Start by marking “Discoredia” as Want to Read:
Discoredia

Discoredia

As the year draws to a close a mysterious stranger makes a proposition to club owner, Warren Charlton. It's a deal involving a brand new drug called Pandemonium. The good news: the drug is free. The bad news: it comes at a heavy price, promising much but delivering far more. Euphoria and ecstasy. Death and depravity. All come together, at Discoredia.
ebook
Published September 16th 2013 by Books of the Dead Press

To ask other readers questions about Discoredia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discoredia

Mark Matthews
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Epic. This novel is a drug induced rave that keeps your heart pumping and your spine tingling. It hums and sings in both madness and Ecstasy. Drug related fiction only works if the author understands the mind of a user, and from all that I have experienced I can say that Discoredia gets it right; how the characters think, what they experience, the images, the change of consciousness, the madness that swirls.

The novel follows a handful of characters preparing for the ultimate rave part
Benjamin Gumbrell
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book based on the Hardcore scene, and a brilliant homage to the great Stephen King, this book will certainly leave you wanting more, as it has for me- even years later.
Discoredia is that rare kind of book that stays with you. It draws you into its world, tells its story and STILL leaves you wanting more answers, needing more storylines to follow.
The characters in the book are interesting, and unique. Their talking is very English, and are easy to envision and feel friendly with.
But where Disco
Claire Riley
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires, horror
For a first time book, this really is brilliant. Full of thrills, chills and the right side of creepy horror, you'll be going to bed with the light on!
San
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty gruesome but epic horror story. It starts off at a steady pace. Once you're half way in, it's a roller coaster ride of action and horror right to the very end! It's been left open to have a sequel and if there's is I will be picking it up. This was pretty awesome, not for the squeamish. Well worth a read!
Melanie Marsh
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book took me by complete surprise. I absolutely loved every minute of it, and couldn’t put it down until I finished it. There was just so much meat to it, I couldn’t wait to see what it was building up to.

Normally, I stick to obviously paranormal based books. it’s just what I like. Occasionally I’ll read something different or out of my comfort zone, just to break things up a little bit, and that is exactly what I was doing with this book. It is not marketed as a paranormal book. I think i
Kevin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read quite a few shorts by JC Michael over the last year and I’ve really enjoyed his style of writing. I picked up Discoredia, wanting to read something longer by him. I’m really glad I did. The story centres around a club owner who is building his dream club (Discoredia) to hold the rave of the century and a shady character who wants to supply the drugs for the event. As the book progresses at an intense pace we find out more about the pills on offer (Pandemoniums) are more than your usual ...more
Dean Lombardo
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The people and events surrounding a British rave event on New Year’s Eve are the focus of this contemporary horror novel crafted by debut novelist J.C. Michael. Michael does not disappoint, as Discoredia, the name of the novel and the castle-based night club where most of the story takes place, is a scary and often suffocating descent into the depths of human weakness and depravity. The pace never falters, the imaginative style is reminiscent of Clive Barker, and the horror and supernatural elem ...more
Becky Stephens
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A castle has been built in the middle of nowhere for the sole purpose of hosting several raves a year. Some think he’s crazy, others think he’s wasting time and money. But for Warren, it is something he is compelled to do after suffering a personal tragedy.

When a new drug is offered to Warren’s ravers free of charge that is promised to be better than ecstasy with the unpleasant after effects, Warren agrees. That’s when chaos and madness erupts.

The world of Discoredia is brutal and gruesome, with
Julie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a long time fan of this book, having first found it on Authonomy, and following it and J.C.'s work for the last year. (If you need a sample, read one of his short stories, and you'll see the incredible voice this author has.)

Discoredia may be reminiscent of Martin Amis, but Michael has a voice all his own. While I love the story, it's the writing itself that I fell in love with. Michael never goes for the cheap thrill, and gives us horror with an almost poetic feel that reads like an actual
David Eccles
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Written in a style reminiscent of Stephen King/Peter Straub collaborative novels "The Talisman" and "Black House", "Discoredia" is a book that gets the heart pumping, and the pace increases, transporting the reader to a night out at a top-notch rave.
The characters are well-developed and typical of the kind of people one would expect to see frequenting a rave.
Dodgy business practices; drug dealing; gut-wrenching violence; murder; heroes; people you would happily punch in the face all day if you m
Bracken
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book a blurb because I couldn't put DISCORDIA down. J.C. Michael takes his time properly setting the stage with a cast of well-drawn, fleshed out characters... and then he puts them through hell. Michaels knows what he's doing. By the time the beats start dropping at the titular nightclub, you've gotten to know these people more than just as a type (the jock, the stoner, the pris, etc.). He gives you ample reason to feel invested in each of the people unlucky enough to have chosen th ...more
Weston Kincade
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was blown away. Discoredia is a story of humanity, depravity, and living sin, shoving all else by the wayside. I read it in just a couple days and felt somewhat torn. Part of me wished to help the main characters, but almost all are littered with the flaws of humanity, some worse than others. A nagging part of me even rejoiced at each character's horrifying experiences. This tale isn't for the weak hearted or those whose sanity might be teetering. With a writing style and flare all his own, J. ...more
S.L. Saboviec
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-a-kobo-copy, 2013
Discoredia is the story of a rave gone awry, and I can’t decide what I think about it. While it’s well-imagined, it’s not well-executed. It’s visceral, but ugly. Pulse-pounding, but haphazard. I can’t decide if this book is what the author intended or if it’s something that got away from him.

First, I was distracted and dismayed at how grammatically error-ridden this book was: Misplaced commas, missing apostrophes, and incorrect homonyms (“heal” for “heel” is an easy one, guys). It distracted fro
Justin Robinson
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Discoredia really is a fascinating novel. While it is unfair to pin down a "best" part -- there's a lot of pretty great stuff in there -- two things really leaped out at me. The first is the use of British slang, lending the book a sense of authenticity that other works often try -- and fail -- to match. The second is the experimental structure which allows the world to unfold in one bizarre, bloody scene after another. I'm very excited to see what else Michael has on the horizon.
Kaitlin
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Great concept and story for 3/4 of the book but an empty rushed ending.
Gregory Boulware
Sep 05, 2016
Michael Jones
Apr 01, 2016
J.C. Michael
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-me