Start by marking “Shardfall (The Shardheld Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shardfall (The Shardheld Saga, #1)

Read Book

Shardfall

(The Shardheld Saga #1)

Muus is only a thrall, a chattel without rights, but he knows the small, blue shard he picked up belongs to him alone. His commonsense saves their lives from cold and starvation.

Kjelle, heir to the Lord of a rich mininghold, is spoiled, and covetous of his thrall's tantalizing find. His greed causes an avalanche that leaves both young men marooned on an icy mountain slope.
Published June 6th 2013 by Red Rune Books

To ask other readers questions about Shardfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shardfall

Start your review of Shardfall (The Shardheld Saga, #1)
Sylvie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had a bad week and this book helped me go throught with it. Very good book.
Philip Dodd
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shardfall by Paul E. Horsman

I won this book as a Booklikes giveaway, I am very pleased to say. Never won a book before. Firstly, I was drawn to this book by its cover, which displays a very fine illustration by an artist called Jos Weijmer. Now that I have read the book, I know that it depicts the struggle in Chapter One, between Kjelle, the young heir to the mininghold, and his slave, Muus, on a snowy mountain slope, in the moment after they have found the magical object that has fallen from the sky, which is called the
Cate
This is the Author’s debut novel, and the first in The Shardheld Sage series.

The saga is set back in history during the time of the Norse Men, and is very well researched. As the reader progresses through the pages they receive a glimpse of life as it was, not only for the Norse Men themselves, but also for the poor souls they captured and used as slaves. But don’t think that this is just a historical novel, as it’s not; it is so much more than that.

As this is the first in the series, the
Merisha28
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shardfall by Paul E Horsman
Print Length: 143 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 9491730037
Publisher: Red Rune Books (June 6, 2013)

My Review~
I received this book in exchange for a honest unbiased review!
This is not my typical read, but I'm happily surprised at what a great book it is. This is a very fast paced read that once you start you will not put it down until the very end! The characters are awesome and I loved the story line and plot. The set-up for the upcoming books is wonderful. I love that
Melissa Haggerty
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shardfall is the first book in The Shardheld Saga. Sometimes with a first book the kinks are still getting worked out, but I didn’t find that problem at all with Shardfall. I was interested immediately, and I thought the book was very well written. The characters are engaging, the scenery explained well, and the plot exciting.

The book centers around four main characters, with plenty of secondary characters throughout. I was invested in each of these characters and how everything would turn out
Stacey Blake
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shardfall is a fantasy story set in Viking times. It begins with a slave named Muus having to travel with his master Kjelle, the heir to the king, up a snowy mountain to find the source of a blue light. There, an avalanche occurs, and the adventure begins for these two boys. They hate each other which adds to the drama of their journey.
I really enjoyed this book; it was fairly easy to follow even with all the different names for people, places, and things. Throw in some magic and you have a
Andrea Kruse
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shardfall is the first book of the Shardheld Saga, written by Paul E. Horsman. In this book the cast of characters is assembled and the great quest is outlined. I immediately felt compassion for Muus and disliked how Kjelle treated him. But since Muus is the main character in the book, and Shardheld, the tables soon turn and the "thrall" or slave becomes empowered. I have to hope there will be some redemption for Kjelle, maybe in the upcoming books, since he is just such an un-likable character. ...more
Abby Flanagan
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing you will love it and you will not let the book go out of your hands and and if you are in school and your teacher tells you to out down the book you will never stop I was advices to it I am in middle school now
L.S. Palafox
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really fantastic.

Shree
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story beings with a “lighting ball” falling over a sacred mountain. The holder of Eidungruve (analogous to a chief of that particular village) sends his son,Kjelle along with his slave, Muus to investigate that peculiar occurrence.
When the salve, Muus touches the “lighting ball” stone, the stone bonds with him and he is essentially freed from being a slave. When Kjelle grabs the stone from muus,an avalanche occurs causing the mountains to collapse and blocks the search party's return path
Rae Ryans
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a lover of both fantasy (all types) and anything that dives into mythology (all types but I love Norse mythology more). If you follow my reviews, you know this, but I always like stating it upfront, so readers know where I'm coming from ;)

This is a multi-pov novel introducing us to the key players within the series itself. The first is always the toughest, but if you love learning in-depth about the characters, it makes perfect sense to read fantasy in this point-of-view. I personally loved
Awesome Indies Book Awards
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In Shardfall, something mysterious falls from the sky. The village chief sends his son, Kjelle, and the son’s slave, Muus, to retrieve it. But it is the slave, not the chief’s son, who, it turns out, is the shardheld, for whom the stone brings a bit of magic and a change in destiny. The story is filled with Norse names and mythology, and it works quite well. There’s a glossary at the back for the unfamiliar words, but I didn’t have any trouble sussing out what was what while reading.

The world
Kayla West
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
When a strange stone seems to fall from the sky and lands at the top of the Silfjall mountain near Eidungruve Hold, it sets a string of events in motion that could change lives forever.

Muus is a thrall, a lowly companion to Prince Kjelle. Captured and brought to live with the Nords as a boy, he has a past he cannot remember and so must deal with the fate life has dealt him. But fate has more in store for him than he realizes.

When the prince is called by his father to investigate the matter of
Becca
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I loved that it was set back in time during the Viking era. Everything begins as you meet a slave named Muus, who has a master that is named Kjelle. Kjelle and Muus go on a hike up the mountain to find the source of what is making the blue light. An avalanche ensues after that and this is where everything truly begins of them having to work together to survive and find answers. I will warn that a lot of the names of the people are a little hard to pronounce but ...more
Deb
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Terribly, terribly sorry.
The story could very well be very good, but I've just run out of patience. I sense the potential, and i may come back to it and find that it turns out really great, but I just can't leave it hanging at the moment.
I'm not drawn-in. I think I am a really harsh critique for that, though. I am. And yet, it's the main thing I look for an any book, knowing full well how rare it is.
One day, I may have more time and I may be able to commit to a story that I'm not living...

But,
Niki
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shardfall is playing in a Viking like time where you meet Muus and Kjelle, in an adventure. They climb on the mountain to find out the source of the blue light, when a avalance hit them. They are totally on their own and need to find a way to survive and to work together to safe their town. I loved Birthe, a young widow with a baby, Very strong and smart. This is a book full with Norse mythology. fantasy and magic. Written in a fast past. I loved every second of it and can't wait for the next.

I
Steven Pemberton
Feb 23, 2015
Jane
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm being generous in giving this book 3 stars. It was closer to 2.5 due to the numerous grammatical errors that should have been caught by a good editor.
The plot moves along quickly and the characters are interesting so those were definite pluses. With just a bit more effort this story could have been developed even further.

Carol Ann
Imke Smeets
Feb 24, 2016
Tamara Geraeds
Jun 15, 2017
Paul E. Horsman (1952) is a Dutch and International Fantasy Author. Born and bred in the Netherlands, he now lives in Roosendaal, a town on the Dutch-Belgian border.

He has been a soldier, a salesman, a scoutmaster and an instructor of Dutch-as-a-Second- Language and Integration to refugees from all over the globe.

Now retired, he is a full-time writer of fantasy adventure stories suitable for a

The Shardheld Saga (3 books)
  • Runemaster (The Shardheld Saga, #2)
  • Shardheld (The Shardheld Saga, #3)