Start by marking “Dragon Fire” as Want to Read:
Dragon Fire

Dragon Fire

Some choices are hard to live with.
But some choices will kill you.

When seventeen-year-old Anna first meets Rakan in her hometown north of the Arctic Circle, she is attracted to his pulsing energy. Unaware that he is a shapeshifting dragon, Anna is drawn into a murderous cycle of revenge that pits Rakan and his clan against her best friend June.

Torn between his forbidden
Published December 15th 2013 by Twilight Times Books (first published August 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Fire

Start your review of Dragon Fire
Patricia Eddy
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
Dina von Lowenkraft has crafted a truly epic adventure of dragons, humans, and beings of the light. There's a lot going on here, so grab your favorite beverage and try to keep up.

Rakan is a dragon. Dvara is his half sister. Anna is a human. June, Anna's friend, is suspected of being the ancient dragon that killed Dvara's father. Rakan's mother (the widowed dragon) vowed revenge. Raken's father is harboring a secret elicited by poison. There's this ruling council of dragons who are more than
Kitlina
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I was given a copy by the author for an honest review.*

What I loved most about this book is actually what I hated most. Isn't that conflicting?
The thing is this is such a new approach to dragon mythology that you can't identify with it, and yet you crave to know more. Ms. Lowenkraft has managed to make up a whole new world, with new laws of physics and a plethora of intricate plots and subplots. At times it was difficult to follow all the intrigue and that's what was confusing. The names didn't
Amanda
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book. There was not enough of it! I wanted more. I want more. I really look forward to reading a second one. I hope this turns into a long series.

The characters are wonderfully written. The world that the dragons come from is well developed with a good history. The story is engaging and really held my interest. I could not put this book down. Well, my phone on which I was reading it, anyway.

I feel that there is a lot more to learn about Anna and her father. I want to know what
Julie
Dragon Fire by Dina Von Lowenkkraft is a 2013 Twilight Times Books publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A brief synopsis:
"Some choices are hard to live with. But some choices will kill you."
Anna is attracted to Rakan unaware that he is a shapeshifting dragon. She doesn't know that Rakan and is clan are out to kill her best friend, June.
Rakan isn't supposed to be involved with Anna and of course he is conflicted about his duty to restore his family's
Heather McLaren
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Magic. Dragons. Unexpected romance. FIVE STARS!!!!!

I just finished reading Dragon Fire by Dina Von Lowenkraft and I recommend this book to EVERYONE! I loved the magical world she created for her dragons! And I never thought of traveling to Norway until now:) Rakan and Anna were my favorite characters. Their budding romance sizzled with unexpected innocence. I can't wait to read what Dina writes next... perhaps Dragon Fire 2? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Ekaterine
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Ms. von Lowenkraft!

I Am Sher-locked and I Am Sher-locked hard. I've been lasting after his voice for a while. But I haven't known true love until I went to see The Hobbit. Dragons have no right to be sexy, NONE!!! And yet there he was slithering on golden coins and promising damnation with that sinister voice. And yet there I was ready to tear my clothes off and have a little dragon babies named Benedict. I repeat, dragons have
Angel Leigh
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book amazed me. It's different and that's an understatement. Okay so starting with the cover. It's the first thing I saw and first impressions count. The girl is beautiful. The fire dragon in the background tells you that it's about dragons. I just love the cover, as you can see. It's very eye catching. And that's what you want in a cover. Dina and I are in a crit group together at Savvy Authors. So i got to read a little bit of this story earlier than most, back in the writing stage and ...more
Kathryn Svendsen
Dragon Fire is a unique book about dragons and their interactions with humans. Anna, a human, meets Rakan, a dragon in human form who is on a quest to destroy a long-time enemy of his mother’s.

Set above the Arctic Circle in Tromso, Norway and the wild steppes of Tibet, allow for some beautiful and uncommon visual scenic descriptions. Rich in descriptive langage, Dragon Fire is a beautiful book to visualize in the mind’s eye.

The dragons are not originally from earth, but from a red planet, of
Vonnie
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn into this book by the cover and its premise. I was allured by the idea of shape-shifting dragons. I wanted to know how these fantasy like creatures played a role in our present world. As I began to read this book, I realized that it was an interesting challenge.

