Jump to ratings and reviews

The Life After #2

Soul Possessed

Life after Life

Now Maggie has been given the chance of her after-life to become a Guard, nothing will stand in her way. Not even the undeniable attraction she feels for her trainer and past love--Jackson. But when the battle between Shadowed and Guard begins again which side will she choose?

When her boss, Felix, partners Jackson and Maggie up with Ally and Cooper to investigate terrifying Shadowed activity in a small New England town, she doesn't think it could get any worse. Jackson and Cooper barely tolerate each other and this time, Maggie isn't just proving her loyalty to the Guard during one mission...she has a side mission too. One so secret and so dangerous she can't tell a soul...

The Life After series:

Loading interface...

About the author

Katlyn Duncan

19 books341 followers
Katlyn Duncan is a multi-published author of adult and young adult fiction, and has ghostwritten over 40 novels for children and adults.

When she’s not writing, she’s obsessing over many (many) television series’, and hanging out on YouTube where she shares her writing process and all the bookish things.

Keep up with Katlyn by subscribing to her newsletter: www.katlynduncan.com/newsletter.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (4%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews
Profile Image for Kaleena Melotti.
44 reviews1 follower
January 21, 2014
Soul Possessed picks up right where Soul Taken left off, so if you haven't read that, STOP! Go read it, and I promise you won't regret it.

In this second chapter of the trilogy, Maggie is now a Guard... well, a Guard in training. Ally has transformed and is in Guard training as well. Jackson is Maggie's trainer following his double agent lifestyle infiltrating the Shadowed for the Caeleste. Cooper is Ally's trainer. Maggie is a Soul Taker, a special Prognatum. She died prior to her 18th birthday, so she never transformed though. In this sequel, we get to see her hone her power into a skill that works for her. All the while, she is afraid of becoming Shadowed.

We see more of the love story unfold between Maggie and Jackson. He was told Maggie had been recycled - basically reborn - so he searched every Prognatum born for a century, just waiting to find her. (Say it with me now... AWWWWWWWEEEEE!) He now wants nothing more than to have Maggie back for his own, but she is reluctant. Opening up to him means opening herself up to her past, and her power - the orange soul taking essence - which she likens to a terrible monster inside of her that must be controlled and subdued.

The entire story centers around these four characters going on a training mission and working as a team, which is especially difficult. Maggie, the loner, needs to prove that she can be a team player. Jackson and Cooper are still alpha male personalities who both want to protect Maggie, both want to be in charge, and both think they know what's best. But, who's right? Ally is just a fresh high school graduate, who happens to get the cool job of being a Guard, and wants to have some excitement.

Their simple training mission of checking up on the Shadowed activities is drastically altered when they find out the Shadowed aren't just tempting souls to join their side, but actually possessing humans. They've destroyed Gate Seven... but what are they after? Maggie! With a traitor in the midst, she needs to embrace her ability because she may be the only one who can save them all.

All of the characters are fully fleshed out. I love the witty dialogue and banter and the clashing (but playing nice) personalities make for a fun read. We learn more about souls, collecting, guarding, the Caeleste and the Shadowed. Everyone has their jobs and while in the first book, we were focused on Maggie and revolved around her, in this second book, we get a look at the bigger picture of the After. The secondary characters were still vitally important to the story and are likable. None seem forced or unnecessary, which is a big pet peeve of mine, so I was extremely happy. Just like everyone has a job to do in the After, everyone played a part in driving the story line.

I thought I liked the first book until I read the sequel. Now, I'm dreading the wait until I can read the final installment, Soul Betrayed, in February.
Profile Image for Dark Faerie Tales.
2,274 reviews544 followers
October 21, 2013
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a great sequel with lots of action, romance, and a great cast of characters. It is a really fast read and very entertaining. I would highly recommend this series.

Opening Sentence: It wasn’t the first time I went back there.

The Review:

Maggie finally has gotten what she has always wanted, to become a guard in The After. She has a lot to learn still and there is only one guard willing to train her. The gorgeous guard from her past –Jackson. Maggie knows that they have a history together, but she only has a few memories from her past, and honestly she doesn’t want to remember the rest. Strung with guilt from what she did in her previous life; Maggie would rather leave the past behind and look forward to her future as a Guard. There’s no denying that she is extremely attracted to Jackson, but letting him in could be a distraction that could prove to be very dangerous.

