Start by marking “Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1)

Lowcountry Boil (Liz Talbot Mystery #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  3,284 Ratings  ·  490 Reviews
Private Investigator Liz Talbot is a modern Southern belle: she blesses hearts and takes names. She carries her Sig 9 in her Kate Spade handbag, and her golden retriever, Rhett, rides shotgun in her hybrid Escape. When her grandmother is murdered, Liz high-tails it back to her South Carolina island home to find the killer. She’s fit to be tied when her police-chief brother ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Henery Press (first published September 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lowcountry Boil, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Susan Boyer Hi! This is a great question, and one that I've received once before via email. The answer is alluded to in the book, but perhaps not spelled out in…moreHi! This is a great question, and one that I've received once before via email. The answer is alluded to in the book, but perhaps not spelled out in detail, at least in this context. Emma Rae Talbot married very young--at age eighteen--and began having children almost immediately. Stuart Devlin, who was the same age, didn't marry until eight years later, when he was twenty-six. Then he and his wife waited ten more years before having their oldest child. Stuart was forty-one when Michael was born. By that time, Emma Rae's oldest child, Frank had one child of his own, Blake, and would have Liz not much more than a year later. Thank you so much for reading! Susan M. Boyer(less)

Carmen
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
RE-READ: 06/12/2015
My thoughts are pretty much the same. I was so impressed with Liz's strength (emotional strength) when she (view spoiler) Wow, way to be a strong woman who makes smart decisions! <3
...

This book starts with Liz and Nate, private investigators, watching a rabbit. The rabbit starts to run. They chase him. He pulls a gun on them saying, "I'm not giving that bitch a dime."

A page later, we
Cynthia D'Alba
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a totally charming read. The author’s voice and writing style are cozy-mystery in tone but the protagonist here is a professional private investigator (as opposed to a nosey heroine we find in so many cozies!)

The story opens with Liz coming home for her grandmother’s funeral, only to learn from her brother, the local chief of police, that the death is far from natural. She also discovers that her grandmother has bequeath her house to Liz. Liz’s first inclination is to so
LynDee
Y'ALL. There's a reason this book won a Daphne -- several reasons, actually. If you like fantastic, funny mysteries with a great cast of very real characters, run -- don't walk -- to the nearest bookstore or amazon link and order a copy of LOWCOUNTRY BOIL.

I admit, I completely felt like Susan M. Boyer wrote a mystery just for little ol' me. The heroine is a smartassed PI who doesn't know how to listen to her well-meaning and over-protective big brother and has a healthy helping of hunky guys han
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a review of the audio and first installment in this fun cozy mystery series. I think for the second book, I will read it rather than listen because the narrator's southern accent did not sound genuine to me. I'm from North Carolina and have lived in South Carolina, too, and it was the "southern accent where you sound like you are talking with something in your mouth!" 😂

Accent aside, this was an entertaining mystery with engaging characters and even a ghost. The Lowcountry is one of my f
Larissa Reinhart
Susan M. Boyer has written a clever mystery with an engaging female detective in Liz Talbot, a true "Steel Magnolia." She carries a Sig 9 and faces danger head on while keeping the gracious manners of a true Southern belle (although her mother has to remind her to wear lipstick).

I loved the Low Country setting on her fictional but realistic island of Stella Maris, South Carolina. You will hunger for the Southern and Low Country food, yearn for the beautiful beach setting, and bite your nails as
Rebecca
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book! I did not know what to expect when I started reading it, but it was really well written, and funny!
Jonathan
Absolutely excellent debut. I loved all the characters and the author did a wonderful job. Highly recommend, and I can guarantee that I'll be reading the next one.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Private Investigator Liz Talbot, along with her business partner, Nate Andrews owns a small private investigation firm in Greenville, South Carolina. Then life takes a drastic turn for Liz.

First Liz receives an urgent message from her best friend from High School days, Colleen. Colleen says, "Liz, Come home." Now that may not sound critical but when you realize that Colleen died during their Junior year in school...well. Liz accepts this message in stride as haunts are accepted in her life on th
Terri Austin
When Liz Talbot goes home to Stella Maris for her grandmother's funeral, she never expected to stay. But that's exactly what happens when she discovers that her grandmother's tragic fall isn't what it seems. So now Liz is determined to learn the truth about her grandmother's death, but she has a proper Southern mama to contend with, Merry, her do-gooder sister who wants to change things up in Stella Maris,her brother, Blake, the Police Chief who resents Liz's interference, and the one that got a ...more
Kim Boykin
Looking for a sassy Southern read? LOWCOUNTRY BOIL, Susan Boyer's debut novel,is a fast paced heart-warming whodunit with a slew of colorful characters. In protagonist Liz Talbot, Boyer has created an independent kick butt woman who isn't afraid of anything, not even the truth behind her grandmother's murder.

just for the books: Currently Reading 1 3 Apr 02, 2015 05:41AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Lowcountry Boil - 10th July Book 1 3 Jul 22, 2013 11:52AM
Mystery Lovers!: First Reads Giveaway - LOWCOUNTRY BOIL 1 19 Sep 02, 2012 12:26PM
  • Portrait of a Dead Guy (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #1)
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • Double Whammy (Davis Way Crime Caper, #1)
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • Buried Leads (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, #2)
  • Board Stiff (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #1)
  • The Ambitious Card (An Eli Marks Mystery, #1)
  • Forgive & Forget (Love in the Fleet, #1)
  • Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1)
  • Malicious Masquerade
  • Pillow Stalk (Madison Night Mystery, #1)

Susan M. Boyer is the author of the USA TODAY bestselling Liz Talbot mystery series. Her debut novel, Lowcountry Boil (Liz Talbot Mystery #1) won the Agatha Award for Best First Novel, the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense, and garnered several other award nominations, including the Macavity.

Lowcountry Boneyard, the third Liz Talbot mystery, was a Spring 2015 Southern Inde

More about Susan M. Boyer...

Liz Talbot Mystery (6 books)
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
  • Lowcountry Boneyard (Liz Talbot Mystery, #3)
  • Lowcountry Bordello (Liz Talbot Mystery #4)
  • Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5)
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
“Colleen appeared on the loveseat. “Stay.” “I’m staying, all right?” I leaned forward. “Would you please find Gram? Find out what happened.” Colleen turned transparent. “Can’t.” Her voice echoed. “Why are you here if you can’t help?” I shouted. “Merry.” The whisper was so loud it filled the room. “What” 2 likes