Start by marking “Wake” as Want to Read:
Wake

Wake

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  3,865 Ratings  ·  715 Reviews
Five Days in November, 1920:
As the body of the Unknown Soldier makes its way home from the fields of Northern France, three women are dealing with loss in their own way: Hettie, who dances for sixpence a waltz at the Hammersmith Palais; Evelyn, who toils at a job in the pensions office, and Ada, a housewife who is beset by visions of her dead son. One day a young man comes
Published January 16th 2014 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Wake, please sign up.
Noël I read the paper copy. It flowed beautifully for me. It is possible it would have seemed disjointed on an ereader. I have trouble engaging in more…moreI read the paper copy. It flowed beautifully for me. It is possible it would have seemed disjointed on an ereader. I have trouble engaging in more serious books on my ereader.
I borrowed the book from my public library. They had to do a consortium loan (like an inter-library loan) but I am going to recommend it for our collection. (less)

Elyse
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post WWI. Two years after the Armistice.
We are told three separate stories that brings us to the end story of "The Unknown Soldier", ( a soldier coming from France)
The first three stories center around three English women, ( Hettie, Evelyn, and Ada), who are grieving and traumatized... for the men they love (son, lover, brother), dealing with their aftermath since returning home....or not returning home at all.

Well researched- well written - a look at how women's lives are changed forever
when
Diane S ☔
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Throughout a period of five days, as the unknown soldier makes its way to Westminster, we follow the lives of three women who have been affected by the war. Ava, my favorite, a mother who struggles with guilt over the death of her son in the war and wants only a body to bury, to know the why and where. Evelyn, who lost her fiancé in the war and also has a brother who was an officer and has returned, but is not the same. Evelyn has become an embittered woma
Erin
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why can't he just move on? Not just him. All of them. All of the ex-soldiers, standing, begging in the street, boards tied around their necks. All of them reminding you of something that you want to forget. It went on long enough. She grew up under it, like a great squatting thing, leaching all the color and joy from life.
The war's over. Why can't all of them just bloody well move on?

Oh my heart! Once I started this well researched account of a post WWI historical, I was glued to the couch. An
Dem
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of Historical Fiction
Recommended to Dem by: Book Club Read - Feb
Wake by Anna Hope.

On completion of this novel by Anna Hope I came to realise what a wonderful title WAKE really is and what it means to the story.

Wake / Werk
1) Emerge or cause to emerge from sleep
2) Ritual for the dead
3) Consequence or Aftermath

This novel is the story of three women in London in November 1920 coping and living in the aftermath of war as the city awaits the arrival of the unknown Soldier from France to his final resting place.
This is a quiet book but tells a very emotional and
Sue
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction readers
When I read a book on a kindle and keep trying to turn for the next page not realising/accepting that it has ended, I truly know that I have been swept up in the writing and the characters. Wake has been that type of book for me.

Wake is the story of women and men left with emotional, personal loss after WWI and takes place during the few days leading up to the planned internment of the Unknown Soldier in London on the 2 year anniversary of the Great War armistice. The city is full of unemployed
☮Karen
1920 London, when they have decided to bring home from France an Unknown Soldier to honor on Armistice Day. The three female characters all have their own losses and stories to tell about England’s participation in World War One France and their own paths to recovery. Evelyn’s brother Ed came home, not with any obvious physical changes, but changed nonetheless. She can’t understand why they are not as close as they once were, but then she has turned bitter and hateful also from her personal expe ...more
Cleo Bannister
For those who fought in World War I there were two likely outcomes: they would die or they would be damaged, for the women who loved them life was less certain.

Anna Hope has written a beautiful book following the five days prior to the internment of The Unknown Warrior at the Cenotaph. Each chapter is a day and each of those days follows the journey of the coffin from France to Britain for the ceremony.

The depth of descriptions of each the lives of the three women featured is outstanding, Ada, 4
Erin
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I wont lie, when I finished Anna Hope's Wake, I was just happy to be done with it. The frequent shifts between characters and the emotional drama of their individual stories left me mentally exhausted. In point of fact I set my review aside, determined to clear my head before trying to compose my thoughts because I was so put out with my reading. Thing is, the longer I let it sit, the more I seemed to appreciate it.

On the s
Anne
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have no doubt that Wake is going to be included in my Top Ten books of 2014, I know that it's only January, but this is a book that has had a huge effect on me. The writing is sublime, but the story is one of horror and shame, and of ordinary people whose lives were left devastated by what was supposed to be 'the war to end all wars.'

Told over just five days and ending on Armistice Day - November 11 1920, Wake is a portrait of the lives of three women; Hettie, Evelyn and Ada. Each of these wom
Misfit
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-vine
"Wake: 1) Emerge or cause to emerge from sleep 2) Ritual for the dead 3) Consequence or aftermath."

