Start by marking “Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)” as Want to Read:
Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)

Grim Shadows

(Roaring Twenties #2)

It’s the Roaring Twenties in foggy San Francisco. Prohibition is on, inhibitions are low, and dark magic is rolling into town…

Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson is packing something everyone wants. The djed amulet, a priceless Egyptian artifact, will fetch Lowe a hefty paycheck from one of San Francisco’s wealthiest. But when the handsome Swede runs into his patron’s uptight dau
Published June 3rd 2014 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about Grim Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grim Shadows

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

3,5 Stars

San Francisco, 1928
Having read and really liked Bitter Spirits, book 1 in the Roaring Twenties series, it's back to the exciting jazz-age misty city for another adventure in the Magnusson family. This time it's Lowe's turn to find a flapper of his own.
Part archaeologist, part conman, part shameless charmer, Lowe has just returned to San Francisco after a long digging expedition in Egypt, bringing home with him a precious artefact that will trigger a chain of events leading him to fir
♥Rachel♥
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

I LOVED Bitter Spirits so I was eager to get my hand on Grim Shadows. It did not disappoint! Grim Shadows is a wickedly fun paranormal romance, complete with danger, and mystery, set in the glorious 1920s. Jenn Bennett thrills again with Lowe’s story!

Lowe Magnusson is back home from Egypt after excavating a mystical djed amulet “purported to open a door to the land of the dead” but Lowe could care less about that. He just plans to sell it to the highest bidder, to get him out of some ho
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Rage and hurt called the Mori, who rose up from the floor. Dark limbs, blinking eyes, grotesque features. Monsters, fueled by her pain. Dead things pulled from the Spirit World. Things she didn't understand and could barely control, but they coalesced into a writhing mass of gloom and shifting shadow, crawling up the marble walls and columns. Sniffing out opportunity as they tugged images from her mind. Command us, they whispered inside her head. Dark avengers, read and willing to do h
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Let me just start this review by saying that Jenn Bennett can do no wrong! Her Urban Fantasy series is among my top 5 in its genre, and now she’s also landed a spot on my Paranormal Romance list with ROARING TWENTIES. The first installment introduced readers to bootlegging and speakeasies; now it’s GRIM SHADOWS’ turn to bring forgery and treasure hunting to life. Once again I loved absolutely everything about this book! Bennett’s writing immediately sucks you right in, an
Stacee
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I’m a sucker for Jen’s words and I loved the first book in this series, so I was fairly certain I would love this one too.

I loved Hadley and Lowe. They’re both really good people and similar, but not really, and I absolutely adored the subtle flirting and button pushing. Of course, seeing Aida and Winter was delightful.

Plot wise, it was intriguing. I loved the Egyptian thread and all of the things that went along with the artifact. The conflict was just what I expected and thankfully didn’t la
Robin
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smooth-talking Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson returns home from Egypt with a priceless amulet that he found. His plan is to make a duplicate to sell to a local collector while using the real amulet to clear his debt. But Museum Curator Hadley Bacall has him re-thinking his plan. Hadley's mother once owned small pieces of the amulet. She hid them throughout San Francisco before she died. Now Lowe and Hadley must find the pieces to restore the amulet to its full power.

This is an action-packed story
Lauren
Grim Shadows
4 Stars

Lowe Magnusson is an unrepentant bad boy - a con artist, a thief and a notorious liar. That is until he meets the one woman who makes him want to be a better man. Hadley Bacall is a spirited and intelligent scholar, yet she yearns for the closeness of friendship and family that has long been denied her. When Lowe and Hadley come together in search of an ancient archeological artifact, sparks fly and windows shatter - literally...

Excellent historical research results in an imme
Pandora Black
San Francisco, les années 20, des artefacts égyptiens, une héroïne badass et intelligente, et un héros grand blond suédois archéologue et arnaqueur sur les bords, franchement, what's not to love?♥
Donc définitivement Lowe est bien mieux que son frère Winter (un peu trop gentil pour un bootlegger sans pitié) , et bien plus fun ^^
Je suis curieuse de lire le dernier sur Astrid (la petite soeur) et Bo (charmant bras droit chinois de Winter) (ça va chier) (enfin j'espère XD)
Nadia
Oh who am I kidding? I'm not gonna finish this book. While the beginning was exciting enough, somewhere in the middle, when things started going too smoothly, I lost interest.
We were just not meant to be. Sorry book, it's not me, it's you.