When she and Jackson are given their first mission to go and scout out an area where the Shadowed have been spotted; Maggie couldn’t be happier to finally be proving herself. But her boss decides that she needs extra backup and she sends Cooper and Ally along as well. It’s no secret that Jackson and Cooper despise each other, but if they are going to secede in their mission everyone is going to have to play nice. Maggie has also been given a secret mission that proves to be much more difficult than she ever thought possible.

Maggie is a really fun and loveable character. Maggie’s situation is a tough one and I found myself sympathizing with her throughout the book. There are times she got a tad bit whiny, but nothing too bad. She is very independent which I really liked, but she also wasn’t afraid to ask for help if she needed it. She has a huge heart, and she really cares about her small group of friends. Her new powers terrify her, and she’s not sure she can control them. She will do anything to do the right thing, and protect the people she loves. Unfortunately, not everything in Maggie’s world is as black and white as she thought, and she is not sure which side she should be on. I found Maggie very easy to connect with and the more I got to know her the more I liked her.

Jackson really grew on me in this book. He is gorgeous and mysterious, but it is totally obvious that he is head over heels in love with Maggie. He is very protective, sometimes to the point that it is overbearing. You get to see glimpses of some of their past together and it is sweet yet heartbreaking. Jackson has this dark side to him that is very intriguing. With his smirks and his lack of personal boundaries, he tends to leave you feeling a little breathless at times. Jackson and Maggie have great chemistry and their romance was beautifully done. I loved getting to know him better and I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with him in the next book.

Cooper plays a slightly smaller part in this book, but I have to mention him because he is one of my favorite characters. I fell in love with him in Soul Taken and my connection with him just intensified in the sequel. You learn more of his back story which made me develope a new level of respect for him. He is just a genuinely good person that was nice to have around. It doesn’t hurt that he is totally gorgeous and swoon worthy. The romance between him and Maggie is very subtle and I am hoping that it will maybe be explored more in the next installment.

Soul Possessed is a great sequel filled with good action, an interesting plot, and adorable romance. The cast of characters are all very unique and relatable. They each play an integral role in the story and it was interesting to see how each one developed. The plot had some surprises that left me guessing clear to end. The pacing of the book was good, but there was a part in the middle that dragged for me a little bit, overall, it flowed really well. I enjoyed learning more about the world Duncan created, it is captivating and beautiful. The ending does have a slight cliffhanger which leaves me very eager to read the next book. Once again, Duncan did a wonderful job writing a very engaging book that is sure to leave readers very satisfied. I would highly recommend this to anyone that is looking for a unique YA paranormal series.

Notable Scene:

I needed to fix it. “Jackson, I—”

“No.” He grabbed my arm, steering me away from the gym down a long, empty hallway. He stopped in front of a row of lockers and let me go. Then proceeded to stare at me, a silent war waging across his face.

“Again, I’m sorry. I don’t know—”

“I know I don’t deserve anything from you after—” He dropped his head to his chest.

Without thinking I clasped his hand in mine. “It doesn’t matter what happened before.”

He moved closer, slowly shaking his head. “This would be so much easier if you remembered.”

“Easier for who?” I asked.

“Me. Is that what you wanted to hear?” His mouth lifted into a lopsided grin. “But not in the way you might think.” The grin morphed into a grimace and I yearned to bring his playful smile out again. “I will prove my trustworthiness to you once again. If it’s the last thing I do.”

“You don’t—”

Jackson’s fingertips touched my lips, silencing my next words. “I do.” His fingers brushed against my cheek before he dropped his hand to his side.

A fire had erupted inside of me from his one touch and I was thankful when Jackson took a step back.

A group of young children came screaming down the hallway playing a game of Tag.

“We should—” I started, breathless.

“Yeah.”

FTC Advisory: Carina Press/Harlequin provided me with a copy of Soul Possessed. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
Profile Image for Jennifer Weiser.
Author 1 book29 followers
November 5, 2013
ARC Provided By NetGalley

posted on blog 10/23/13: http://jenniferweiser.blogspot.com

If I had to pick a favorite, SOUL POSSESSED would be mine. Don't get me wrong, I loved, LOVED SOUL TAKEN, but SOUL POSSESSED held the answers I was dying to know, along with leaving me questioning everything I thought I did know!