The basics: it's 1920 and focuses on the lives of three women impacted by The Great War and the preparations for the burial of the Unknown Soldier. I think the book blurb and other reviews cover the individual stories enough, and I don't care to rehash it again. Besides, 24 hours after finishing it, I feel like I'm the one who has wakened from a dream and their stories are fading as quick as any dr
Liz Barnsley
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming January 2014 from Randomhouse/ Transworld

Thank you kindly to the author and publisher for the unexpected pleasure of a copy of this book in the post.

The lives of three women are braided together, their stories gathering tremendous power as the ties that bind them become clear, and the body of the unknown soldier moves closer and closer to its final resting place.

Right well the first thing to s
Patrice Hoffman
Anna Hope's Wake is a touching and moving account of the affects of war on men and women alike. The book opens by defining what the word wake means:
(1) Emerge or cause to emerge from sleep
(2) Ritual for the dead
(3) Consequence or aftermath

Each definition can be used in one way or another to describe the characters Ada, Evelyn, and Hattie as we watch their stories unfold as the unidentified body of a World War I soldier is brought home to be buried. It is the two-year anniversary of Armistice Day
Mmars
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: possible-bc
Not sure if there’s another book out there that tells the story of the women of WWI as well as this one does. Of course, the horrors and the trenches and the atrocities have been covered. Perhaps never before in its reality by a female writer. It was a horrid, horrid war. One that will, hopefully, never happen again. This is about the women living in post-war Britain. They’ve lost sons, brothers, and loves to the war. Dead or alive they are not the men and boys they saw go marching off. They are ...more
Diane Barnes
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-one
The setting is the 5 days before the burial of the unknown warrior in London in 1920, 2 years after the war ends. Hettie is a 19 year old dancer for hire who is hoping the future will find her. Evelyn is a 30 year old whose fiance was killed in the war, and her bitterness is eating her alive. Ada's son was killed in 1917, and she sees his ghost around every corner. Each of these women share a bond that they are not aware of as they try to find some sort of hope and ability to move beyond the gri ...more
Léa
Un très beau roman qui retrace la vie de trois femmes anglaises, toutes touchées par la première guerre mondiale, durant les cinq jours précédant l'arrivée du Soldat Inconnu sur le sol britannique.
Anna Hope donne superbement vie à ses personnages touchés par la guerre, tentant de continuer à vivre malgré la douleur. L'histoire est prenante et les pages défilent sans que l'on s'en rende compte. Et plus ça va, plus c'est émouvant. J'ai versé ma petite larme à la lecture d'un chapitre où l'auteure
prettybooks
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20/20

Le chagrin des vivants c’est la difficile reconstruction de tout un pays, de tout un peuple. C’est les ravages de la guerre dans tous les foyers, dans tous les coeurs. C’est les étapes progressives par lesquelles chacun va passer pour petit à petit retourner à la vie, sans jamais oublier, sans avoir bien souvent de réponse, mais en acceptant malgré tout que la vie continue. Un roman sublime.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Jess
(How could I resist a novel written by the actress who played Dr Who's Novice Hame?!)

I wanted to love this. I really, really did. It had so much going for it: the writing is charming in its simplicity, the connectivity is clever and, for the most part, appropriate. It’s clearly been well researched and the choice of title is perfect - but don't fret, I'll save you the torment of rattling off the three definitions of 'wake' since 90% of reviews have been there, done that and gotten the T-shirt.

Es
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read, but a very depressing and heavy book overall. If you need a "pick me up" this may not be the book to read at that particular time. However, I recommend maybe when the days have more sunshine than dark.
Laurie Notaro
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, wonderful riveting read. Why this book wasn't on the lips of everyone the year it came out is beyond me. How do such amazing books get lost? A compelling, emotional narrative about three women grappling with grief and change after WWI. Gorgeously written, I will read anything by this author from now on. Really impressive. I COMMAND YOU TO READ IT!
Emily Shelton
Wake by Anna Hope is a novel set in the aftermath of World War I, intertwining the stories of three women who were affected by the war: Hettie, Evelyn, and Ada. All three women had men in their lives who were either killed, injured or emotionally affected by the war. As they all attempt to move on with their lives, it is obvious that though the war may be over, its effects will last for a very long time.

There were moments when I thought this could be a really good novel. At times, pieces of each
Anne
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedside-table
When Alison Barrow at Transworld offered an advance reading copy of (and I quote) “the debut I am most excited about for 2014”, I got all excited too – how could I resist?

I devoured Wake – by former actress Anna Hope – in one glorious sitting. I loved the strapline on the cover of my version – “a novel of loss and longing and learning to dance again” (who wouldn’t be drawn in by that?). I’m delighted to tell you that I absolutely loved it. The writing is effortless, and the reading equally so: t

I received this book as a digital ARC from the publisher through Net Galley in return for an honest review.

