Start by marking “Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)” as Want to Read:
Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)

Grim Shadows

(Roaring Twenties #2)

It’s the Roaring Twenties in foggy San Francisco. Prohibition is on, inhibitions are low, and dark magic is rolling into town…

Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson is packing something everyone wants. The djed amulet, a priceless Egyptian artifact, will fetch Lowe a hefty paycheck from one of San Francisco’s wealthiest. But when the handsome Swede runs into his patron’s uptight da
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published June 3rd 2014 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about Grim Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grim Shadows

Start your review of Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

3,5 Stars

San Francisco, 1928
Having read and really liked Bitter Spirits, book 1 in the Roaring Twenties series, it's back to the exciting jazz-age misty city for another adventure in the Magnusson family. This time it's Lowe's turn to find a flapper of his own.
Part archaeologist, part conman, part shameless charmer, Lowe has just returned to San Francisco after a long digging expedition in Egypt, bringing home with him a precious artefact that will trigger a chain of events leading him to f
♥Rachel♥
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I LOVED Bitter Spirits so I was eager to get my hand on Grim Shadows. It did not disappoint! Grim Shadows is a wickedly fun paranormal romance, complete with danger, and mystery, set in the glorious 1920s. Jenn Bennett thrills again with Lowe’s story!

Lowe Magnusson is back home from Egypt after excavating a mystical djed amulet “purported to open a door to the land of the dead” but Lowe could care less about that. He just plans to sell it to the highest bidder, to get him out of some ho
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Rage and hurt called the Mori, who rose up from the floor. Dark limbs, blinking eyes, grotesque features. Monsters, fueled by her pain. Dead things pulled from the Spirit World. Things she didn't understand and could barely control, but they coalesced into a writhing mass of gloom and shifting shadow, crawling up the marble walls and columns. Sniffing out opportunity as they tugged images from her mind. Command us, they whispered inside her head. Dark avengers, read and willing to do
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance, audiobook
This is second in a series, but it's mostly setting that carries over from the first. Well, Aida plays a role in a single instance and Winter shows up occasionally, but it's nothing important that you won't get from context. So you can read this as a stand-alone if you like.

I had high hopes that this would turn out much better than the first. The mystery seemed to be progressing well with main characters actually progressing on their quest and finding clues and stuff you'd expect in a decent mys
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Let me just start this review by saying that Jenn Bennett can do no wrong! Her Urban Fantasy series is among my top 5 in its genre, and now she’s also landed a spot on my Paranormal Romance list with ROARING TWENTIES. The first installment introduced readers to bootlegging and speakeasies; now it’s GRIM SHADOWS’ turn to bring forgery and treasure hunting to life. Once again I loved absolutely everything about this book! Bennett’s writing immediately sucks you right in, an
kris
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lowe Magnusson is a con-man, archaeologist, and Swedish Hottie who has managed to get his hands on an ancient Egyptian djed amulet. Hadley Bacall is a cursed museum curator with a damn fine ass who would very much like to acquire the amulet from Lowe. Their bickering turns into bantering turns into boning turns into ... b-emotions.

1. The ending of this thing is a whole mess, but first I'm going to talk about the things that I liked, of which there are a few.

2. I liked Haldey as a heroine. There
Robin
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Smooth-talking Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson returns home from Egypt with a priceless amulet that he found. His plan is to make a duplicate to sell to a local collector while using the real amulet to clear his debt. But Museum Curator Hadley Bacall has him re-thinking his plan. Hadley's mother once owned small pieces of the amulet. She hid them throughout San Francisco before she died. Now Lowe and Hadley must find the pieces to restore the amulet to its full power.

This is an action-packed story
Lauren
Grim Shadows
4 Stars

Lowe Magnusson is an unrepentant bad boy - a con artist, a thief and a notorious liar. That is until he meets the one woman who makes him want to be a better man. Hadley Bacall is a spirited and intelligent scholar, yet she yearns for the closeness of friendship and family that has long been denied her. When Lowe and Hadley come together in search of an ancient archeological artifact, sparks fly and windows shatter - literally...

Excellent historical research results in an imme
Stacee
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I’m a sucker for Jen’s words and I loved the first book in this series, so I was fairly certain I would love this one too.