In order to give this the best review possible, I have to give spoilers. So, I'm giving fair warning, should you not want to learn about SOUL POSSESSED in it's almost entirety, then stop reading. Right now. Just stop.

If you don't mind the spoilers, or have already read SOUL POSSESSED and just want to know my low down, YAY! We shall continue.

I can't deny that Maggie gets her chance to become a Guard. After all, above this review, it's clear as day. So, that you know. Good. It saves us time. And you have learned that Jackson is her trainer, and the past love of her life... so let's pick up from there.

After battling to keep Ally alive, Maggie has finally been given what she so desperately craved. A place with the Guard. It's anything but sunshine and rainbows. That top respect the Guard get, didn't land on Maggie. Nope. Not even chose. In fact it lands her the opposite.

Everyone within the After has learned of Maggie and her battle between David. The night the orange essence rolled from her fingers taking his soul into her, killing him in the process. It didn't matter that she had saved Ally, or the other's that were with her. What mattered was that she could take a soul. And that in itself was dangerous. Instantly she is the outcast. The Guard choose to ignore her, everyone turning another direction when she moves near. Everyone that is, except for Jackson. The one Guard who still cares for her. Who still claims to love her even after a hundred years have past. Jackson, the one and only one who spent hundred years searching for her soul. *Sigh Factor*

Jackson agrees to train Maggie in hopes that it will help her open herself up to wanting to gain her memories back and remember the past they shared together. Jackson wants nothing more than to have Maggie back as his own, but Maggie is reluctant. Her memories where taken from her for a reason. A protection she never knew she needed until learning from Jackson what really happened the night she died. Maggie battles with the fear that a monster lives inside her, and now with the orange essence, her fears are quickly becoming harder to ignore. Maggie wants to uncover her past, but at what cost?

One thing is clear to Maggie. She wants to get to know Ally, the girl she protected and saved who also happens to be her great granddaughter. While visiting Ally's high school graduation, Shadowed(think back angels. Evil souls) descend, claiming they were sent with orders to bring Maggie back with them. Maggie has been training hard for this moment. The moment to take a Shadowed out. Except she is almost captured.

Both Jackson and Cooper claim responsibility. Both want to protect her. Both want what's best for her. Both confuse confuse Maggie. (She's not alone there.) Fleeing from the school Ally, Cooper, Jackson and Maggie return to the After to learn there is an assignment waiting for them.

Felix wants to send them on a mission that will prove their training and grant Ally and Maggie the chance to be Guards without a trainer by their side. Their mission: investigate and report back on claimed Shadowed reports in a small town. Easy enough. Except for the traitor among them.

Felix sends Maggie on a separate secret mission. Investigate Jackson and report if he is the traitor that has been aiding the Shadowed with information and set Maggie up for capture. But how can Jackson be a traitor when he has been working so hard to get Maggie prepared to take out the Shadowed? Better yet? Why would Jackson want her captured when he claims he loves her with all he has? Maggie sets out on her secret mission to prove Felix wrong. There is no way Jackson would want to hurt her or her friends.

As the four begin investigating the town, they begin to learn that the Shadowed aren't just lurking around dark corners and tempting souls to join their cause, they are doing much worse. Possession is occurring and dark souls are hunting. Secrets are being held, a traitor is betraying them and Maggie may be the only soul that has the power to save them all.

SOUL POSSESSED is filled with secrets, betrayal, love, laughter and heartbreak.

When someone is a link to your past, does that mean they truly know your soul?

I loved every page of SOUL POSSESSED. Just when I thought I couldn't become deeper invested Katlyn threw another turn into the book twisting whatever outcome I imagined! I'm truly blown away by this series and can't wait for book three to hit my Kindle. ONE of the best I've read this year! I dare someone to read this series and tell me I am wrong! DARE! This is a very promising series that I have no doubt will leave everyone who reads it with intense desire for the next chapter!
Profile Image for preppea.
262 reviews92 followers
May 13, 2014
I loved SOUL TAKEN. Raved about it. Was so impressed with how Katlyn Duncan was able to create an entire new world, introduce tons of new concepts, and still keep the focus on the story and the characters instead of getting bogged down in definitions and explanations. Which is why writing a review for SOUL POSSESSED is really hard for me. Because I didn’t feel like SOUL POSSESSED accomplished the same feat. For me, SOUL POSSESSED was a 2.5 star read.

