Start by marking “Flight Explorer, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Flight Explorer, Volume 1

Flight Explorer, Volume 1

The first volume in a new series presents an anthology of comics and graphic short stories that revolve around the theme of flight, including works by noted comic book and graphic novel creators, top animators working at Pixar and other major studios, and new Web cartoonists, including Kean Soo and Kazu Kibuishi.
Published March 25th 2008 by Villard Books

Lata
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Has some good stories, and some okay stories. Liked the story with the cat balloonist.
Cara's Craftsations
Wooden Rivers: Rain Slickers by Rad Sechrist
Delivery by Bannister
Snow Cup: 2nd Verse by Matthew Armstrong
Shannon
This reminded me of Explorer: The Mystery Boxes but for younger readers, although I suppose the point is to make this more like the Flight series, but for kids, but I haven't gotten to any of the Flight books yet so can't compare them myself.

I was already familiar with a number of the authors and artists but a few were unknowns that I'll now be looking for more of. Not the most consistent in terms of quality, and some of the stories were incredibly short, to the point where there wasn't even a
Sharon
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, kids, readaloud
As with any anthology, there was stuff that was great and stuff that was more trivial. It was all gorgeous, and I think the weakest pieces were the very short, one-gag bits. Some of them were lovely in a way that might work better for adults than for kids.

But the book has a Zita story in it, as well as a Kibuishi short (which is darling) and a couple of other things that were really pleasing. Slight, but worth my time.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is Kibuishi's MG version of his flight series. I found it to be fun, quirky, and something that 9 & 10 year olds will really enjoy. Looking forward to others in the series.
Gideon
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gideon by: Reb
it was good exiting and a total wow. it had a bunch of story's in one. the disappointing part is that the story on the cover is last.it had a one eyed robot and a agent mouse.
Halley Hopson
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Super cute little collection.

I especially loved the art style in the story 'Fish N Chips: All in a Day's Work' by Steve Hamaker. The colors were beautiful.
Sarah J
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Its unclear if this is part of the original "Flight" series, or the "Explorer" series that Kibuishi created. Either way, its an anthology of comics that cover all genres, with contributions from ten comics writers and artists. Some are stand-alones, others have characters from known series, but they showcase a group of talented people doing what they love.
Cara
I've never heard of this kind of graphic novel before. It has short stories in it, and I loved it! Most of the stories were cute and fun, but there were a couple that I will be looking into to see if there are full volumes.
Derryn
Snow caps 2⭐
Over all 3 stars 🖤🖤🖤
Adam
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun graphic novel. It is full of short stories. Some are super short and others are a little longer. There's some great humor and awesome art. Each storyline has its own artist. I will certainly recommend this to middle school aged kids and I will be picking up volume 2 myself.
lovemonicarose
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good collection by different authors. Not something I would reread but it's interesting to see the differences between the different art styles and writing styles.
Kerry Paginton
Steve
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
With the Harvey Award-winning anthology series Flight, editor Kazu Kibuishi has created a bit of a phenomenon. The short-story anthology had not been a popular format in comics for many years, but the critical acclaim and reader attention Flight achieved changed all that. Flight's introduction into the marketplace changed the way many publishing houses viewed comic anthologies, encouraging them to release material of their own in that vein. Because of the quality of work it contained as well, Fl ...more
Katrina
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Daniel really liked it. Hoping to find more
Dawn Rutherford
Fun kids version of the Flight anthologies.
Sarah BT
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've seen the Flight comics in my library young adult collection, but they are almost always checked out and I never get to read them myself. I used this module as a chance to finally read one. I picked up Flight: Explorer mostly because it had a short story about Jellaby, which I had been wanting to read since I first read the Jellaby graphic novel by Kean Soo.

I loved this collection. Just like short stories are perfect ways to find new authors, this graphic novel collection is a great way to
Kirsten
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young readers, librarians, educators
Kazu Kibushi is the editor of the popular graphic novel anthology Flight, and this is a smaller, similar anthology for younger readers. The stories here are mainly action-oriented, humorous, or both, and the artwork tends toward the cartoon-like. This is not to say this is a weak collection, however; there is much here that is immensely entertaining for both older and younger readers. Kibushi excels at finding artists and writers who have a hint of the surreal in their work, and that is in evide ...more
Brenton
Flight Explorer is the new sub-series of the Flight comic anthologies, consisting of Flight fare that is more kid-suited. That alone doesn't automatically mean that I wouldn't enjoy it less than the normal Flight anthologies; I do enjoy plenty of fun kids books, after all. About half of these tales are continuations of serials previously started in the first four volumes of Flight, and it's nice to finally see some of those characters that haven't been around for two or three volumes. On the oth ...more
Mary
May 11, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a collection of different graphic stories arranged into ten chapters. The different chapters offer a wide variety of characters from cats in ancient Egypt, to space travelers, to snow loving monsters. One story, Snow Cap, is wordless. The style of the illustrations vary from chapter to chapter and are bright and colorful. These stories should appeal to the younger grade school reader.

