Start by marking “Hoke (A Fly-On-The-Wall Thriller, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hoke (A Fly-On-The-Wall Thriller, #1)

Hoke

(A Fly-On-The-Wall Thriller)

Settled into a life of power and influence, Hoke Brennan is one of the most respected men in the country. He's a good man who has it all.

Hoke also has a target on his back. For years, a team of deadly foreign operatives has been watching him, manipulating his circumstances to achieve their own goals.

Now they’re ready to set their plans in motion.

Hoke won’t see them c
Paperback, Out of Print, 320 pages
Published June 1st 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Hoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoke

Blue
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Thank you Goodreads giveaways for a free copy of this book!

Hoke is a well developed, exciting thriller. It has to do with politics and finance (I won't say more, upon request from the author by a note at the end of the book), and Braslau does a good job of educating the ignorants like me, while keeping those in the know still entertained. The plot is the sell for this book. It slowly picks up and snowballs into an exciting what-will-happen-next and what-will-he-decide-to-do in a steadily increas
Jenny Boyce
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
(Received a copy through Goodreads First Reads) This book was pretty enjoyable!

This story has an interesting plot - although the story starts out somewhat slowly, it quickly picks up speed. There are many twists and turns throughout the entire story, especially the ending (although I won't give anything away).

The characters are all likable and easy to relate to. The relationships between the characters all seem very realistic and it's easy to imagine them as real people. Even the antagonists in
Desiree
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, owned
I totally loved this book! Don't be fooled by the cover, the title or the beginning! It is definitely a Great read!!!! Unfortunately, the cover reminds me of something from the 1950's, but, this one is up-to-date! I won't give away the plot, but the story is very relevant to what is going on in the world today.... I was a little put off by the beginning as it was a little too "foodie" for me... But, once you get past that, which is basically an introduction to the main characters, it really pick ...more
Sean
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, I was a bit wary about reading a debut novel by someone I've never heard of as I'm usually fairly picky when choosing what to read. Overall, I was pretty well entertained and the quality of the writing is pretty solid - IMO better than a lot of books that end up being blockbusters like the Hunger Games series. Hoke starts out a bit slow but as you read on the plot starts to develop pretty nicely with some surprising twists. Definitely interested in reading the next installation.
Patricia Reding
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Readers’ Favorite (at ReadersFavorite.com).

At the author’s request, this review does not reveal the main character’s vocation or the story’s key plot points.

The thriller, Hoke, by Vivien Braslau, opens with Hoke and his lovely wife, Maria, who are visiting with Hoke’s best friend, Bobby, at Bobby’s estate. Hoke and Bobby have known one another since they were just boys, but ultimately the two made very different lives for themselves. While Bobby pursued riches and the power that go
David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

The author added the following note at the end of the book.

"The author requests that readers who post rpositive or negative reviews refrain from giving away the plot of the book so that readers can discover Hoke's profession, the many twists and turns and ending of the story."

I tried to come up with a review that would honor the author's wish. Unfortunately as soon as I started to say why I liked or disliked something, I felt i was giving soemthing away. Eith
Jourdan
Received this from Goodreads giveaway.

It is a well-written thriller with a good plot and characters that are fleshed out and relatable.

The beginning starts slow, but after you get a few chapters in, it begins to pick up speed (it can easily be read in a single sitting once you dive into it). The tension builds as you gradually learn about the characters, their fears, their moral code, etc.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars (although I could only give it three on here [Goodreads])
Brenda
I started reading this story in hopes of it getting better. And it grew a little but just never did take off and make a great story. It was an okay book but could have been better.

I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Sheila Read
Jun 08, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-won
he puts his family life into the book it will be interesting on what the book is about. I will be finishing this book when I get more time this is not my type of book so my family will read it.

I loved that the author autographed it directly to me. "For Sheila good reading Vivian Braslau."
Lance Gettler
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Good read
Jarod
Oct 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read 5 or 6 chapters and could not get into the story nor was I interested in the characters.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Liam
Judy
  • Sanctimonious Serial Killers
  • Run
  • Free Kindle Books
  • Script Kiddie (Assured Destruction, #2)
  • Twilight Tales: A Collection of Chilling Poems
  • The Girlfriend Experience
  • Necessary Decisions (Redemption #1)
  • HUTT
  • Vegas Was Her Name
  • Uptown
  • The Swiss Orange Project Book 1: Celladore
  • Killing Wall Street
  • Boring: Finding an Extraordinary God in an Ordinary Life
  • Stevie Tenderheart My Favorite Place to Be...a Coloring Book
  • Long Live the Suicide King
  • Save My Soul (Kemmons Brothers Baseball, #1)
  • Canton Elegy: A Father's Letter of Sacrifice, Survival, and Enduring Love
  • The Dead and the Beautiful (Nikki Harper Mysteries, #3)
VIVIEN BRASLAU grew up in South Texas and attended the University of Texas and Bard College. She has worked at a variety of jobs, including academic and political research, and spent time in New York and Washington, D.C. She lives and works in Austin, Texas.