Start by marking “Whatever It Takes” as Want to Read:
Whatever It Takes

Whatever It Takes

Gavin Fitzgerald is the perfect husband. His wife, Emma, was always able to brag to her friends about how caring, loving, helpful, and successful he was. Having been married five years, they have just put the finishing touches on their dream home and are ready to start a family. Everything seems ideal until one day Gavin confesses to Emma that he was unfaithful, turning th ...more
Published June 5th 2013 by Maretta Publishing

Roksana
Bev
Really liked this one, and before I go any further there is CHEATING in this book. It's in the blurb so if you're a cheater hater then this one is not for you. Me? I inhale this trope when it's done well, and this one was.

Gavin effed up, monumentally. Was he an idiot? Absolutely. But he owned his eff up, knew he did so very wrong and worked for and earned his forgiveness. THIS is how you grovel! Emma didn't just roll over, oh no! I love love love how the author handled this very sensitive subje
Patty❤️'s
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
3⭐⭐⭐1/2 ...more
Luzia Bielefeld *BookWhore BR*
The excuse he gave for having sex with the other woman was not convincing to me. He did it because he could. After all the other woman was his ex-girlfriend who left him and broke his heart.

(view spoiler)
Lyuda
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
The concept of the story was interesting: how can marriage survive cheating? But the story left more to be desired.
The author tried very hard to show that the hero, even though he cheated one time, was a great guy. As the other reviewer pointed out, I also could not get passed the cruelty that the hero showed to OW. That was telling me more about his character than any "loving and attentive" things he did to redeem himself in his wife's eyes.
The writing was very uneven .

Linda Sims
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
EMOTIONAL READ

Gavin Fitzgerald and his wife Emma have been married for five blissful years. Then while Gavin was away on a three day business trip he cheats. Filled with remorse and guilt he confesses to Emma hoping she can forgive him. He tells her it meant nothing. Emma's reaction and subsequent attitude towards him is nothing more than he expected, but as the time passes by and Emma's forgiveness isn't forthcoming Gavin starts to lose patience. Mostly because there's more to Gavin's story tha
Vee Paige
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.25 I was looking for a book that would erase the taste I had at the end of another book. So yes, this book is about how a couple recovers from the shattering moment when someone cheats in a marriage. Our hero did the unthinkable, something I don't like reading in my romance novels. But we get the entire book dealing with how he and Emma work through his betrayal. Gavin had his reason and it's not what is typical in this kind of books like loss of the spark or too busy with children or careers. ...more
Rejane
Another cheater book. The excerpts in this review: priceless.
The other woman attacked you and you couldn't resist, or fight? Speechless

J
Jan 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: hero-cheats
This book got me really upset. The husband deliberately cheated with ex as a revenge plot!!
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

I was looking forward to reading Whatever It Takes. It is not your normal romance since it starts off the day after Gavin admits he cheated on his wife Emma. I was curious to see if the author would be able to write it so that the couple would be able to work it out and get stronger or if this was the beginning of the end of the relationship.

Gavin cheated on his wife. It was just one night and it will never happen again according to him. He is
Veronica Mckenna
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bridget
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Allison Kohn
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bok Review of Whatever it Takes

What happens to a marriage – to the individuals involved – when one of them cheats? Emma and Gavin have to find a way to rebuild their relationship; or chuck it all. They had a good thing going and when Emma is confronted with the ugly truth, she can hardly bear it. There was more to it than a slip of faithlessness – a breach of contract – and the two of them have to find out more about themselves and what is important in life. An interesting read. You’ll enjoy it
Jessa
3.5ish. I’m in an angsty-book mood so of course I hit up a cheating romance. I liked the level of grovel in this one, though Gavin’s reasons for cheating were pretty thin. I was also not feeling that he was getting frustrated with Emma so early in the healing process. Idk why I love these kinds of books though, because I swear I’d have zero capability of forgiveness in my heart no matter how much time passed by.

I will say that unlike some other books like this, I do believe it was only a one ti
JBro
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book begins with Gavin admitting to Emma that he cheated on her while on a recent business trip. They have been happily married for several years, and while Emma seems a little too focused on everyone else thinking that they have the perfect life, they really do seem to be in a good place in many ways. I really enjoyed this book, and I gave it five stars because it seemed so realistic and...possible.

Gavin comes from a large family, and even though his father died while he was young, he has
Sandy Grassini
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I received a copy of the book from the author for my honest review of this book. I'm going to tell you that I absolutely without a doubt LOVED this book. This book is real life stuff that happens to people everywhere.