DNF @ 72%.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jenn Bennett can do no wrong in my eyes. If you like romance and engaging plots, and you haven't already picked up Bitter Spirits, the first book in her wonderfully original and addictive Roaring Twenty series, please do so immediately. It's set in a time and place that's familiar but also completely new: the vitality and the verve we've come to associate with the 1920s are alive and present, including
Gwen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J’ai été agréablement surprise. C’est une bonne suite.
J’ai trouvé les personnages principaux vivants et passionnants. Ils forment un superbe duo pour résoudre les mythes, malédictions égyptiennes et recel d’objet antique notamment l’énigme laissée par la mère de l’héroïne. Le côté Egypte antique est bien traité et ne saoule pas. Les personnages secondaires sont vivants et attachants ; on s’attache à la petite Stella. L’auteur a su me donner envie de tourner les pages.
L’histoire est bien ficelée
Shelley
*Genre* Historical, Paranormal, Romance
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Grim Shadows is the second novel in the Roaring Twenties series. The setting is 1928 San Francisco where Prohibition is still in full swing. Grim Shadows features curator Hadley Bacall and archaeologist Lowe Magnusson (Winter’s brother from Bitter Spirits). Since this is Jenn Bennett, there is the anti-hero in Lowe, and the heroine in Hadley, and some steamy sex scenes that I am sure will be warm even the coldest hearts.

*Full Review
Gawelleb
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Je ne dois pas être dans le « mood » pour ce livre parce que si objectivement il avait tout pour être enthousiasmant, subjectivement il m’a laissé de glace 🤐 Il m’a fait le même effet qu’Indiana Jones et le temple maudit ... Tout est là pour passer un bon moment mais j’ai pris les héros en grippe.. surtout elle dés le départ.
Ekaterin
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alors que j'avais trouvé la fin du 1er tome un peu faible par rapport au début, ce 2ème c'est le contraire. C'est le début que j'ai trouvé bancal, voir même incompréhensible. Je n'ai même rien compris.

Le démarrage est abrupt, on rentre dans une scène qui est déjà bien entamée et dont il nous manque tous les éléments. Résultats on prend le train en marche (c'est le cas de le dire étant donné que la scène se passe effectivement dans une gare). Je pense que c'est voulu par l'auteur, puisque les exp
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A con man and his mark team up to find the pieces of an ancient amulet. As his feelings for her grow stronger, this con man’s life starts becoming increasingly complicated. Will he carry through with his plan, or will he let love win out?

Opening Sentence: Lowe Magnusson scanned the desolate Union Pacific depot lobby.

The Review:

I had mixed feelings before starting this book. On one hand, I love Jenn Bennett’s Arcadia Bell series. On the other
nick
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved! But that scene near the end was super sad!! :(

Review to come!
Samantha (WLABB)
I am really, really, really enjoying this series. It's such a fantastic combination of action and romance with some paranormal touches and a bit of history. I have grown to expect a great hero and a fantastic heroine from Bennett, and Lowe and Hadley more than met those standards. They were a fabulous couple! I loved their banter and they had many hot interactions. One thing I loved, was the way Lowe seemed so alpha, but then he handled Hadley in a gentle way. I always love those bad boys with a ...more
Sophie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So like. What to think of a woman whose anger literally summons dark spirits who wreak havoc?

Like on the one hand, her anger is powerful and you'd better not piss her off because she could ACTUALLY kill you. But on the other hand, this means she spends most of the book feeling guilty for and/or trying to suppress her anger, and women should be allowed to get angry! So I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Ultimately, though, I liked this book a lot. The romance was delightful and steamy and full of
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, pnr
I recently read Bitter Spirits, the first book in this series and was seriously impressed. I had put it off because it was set in the twenties and had paranormal elements and for whatever reason that didn’t appeal to me. But after seeing so many positive reviews, I read it and loved it and was exited to pick up Grim Shadows. I liked this book, not quite as much as Bitter Spirits though.

Lowe Magnusson (Winter’s brother from Bitter Spirits) is an Archaeologist who has spent the past nine months in
Jaclyn
More like a 2.5. I think I'm in the minority here, but there's something about this series that I just find rather bland.

