Start by marking “Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)” as Want to Read:
Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)

Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties #2)

It’s the Roaring Twenties in foggy San Francisco. Prohibition is on, inhibitions are low, and dark magic is rolling into town…

Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson is packing something everyone wants. The djed amulet, a priceless Egyptian artifact, will fetch Lowe a hefty paycheck from one of San Francisco’s wealthiest. But when the handsome Swede runs into his patron’s uptight dau
Mass Market Paperback, 321 pages
Published June 3rd 2014 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about Grim Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grim Shadows

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

3,5 Stars

San Francisco, 1928
Having read and really liked Bitter Spirits, book 1 in the Roaring Twenties series, it's back to the exciting jazz-age misty city for another adventure in the Magnusson family. This time it's Lowe's turn to find a flapper of his own.
Part archaeologist, part conman, part shameless charmer, Lowe has just returned to San Francisco after a long digging expedition in Egypt, bringing home with him a precious artefact that will trigger a chain of events leading him to fir
♥Rachel♥
Dec 25, 2013 ♥Rachel♥ rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I LOVED Bitter Spirits so I was eager to get my hand on Grim Shadows. It did not disappoint! Grim Shadows is a wickedly fun paranormal romance, complete with danger, and mystery, set in the glorious 1920s. Jenn Bennett thrills again with Lowe’s story!

Lowe Magnusson is back home from Egypt after excavating a mystical djed amulet “purported to open a door to the land of the dead” but Lowe could care less about that. He just plans to sell it to the highest bidder, to get him out of some ho
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 06, 2013 Carmel (Rabid Reads) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Let me just start this review by saying that Jenn Bennett can do no wrong! Her Urban Fantasy series is among my top 5 in its genre, and now she’s also landed a spot on my Paranormal Romance list with ROARING TWENTIES. The first installment introduced readers to bootlegging and speakeasies; now it’s GRIM SHADOWS’ turn to bring forgery and treasure hunting to life. Once again I loved absolutely everything about this book! Bennett’s writing immediately sucks you right in, an
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jenn Bennett can do no wrong in my eyes. If you like romance and engaging plots, and you haven't already picked up Bitter Spirits, the first book in her wonderfully original and addictive Roaring Twenty series, please do so immediately. It's set in a time and place that's familiar but also completely new: the vitality and the verve we've come to associate with the 1920s are alive and present, including
Shelley
*Genre* Historical, Paranormal, Romance
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Grim Shadows is the second novel in the Roaring Twenties series. The setting is 1928 San Francisco where Prohibition is still in full swing. Grim Shadows features curator Hadley Bacall and archaeologist Lowe Magnusson (Winter’s brother from Bitter Spirits). Since this is Jenn Bennett, there is the anti-hero in Lowe, and the heroine in Hadley, and some steamy sex scenes that I am sure will be warm even the coldest hearts.

*Full Review
Pandora Black
San Francisco, les années 20, des artefacts égyptiens, une héroïne badass et intelligente, et un héros grand blond suédois archéologue et arnaqueur sur les bords, franchement, what's not to love?♥
Donc définitivement Lowe est bien mieux que son frère Winter (un peu trop gentil pour un bootlegger sans pitié) , et bien plus fun ^^
Je suis curieuse de lire le dernier sur Astrid (la petite soeur) et Bo (charmant bras droit chinois de Winter) (ça va chier) (enfin j'espère XD)
Nadia
Oh who am I kidding? I'm not gonna finish this book. While the beginning was exciting enough, somewhere in the middle, when things started going too smoothly, I lost interest.
We were just not meant to be. Sorry book, it's not me, it's you.

DNF @ 72%.
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 12, 2014 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A con man and his mark team up to find the pieces of an ancient amulet. As his feelings for her grow stronger, this con man’s life starts becoming increasingly complicated. Will he carry through with his plan, or will he let love win out?

Opening Sentence: Lowe Magnusson scanned the desolate Union Pacific depot lobby.

The Review:

I had mixed feelings before starting this book. On one hand, I love Jenn Bennett’s Arcadia Bell series. On the other
Lauren
Grim Shadows
4 Stars

Lowe Magnusson is an unrepentant bad boy - a con artist, a thief and a notorious liar. That is until he meets the one woman who makes him want to be a better man. Hadley Bacall is a spirited and intelligent scholar, yet she yearns for the closeness of friendship and family that has long been denied her. When Lowe and Hadley come together in search of an ancient archeological artifact, sparks fly and windows shatter - literally...