Maggie is now training with Jackson to be part of the Guard, a position she’s coveted for years. Felix assigns her and Jackson to a training mission with Cooper and Ally. He also gives her a secret task of ensuring Jackson is firmly planted on the good side and not still playing double agent. Maggie still doesn’t have her memories back, but the time she’s spent alone with Jackson has brought back some of the feelings they once shared. Her feelings only multiply when Jackson gives her something she’s wanted with all her heart but never knew if she could have.

My issue with this sequel was twofold:

1) While Maggie and Jackson’s attraction was only hinted at in SOUL TAKEN, I could still feel the tension and I was missing that in SOUL POSSESSED. It may sound like they continued to evolve, but I didn’t feel it in the story.

2) I got lost in some of the other world descriptions and explanations. When the Shadowed tried to lure Maggie to the other side, I didn’t understand what they were saying. I couldn’t comprehend the differences between their Caeleste and Maggie’s Caeleste. It just wasn’t computing and I couldn’t visualize it.

The combination of these two issues made me feel indifferent to the story and what was happening. I couldn’t get into the story or the characters. It always felt like I was reading a story instead of experiencing it for myself.

SOUL POSSESSED ended with a very interesting promise of what is to come in SOUL BETRAYED. If Ms. Duncan can recreate the magic that made me fall in love with this series in the first place, I think SOUL BETRAYED has a lot of potential with the twists going on between Maggie and Jackson.

**Complimentary copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.

photo BookieWebHeader_zps2a31d562.jpg
Profile Image for Sharon.
844 reviews
January 22, 2014
Review: 4 out of 5 stars

Soul Possessed is the second book in The Life After series and follows on right where the first book left off.

Maggie is now a Guard of Souls in The After, training alongside broody smexy Jackson who she shares an interesting past with she has a lot of work ahead of her, especially with her interesting new ability to take a soul and not really being accepted by the others.

Maggie has progressed so much since the first book, I adore her witty personality, her independence and her kindness to others but there was also a sadness and vulnerability about her that you couldn’t help but sympathise with. Jackson is dark, protective, mysterious, dedicated and loyal – I found myself with my fingers firmly crossed that these two would be together but there were a number of hurdles preventing this.

All of the secondary characters were well-developed and played an important role in this book – I adored Cooper, he was such a fun, loveable guy but to be honest I don’t see him with the MC. Ally was intriguing, I enjoyed getting to know more about her and Leha was a favourite.

The plot was fascinating and action-packed as we learn more about the souls – good and evil, guards etc. and see the characters embark on a mission to investigate the shadowed (evil) hunting and recruiting in a small town and someone within their group being a traitor; just as I thought I knew what was going to happen, there would be a twist I never saw coming, it made for an interesting and fast-paced read as I was frantically turning the pages wanting to know the outcome.

The book ends on a cliff-hanger which was my biggest gripe but other than this, I enjoyed the intense action sequences, the mystery and light romance, I wasn’t so big on the secrets and the betrayals but they were to be expected.

Katlyn Duncan’s writing flowed beautifully, the storyline was entertaining and the world-building is strong as were the well-developed likeable characters; it’s a series I am definitely invested in.
Profile Image for EndlessReading.
519 reviews36 followers
November 6, 2013
A HUGE thank you to Katlyn for providing me with an ARC copy of this book to review for this awesome blog tour.

Maggie is coming to terms with how much her life has changed, and at the prospect of becoming a Guard.

She;s finished it difficult to think properly with Jackson constantly hanging around her, she doest' want to remember her awful past, her human life, but Jackson, can't seem to let it go.

With Ally finally transitioning into the Prognatum successfully, then soul taker's can carry on as normal, obviously this is short lived until the next downfall commences.

Ally, Maggie, Cooper & Jackson, have been given a mission to complete as a group. This is a first for Maggie, as she tends to work alone.

With the goings on around them Maggie, is finding it difficult to stop her feelings from growing towards to luminous Guard Jackson....

Can she be with him again?

Is he on the right side?

To be honest? I'm kind of routing for Maggie & Copper to "Hook Up"

You are taken on another magical journey, where friend's become close, families are re-kindled.

There are many twists and turns along the way and Maggie has to go through a lot of surprises, heartache and hurt as she attempts to uncover the truth. Her "TRUE" heritage...

Throughout this mission, Maggie is secretly carrying out her own, can she prove her worth after all?