I loved Hadley and Lowe. They’re both really good people and similar, but not really, and I absolutely adored the subtle flirting and button pushing. Of course, seeing Aida and Winter was delightful.

Plot wise, it was intriguing. I loved the Egyptian thread and all of the things that went along with the artifact. The conflict was just what I expected and thankfully didn’t la
Nadia
Oh who am I kidding? I'm not gonna finish this book. While the beginning was exciting enough, somewhere in the middle, when things started going too smoothly, I lost interest.
We were just not meant to be. Sorry book, it's not me, it's you.

DNF @ 72%.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jenn Bennett can do no wrong in my eyes. If you like romance and engaging plots, and you haven't already picked up Bitter Spirits, the first book in her wonderfully original and addictive Roaring Twenty series, please do so immediately. It's set in a time and place that's familiar but also completely new: the vitality and the verve we've come to associate with the 1920s are alive and present, including
Shelley
*Genre* Historical, Paranormal, Romance
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Grim Shadows is the second novel in the Roaring Twenties series. The setting is 1928 San Francisco where Prohibition is still in full swing. Grim Shadows features curator Hadley Bacall and archaeologist Lowe Magnusson (Winter’s brother from Bitter Spirits). Since this is Jenn Bennett, there is the anti-hero in Lowe, and the heroine in Hadley, and some steamy sex scenes that I am sure will be warm even the coldest hearts.

*Full Revie
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A con man and his mark team up to find the pieces of an ancient amulet. As his feelings for her grow stronger, this con man’s life starts becoming increasingly complicated. Will he carry through with his plan, or will he let love win out?

Opening Sentence: Lowe Magnusson scanned the desolate Union Pacific depot lobby.

The Review:

I had mixed feelings before starting this book. On one hand, I love Jenn Bennett’s Arcadia Bell series. On the other, th
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Roaring Twenties #2
Rating: 4 stars - really enjoyable

After the find of the century, archaeologist Lowe Magnusson has returned home with a sacred amulet from Egypt. A con man and a charmer, Lowe doesn't know what to do with the buttoned up Hadley Bacall but now they must work together to the find the rest of the amulet's pieces. But they're not the only ones after the amulet and mythological beasts plague their every move.

Grim Shadows is an engaging adventure through a 1920's San Francisc
nick
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved! But that scene near the end was super sad!! :(

Review to come!
Samantha (WLABB)
I am really, really, really enjoying this series. It's such a fantastic combination of action and romance with some paranormal touches and a bit of history. I have grown to expect a great hero and a fantastic heroine from Bennett, and Lowe and Hadley more than met those standards. They were a fabulous couple! I loved their banter and they had many hot interactions. One thing I loved, was the way Lowe seemed so alpha, but then he handled Hadley in a gentle way. I always love those bad boys with a ...more
Sophie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
So like. What to think of a woman whose anger literally summons dark spirits who wreak havoc?

Like on the one hand, her anger is powerful and you'd better not piss her off because she could ACTUALLY kill you. But on the other hand, this means she spends most of the book feeling guilty for and/or trying to suppress her anger, and women should be allowed to get angry! So I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Ultimately, though, I liked this book a lot. The romance was delightful and steamy and full of
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, pnr
I recently read Bitter Spirits, the first book in this series and was seriously impressed. I had put it off because it was set in the twenties and had paranormal elements and for whatever reason that didn’t appeal to me. But after seeing so many positive reviews, I read it and loved it and was exited to pick up Grim Shadows. I liked this book, not quite as much as Bitter Spirits though.

Lowe Magnusson (Winter’s brother from Bitter Spirits) is an Archaeologist who has spent the past nine months in
Jaclyn
More like a 2.5. I think I'm in the minority here, but there's something about this series that I just find rather bland.

I feel like I am missing something with Jenn Bennett's prohibition era series. Everyone seems to love it, but for me, I could take it or leave it. The series has an interesting concept, but as with the previous book, I'm left feeling ambivalent.

Grim Shadows features the younger brother of the hero from book one. Lowe Magnusson is an archaeologist who's determined to make a na
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5

Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

Book 2 in the Roaring Twenties series begins with a chase on a train and an action-packed first meeting. You can’t help but get caught up in all the action.

