Start by marking “Forever, Erma” as Want to Read:
Forever, Erma

Forever, Erma

An anthology of Erma Bombeck’s best writing, and a tribute to one of America’s sharpest wits

When she began writing her regular newspaper column in 1965, Erma Bombeck’s goal was to make housewives laugh. Thirty years later, she had published more than four thousand columns, and earned countless laughs—from housewives, presidents, and everyone in between. With grace, good hu
Published January 15th 2013 by Open Road Media (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Forever, Erma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever, Erma

Monnie
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waxing nostalgic usually isn't my thing. If nothing else, when you're as old as I am, the past stretches back so far that details become a little muddled - so why bother? But when I saw this book on sale at Amazon, the memories really did come flooding back and I snapped it up. Besides getting a good deal, I needed a dose of comic relief from the psychological thrillers and grisly murder books that are my standard fare and figured this one would provide it. And I was right.

For those who don't kn
Alyce Wilson
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite humorists of all time, Erma Bombeck ruled the newspaper pages, inspiring and amusing readers with her entertaining observations about the nature of motherhood. "Forever, Erma" was a labor of love: a posthumous collection featuring the most loved Bombeck columns, as well as a smattering of lesser known pieces and a chapter of tributes from colleagues, friends and family. For those unfamiliar with Bombeck's work, it's a good introduction. For those, like myself, who have loved h ...more
Jemidar
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it

Not quite my thing but that's okay because I don't particularly think I'm the intended audience for this. It's more of a tribute for fans which I'm really not. I only picked it up because I vaguely remembered reading one of her books back in the 1980s and I thought I'd liked it.
Gina Boyd
Erma Bombeck died in 1996, when I was in London, and I cried when I heard the clipped radio voice announce it. I was 11 or 12 when I somehow came across If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What am I Doing in the Pits? and The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank, and I adored them. I read and reread them, lying on the floor of my bedroom with my feet wedged over the register, wrapped in a blanket that ballooned out as the forced air heat blasted me and turned made my hair stick up from static ...more
Alan Cook
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erma Bombeck needs no introduction to people of a certain age. Her sense of humor brightened the days of millions of housewives and other people as well. This book reprints some of her best columns.
At the back of the book there are many quotations from celebrities and others telling how great she was, so I won't attempt to top them. Erma died of kidney disease and much is made of the fact that she didn't try to jump the line to get a kidney transplant. This is admirable, but if the antiquated m
Ankur
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Erma Brombeck or her syndicated column "At Wit's End". I purchased this e-book cheap as it was the deal of the day on one of the e-book sites I frequent. I'm glad I got to read this book, a collection of her "humour" columns from the 1960s to 1996. While I had trouble relating to some of them (she wrote a lot about her life as a suburban housewife and raising kids, two experiences I don't have to endure), some of her writings had me howling with laughter. Reading the last se ...more
Mary L.
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Erma and this was a book full of her newspaper articles. Some of my very favorites were in there. One of my favorite things about her was that she was never mean in her humor. If you want something to pick up and read just a little and get a great big smile on your face this is it.
Mommywest
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed my head off while reading this book, but I also found myself in tears. Erma Bombeck was one of my mom's favorite columnists, and I loved reading the Erma column in Good Housekeeping when my mother was done with it. Even though I didn't totally understand it then, I still thought she was pretty funny. Now, as a mother, I truly appreciate the things she wrote about--all from the perspective of a mother and housewife, something you usually only find in blogs today.

The book is filled with
Shari Larsen
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erma Bombeck was an American humorist, popular for her newspaper column At Wit's End, which depicted suburban home and family life humorously, from 1965 until a few weeks before her death in 1996.

This is a collection of her most popular and best loved columns. She was great at finding humor in the ordinary; and she was never mean or hurtful. She showed women that you don't have to perfect to be a great mother.

I was a child in the 70's; I grew up reading her columns, and even though most were abo
Donna Davis
Maybe it's a generational thing. If as I did, you grew up reading Erma Bombeck's columns in the newspaper and laughed until your sides hurt, this volume, which has the strangely combined feature of being a memorial edition and humor also, will need a place of pride on your shelves.

Like a few other really wonderful writers, Bombeck's letters were successful not only because they resonated with many people--not only mothers, but children, fathers, and not only members of the middle class (never lo
Ally
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, my mother was a devout Erma fan. She religiously read the columns and had all her books. I thought of it as, 'mom stuff' and never ventured a glance. Later, I would see Erma on talk shows and found her very amusing and realized my mother might have had a sense of humor, and this 'mom stuff' might have actually funny. Of course it was, and it was lost on me until I became a mother myself.