I HATED the ending! I did NOT see that coming.....well a certain part I did, but not the other (Yes I know I'm being cryptic, but I don't want to spoil it:)

Some people said it dragged in the middle, with me, I wouldn't say it dragged, they were a few niggly bits, but it didn't drag for me, but hey, it's different for everyone :)

I can't wait for the 3rd book to come out.
I'm soooo FULL of questions, that I NEED answering?

Can Maggie trust anyone any more?
Is it all worth the heartache?
Will Maggie & Cooper get their "FREAK ON"?
Have the Celeste been lying to everyone?

AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
Profile Image for Fiona Wilson.
Author 2 books52 followers
December 31, 2015

This is book 2 in the authors After Life series, the first being Soul Taken. You really need to read Soul Taken before reading this one to understand the story and the characters.

Following her traumatic time during her last mission, Maggie is now on her way to fulfilling her dream of becoming a Guard. She is in constant training mode with Jackson trying to hone her skills.

Jackson and Maggie are chosen for a very special mission, but they are not going to be alone. They are sent on this mission with Ally and Cooper in what should be a straightforward mission. But, of course, nothing is ever straightforward is it?

Maggie is given a secret mission which she is physically unable to share with anyone. This makes things quite difficult for her as she struggles to deal with her feelings not only for Jackson but someone else.

I was lucky enough to read this book as an ARC and I must thank the author for the opportunity. She has once again written a book which drew me in very quickly and had me reading the whole thing in one session!

The author leaves us with quite an ending to this book, one which has me even more desperate for the next one! She has set it up so we don't know what is truth and what is lies. Can Maggie really trust those she is closest to or should she disbelieve everything she has been told?

Whatever happens next it is obvious that Maggie's life is going to change, possibly not in a good way, and she will need to go through even more in the future. Bring it on!
Profile Image for cagla tastemur.
589 reviews95 followers
October 24, 2013
The mission is completed. Ally is saved. And Maggie Proved herself to Felix. She training to be a guard now. And discovering her new power is very hard...And her new power needs a human form...

(sorry for the short review. I'm in the hospital now I read the book but my mind is so full I can even write my thoughts truthly,sorry)
Profile Image for Bridget.
177 reviews16 followers
October 2, 2013
Great Sequel. The middle dragged a little for me, but overall a really awesome read.
Profile Image for Maghon Thomas.
1,270 reviews1 follower
February 10, 2014
So, we can now begin where we left off in book one, which means you need to read book one before you read this one. I will also try my absolute hardest not to give away spoilers but please beware, this one is going to be hard without a few little spoilers. And I have a whole lot to say about this one ;) Maggie is now fighting harder than ever, she wants to be a guard and she will train until she proves herself worthy. Ally and Cooper, and Jackson are all back as well as a few others from the first book as well as some wonderful new characters and some seriously heart wrenching tragic moments. Be prepared to maybe grab a tissue or 6! :)
Maggie is…almost…. a guard. She is ready but she has to prove herself. With Ally having transformed, and going through guard training as well, it seems like things might be easy, or not! Jackson is working overtime to train Maggie, as well as try to win her heart, back, again, but Maggie refuses to get the rest of her memories that she’s lost. She knows more bad things are in store and she doesn’t want to just “have” feelings for Jackson, she wants to fall in love with him again, if he earns it. Cooper is training Ally and when a situation comes up, they are stuck, just the four of them, as part of their training, but it also being a real life mission. Maggie and Ally get along, Cooper and Maggie get along, Jackon and Ally get along, but hot damn Cooper and Jackson HATE each other and it so doesn’t help that they both want Maggie. They are all but pulling out swords and you can just feel the tension. And then, there’s some crazy that happens.
Look let me be honest, there are some wonderful traits for Jackson. He didn’t know she was still alive and thought she was recycled, so he’s spent every moment looking for her in a new soul. It’s so damn sweet, but a little stalkerish too LOL And then he’s willing to give her space and time to fall back in love with him. He also wants her to learn to use her soul possessing powers, and thinks it would be better if she didn’t lose control when it does come out. He does something so completely awesome and amazing, I can’t tell you what he does, but it’s truly inspiring, and Maggie finally gives in a kisses him, and it’s beautiful…. And then Jackson does something really bad, very bretrayalish, and omg I just dropped my jaw. I know, know, know, that for whatever reason he did this “thing”, he had a reason and good intentions, but I can’t help but still feel betrayed. And I was about to give up Team Cooper for him…. *sigh* I am DYING for book three!!!
Ally finally met someone, but she is learning why humans aren’t allowed in their world. And while Maggie still thinks Cooper has feelings for Ally, she learns from both Cooper and Ally, that Cooper may just want Maggie. And I LOVE Cooper. He’s the one person from before, who knew things, and wanted to be around her willingly. He was there for her even when she didn’t realize it. Yes, he also has the whole, I know what’s best, alpha complex, but he’s also willing to let Maggie prove her worth. And with Jackson now having a damn complex, I have decided to Go all the way for TEAM COOPER…. Lawd, I know when I read book three, I am going to be so damn torn, but I’m going for it.
This series is so well written. I seriously love the whole thing. I love the characters, and their stories, and their pasts, which really really come out in this one (PS I fell in love with Cooper and Jackson more with this revelation) and the plot and the plot twists are excellent. You’ll never know what to expect and you’ll have some surprises. You’ll learn even more about this world and who the people and the big bosses are. I really loved the first book, but I am 100% head over heels for book two. I am in some serious turmoil waiting for book three. I can’t wait!!! A MAGNIFICENT PHENOMENAL 5 PAWS!
Profile Image for Michelle.
839 reviews57 followers
February 28, 2014
Katlyn Duncan’s writing draws me in, once again, in the sequel to her Life After series with Soul Possessed. Before I continue, if you haven’t read Soul Taken, I urge you to stop now because I will spoil a few things for you.

