Start by marking “Ascendant” as Want to Read:
Ascendant

Ascendant

(Ascendant Trilogy #1)

When I was twelve, my mother disappeared. I was the first person to never find her.

I’m sixteen now and she has never been found, alive or dead. I’m not the girl I should have been.

Published June 14th 2013 by Crescent Moon Press (first published June 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ascendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ascendant

Amir at NotSoLiterary
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This review is also available at: The-Not-So-Literary Heiresses

While this book is far from perfect, I'm glad I stuck through it until the end. It took me awhile to actually get into the story, the characters are far from being likable and there are times when Charlotte's reactions feel awkward and her decisions pissed me off but the mystery of her mother's disappearance and connections with the past kept me going.

Having lost her mother at a young age without any explanation why, Char
Amanda Marie
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Before I began reading Ascendant, I was expecting your typical Young Adult paranormal romance. However after reading a couple of chapters I realized that this novel had so much more to it. There is nothing “typical” about this story. I was beyond excited that romance took more of a back seat which allowed me to be sucked into the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the main character’s mother. I found myself trying to piece together the clues and try to guess what would happen next. Most YA ...more
Danyiel
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I sat down and read it in a weekend. It kept me guessing all the way till the end and left me wanting more. The main character, Charlotte, smart and determined to figure out what happened to her mother and willing to go to great lengths to get answers. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a great read and a great mystery.

Tia Toennis
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I couldn't put it down, I just finished it and I want to read it again because I miss the characters and the suspense of the mystery the main character is trying to solve.
Biz Jaust
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There was suspense and a great love story. I highly recommend this for all YA lovers. I can't wait for the next one, but she isn't done writing it yet!
Ilonita50
This was great, incredibly interesting, dark and scary mystery/crime - I don't even know what genre I would better place it! Somehow at the beginning I missed the point this is a YA and was surprised...The suspense gets built very fast, not explored fully, I mean, the characters could have more depth and developed - the story moves on very fast. I was hoping to get to know what happens and I could not guess ..., I was hoping for Charlotte to be a little bit more sensible, hahaha!
But it was UNIQ
Wendy
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Charlotte Stephens is an orphan. Sort of. Her mother’s been missing since she was twelve, and because her father, Simon Stevens, is a best-selling author 17 times over, Elizabeth’s disappearance was a tabloid-worthy mystery. Four years later, Charlotte plagiarizes a final paper on Richard II, a play she’s read four times, because she just doesn’t care. This sets into motion a chain of events a teenager wouldn’t anticipate. Her principal notifies Charlotte’s emergency contact, her father’s litera ...more
Richard Kennedy
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A month ago if you'd have have said, careful you could get hooked on YA novels I'd have said, right, not really likely. Color me wrong. I purchased and read 'Ascendant,' as a return of a favor from Rebecca Taylor, the author. Our paths had crossed through social media and she'd referred me to a research source. It seemed like an equitable exchange to acquire and read 'Ascendant. It was a rewarding decision to be sure. The plot is well drawn and clever, the characters are without question, sympat ...more
Kristin
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
2.5 stars.

This was a Goodreads win for me and I really wanted to like this book, the premise sounded interesting and I love stories set in London. Unfortunately the unlikeability of the characters, lack of character development of the secondary characters and a ridiculously unbelievable love triangle ruined what might have been a good story.

While this wasn’t self-published, it certainly seemed like it was. Usually I can overlook grammatical and other errors, particularly
Bookfan36

Brief synopsis from the book cover:

When Charlotte Stevens, bright but failing, is sent to stay at her mother’s childhood home in Somerset England her life is changed forever. While exploring the lavish family manor, Gaersum Aern, Charlotte discovers a stone puzzle box that contains a penta
Meredith Schindehette
I had a hard time sinking into Ascendant at first, but once I did, the book left me wanting to read more. I'll have to get the second one in the series, "Midheaven." The 16 yo protagonist, Charlotte, is relatively relatable; although, she definitely made some poor choices in this story that left me scratching my head.
No Dammit
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I am not the biggest fan of YA novels. However, this one blew me away. There is so much going on, it's intense.
This book reminds me of national treasure and hunger games, mixed in with some serious mind games. Hope book 2 is just a thrilling! I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
This is an intriguing story that will keep you guessing. Charlotte's mother disappeared when she was twelve and as a result it changes not only Charlotte but effects her father as well. The story is well written with a plot that have you digging for clues as you read along. I voluntarily agreed to receive an ARC of this book for an honest review.
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
So I kept guessing every little bit what the twist was and I was never right. Sometimes this book would have me sucked in and I couldn’t put it down. But then there were other times when I honestly didn’t care to finish it. Going to give the second book a try.
Namrata Ganti
Since I read these books continuously, one after the other, I decided to post a combined review. In general, I enjoyed the premise of the story and the events that occurred to take it forward. The story is written decently and will ensure the reader continues on until the end. The author manages to build up some amount of mystery and intrigue.

