Start by marking “Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)

Ever Near (Secret Affinity #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Love is ever near. But trouble is never far.

Nantucket Island is haunted, but only sixteen-year-old Jade Irving knows it. Ignoring the disturbing spirits isn’t an option, because one dwells in the enormous historic home she shares with her newly blended family. Jade is finding it more and more difficult to explain away Lacey’s ghostly, anguished tantrums, especially with Ch
Published September 2013 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ever Near, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever Near

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Red Adept for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Jade Irving is a typical 16-year-old living on Nantucket Island. Her divorced mom is marrying a widower with two teenage sons and they’ve moved into his beautiful house named Ever-Near just prior to the wedding. It’s summer break and while the teens work summer jobs and party with friends, they’re all adjusting to the new living arrangements, Jade is dealing with a major crush on Charlie her s
Abbie
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

Jade was an okay character, but I didn't love her. I didn't love the romance either.

I didn't enjoy this very much unfortunately. I got bored really early on, and it made the story drag.

Overall, Not awful, but I'm glad it was only short.
Lissette
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old Jade Irving would love to pretend that her life is going exactly as she wants it to. That nothing in her short life is amiss. Sadly, she knows that's not possible. You see, she has a secret. She can see and talk to ghosts, something she wishes weren't a reality. Deep inside, she'd love to get rid of the ability to see them, but she's not exactly sure how to do just that.

Moving in with her new family into the Fair-Ever plantation, Jade hopes that things will change for her. That
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
Sixteen-year-old Jade Irving can't ignore the spirits that seem to cascade around Nantucket Island, after all; it is haunted.

After moving into an enormous and older house with her new family, Jade hopes that the ghosts she can see will hopefully stop jumping out at her, appearing whenever she wants them the least. She hopes that maybe this time she can start over and things will be different, but life's course for her isn't quite serving up what she wished for.

After Jade, her Mom and soon Stepfa
Adele
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, reviewed
The main aspect that drew me into Ever Near, is that there was the prospect of ghosts. And on that front, the story did not disappoint. In the story there’s a ghost who is creepy, and unforgiving, and just plain ol’ crazy town. I liked those parts.

Other than that, I found the story to be a huge let down. I didn’t think that MacVicar focused enough of the story on one thing. Instead the story is going in; what i think, multiple ways. There’s the way of her romantic love, and then the way of her
Laurie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I began reading I was pulled under the spell of this book. Nothing was as I expected. The ghosts Jade sees and hears are nasty, spiteful, dangerous and frightening. These spirits are malevolent and angry. Jade has kept her secret safe for sixteen years – fearing no one would believe her and apprehensive that she would be institutionalized as mentally unbalanced.

Jade and her mother have just moved into a huge house on beautiful and affluent Nantucket Island. Unfortunately, the house is
Kathryn
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I'll admit that maybe I'm not the most impartial reader. Melissa MacVicar is my cousin. I'd like to think, though, that I loved this book for what it was: a really enjoyable story from start to finish. I was hooked from the very first chapter, which introduces the main character, Jade: a teenaged girl who sees ghosts and has a crush on her soon-to-be step-brother. Good characters and an intriguing plot left me left me with a serious case of "just one more chapter, and then I'll " syndro ...more
Lipsy
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this book as I've always found ghost stories a bit hit or miss. Done well and they can be chilling, creepy and utterly compelling, but done badly and they can be completely clichéd and cheesy.

Thankfully, Ever Near fell into the former category, and hit the mark for me.

Protagonist Jade is your regular 16 year-old girl who is having to adjust to separation from her father and her mum's forthcoming second marriage, resulting in Jade and her mum
Jane Hunt
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever Near by Melissa MacVicar

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google +

Ever Near is a Young Adult Paranormal romance.

Teenage Jade's unusual supernatural gift seems like a curse. It frightens her and interferes with her already complex life. Living on Nantucket Island with her mother who is about to remarry is complicated enough. Jade rarely sees her father or her paternal grandparents whom she loves and misses. Then there's Charlie her soon to be step brother who she is crushing on. Fair Ever her
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Let me start off by saying that I am absolutely in love with this book. It has caused me to lose sleep on more than one occasion. I was only willing to put it down when I just could not keep my eyes open any longer. IT. WAS. THAT. GOOD.