In Soul Possessed, Maggie’s life in the After has changed. Maggie has began the process towards becoming a Guard. Trained by Jackson, Maggie struggles between training and learning to recover a part of her past. To make matters more complicated, there is a renewed battle between the Shadowed and the Guard. Dangers are around every corner, and it seems that Maggie isn’t excelling as much as she would like. Missions reveal hidden agendas, and it makes Maggie question everything. And as truths are revealed, Maggie must find it within herself to choose.

Maggie transforms into someone with duty and efficiency, to one of determination and a strong will. As a reader, I always want to connect to a character. In sequels, or third books, I look to see if i can still connect with that character. Maggie is definitely one that I connected and reconnected with. I found little pieces of myself in her, and that says something about Duncan’s talent. Maggie knows who she is, and despite what may come her way, she stands true to herself. Becoming a Guard isn’t just who she is, it’s what she does.

Duncan’s characters have individually progressed in their own way. Each one played a part to the story. Every one of them has their own story, and Duncan made sure there was something to be learned from every experience. The dialogue, especially the witty banter, is one of my favorite elements of Soul Possessed. It’s smart and edgy, allowing me to be constantly engaged and in-tune with the characters. Whether the characters play for the good side or the bad side, they all knew who they were, and that is the foundation of everything great about a story. I loved the turmoil and struggle that Maggie felt towards some of the characters. It showed a side of her that I didn’t see from Soul Taken.

Soul Possessed showcases life in the After a little more than Soul Taken. I was taken deeper into this culture, learning more about the history of Maggie, the Prognatum, and others. Duncan also relays the message that if one wants something, one can make it happen. It’s a strong message within a beautiful story.
Profile Image for Kasey.
1,141 reviews30 followers
November 9, 2013
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*
Soul Possessed was a kick you in the teeth kind of book from the moment it opened. Maggie and Jackson are finally beginning to talk, and Maggie is still reeling from what happened at the end of Soul Taken. I really wanted Maggie to give Jackson a chance here, because he worked so hard for her.

The Shadowed are on the move, and the Caeleste need to know why so they end up pairing Maggie, Jackson, Ali, and Cooper together in order to find the Shadowed. I really liked that Maggie begins to work together with Ali and Cooper. There is even an introduction to an amazing character Leha, who ended being one of my favorites in this book.

I don’t want to give away any spoilers so what I will say is that there is some craziness that happens and a few people have their true colors revealed. The big reason this book only gets 4 out of 5 stars instead of a full 5 is because of lies. I’m not a big fan of a person being kept in the dark, and that’s all that Maggie is. In the dark. It’s incredibly annoying because I want her to be able to make the right decision, but how can she if she doesn’t have all the facts?

Overall, I really enjoyed both of these books, and I can’t wait to my hands on the third one. It looks like it should be an amazing finish.