I know a good book when you can feel the characters emotions in a book. This book did that for me. I could feel the hurt and pain when times were tough and I could feel the love and joy when they were happy.

I love the 2 characters. Emma has OCD and always has to be in control of e
sue
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it

Whatever it takes by L Maretta

I have had to give this 3 stars. Let me explain why.

The concept of this story is good, in the sense that its real, it happens to people and we know this to be true, but we also know it to be true that infidelity doesn't just 'go away' it takes a long time to heal, if it ever does, and rebuild on solid ground.

Another reason is because, it comes across that he is a hero for telling his wife he cheated on her! Um, now let me see......his ex cheated on him.......now he'
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

I like angst..
This book had a bit of it, but only a tiny little bit the rest was about rebuilding a relationship.
Gavin and Emma have been married for a few years, when the night before a family and friend's bbq Gavin admits he has cheated on her last month.

A. He has been holding it in for a month, and it's been "killing" him.
B. He tells his wife this one day before this big gathering, which was way wrong.

You can tell throughout the book that Gavin has honestly made a mistake, and that he does lo
Kelster
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I really liked this story, but I wish the delivery had been better. There was so much to appreciate. I liked the H and h enough, although I didn't feel as connected to them as I wanted. I liked that the h had issues but I didn't think it was explored enough, or maybe I didn't think see the purpose of them unless they were there to make her more complete or to show how great the H was in dealing with her and her issues. I liked that the H's POV was explored but there wasn't enough depth and insig ...more
Anita
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a pleasant surprise. This was an exceedingly well done portrayal of a marriage rocked by adultery. The emotions, dialogue, characters - all so well done. I wept at parts of it. There were a few minor editing issues but nothing that takes you out of the story. Some sexy times but nothing over the top - integral to the narrative. If cheating bothers you, then I wouldn't suggest reading this.... but you will be missing a solid adult romance novel. Will be looking for more from this author.
Tiff91
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cheating
i loved this book.

it was so complelling to see a marriage on the rocks because the husband wanted revenge.

emma has a big heart and so much love to give it was amazing, i was angry at gavin at saying that he was getting cranky at emma but i seen where he was coming from. he wqent to see a therapist and he realised that he made a big mistake, but he loves emma so much that much you cann see.

in the end im glad they got there happily ever after and i was so happy about that
Lauren
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A relief from the typical happily ever after love story!
Nelly
I love this story. Really realistic...

Gavin cheated on his wife Emma. They both love each other, they are both passionate and take care of each other.

But Gavin's ex-fiancee cheated on him and ditched him. He still resents her. And when he meets her at a work conference he decided to use her since she is miserable in her own marriage, make her believe he still has feelings for her before ditching her.
The revenge plan backfires because after confessing his adultery to Emma, life is now hellish...
2OCC Reviews
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jessica
I’ve been recommended this book many times by different people and finally decided to dive in. I can’t say that I was really impressed. It’s not that the plot was bad or that the characters were good characters, it just all felt monotone to me. Maybe it’s because I read so many books, good and bad, but I just couldn’t find that emotional connect to them. Yes there were scenes between Gavin and Emma that were supposed to be powerful and to some readers it will be. I just couldn’t connect. Great p ...more
Amy German
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angela
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tiffany
I liked this story, I just wish there was a little more groveling.
Maureen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angsty romance with cheating, which I was in the mood for.
Annette
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I was expecting more. I was left feeling like things were never settled.
Dawn Smith
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was provided this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was hooked on Whatever It Takes by the end of the first chapter, addicted after the second, and by the end of the book I declared this to be one of my favorite reads of 2013. This book was absolutely amazing. It is a tale of the perfect couple- Gavin and Emma. They have what their friends and family consider the perfect marriage. They balance and complete each other.

“Gavin was my rock. I was his tranquility.”

But one bad d

• A Perfect Marriage
  • The Woman He Married (A Magic City Duo Book 1)
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • The Torn Up Marriage
  • The Fourth Child (Family Matters #3)
  • The Way of the Heart
  • Contingency (Covenant of Trust #1)
  • The Marriage War
  • The Marriage Truce
  • What Mattered Most
  • Tear Stained Beaches
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Coming Home Place
L Maretta, a full time educator, has a passion for many things but most of them have taken a back seat to writing. After writing for her own enjoyment since she was a teen, she finally decided to try sharing her work with the world, and her debut novel, Whatever It Takes, was published in June 2013. Her second novel, Falling From Disgrace, followed in August. She has a great love of books, and enj ...more