Excellent historical research results in an imme
nick
Nov 05, 2015 nick rated it really liked it
Loved! But that scene near the end was super sad!! :(

Review to come!
Sophie
Oct 16, 2016 Sophie rated it really liked it
So like. What to think of a woman whose anger literally summons dark spirits who wreak havoc?

Like on the one hand, her anger is powerful and you'd better not piss her off because she could ACTUALLY kill you. But on the other hand, this means she spends most of the book feeling guilty for and/or trying to suppress her anger, and women should be allowed to get angry! So I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Ultimately, though, I liked this book a lot. The romance was delightful and steamy and full of
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 14, 2014 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, pnr
I recently read Bitter Spirits, the first book in this series and was seriously impressed. I had put it off because it was set in the twenties and had paranormal elements and for whatever reason that didn’t appeal to me. But after seeing so many positive reviews, I read it and loved it and was exited to pick up Grim Shadows. I liked this book, not quite as much as Bitter Spirits though.

Lowe Magnusson (Winter’s brother from Bitter Spirits) is an Archaeologist who has spent the past nine months in
Jaclyn
More like a 2.5. I think I'm in the minority here, but there's something about this series that I just find rather bland.

I feel like I am missing something with Jenn Bennett's prohibition era series. Everyone seems to love it, but for me, I could take it or leave it. The series has an interesting concept, but as with the previous book, I'm left feeling ambivalent.

Grim Shadows features the younger brother of the hero from book one. Lowe Magnusson is an archaeologist who's determined to make a na
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

If there is one series that stands out with its originality and its imagination, it’s Jenn Bennett’s Roaring Twenties series. When I learned that the heroine, Hadley Bacall is a curator and the hero, Lowe Magnusson is an archaeologist, I knew I was going to love this book. I’m such a sucker for these type of stories. Not only is it steeped in history and old truths, but Bennett adds a magical element to it as well, catapulting this series into something in its own universe.

Hadley is cursed with
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Roaring Twenties

I can't quite decide if I love this series so much because I've discovered a passion for the 20s era it's set in, or if I only love it so well because of Bennett's exquisitely sensual and clever writing, but either way, I'm definitely loving it! Grim Shadows is an excellent follow up to Bitter Spirits in every conceivable way.

We return to the delectable Magnusson brothers, this time with Lowe, younger brother of Winter from book one, who's just back from his grand adventures in E
Flor
Jan 19, 2016 Flor rated it liked it
3.5
Barb Lie
Jun 16, 2014 Barb Lie rated it really liked it
Grim Shadows by Jenn Bennett is the 2nd book in her Roaring Twenties series. Of course, knowing the series title, you know this series takes place during the prohibition era, and in San Francisco, with a paranormal/magic background theme. Wheras, Bitter Spirits (first book) was about bootlegging and ghosts; Grim Shadows is about Archaeology and specters (evil spirits).

Our hero is Lowe Magnusson, who is Winter’s (first book hero) younger brother. He is a con-man, but also a charming and gorgeous
Melliane
May 06, 2014 Melliane rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Since the end of the first volume, I was looking forward to discover this second novel by Jenn Bennett. I always enjoy a story from another time, so you can suspect that Roaring Twenties with all this different culture could only fascinate me.

After discovering Winter in the first book, we have another character here and we discover this time his brother: Lowe. The two are very different but it was very interesting to meet this archaeologist who returns home
Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 01, 2014 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
4.5

Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

Book 2 in the Roaring Twenties series begins with a chase on a train and an action-packed first meeting. You can’t help but get caught up in all the action.

I love the movie The Mummy (the one with Brendan Fraser), and this book kind of reminds me of The Mummy but set in San Francisco. We’ve got Lowe Magnusson a Berkley scholar and archaeologist, but who deals in forgeries and scams, rather than staying above-board. Normally a hero who lies all the time,
Kimberly
Jan 04, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Five reasons to grab a cup of coffee and curl up with Grim Shadows

1. The Roaring Twenties and Egyptian artifacts wrapped in paranormal woo-woo. Bennett weaves a wicked tale around an ancient curse, specters and a quest to find missing pieces to an artifact. All of this in hopes of stopping a lunatic. It was a gripping tale from beginning to end and had me captivated.

