience it through his eyes for a few hundred pages - the world that can be unsettling and scary and fascinating and different in subtle little ways that change the way you view it - at least for a little while.

Add to it that Stephen King also can do nostalgia like no other (well, perhaps excluding Bradbury - and there
Angela M
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cgca-2013-14
If I ever were to meet Stephen King, I imagine that the conversation would go something like this:

A: Mr. King, what a pleasure it is to meet you. I’m glad to have this opportunity because I owe you an apology.

SK: An apology? We don’t even know each other. Why would you need to apologize to me?

A: I’m sorry for avoiding your books all of these years and for thinking that you were a one dimensional author who only wrote horror stories. I’m sorry that it took me so long to discover your wonderful wr
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

OMG! I love this King book! I had a feeling I might just from reading the synopsis of the book. It just blew me away! I loved the atmosphere of the carnival. I fell in love with Devin, Tom, Erin, Mike, Milo, Annie and a few other side characters.

I felt like I was in the book with each one of them and I could see all of the old carny rides and amusements. I could feel the old mystery of the girl that was killed. I wish they would make this into a movie, but do it right! It as to be to a T from t
Kemper
There’s a ghost that appears in the haunted house ride of an amusement park in the 1970s? Jinkies! Is this a Hard Case Crime book or an episode of Scooby-Doo?

Actually, it’s a Stephen King novel. And as we found out the last time Uncle Stevie wrote a book for the HCC line he doesn’t have a problem with blurring the line between crime and supernatural. Since HCC needs all the help it can get I’m pretty sure nobody bitched too much when he turned this one in.

Devin Jones is a struggling college kid
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
Now I know how Neil DeGrasse Tyson felt while he watched the movie Gravity.

I give Joyland three stars as far as story goes, and a one star when I take into consideration that Stephen got everything wrong about how amusement parks are run. He obviously did zero research. The most believable thing in this book is the ghost part, but I know the vast majority of you out there did not spend twenty odd years hopping around the United States working in amusement parks like I did, and therefore would no
Delee
I am not sure what bubble I was living in that I hadn't heard about Stephen King's new book JOYLAND, so it was just luck that the day it was released, I just happened to in the book store browsing. The cover shouted out "look at meeeee!!!" I quickly grabbed a copy off the shelf, and thought to myself, "Mine, mine, mine!" When I finally got around to reading it, I was not disappointed...

[image error] photo 80654a5e-a035-4246-8501-cbce94c39823_zpsc27f9561.jpg

This was one of those Stephen King books that made me feel like I was sitting on the front porch o
Arah-Lynda
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
JoyLand is a slow burn of a book and that was alright by me. I love getting to know King’s characters and Devin Jones is no exception. He’s our young, intelligent narrator, burning with the passion and enthusiasm of youth; he is also healing a broken heart, his first, when he signs up to work at the carnival.

This is a Hard Case Crime file so one would expect a murder or two and there is, except it happened years ago and remains unsolved. While never really taking center stage through most of th
Debra
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joyland by Stephen King

Joyland is not a typical Stephen King book. If you are looking for horror, supernatural gore, scary clowns, vampires, fire setters or children who come back from the dead, or any other really scary parts - you will not find them in this book. This book is not like the typical books Stephen King wrote in the 80''s.

I had not read a Stephen King book in many years prior to picking this book up. Don't let the cover turn you off, this book is a jem! It is a mystery, and a uniqu
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by the title and cover
4 stars All you King fans out there are going to read this anyway. Go for it, be a *Rube, its worth the price of admission. For anyone else who's curious about all the kerfuffle over King, maybe test the waters with this. No, it’s not his best but it’s pretty great. It’s short, leans towards paranormal rather than horror in case horror isn’t your thing, and you gotta love that hardcore pulp-fiction cover!
Tons of suspense, the mystery of beautiful women being murdered to unravel, a plot that mo
Trudi

Written for the Hard Case Crime line of paperback novels, Stephen King's Joyland may look like a duck -- with its tantalizing pulp cover making promises of sex and violence -- but it definitely doesn't quack. In fact, it's another kind of animal altogether, a coming of age tale tinged with the bittersweet tang of nostalgia and the wistful remembrances of what was and what might have been.

This isn't new territory for King. Anyone who's read him at all knows that this is his stomping ground and w
Alex Duncan
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Stephen King since I was a child and this book reminds me of his old stuff. It's really good.
Dan Schwent
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, hardcase
On the heels of a breakup, college student Devin Jones takes a summer job at an amusement park, an amusement park haunted by the ghost of a woman murdered on one of the rides. But what does that have to do with a woman and her dying child that Devin meets walking on a beach?

