Start by marking “A Dream Defiant” as Want to Read:
A Dream Defiant

A Dream Defiant

(Freedom to Love 0.5)

Spain, 1813

Elijah Cameron, the son of runaway slaves, has spent his whole life in the British army proving that a black man can be as good a soldier as a white man. After a victory over the French, Elijah promises one of his dying men that he will deliver a scavenged ruby necklace to his wife, Rose, a woman Elijah has admired for years.

Elijah feels bound to protect her and
Published July 29th 2013 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dream Defiant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dream Defiant

Jill
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

In Spain, 1813 Elijah Cameron agrees to a dying man's wish. To bring the ruby necklace the man collected from the enemy as his reward in the battle against the French, to his widow. Elijah, though only a corporal in the British army is a trusted and honoured man.

Despite the wealth that the necklace will bring, Rose Merrifield's life in the camps now as a widow, brings certain dangers. It doesn't take long for Rose to attract the attention of the men in the camp not only as one of the few availa
K.J. Charles
I really liked this Regency novella. It's so rare to see POC in UK set historical romance, which is an absurdity. This was a great story with really powerful detail of life as a camp follower and a very appealing hero and heroine. I'd have liked it to be longer. More please!
Dorothea
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'd like to start by saying that I've read and loved Susanna Fraser's novels: in publication order, The Sergeant's Lady , A Marriage of Inconvenience , and An Infamous Marriage . She's one of my favorite new romance authors.

Even so, I probably shouldn't have read A Dream Defiant, a novella, because I almost never enjoy romances that are shorter than novel-length. I think this is because romances are so character-driven. Shorter forms are better for clever plot ideas than for establishing char
Jen Davis
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
I came into this book excited about the premise. Elijah is a black soldier in the British army of 1813. Rose was the wife of one of his fellow soldiers. But her husband died fighting over a ruby necklace that he found while looting. Before he took his last breath, he gave the jewels to Elijah, making him promise to get the jewels to his wife.

Elijah keeps his word, bringing the necklace to Rose. But between her beauty and the worth of the rubies, she will need protection from the other s
Vivi Dumas
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Reviewer: Vivi at www.romancewithflavor.com

Review Source: NetGalley

3 stilettos

A Dream Defiant is an interracial historical romance, the main reason I chose this book. Elijah Cameron is the son of runaway slaves, who worked his way up the command of the British Army or as far up as a black man could go at the time. He has the unique situation of being a black man with options in a time many were slaves. He came from an educated background, but went against his family's wishes and joined the mili
Tara Chevrestt
I appreciate this story. I love reading about couples jumping over that silly color barrier, especially in historical times when it was so not accepted. Courage and love can overcome.

You have a former slave, now British army man trying to get his troops together after a harsh battle. When one of his men dies obtaining a necklace for his wife, Elijah not only delivers the bad new to the new widow, but also the necklace. This puts a price on a the lady's head and she marries Elijah to protect hers
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: B

He caught her hand. “Wait.” He slid his hands to the back of her neck, fumbling for the necklace’s clasp. He undid it and held the chain of rubies up, red and gold in the flickering candlelight. “No shackles for us,” he said, “no matter how rich.”

Loved the characters and premise, and Fraser managed to get a lot of emotion into less than 100 pages. But this story deserves more than a novella to avoid the rushed romance and resolution.
SuperWendy
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I rather liked this. Something about the author's voice and style really clicked with me.

This is a novella, and there is enough conflict that it could have been a full novel, but it worked fairly well for me in the shorter format. That said, the courtship moved very fast, and there were elements towards the end that felt a little rushed. It wasn't a perfect read for me, but it was very engaging, and just what the doctor ordered after a string of "ho-hum" reads.
Tanya
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't realize it was a novella. Bought it several years ago after a good review at a romance web site.
Really tough to finish; way too short.
Katherine
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kind of shallow. The title writes cheques the text can't cash but pleasant enough
Mary Gramlich
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Is fulfilling my dream something we both must want?

Elijah was a proud man of color that fought side-by-side with soldiers to defeat the French. His troops were respectful and accepting of his rank and stature based on his ability to lead. When one of the men under his direction is killed during battle, Elijah is the one to step up and offer the man's widow the possibility of marriage. This arrangement is acceptable to everyone, as it will keep Rose safe from the men that look to take advantage
Becky
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, novella
Full review on my blog, Becky on Books.

I thought this story was very well done. It was amazing to me that Rose would need to consider marrying again so soon after her husband’s death, but given the circumstances it’s absolutely understandable. I enjoyed watching her relationship with Elijah grow from mutual respect to friendship to something more. It was very sweet and believable, though of course not without issues, both from within and on the outside.

My only real complaint with this story is t
Skye Kilaen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I wished it had been a full-length novel to give some events more breathing room, I really enjoyed this interracial M/F novella set during the Napoleonic wars, specifically in 1813 Spain in a British Army camp. Elijah Cameron is the black son of runaway slaves who has worked his way up in the Army as best he can given racial prejudice. Rose Merrifield is widowed suddenly, and must re-marry immediately if she wishes to stay safe, since there's a (true) rumor that her dead husband left her ...more
Cleffairy Cleffairy
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Looking for a quick, historical romance with a difference? Well, you might as well pick up ‘A Dream Defiant’ by Susanna Fraser. Unlike most historical romance that are long winded, A Dream Defiant is surprisingly short, sweet and emotional.There’s unlikely hero and heroine in this book so you’ll be in for plenty of surprises.

Packed with sensual and emotional romance, you’re guaranteed to be spellbound with this book. If you’re a big fan of historical romance, you might want to pick up this book.
Michelle Athy
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-challenge
Wanted this to be longer! I like the characters, the setting, the ideas explored. I wish more Regency-set novels had similar, outside-of-the-box-type ideas. But because it was short, novella length, there were issues that were solved too well and too quickly. I wanted to read more of Elijah and Rose's struggles and how they overcome them, like in any other romance novel. Still, though, I definitely appreciated even the little bit of a thing this was.
Rose Lerner
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this story! A Peninsular War novella about a white soldier's widow who has no choice but to remarry immediately for her own safety, and the black NCO who offers to protect her and her (adorable) son. The military setting is incredible, and I really connected with the hero and heroine--two people who've always had to choose practicality over dreams...UNTIL NOW. One of my favorite tropes!
Kelly
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed many things about this novella. It is very well researched but the narrative feels fresh, and the characters and premise are interesting but believable. The epilogue, though, was a little bit like the scouring of the Shire... a bit too much story continuing after the natural climax of the book and careening right into anticlimax territory. Other than that, I thought it was great.
Portia
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is not your typical interracial historical. It was so romantic. Well, maybe not when she asked him to marry her, or the fact that the book starts with her husband dying. But, that aside, this is a story of friends who become lovers. Very sweet.
Las
Too short for the plot. So much potential conflict was skipped over.
Dena
Jul 11, 2013
Christine
Jul 31, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 29, 2015 12:04PM

Freedom to Love (1 books)
  • Freedom to Love
“He slid his hands to the back of her neck, fumbling for the necklace’s clasp. He undid it and held the chain of rubies up, red and gold in the flickering candlelight. “No shackles for us,” he said, “no matter how rich.” 0 likes