The story itself was intriguing but it was very confusing. The reader was immediately thrust into this world without knowing what the terminology was or what was going on. I felt like I missed a whole book because I thrust
Lori
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Find this review and more at Lusty Penguin Reviews!

Debut young adult author, Dina von Lowenkraft entertains in Dragon Fire, a thrilling fantasy filled with mystery and suspense. Setting this story north of the Arctic Circle in Norway allows the author to build a unique world where humans, dragons, and Elythia are the norm.

Along with his half-sister Dvara, Rakan, a dragon, set off to the Arctic Circle, sent by their mother, Yarlung, to find and kill Jing Mei (aka June), another dragon. At the
Serenity
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy, YA, and some Dragons! Oh I do love a good dragon book now and then. This one did not disappoint! Good since I hold dragons books at a high point after reading Firelight Series.

Before I start, read the book carefully, there will be new words to describe dragons and what's going on, so just be ready.

This brought me a new view on Dragons that I really loved. Only thing is that I want this to be a series, not just a stand alone. Paliaq is a dragon that will soon be in danger. Rakan and
Mayra
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in the mysterious, alluring Arctic, Dragon Fire is a mesmerizing debut novel about a girl torn between the shape-shifting dragon she loves and the best friend she must stay loyal to.

When Rakan is sent to Tromso high school by his mother in order to restore their family’s honor and destroy their enemy dragon Jing Mei, he never thought his attraction to Anna, a human, would complicate matters. But, for one thing, Jing Mei — aka June — is none other than Anna’s best friend, and to make things
Sarah Martinson
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is an amazing book! Dragon Fire is s fast, intense read that will leave you longing for more.

In an effort to avenge their family, dragons Rakan and Dvara set off to find a dragon said to be hiding in the form of a human girl, June. What they found, however, was something no one could ever suspect. Rakan falls in love with Anna, June's best friend, and must choose between what his heart knows is right and what his family believes is best.

Rakan and Anna have a somewhat tumultuous
Katie
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I am so glad that I won this book. I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable and Von Lowenkraft presented a unique new view of dragons. The setting for the book was also very unique. I've read many books, but never one that takes place in north Norway in the fjords of Tromso. This beautiful setting definitely adds an interesting and beautiful element to the story. Von Lowenkraft's description of this area was magical and she managed to
T.D.
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled at first to get into this book. I found it so far removed from anything I have read about dragons in the past, that I had trouble with the concept. However, Dina Von Lowenkraft has built such an intricate magical world that it was difficult not to get sucked in.

Anna is a lovely character with a gentle nature that does not stop her from being a teenager and Rakan is the handsome, mysterious boy any girl would fall for. His integrity shows him to be far more worthy of Anna's affection
Jenna
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not just another Girl and Her Dragon story (although, I certainly could use a few more of those). Von Lowenkraft creates a fresh, compelling dragon lore involving a young romance set in intense and exotic locations.

The fjords of Tromso, Norway and the barren steppes of western Tibet would be interesting enough without the deep cast of well-rounded secondary characters to ground our lovers, the “ordinary human” Anna and the young dragon Rakan, in the domestic reality of teenage life.

MaykenAlanna
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dragon Fire pulled me in right away because of its exotic location - Tromso, in the far north of Norway. I looked it up on Wikipedia and my first reaction was "Why would anyone want to live there?" I hate the short daylight times of winter, and in Tromso there are months without a sunrise. Turned out that was an important plot point.
I like stories that are set in real-world places, and though I've never been to Tromso, it's easy to tell the author has spent a lot of time there. Her descriptions
Catherine
I gave this book 5 stars because I loved it from beginning to end. The authors Writing style, duel perspect . ive, grabbed me as soon as I started reading the and kept me hooked until I finished it.

The character and scene descriptions were so amazing that they made me fell that I was actually one of the characters in the story as well as that I am seeing the places that are being described.

I also very quickly became addicted to the love story between the main characters Anna & Raken (the
Beth
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dragon Fire takes place in far north Norway, a location which would feel exotic even if people weren't interacting with shape shifting dragons. The romance between the two main characters feels genuinely dangerous, adding a great blend of menace to the magic in the story. This is a fun read, and hard to put down once the danger really kicks up.
Crissi
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! This book had the perfect blend of reality mixed with fantasy, making the storyline riveting.
Donna
This was ok. It has tons of made up words and names that take a while to sort. Not my cup of tea.
Jaclyn
Like a comet that only comes around every 300 years, it is extremely rare that I do not like a book that has a rating over 3.9 and it's even rarer for me to finish a book I can not read. That being said since this was the first time I have R4R for a new YA and NA group here on Goodreads I wanted to play by the rules so I would have the opportunity to again be considered to do a read for review. That being said, in reality I would've marked this book DNF at 42% and moved on.