Stephen King throws the Hard Case line another bone with Joyland. Much like The Colorado Kid, it will undoubtedly draw much needed attention to the line despite not being like the other books.

Joyland is the story of Devin Jon
Bionic Jean
The American author Stephen King is one of today's most popular writers of horror and supernatural novels and stories, occasionally branching out into other genres such as science fiction, fantasy, or factual books. With Joyland, published in 2013, he has once again tried his hand at a crime novel. As with his first novel of this type, it was published by "Hard Case Crime" who specialise in crime fiction by both established and new authors who write hardboiled crime novels. Some of their books b ...more
Elyse
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: 99 cent special today!!!!!

Irresistible!!!

On the back of the bright yellow @ red paperback book by Stephen King, *JOYLAND*, [smack center in RED INK], are the words:

"Life is Not always a Butcher's Game
Sometimes the Prizes Are Real
Sometimes They're Precious" .....

If you've NOT read this WONDERFUL-TREAT-yet --those words above will 'not' have the same 'feeling' to you until you get to page 220 --and read them 'again'. (I dare any human being not to be moved)!

To NOT read this book (heck, tak
Cathrine ☯️
Stephen King wrote this for the Hard Case Crime series which seeks to recreate the flavor of paperback hardboiled crime fiction novels of the 1940s and 50s. Each cover features original cover art in the grand pulp style.

There is an unsolved crime, a previous murder in the horror house, but it wasn’t what I thought it would be. The entire time I was reading it I was back at Pacific Ocean Park in Venice Beach California during the 1950/60s. Big mistake eating right before I went on the roller-co
Megan Baxter
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second Stephen King book I've ever read, other than The Stand. I just don't do horror, as a general rule. But then this came out, and it was a mystery, or at least marketed as such, and so I figured I'd give it a try.

It isn't really about the mystery, though, and others have noted it. There is a mystery, sure. The main character works at Joyland, an amusement (not theme - King is careful about the difference) park one summer in the 1970s. Several years earlier, a girl had been m
Brenda
Devin Jones had been with his girlfriend Wendy while at college for the past two years, but the vibes he was getting from her made him uneasy. So when the opportunity for the summer job at the carnival park Joyland where they only sold fun came up, Dev tried for it and was successful. He then took a room in a boarding house nearby for the duration of the summer, along with other carny hands, Tom and Erin.

Dev’s job was huge and varied, but he was good at “wearing the fur”, when he dressed up as H
Jonathan Janz
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In early 2014 the wonderful podcast Pod of Horror (run by mastermind Mark Justice) announced its list of the top three novels of 2013. One of my books (I won't say which one now, because this bit is just preamble, and the review I'm writing isn't about my own novel) clocked in at #3.

Number two on the list was Bentley Little's THE INFLUENCE, and though I hadn't (and still haven't, if I'm being honest) read Little's book, I'm familiar with Little's writing and was delighted to be included on the
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Not my favorite King novel but it was still a good time! V atmospheric and spooky
Victor Almeida
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
"Bate na minha mão se você é pura animação!"

Eu amei demais esse livro. Achei uma leitura muito gostosa, e apesar de não ser cheeeia de ação nem nada assim, ela flui muito bem. Esse cenário de parque de diversões me encantou (na verdade, já é algo que me deixa fascinado por si só). Senti muita empatia pelo protagonista, e todos os personagens foram maravilhosos, característicos e com a sua cota de "creepyness". É o segundo livro do Stephen que leio nesse formato de "o protagonista já está velho,
Sam Quixote
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every Stephen King fan has a wonderful memory of reading one of his books, the experience making you oblivious of all else as you become enveloped in the story, completely consumed with the characters, the plot, the sheer brilliance of the storytelling. For me those memories are clustered around my early teens when I first read King, reading Misery, The Shining, IT, Pet Sematary, Different Seasons, in a massive reading jag – I fell hard for King and there was nothing better than picking up one o ...more
Paul Nelson
It's Joyland.

"This is a badly broken world, full of wars and cruelty and senseless tragedy. Every human being who inhabits it is served his or her portion of unhappiness and wakeful nights. Those of you who don’t already know that will come to know it. Given such sad but undeniable facts of the human condition, you have been given a priceless gift this summer: you are here to sell fun. In exchange for the hard-earned dollars of your customers, you will parcel out happiness".