This story is about Jade. Jade can see ghosts. She has been able to see ghosts since she was 10 years old. Not of the encounters have ever been exactly pleasant. The ghosts tend to scare her. The ghosts tend to freak out and attack her. Jade has no idea what to do
Hannah (Broc's Bookcase)
I have to admit, I’m not one for ghost stories or anything slightly scary really. Films like Paranormal Activity and any psychological thrillers kind of freak me out. So I was slightly reluctant when I was sent this book to review, but then I thought, why not, it’s good to try something different every so often.

Jade, at first glance, is just your normal sixteen year old. Her and her mum have just moved in with Mike, her mum’s fiancé, and his sons Brendan and Charlie. Totally normal? Sure. Until
Shay
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars
What to say? I spent three days writing this review because I was very conflicted. On one hand I didn't love the characters in this book but on the other the plot was interesting and the book kept me hooked pretty much the whole time, which is more than I can say for a lot of books I've read recently.
Basically this book is about Jade and Jade has been able to see ghosts since she was ten and not Casper like ghosts, sad and angry ghosts who tend to take their anger out on
Kay
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher/author in exchange for my honest review.

Quick Summary: I had a lot of mixed feelings when I first started reading Ever Near, but in the end it was a darn good ghost story.

The setting was great. I’ve never been to Nantucket but I got a good feel about it thanks to the descriptive writing about beaches, interesting buildings, etc. that the author did a great job at providing.

I found the main character Jade to be very
Mary Fan
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fellow Red Adept author here. Bought 'n' paid for this book myself because I wanted to, and this review represents my honest opinions.

Ever Near tells the story of 16-year-old Jade Irving, who has recently moved into a historical mansion with her mother, soon-to-be stepfather, and his two sons. Except there are a few problems: Firstly, that Jade's school crush, Charlie, is also one wedding away from being her stepbrother, and secondly, there's a ghost haunting the old house.

Determined to stop the
Paula Ratcliffe
Heather
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great YA paranormal! It's a clean teen read with a lot of suspense, mystery, and excellent character development. I definitely want to continue on with the series since it started out so strong. I love Jade and Charlie! And the paranormal element is wonderfully creepy. If you love YA paranormal and you're looking for a change from vampires and zombies, I highly recommend this one. (It's also a great one to include if you're looking for a YA book that includes diversity.)
Kacy
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My daughter won a free copy of this book on Goodreads. I thought I would read it as well. I have to say it was a good book! Some of the ghosts were very creepy I have to admit, but overall I give this book a big thumbs up.
Jazmin Jade
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Normally I can find so many things with paranormal books but I found it really hard to be quite and keep and straight face while reading this book in public cause it had me at so many moments. Find my full review on my blog http://wp.me/p3ftwe-w9
Kate Moretti
Jul 24, 2013 added it
Shelves: redadept
A fellow Red Adept author. I liked the relationships between the characters (particularly Jade and her mom) and the ghost scenes were very scary without being cheesy, like some ghost stories can be. Really enjoyed it.
BookLoversLife
Review to come.
Noelle Chavez
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great read for anyone who loves the paranormal!
Debbie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Received via NetGalley and Red Adept Publishing in exchange for an completely unbiased review.
Also posted on Silk & Serif

Ever Near is a story about sixteen year old Jade who can see ghosts. She has been able to see ghosts ever since that one summer when a man chased her from a graveyard. A man no one else could see.

Her mother is getting married to the successful and rich Mike and their fortunes have improved from divorcee-single-mom-and-daughter to part of a family. Unfortunately for Jade
Veronika
I was provided with an e-book for an honest review.

If I have to describe this book in one word I would say forgettable or ordinary, there wasn't anything exciting or really original about this book, meanwhile I didn't find many mistakes in it either so after all it was enjoyable just not in the way I was waiting for.

