Start by marking “Stella, Princess of the Sky” as Want to Read:
Stella, Princess of the Sky

Stella, Princess of the Sky (Stella)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Another adventure begins in this book in the Stella and Sam series as the pair explores the wonders of the natural world. A vast luminous sky, the sun, the stars and the rising moon form the backdrop for their nocturnal expedition. As they encounter raccoons, fireflies, tree frogs and bats, Sam wonders if the moon can swim, if the sun wears pajamas or if he can catch shoot ...more
Published July 9th 2004 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Stella, Princess of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella, Princess of the Sky

Jo
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
A sweet story about siblings and the natural world around us. Stella and her little brother Sam decide to spend the night camping outdoors and Sam is full of questions about the sky and the moon and everything around him. Stella, in her patient and kind big sister way, has all the answers for him.
Kathryn
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ewan
Ewan, 5 years old ~
"It is AMAZING because Stella knows everything! Because when Sam thinks the raccoons are robbers Stella tells him that they are going to a costume party - but they actually aren't, but they both think the raccoons are wearing masks!"
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
An excellent big sister book. Stella is the consummate know it all big sister, but in a nature loving, nurturing kind of way. She is the lovely little awe struck stars in the sky, crazy haired, lightning bug catching, fearless big sister that any little brother would be blessed to have.
Sarah W
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I think this could be a fun book for questions with younger students, but it didn't work out as well for my age group.
Sofies bokblogg
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
En riktigt fin och mysig bok om syskonskap och stora frågor om solen och stjärnorna.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stella, Princess of the Sky by Marie-Louise Gay is one of the Stella and Sam series of books. I included on my list of astronomy themed books for children ages 5 to 8.

The book begins with a conversation between Stella and Sam about the sunset and how the sky changes over the course of the day. It prompts the children to stay out that night, camping under the stars. They observe the sky above and the animals around them.

The illustrations capture the changing colors of the night: pastel oranges an
Candice
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A cute storybook about big sister Stella explaining the wonders of nature to little brother Sam. Sam sees the sky at sunset and thinks it's on fire until Stella explains that the sun is going to sleep. Her explanations are just right for a little boy, and the two decide to camp outside that night. Stella reassures Sam about the night sounds he hears as they watch the moon rise over the lake and the stars come out. The end of the book is what made me love it. I miss you, Sophie!
Krista
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd Stella and Sam book that my kids and I have read. So far they never disappoint. My kiddos really love the dynamic between Stella and her little brother Sam. In this story Stella and Sam set off on a trip to sleep under the stars and Stella tells Sam all about the sun, moon, and stars. Very Cute book that I highly recommend.
Kim
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Stella is a wonderful older sister. She calmly explains different things to her brother in her own unique way.

The ending to this one through me off a bit but the relationship between the siblings is always a joy to read.

I support independent bookstores. Please use this link to find one near you or to purchase this book:

Dolly
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
Not so much a story as a sweet, pleasant conversation between a big sister and her little brother. The questions and answers are fun and very age appropriate. And their wonder and awe of the world around them is refreshing. We enjoyed this story; we laughed at the dialogue and we liked the watercolor illustrations very much.
Kim
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: siblings
I picked this up after doing a keyword search for a princess storytime, which, of course, this book is not about princesses. It's a good older sibling story with cute little responses. Not sure about the ending though. Is it about a far away grandmother or a dead one? Either way, it's a strange way to end the story.
Katie Fitzgerald
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love all the questions Sam has about the night sky, and Stella's earnest but often incorrect attempts to answer them. This book shows all that is good about having a brother or sister, and accurately reflects the imaginative explorations of young children.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
The first of the Stella series that I've read. Stella patiently answers questions from her annoying little brother Sam. Cute drawings. Nice to see a Canadian author for a change, I don't think we get exposure to all that many.
April Christensen
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute story
Teri
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, space
fun picture book that could be a nice light hearted break in a space unit
Leyla
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, jennifer
I didn't know these were a series! I love them!!
Dee
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was soooo cute. I want to read some more Stella stories.
Gail
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My 2.5 yo liked this.
Kristal
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adorable story of an adventurous girl and her younger brother exploring the natural world around them. Beautifully illustrated.
Nealam