Title: Wake

Author: Anna Hope

Hardcover: 304 pages

Pub Date: February 11th, 2014

Publisher: Random House

NetGalley kindly sent this uncorrected proof of this book. Thank you so much.

"Wake" is a multilayered story of three women, Hettie - a dance instructress at the Palais, Evelyn, who works at the Pensions Exchange and Ada who is trying to find her son alive after the end of the Great War.

In

Wanda
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWI fiction fans
Shelves: 2013
25 OCT 2013 --Whee for me! I won this here on GRAmazon. I am so excited and grateful. A very nice letter came with the book from Erika Greber of the Marketing Department, The Random House Publishing Group. She hopes I enjoy the book as much as she did. Well, you know what? I hope I enjoy it more. This is my sort of book -- a post-WWI novel telling the life stories of three women and how the war changed their lives. Happy, Happy, Happy Me!

2 NOV 2013 -- Review under Thoughtful Construction. 3 star
Jane
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My attention was caught, first by a beautiful cover, and then by a title that appeared simple, but was actually full of meaning. ‘Wake’ is a word that speaks of both beginnings and endings; of the very first moment of a new day, and of the final ritual at the end of a life. It suits Anna Hope’s first novel, a compelling account of lives that had been changed by the Great War, so very well.

‘Wake’ tells the story of three women’s lives over the course of five days in November 1920. And it sets the
Zoe
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply moving and powerful!

Full review to follow shortly!
Nina
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nema ovde šta mnogo da se priča. Još jedan roman koji slikovito oživljava beznađe nakon rata iz ženske perspektive. Za sve koji vole "Iskupljenje" i "Testament mladosti" i vole generalno da muče sebe ovakvim pričama. 💔
Clarabel
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwi, vintage
J'ai aimé l'atmosphère d'après-guerre, la préciosité des personnages, la description des sentiments, la démonstration des vies brisées et le cheminement à conduire son deuil.
Le style est impeccable, le ton juste, la note pure, avec une touche finale pleine d'espérance.
Un roman remarquable, à la fois poignant et transcendant.
Caroline Scott
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the last twelve months I've read several novels about the First World War that have left me feeling a bit short-changed and cynical - writing that’s like painting by numbers, lacking in energy, originality and effort to observe. So much that’s all the same… so much that’s cheaply sentimental… so much that’s (dare I say it?) cashing in on the centenary? How nice then (pop goes my cynicism) to find a writer who brings this era off the page with freshness and observes from interesting angles. ...more
Erika Robuck
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a rare thing when I read a three hundred page novel in two sittings, but I did so for WAKE.

The story is a bit difficult to grasp at first; it introduces three women who are strangers, each living in the wake of WWI, bearing their losses, their shell shock, their injuries to body and soul as the thousands of others in London do. But as the novel progresses, the circles of the women begin to overlap and to intersect in startling ways, drawing ever closer to a dramatic and perfect conclusion.
Camie
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
I read a review of this book that said something like this - For the men of WW1 there were two choices ; to die or to be damaged.... for the women at home the future was much less certain. This is a beautiful book written about a period of five days in London 1920, 2 years after the Armistice , as the body of the Unknown Soldier ,which has been exhumed , is moved from France to London for the interment . A ceremony which is intended to somehow diminish the suffering of those who mourn their deva ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 29, 2015 08:18AM
  • The Secret of Raven Point
  • Where They Bury You
  • The Lie
  • Thanksgiving
  • Rogue (The Beloved, #2)
  • The First of July
  • The Cartographer of No Man's Land
  • Ghostwritten
  • The Crimson Ribbon
  • Fear: A Novel of World War I
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • What Matters Most (Memory House Collection)
  • Not So Quiet...
  • The Widows of Braxton County
  • The Roses of No Man's Land
  • The Tilted World
  • The Heroes' Welcome (My Dear I Wanted to Tell You #2)
  • Toby's Room (Life Class, #2)
Anna Hope is an English writer and actress from Manchester. She is perhaps best known for her Doctor Who role of Novice Hame. She was educated at Wadham College, Oxford, The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, and Birkbeck College, London.

Anna's powerful first novel, WAKE, sold to Transworld Publishers in a seven-way auction. Set over the course of five days in 1920, WAKE weaves the stories of
More about Anna Hope

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“And whatever anyone thinks or says, England didn't win this war. And Germany wouldn't have won it, either."

"What do you mean?"

"War wins." He says. "And it keeps winning, over and over again.”
24 likes
“I'll remember you, he thinks, and as the gun carriage, with its coffin and its dented helmet pass him by, he closes his eyes.

Nothing will bring them back. Not the words of comfortable men. Not the words of politicians. Or the platitudes of paid poets.”
7 likes