I feel like I am missing something with Jenn Bennett's prohibition era series. Everyone seems to love it, but for me, I could take it or leave it. The series has an interesting concept, but as with the previous book, I'm left feeling ambivalent.

Grim Shadows features the younger brother of the hero from book one. Lowe Magnusson is an archaeologist who's determined to make a na
Laura the Highland Hussy
4.5

Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

Book 2 in the Roaring Twenties series begins with a chase on a train and an action-packed first meeting. You can’t help but get caught up in all the action.

I love the movie The Mummy (the one with Brendan Fraser), and this book kind of reminds me of The Mummy but set in San Francisco. We’ve got Lowe Magnusson a Berkley scholar and archaeologist, but who deals in forgeries and scams, rather than staying above-board. Normally a hero who lies all the time,
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

If there is one series that stands out with its originality and its imagination, it’s Jenn Bennett’s Roaring Twenties series. When I learned that the heroine, Hadley Bacall is a curator and the hero, Lowe Magnusson is an archaeologist, I knew I was going to love this book. I’m such a sucker for these type of stories. Not only is it steeped in history and old truths, but Bennett adds a magical element to it as well, catapulting this series into something in its own universe.

Hadley is cursed with
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Roaring Twenties

I can't quite decide if I love this series so much because I've discovered a passion for the 20s era it's set in, or if I only love it so well because of Bennett's exquisitely sensual and clever writing, but either way, I'm definitely loving it! Grim Shadows is an excellent follow up to Bitter Spirits in every conceivable way.

We return to the delectable Magnusson brothers, this time with Lowe, younger brother of Winter from book one, who's just back from his grand adventures in E
Flor
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Lacks the shippiness of the first book, but this is another fun adventure tale, with some Indiana Jones-like excitement. I did think the use of an anagram for plot point was suuuuper obvious, but otherwise the plot was enjoyable, albeit a bit anticlimactic.
Lyssa
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for some plot holes; but overall entertaining.
Kimberlee
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread-purchases
Didn't like as much as Bitter Spirits but still a super fun romp.
Barb Lie
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grim Shadows by Jenn Bennett is the 2nd book in her Roaring Twenties series. Of course, knowing the series title, you know this series takes place during the prohibition era, and in San Francisco, with a paranormal/magic background theme. Wheras, Bitter Spirits (first book) was about bootlegging and ghosts; Grim Shadows is about Archaeology and specters (evil spirits).

Our hero is Lowe Magnusson, who is Winter’s (first book hero) younger brother. He is a con-man, but also a charming and gorgeous
Melliane
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Since the end of the first volume, I was looking forward to discover this second novel by Jenn Bennett. I always enjoy a story from another time, so you can suspect that Roaring Twenties with all this different culture could only fascinate me.

After discovering Winter in the first book, we have another character here and we discover this time his brother: Lowe. The two are very different but it was very interesting to meet this archaeologist who returns home
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 12:38PM
  • Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • That Touch of Magic (Nodaway Falls, #2)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • The Kraken King and the Greatest Adventure (Iron Seas, #4.8; Kraken King, #8)
  • The Ronin's Mistress (Sano Ichiro, #15)
  • How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
  • Tempered (The St. Croix Chronicles, #4)
  • Spirited (Tidewater, #1)
Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of several young adult books, including: ALEX, APPROXIMATELY; STARRY EYES; and SERIOUS MOONLIGHT. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, won Romance Writers of America’s RITA® Award, and been included on Publishers Weekly Best Books annual list. She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two dogs. Vis ...more

Roaring Twenties (3 books)
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Grave Phantoms (Roaring Twenties, #3)
“Well, imagine that. She didn't shrivel up and die at the feel of his lips on hers—or, rather, she might, but it wasn't him in particular. And instead of just telling him never to try it again, she confessed her secret—partly, anyway.

It almost felt like a challenge. At least, that's how his ever-optimistic brain interpreted it, as if she were saying: You want this? Good luck. You're going to have to work for it.”
1 likes
“You liked it?" He said this with a boyish tilt to his lips, as if he wanted to be proud of himself for thinking of it but needed her confirmation to be sure.” 1 likes