However, the protagonist is decent at best, but she gets rather whiny and annoying. Her attentions are directed towards the two guys showering
Eveline (Eveline's Books)
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-read
From: evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl

This book is a good YA debut of author Rebecca Taylor. It has some flaws, but overall it's an entertaining read.

The book is about Charlotte, who has to go live with her uncle in England because of her father's alchol problems. Her mother has been missing for quite a few years. In the house also live Caleb, her childhood crush who still has a crush on her and Sophie, his sister. Charlotte discovers her mother's diaries in a closet and w
Desislava Pavlova
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Yeah, I just got the message I have won a copy from the First Read giveaway. Can't wait for it to arrive! Yeapeeee! * does a happy dance*

P.S. Real review when I read it of course. :D

08.12.2013 Got my book yesterday! :) *runs off to read *

18.03.2014 So life got in the way, but here I am finally writing my review.

Warning: The following review may contain spoilers.

I loved the book! I want to thank very much Mrs. Taylor for sending it to me. I have read
Gina
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book left off in such a way that a second book is inevitable. It left a lot of questions unanswered. The characters were great. The storyline was creative. I expected it to be witchcraft, but was, again, delighted that the author thought outside the box.

The only drawbacks were the numerous grammatical errors, spelling errors, and missing words. I realize that no one is perfect. People make mistakes. However, when paying for a published book, I kind of expect that the publisher wo
M
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
There were many parts where it became very confusing and you had to keep reading parts over and over again to try and make sense of it.

As for the romance, both Hayden and Caleb seemed to get very clingy and desperate and I think they were both too 'in love' with get very quickly when they both barely knew her. Caleb knew who she was all those years ago and Hayden, really, just wanted a physical relationship. Both of them didn't actually know her properly.

Despite this, I did like the
Kate Lansing
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This was an unexpected and fun read! I'm a sucker for settings in England, and this book was no exception. I really enjoyed the mystery, especially the symbols and references to alchemy, and the unpredictable conclusion. At times I wished I knew more about how Charlotte was feeling, specifically in regard to her relationships with Caleb and Hayden. Overall, a well written, unique YA read with a strong female lead!
Andrea Makey
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. I would found myself sneaking times to read it. Would head to bed and say just a couple or two and would find myself at 12:30 1 in the morning reading. I highly recommend this book to every one who enjoys a good mystery. Each chapter I read, kept me intrigued, not sure what was going to happen next. Rebecca kept up the great work. Looking forward to reading more of your books. Thank you
Alison
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entranced from page one

I'm surprisingly dumbstruck by this brilliant story & anxiously anticipating reading the next book in the trilogy. A suspenseful storyline full of love triangles, unexpected plot twists & characters that engulfed every heart-wrenching emotion. I'm truly hooked on this new author I found while searching for a new book to read on www.ohfb.com (One Hundred Free Books). On to read the next in the series, Midheaven.
Linda
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book full of mystery and romance. What happens to Charlotte now that she knows? Does she get back with Caleb? What does Emerick try next. To much left not answered. Can't wait for the next one.
Laurie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought the beginning was pretty slow, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I liked that the main characters weren't perfect like they are in many novels. I was disappointed by the ending, but I didn't realize she was working on a second one, which I am looking forward to reading.
Satu (azileea)
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
More thriller-like than I expected which gave the two stars.
Started slow, more interesting about halfway through.

What annoyed me the most was that there were LOTS of grammatical mistakes, like "Where there" instead of "Were there".
Shivani
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved the storyline... i really like reading books such as this ... i'd love to read it..
Amy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could be more perfect on a cold winter's day than a good book and a hot cup of tea. Couldn't put this down and can't wait to read what will happen next.
Samantha
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
loved this compelling story. a page turner that was difficult to put down! already downloading book 2!
Druscilla831
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it so much I didn't put it down until I finished it
Gigi
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
2.5 stars.

• Rouge (Rouge, #1)
  • Don't Peek (The Diaries of a Teenage Girl)
  • Waiting for You
  • Asylum 54.0 (The Bionics Saga Book 1)
  • Necessary Sacrifices
  • Luminous (Psyne, #1)
  • Choice
  • The Spirit Within
  • The Department of Cautionary Tales
  • Twilight of the True Blood Vampire Diaries
  • Sign of the Throne (The Solas Beir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret Book for Getting Girls
  • I Wished For You
  • Hoofing It
  • Devil Let Me Go
  • The Year of the Great Seventh
  • Emospherica (The Destiny of Jasmine Blade, #1)
  • Fearsome Dreamer (Fearsome Dreamer, #1)
Rebecca Taylor is the author of Her Perfect Life, available from Sourcebooks Landmark on June 2, 2020.

She lives in sunny Colorado with her husband, two teens, and two tragically spoiled dogs.

Ascendant Trilogy (3 books)
  • Midheaven (Ascendant Trilogy, #2)
  • Descendant (Ascendant Trilogy #3)
“Knowledge is sweeter found than given” 9 likes