My mom has been gone 20 years now (way too young, both of us) and I'm always searching for ways to
Kelli Di
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a trailing spouse and a stay-at-home mom, I so love Erma. I wish she were alive and I wish she were my neighbor. She makes the mundane hilarious. She was a kind heart with a very quick wit. I get very caught up in my life and think that "NO ONE has ever gone through what I am going through." but her articles from the late 60's completely encompass what I am feeling in 2011...my kids are weird, my husband IS the Prince of Darkness, and I'm NOT going insane, I'm just in the middle of life.
Jackie
Many of you may be too young to remember Erma Bombeck. However, I found most of her parenting observations to hold just as humorously true today as they did 50 years ago. (I mean anyone who has taught a teenager to drive can appreciate the "imaginary brake".) The essay on mothers of handicapped children (The Special Mother) is worth the price of this book alone.
Mari
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book en route to Wichita Falls, TX, Target on New Year's Eve with my mom and sister. The end section with tributes to Erma was touching. I think all bloggers should read Erma, because she was doing it right before the format was even invented!
Anne Marie
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
like sitting down with an old friend and remembering or laughing about the realities of daily life. I can read this over and over.
Tania
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you celebrate a legend? In this collection of columns put together after the untimely death of Erma Bombeck, following a long illness, you get a real feel for the public persona of this larger than life woman. In the final chapter, which is a collection of memorial pieces from the people who knew the real Erma, you will begin to know the down-to-earth woman who sounds like just the sort of woman who can make us laugh at ourselves and the everyday situations we face. The book itself is div ...more
Bobbi
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Still relevent

I wonder if my mother read her book’s. I was a teenager in the 1960s when Ms Bombeck was writing her columns and becoming the headliner on American refrigerators. I became a mother in the 1980s when she was writing her books. I read them all. My husband and I were taking care of our daughter and struggling through the economy of the times. We both had jobs outside the home. Humour was a big part of getting us through those times and Ms Bombeck was a contributor to that humour. More
Marbeth Skwarczynski
I started reading Erma Bombeck's books when I was in high school. I didn't always get her political and pop-culture refrences, but I got her tone, her humor, and her genuineness and I would laugh out loud.
When I started reading Forever, Erma I immediately reconnected with those old feelings. Reading this compilation of her newspaper articles, made me smile, then chuckle, and finally throw back my head and laugh without restraint. And then, because it's Erma Bombeck, I cried. Not the gentle welli
Deborah
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erma Bombeck was one of a kind and is dearly missed.

Before the age of blogs and websites, Erma's syndicated column could be found in newspapers and on refrigerators across the country.

Her essays touched on so many topics that could be identified with most families, especially mothers. This book is a compilation of some of those literary gems, grouped in chapters of topics ranging from missing socks in the laundry to the junk drawer.

Erma was a wonderful woman who passed way too soon. We are luck
Jeanie
I wish I had 10 stars to give this book. it is a collection of the best of Erma Bombeck's weekly humorist newspaper columns that ran in the 60-90's. Erma was a hysterical gem in writing about the Everyday Life of Typical Housewives and Mothers of the day and their daily travails. I laughed so hard and long that I cried. Put the book down to calm down my dogs, came back and did it again.
Jocelyn Doddridge
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to a few seniors up at a nursing home, and although her columns were written in the 70s and 80s, they are still very relatable to me as a mother today. They are fun and easy to read, and we all enjoyed them so much that we ordered another one of her books to begin reading next week.
Barbara
When I was younger, I was an avid reader of Erma Bombeck. The opportunity to take a trip through memory lane was appealing but the reality left me feeling like the good old days weren't so good after all. This was a book of contrasts; half was dated and the other half was hilariously funny.
Atlantis
I recommend this for all housewives feeling blue. If you need a giggle about relatable life, Erma Bombeck is the woman to read. Great collection of her columns- tributes and photos at the end were nice too.
Lisa
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

My mother was a big fan of Erma's and she also is deceased. I read each column imagining my mother reading it in the Fort Wayne News Sentinel. I feel as though this book allowed me to spend time with my Mom.
Kimberly
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of some of the most popular Bombeck columns. There is also a collection of writings after her death from her family and friends. The columns are often funny and some make you cry like a baby. All are about family and friends.
Andrea Engle
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2017
Delightfully dated ... a collection of newspaper columns from a popular, 20th-century humorist, Erma Bombeck ... gives an insight into the pitfalls and pratt-falls of the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's ... enjoyable, and somewhat nostalgic ...
LeeAnn Ellis Wisdom
The is a best of Erma Bombeck. I've loved her since I was a kid and really liked this compilation.
Heather J.
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. A bit outdated because of life ore cell phone, etc. But still rather cute and gave me many laughs as well as a few tears.
Carla
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A connection of erma bombecks columns, these made me laugh and chuckle and think we could have been great friends. Great comic insight into parenting
Delena constant
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Forever loved

Such a gracious fun Lady who wrote for America Woman!
Very special enjoyed the read. Get ready to laugh and love Erma
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs
  • West of Last Chance
  • Touchpoints 3 to 6
  • Random Acts of Kindness
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers
  • It Takes a Village Idiot: A Memoir of Life After the City
  • On Language
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • Far As Human Eye Could See
  • Elvis is Dead And I Don't Feel So Good Myself
  • Mr. Trump's Wild Ride: The Thrills, Chills, Screams, and Occasional Blackouts of an Extraordinary Presidency
  • Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: A Contrarian's Guide to Diet, Exercise, and What Actually Works
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada
“I've exercised with women so thin, buzzards followed them to their cars.” 27 likes
“Enter my first neighbor - a woman who spoke in complete, coherent sentences, who ate with a knife and fork and who only cried at weddings. I couldn't help myself. In a dramatic gesture, I bolted the door and threw my body across it to prevent her exit. She understood.” 19 likes