The Storyline:

The main character is Jade who can see ghosts but not Casper friendly ones, not at all, these ghosts are mean and scary and they try to hurt Jade again and again. Ja
Linda
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Up until now Jade has been able to simply remove herself from places that a ghost appears. She has always found them frightening and has done a good job ignoring the fact that she can see and hear them at all. Jade has never shared that she has this ability with anyone. Not her mother, grandmother, or even her best friend. The problem is that she and her mother have moved into a house that has a troubled and confused spirit, and the ghost is now entering her dreams. There is no escape.

This story

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Fiction

Release Date: January 3, 2014

Publisher: Red Adept Publishing, LLC

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

* I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

Jade's life seems to be looking up. Her Mom is getting remarried to one of the wealthiest men in town. They have moved out of their rundown shabby
Carrie Beth
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've been thinking and thinking about this book since I finished reading in an attempt to figure out why it didn't work for me. I really like paranormal stories and I've read quite a few series that involve characters who see ghosts. There's even a romantic plot line, which tends to be a big selling point for me. Ever Near has all the makings of a book I would really enjoy, but I didn't. Here's why...

When the book started, I immediately
Stephen Kozeniewski
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: red-adept-books
You should know this about me: I think ghosts are total horseshit. The idea of spirits and specters and hauntings and exorcisms and all that stuff are so patently absurd to me that I just can't even take it seriously.

You can imagine, therefore, that when it comes to paranormal fiction I have a high bar. No one's going to get the "ah, but you've heard creaking in your attic late at night" benefit-of-the-doubt kind of thing from me. And that's what makes Melissa MacVicar's debut EVER NEAR so great
Susan
Jade Irving is your typical highschool student – parties, boys, ghosts having tantrums…..Set on Nantucket Island, a place rife with ghostly activity, Jade has to come to terms with her new fund abilities. With the help of her grandmother and a strange ghost hunter, she tackles the mystery surrounding Lacey’s ghost. Her new boyfriend also provides support, but most of the battle is up to her.

I went back and forth on this one. First, I really liked that Jade’s family isn’t all of one ethnicity and
Dana
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I’m not a fan of ghosts — unless you count the ones in the Haunted Mansion ride at Disney — but I was really intrigued by the premise of “Ever Near.” The synopsis reminded me of those shows on the SyFy network with people who thought their houses were haunted (even though I don’t believe in ghosts, I find those shows strangely suspenseful and addictive). And once I saw that “Ever Near” had romance in it, I was s
Nicole
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book had some pretty cool things going for it. First, the protagonist offers a little diversity to Nantuckett. I'll be the first to admit I had some preconceived notions about who lived in old whaling towns, so she was a nice surprise. She also is a nice surprise in the world of paranormal YA where apparently white people are no longer the only ones who see ghosts! I hadn't considered how very ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Upload
  • The Sun, the Moon, and Maybe the Trains (John & Tess Book 1)
  • Braineater Jones
  • The Year of Four (Phoebe Pope, #1)
  • Correlation
  • Grunge Gods and Graveyards
  • Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters (Momotaro, #1)
  • Blood Echo
  • Dastardly Bastard
  • Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels, #1)
  • Suddenly Sorceress (Ivie McKie #1)
  • River of Bones
  • Lay Death at Her Door
  • First to Find (Caching Out, #1)
  • Artificial Absolutes (Jane Colt, #1)
  • Volition (The Perception Trilogy #2)
  • The Portal's Choice (The Gatekeepers of Em'pyrean, #1)
  • The Perpetual Rain (The Chronicles of Trellah, #1)
Melissa was born and mostly raised on Nantucket Island, and she currently lives there with her husband and two teenage children. When not being a wife and mother and teaching writing to seventh graders, she enjoys binge watching shows like Big Little Lies, House of Cards, and Outlander.

Despite the rumors to the contrary, she does not actually wish she was a teenager again, nor does she see ghosts
More about Melissa MacVicar

Secret Affinity (3 books)
  • Ever Lost (Secret Affinity, #2)
  • Nearer Still: A Secret Affinity Story

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)