*This review was first posted to Moonlight Gleam Reviews http://moonlightgleam.com/2013/11/sou...*
Profile Image for Bookish Satty.
697 reviews21 followers
March 14, 2014
This is a series review !!!

Series Rating : 5 Stars !!!

I got this series from the author as a complimentary copy, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank the author and the tour organizers for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this series.

Okay, so first of all I would like to say that I just loved this series a lot!!!

There is action, mystery and lots of suspense which will definitely give you goosebumps. The characters are properly developed and have attitude and personality that highlighted each of them equally in this story and most importantly the author didn't neglect any side characters and gave them their own voice which made the read that much more interesting.

Moreover I loved the writing style of the author, it has a unique quality that distinguishes it from others and it made the read refreshing and entertaining. I felt the concept is unique too and the execution is brilliantly done. So overall this is a series which you guys wouldn't want to miss, so go on and grab your copy and loose yourself in this fabulous and fantastic world that the author created and I bet that you guys wouldn't find the way out of this mesmerizing read. Enjoy!!!
Profile Image for Leticia.
258 reviews18 followers
September 4, 2016
I received this eBook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Hmm, I wasn’t so enamored with this book like I was with the first one. I think this book suffered from “Second Book Syndrome.” This book fell pretty flat for me.

So.
Maggie is in the Guard now. Having managed to prove herself as Guard material and such. And she’s training with Jackson, her ex boyfriend and possible double agent. Huh.

The best part of the book I shall keep quiet about, as to not ruin it but I’m glad that Jackson did that for Maggie. Having a sense of family was very important for Maggie.

There really were more questions than answers in this book. Like, what the heck kind of powers does Maggie have? Why is Felix such an enigma? What the heck is Robert up to? Who took Jamie?
I understand that books must build up to the conclusion but this book felt like it would never end because it slowed down and lost the pace that the first book had. That tends to take away from the enjoyment of reading for me.

Please visit me at Shh, I Am Reading for more reviews like this.
Profile Image for Carol.
95 reviews
July 19, 2014
This is the second of three books and TBH I preferred the first one.

Maggie has finally been given a position as Guard, and she is in training with her double-agent ex-boyfriend, Jackson.

Is Jackson what he says he is? What about Cooper, who acts a bit suspicious and then doesn't. Felix is a bit of an enigma and I don't know if he is completely trustworthy either. What about Robert? Is he working for the Shadowed or just a nosey, meddling human? What has happened to Jamie? Will Maggie meeting a significant other from her past make her power more or less uncontrollable?

All these questions and more will NOT be answered in this book! Hopefully we will find out who is a good guy and who a bad guy in the final book, which I will be starting later on today.
3 reviews1 follower
June 4, 2014
The Life After Series is a great series.

The way each of the series end makes one want to immediately move to the next to see what Maggie will be called onto do. I can't wait to finish the last in the trilogy.
Profile Image for Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts).
652 reviews231 followers
December 20, 2018
I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Dear Soul Possessed,

I have mixed feelings about you. Very mixed feelings.

I didn't make an attempt to predict you as I had with your older sibling, Soul Taken . I find that not predicting is sometimes more fun. But I am not mind blown. I find that I'm not that mind blown with a lot of books these days because when you get to a certain amount of books, some things tend to be repetitive.

But you, Soul Possessed, have something that I like about you. Your world. The After sounds awesome – I think I probably mentioned that back in Soul Taken. I also want to know more about the wards that appear quite often, but I'm probably not going to get much of an answer if I look again into your depths and many layers.

Obviously, I don't like the villain. But I don't feel anything for the "demonic" presence within you. I'm that bystander who watches a little kid get pushed and pulled on the playground by the big kid and his cronies, and I do nothing. I just sit and watch as the events play out and feel nothing at all.

You are that weird one that I like but don't feel anything for. It's like a best friend having a crush on you and finally making a move, only finding out after making the move that you don't feel anything for that friend. Just an affection. A fondness. Something that you would feel for a sibling.

I don't know if I want to meet your little sibling. I want to, maybe just for the sense of finality. But I don't want to, because I'm pretty sure I'll feel the same way for him as I do for you.

I am sorry to inform you, Soul Possessed, that my soul is not possessed by you. But there will be others who will be possessed by your world and your characters, and simply everything there is about you because I'm sure you deserve it. I'm just not one of them.
Sincerely,
Unpossessed Soul

This review was originally posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.