I love the movie The Mummy (the one with Brendan Fraser), and this book kind of reminds me of The Mummy but set in San Francisco. We’ve got Lowe Magnusson a Berkley scholar and archaeologist, but who deals in forgeries and scams, rather than staying above-board. Normally a hero who lies all the time
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

If there is one series that stands out with its originality and its imagination, it’s Jenn Bennett’s Roaring Twenties series. When I learned that the heroine, Hadley Bacall is a curator and the hero, Lowe Magnusson is an archaeologist, I knew I was going to love this book. I’m such a sucker for these type of stories. Not only is it steeped in history and old truths, but Bennett adds a magical element to it as well, catapulting this series into something in its own universe.

Hadley is cursed w
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Roaring Twenties

I can't quite decide if I love this series so much because I've discovered a passion for the 20s era it's set in, or if I only love it so well because of Bennett's exquisitely sensual and clever writing, but either way, I'm definitely loving it! Grim Shadows is an excellent follow up to Bitter Spirits in every conceivable way.

We return to the delectable Magnusson brothers, this time with Lowe, younger brother of Winter from book one, who's just back from his grand adventures in E
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Lacks the shippiness of the first book, but this is another fun adventure tale, with some Indiana Jones-like excitement. I did think the use of an anagram for plot point was suuuuper obvious, but otherwise the plot was enjoyable, albeit a bit anticlimactic.
Lyssa
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for some plot holes; but overall entertaining.
Kim | readmorethings
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Didn't like as much as Bitter Spirits but still a super fun romp.
Barb Lie
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Grim Shadows by Jenn Bennett is the 2nd book in her Roaring Twenties series. Of course, knowing the series title, you know this series takes place during the prohibition era, and in San Francisco, with a paranormal/magic background theme. Wheras, Bitter Spirits (first book) was about bootlegging and ghosts; Grim Shadows is about Archaeology and specters (evil spirits).

Our hero is Lowe Magnusson, who is Winter’s (first book hero) younger brother. He is a con-man, but also a charming and gorgeous
Melliane
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Since the end of the first volume, I was looking forward to discover this second novel by Jenn Bennett. I always enjoy a story from another time, so you can suspect that Roaring Twenties with all this different culture could only fascinate me.

After discovering Winter in the first book, we have another character here and we discover this time his brother: Lowe. The two are very different but it was very interesting to meet this archaeologist who returns home
☕️Kimberly
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Five reasons to grab a cup of coffee and curl up with Grim Shadows

1. The Roaring Twenties and Egyptian artifacts wrapped in paranormal woo-woo. Bennett weaves a wicked tale around an ancient curse, specters and a quest to find missing pieces to an artifact. All of this in hopes of stopping a lunatic. It was a gripping tale from beginning to end and had me captivated.

2. The Magnusson brothers. Yum. Lowe is Winter’s younger brother. He is an archaeologist and like his brother he skirts around the
Hannah Givens
Grim Shadows effortlessly blends 1920s historical romance with an "urban fantasy" tone. There's a hot, believable romance, with just enough magical elements to keep things interesting. I love romances about historians, apparently that's my niche, and this book delivers: It's basically a cursed museum curator's romance with Indiana Jones. It's well-written, reads quickly, and again, the romance is hot but believable. (Also, I now want a 1920s peacock chemise). This is the second book in a series, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 12:38PM

• Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • P.S. It's Always Been You: Part 1
  • Husband Material
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • The Little Teashop in Tokyo (Romantic Escapes, #6)
  • He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • The Obsidian Tower (Rooks and Ruin, #1)
  • Foxmask (Saga of the Light Isles, #2)
  • The First to Know
  • Love Lettering
  • Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • The King's Favorite (Daughters of Avalon, #1)
  • The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical
  • A Winter's Rose (Daughters of Avalon, #2)
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • Thief of Lies (Library Jumpers, #1)
Jenn Bennett is the author of over a dozen books, including the young adult titles: ALEX, APPROXIMATELY; STARRY EYES; SERIOUS MOONLIGHT; and THE LADY ROGUE. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, been Goodreads Choice Award nominees, and have been included on annual Best Book lists for both Kirkus and Publishers Weekly. She lives near Atlant ...more

Roaring Twenties (3 books)
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Grave Phantoms (Roaring Twenties, #3)