2. The Magnusson brothers. Yum. Lowe is Winter’s younger brother. He is an archaeologist and like his brother he skirts around the
Hannah Givens
Grim Shadows effortlessly blends 1920s historical romance with an "urban fantasy" tone. There's a hot, believable romance, with just enough magical elements to keep things interesting. I love romances about historians, apparently that's my niche, and this book delivers: It's basically a cursed museum curator's romance with Indiana Jones. It's well-written, reads quickly, and again, the romance is hot but believable. (Also, I now want a 1920s peacock chemise). This is the second book in a series, ...more
Beth
Nov 17, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
This was really delightful! I recently discovered Jenn Bennett when I heard about her new (and first) YA book, The Anatomical Shape of a Heart.

Since I couldn't wait for that book, I decided to give this romance series a chance. Set in San Francisco in the Roaring Twenties with a supernatural twist, I was so pleased! Really great dialogue, a fun mystery revolving around a mysterious Egyptian artifact, an Indiana Jones type archaeologist, and a lovely, shy, but awesome lady who has really kick as
Angel
Jun 16, 2014 Angel rated it liked it
Ronda
Jan 20, 2014 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-favourites
Loved Loved Loved this book!!!

The first book of The Roaring Twenties was brilliant, loved every page and I had high hopes that this book would follow suit, it was, in fact, even better!

Winter stole our hearts in book 1, in book 2, his younger brother Lowe takes on the role! Lowe returns from Egypt with an artifact he intends to forge and sell twice. Hadley meets Lowe at the train station to ensure her father gets to buy the artifact (for a very good reason), however, Lowe is already being sought
Julia
Jan 08, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it
Oh, these irresistible Magnusson boys. Probably a bit too complex and cosmopolitan for their time period, but we'll blame that on their daring, working-class parents, shall we? Hadley was an interesting mix of tension and longing, though I never quite figured out her relationship with her father. The story of her parents was quite a surprise, so I suppose her own wild streak comes naturally.

If I were going to list my favorite things, I'd start with the sexual fireworks between Lowe and Hadley, f
Beth
Jun 18, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: for-fun, 2014
I liked this book better than its predecessor, again, largely because I love the way Bennett writes her heroines (and, Egyptology!). Still, I am finding it hard to warm up to the Magnusson boys, primarily as they all seem to have a perverse streak (Lowe at times comes off as a 1920s version of Sir Mix a Lot). Here's hoping the third book, which features their sister, will lean more toward "awesome heroine" than "icky Alpha."
Mandy
Aug 09, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it
Well, I liked the action/mystery part of this story better than the previous one. There was a much stronger paranormal element here. I also really liked both of the protagonists. Separately. However, as a romantic couple, there just wasn’t any chemistry. No chemistry at all. That’s kinda important when it’s a paranormal ROMANCE. Ugh. Sigh.
Deanne
Nov 20, 2014 Deanne rated it really liked it
Better than the first this deals with Lowe Magnusson, just back from an archaeological dig in Egypt with an artefact smuggled out. There's a damsel, a bad guy and San Francisco in the roaring twenties, fun read and characters to like.
Sunny
Mar 31, 2014 Sunny rated it it was amazing
Oh my, this was so good. It was fanciful, luscious, erotic and thrilling. Great paranormal with a touch of Egyptian mythology. I might just perish having to wait for the next book.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 12:38PM
  • Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • That Touch of Magic (Nodaway Falls, #2)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • The Kraken King and the Greatest Adventure (Iron Seas, #4.8; Kraken King, #8)
  • The Ronin's Mistress (Sano Ichiro, #15)
  • How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
  • Tempered (The St. Croix Chronicles, #4)
  • Spirited (Tidewater, #1)
Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of the Arcadia Bell urban fantasy series (KINDLING THE MOON), the Roaring Twenties romance series (BITTER SPIRITS), and the young adult contemporary romances THE ANATOMICAL SHAPE OF A HEART (aka NIGHT OWLS in the U.K.) and ALEX, APPROXIMATELY. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews from major trade publications, won the Romance Writers of America's p ...more
More about Jenn Bennett...

Roaring Twenties (3 books)
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Grave Phantoms (Roaring Twenties, #3)

“Well, imagine that. She didn't shrivel up and die at the feel of his lips on hers—or, rather, she might, but it wasn't him in particular. And instead of just telling him never to try it again, she confessed her secret—partly, anyway.

It almost felt like a challenge. At least, that's how his ever-optimistic brain interpreted it, as if she were saying: You want this? Good luck. You're going to have to work for it.”
1 likes
“You liked it?" He said this with a boyish tilt to his lips, as if he wanted to be proud of himself for thinking of it but needed her confirmation to be sure.” 1 likes