CIP Summary:
None

From Kirkus:
A welcome addition to the still-thin ranks of graphic fiction for younger ch
Patrice Sartor
Flight Explorer features 10 stories, each with a different author/artist. Some of the characters I had seen before (Jellaby and Zita), though most of them were new to me. The connecting theme is flight, though some offer a looser interpretation than others. No matter, they are all highly entertaining. It's a true joy to experience so much varied talent put together in one tiny package--it's a great idea! The only negative is that the stories I especially liked left me hungry for more. Then again ...more
Allie
Explorer: The Mystery Boxes was so so so so good, and compared to that one this Flight Explorer just wasn't as good. I liked Kean Soo's Jellaby comic best and even Kazu Kibuishi's contribution wasn't that impressive (it was the mushroom jumping story from Copper). It wasn't as cool and it definitely wasn't as dark as The Mystery Boxes, which was perhaps an unusually strong collection, so read that one instead.
Amy
Nov 15, 2009 added it
Shelves: 2009, j-comics
This book is a nice sampling of a bunch of comics authors. Each author created a self-contained story which lasts for a few pages. I thought each one was pretty good: Either there was a funny punchline or some kind of neat twist at the end. My favorites were the Jellaby comic (of course!), especially the frame where he goes into the snow for the first time. I also really liked "Big Mouth" - this one was hilarious, but was one of those stories that also made me want to cry because I felt so bad f ...more
Ruhama
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
A collection of short stories told in graphic form.

Ten different artists have contributed to this book, with each story unique in style, plot and point of view. The first story is a boy and his dog and some very tall mushrooms. The third story is about a girl and her monster and its first snow. The fifth story is featured on the cover and is about a laser-wielding, plane-flying mouse who crash lands on a strange planet. This is a nice compilation with a good variety of stories and may lead child
Amy Nicole
This graphic novel for children is actually 10 short comics written by different authors. Each of these stories, including Jellaby, Zita the Spacegirl, and Missile Mouse, has a full length graphic novel counterpart. This format works great for children who may only want to read a smaller story, or who may want to sample several different comics before settling on a full length novel.

Since this was written by several authors, the reading level completely fluctuates. Some comics are wordless and
Lori Redman
Although it's edited by Kazu, this wasn't my favorite collection of stories. Missile Mouse in particular does not stand out as a "cover-worthy" character or story. However, there is a pre-"published-Zita" story in here, and it's cute to see what Hatke's ideas about Zita were like before she became a graphic novel of her own. Not a bad set, but not terribly memorable. EXCEPT for the ADORABLE cat in a poncho who wears goggles and rides on floating things. Oh and, the Jellaby story, although contri ...more
Regina
Dec 06, 2010 added it
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy, scifi
Flight Explorer was a fun, varied collection of short works. It's a great introduction to graphic novels because the stories are so different. I didn't love all of the stories but I did enjoy the exposure to artists and authors I've never heard of. I think many kids will enjoy this book, they are likely to find one or two creators that they just adore. I thought all of the artwork was done really well even though there was such a range of styles.

While I think this would be a natural hit with fa
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This was a nice palate-cleanser after I read a bunch of angsty YA. Some of this was maybe too cute, some of it was pedestrian, but none of the stories here (mostly the size of a very skinny single issue of a comic book) ended in despair or gloom. It was what I was in the mood for, though I didn't know that when I cracked it open. My favorites were Ben Hatke's Zita the Spacegirl story and Kazu Kibuishi's story with giant talking mushrooms. (Not a stoner-humor story, despite the setup.)
Rebecca
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4th grade and up
After that great Amulet sequel, I wanted to read more by Kazu Kibuishi, and came across this little sampler from several comics artists and animators. Snappy and full-color, it had me laughing out loud several times. Take a look if you or your patron feels "iffy" about GNs for grade schoolers. These are like Looney Tunes in a book, with really nice artwork.

"Flight Explorer is an excellent introduction to graphic novels as it shows that you're never too young to laugh, think, and take part in som
Shane
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Students who aren't already familiar with authors like Ben Hatke (Zita the Spacegirl), Kazu Kibuishi (Amulet, Copper), or Jake Parker (Missile Mouse) will have their reading world expanded by this graphic novel since they will be very excited to hear that there are longer stories available from each of these authors beyond what is included in this book. Flight: Explorer #1 has a good "Whitman's Sampler" of stories for fantasy and comic lovers.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Magic Pickle
  • Missile Mouse #1 The Star Crusher
  • Tommysaurus Rex
  • Stinky
  • The Saga of Rex
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave (Owly, #4)
  • Oddly Normal
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Shadow Door
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Prime Baby
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
“I am One. I value my uniqueness. If there were more like me I would hope they were small and easy to destroy.” 14 likes
“I've learned never to wish for people like us. People like us are creepy.” 3 likes