I did not connect to
Maghon Thomas
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First, I gotta say, for a debut, this is an excellent book! This is a book of dragons, but it’s not quite like anything I’ve ever read. I love all dragons, almost as much as my coveted werewolves. They have some of the best secondary and main characters I’ve read in a while. There’s excellent world building. There’s really good writing. This one is going to take you for a ride!

Anna is one of the main characters. She’s a teenage girl, who goes to high school, who lives in the arctic with her
Eustacia Tan
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the last time I read a dragon-themed book would be the Starlighter series (link leads to the first book in the series). While Dragon Fire is nothing alike Starlighter, it's a very interesting first book to what seems to be an interesting series.

To me, the main characters of this book are Pemba/Rakan (the dragon) and his love interest Anna (a human who's isn't that ordinary). Pemba is on earth to kill a dragon named Paliaq (check sp), who may or may not be Anna's good friend June. So half
Patti
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC by the author - but this has no effect on my review.

Where to start with this book. Loved the world building. First, it is set in the Norwegian Arctic circle, with fjords and Northern Lights and lots of cold nights. Made me want to cuddle deeper into my couch and read.

Second - DRAGONS! I love dragons ever since I was a child. And the great thing about this world, is the author brought in Asian customs into the whole dragon lore which doesn't happen all that much in western YA.
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
In Dragon Fire by Dina von Lowenkraft, Anna meets Rakan and is immediately drawn to him for reasons she can’t quite explain herself. What she doesn’t know is that he is a shapeshifting dragon. Rakan is also instantly attracted to Anna, but he tries to keep his distance because he is forbidden from getting involved with a human; however, he can’t stop himself from falling for her. To make matters worse, Rakan has vowed to seek revenge and kill the one his family has been determined to find and ...more
Carrie
I received this book for free in return for an honest review.

Dina Von Lowenkraft created an entirely new world for dragons in which dragons are shape-shifters from a different planet in which they call the "Red Planet" but plan to mate and create a new life on Earth.

I like this story because it is unique and because it's about dragons. And that's really about it. I really wanted to love everything about this novel but I just couldn't. A few problems I had with the story are:

#1- The names. Kudos
Sheri
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Drawn to this book by the promise of dragon shifters, I was delighted when the story was as unique and interesting as the description suggested. Dragon shifters Rakan and Dvara are sent to hunt down and kill a rival dragon to get vengeance for their family. Things become complicated when feelings get in the way, and Rakan becomes torn between his family and his heart.

The author was able to provide us with a complex story with complex characters. Anna was an interesting character. She seemed very
Sweets Books

The story is about two siblings Dvara and Rakan being sent to earth by Rakan’s mother to kill the dragon who ripped apart their home planet. The children have been left in the dark about all the true events and information and brought up to believe Paaliaq rained the chances of dragons mating by destroying the planets. Unfortunately it was a lie. After meeting Anna, Rakan found out that what he was brought up on was a lie or manipulated in her favor so she had them to do her bidding. Anna, Lysa,
Beth Santucci
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 cupcakes
This book was gifted to me by Sweets Books and Dina von Lowenkraft.
Never Too Old For...: Read 4 Review # 118 - Dragon Fire (Closed) 31 84 Feb 06, 2014 05:38PM
Goodreads Authors...: Dragon Fire just released! 1 3 Aug 06, 2013 10:58AM

• Watch Your Back
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration
  • The Seven Chinese Brothers
  • The Shy Girl and the Football Star (The Sunday Lunchers Book 1)
  • Falling
  • A Proper Scandal
  • Checking Out
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • Tamed & Unleashed: The Highlander's Vivacious Wife (Love's Second Chance #13)
Born in the US, Dina von Lowenkraft has lived on 4 continents, worked as a graphic artist for television and as a consultant in the fashion industry. Somewhere between New York and Paris she picked up an MBA and a black belt – and still thinks the two are connected. Dina is currently the Regional Advisor for SCBWI Belgium, where she lives with her husband, two children and three horses.

Dina loves