Joyland sees the King
Stacia (the 2010 club)
You can't save everyone.

I was tempted to add some new category shelves for this review because the ones I am using don't quite fit the type of retro-reflective, not-really-coming-of-age-but-more-of-a-late-blooming type of read which I experienced. Maybe I should add crime or murder or something, but if I said this was a crime novel, or even a murder mystery, I'd sort of only be giving you part of the picture here.

Devin (Dev) is on the path to discovering himself in the summer of 1970-whateve
Candi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-creepy
Let me start out by saying that I realized going into this that Joyland is not King’s typical horror story. Actually, that is one of the reasons I was excited to pick this one up. I have enough trouble sleeping without nightmarish and gruesome images floating around in my head. What I did expect, however, was a gripping and suspenseful mystery that would have me on the edge of my seat throughout the majority of the book. That never happened. I also imagined a book full of clues which would force ...more
Lou
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch Stephen King Talking about This book on Today show now @ http://more2read.com/review/joyland-by-stephen-king/

image

'Work close to heaven!'
That was the advertisement that Mr Devin Jones one Summer reacted to, and this stand up guy at the age of twenty one was soon to become Howie the Happy Hound suited up in Hound attire doing the Hokey Pokey dance with kids at Joyland, a fun amusement park, a place where fun was lived out in its highs of rides and pitch darkness of the Horror House.
There is un
seak
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided this review didn't need to be more than a quick one. I've said enough, why say more. I couldn't put Joyland down. It was a fascinating look at carny life, touching at times, and proves King can still write a wonderful story less than 1000 pages long. The noir, crime-solving aspect was almost an afterthought to this interesting tale of life working at an amusement park.

If you have fond memories of a summer job where you almost spoke a different language with your co-workers and really b
Semjon
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH:

I can not understand why I had not read any King books for almost 25 years. Now, for the last two years, I have been returning to the Master, and graciously asking for forgiveness. You can not get enough of him, he is the personified Joyland of Storytelling. Especially his new books from this decade leave more and more the horror drawer, in which one people likes to put him (often wrongly).

Joyland is neither a thriller nor a horror book. It is a brilliant story, sometimes a bit supernatu
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
In this, one of Stephen Kings lesser known works, there are some precious gems of writing ("I lay awake in the small hours of the morning, waiting for them to get bigger" is but one) - thank you Mr King for a most enjoyable journey through this book. It is, perhaps, not his normal fare, but that made it no less pleasurable for me.

Joyland had an emotional impact on me - I found myself crying in places, both for the loss of life and the loss of trust and innocence.

Devin Jones takes a summer job in
Coos Burton
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Lo voy a decir con todo el orgullo que me produce el hecho de que un autor haya despertado algo tan profundo en mi, y haya tocado algo tan sensible: lloré como pocas veces. Será medio confuso para quienes aún no han leído el libro, porque sí, es terror, es de crímenes, pero su historia va un poco más allá de eso también con algunos momentos emotivos que hacen que uno se encariñe al instante de los personajes. Una historia hermosa, definitivamente lo releería mil veces más porque disfruté cada pá ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Devin Jones’ college girlfriend has taken a summer job that will have them spending the break away from each other, so Devin decides to apply for a job at an amusement park called Joyland in North Carolina. Little does Devin know this will be the summer that changes his life forever. He will find lifelong friends, suffer his first heartbreak, discover love in many different forms and be haunted by an unsolved murder that took place on Joyland’s grounds.

If I pretend for one moment I had never hea
  • Seduction of the Innocent (Jack & Maggie Starr #3)
  • Little Girl Lost (John Blank #1)
  • Losers Live Longer (Hard Case Crime #59)
  • The Wounded and the Slain (Hard Case Crime #31)
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime, #14)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • The Murderer Vine (Hard Case Crime #43)
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime #44)
  • The Confession
  • Fake I.D. (Hard Case Crime #56)
  • The Twenty-Year Death (Hard Case Crime #108)
  • The Gutter and the Grave (Hard Case Crime #15)
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria
  • Easy Death (Hard Case Crime #117)
  • The Providence Rider (Matthew Corbett, #4)
  • NOS4A2
  • Double Feature
More about Stephen King

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“When it comes to the past, everyone writes fiction.” 320 likes
“When you're twenty-one, life is a roadmap. It's only when you get to be twenty-five or so that you begin to suspect that you've been looking at the map upside down, and not until you're forty are you entirely sure. By the time you're sixty, take it from me, you're fucking lost.” 320 likes