Start by marking “Remember Me: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Remember Me: A Novel

Remember Me: A Novel

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A ferociously determined twenty-nine-year-old, Rose Devonic lives in Queduro, New Mexico, where she--like most others--makes her living selling embroidery. But a tragedy in her past has made her an outcast. Only by facing down her ghosts--and her hometown--will she learn to accept the liberating challenges of belonging, identity, and love.
Published October 18th 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Remember Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember Me

Pat
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is brimming with interesting characters, from Rose to Birdie to Alice and to many of the minor players in the story. The narrative point of view shifts so that the reader sees inside the thoughts of several characters and learns about rationalizations and motivations behind the action of the novel. The setting of a remote village that is sometimes cutoff from the rest of civilized New Mexico is easy for a Coloradan to visualize and understand. Our book group was fortunate to have Laura ...more
Cgrant
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first, I didn't like the book but pushed through it and it was like many books, hard to get going early on, but then easier to read once you got through the plodding beginning. Af first, I didn't like Rose and thought she was selfish and hard to figure out beyond that, and even though she is a little rough around the edges, her heart is in the right place in her affection for Birdie and her changed heart regarding Alice. In the end, I ended up disliking the townspeople instead (with the excep ...more
Diane
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I chose this book because two of my favorite authors, Kent Haruf and Richard Russo, wrote positive blurbs about it. I can see a slight comparison to Kent Haruf. Just replace Kent Haruf's small-town Colorado settings with a small-town New Mexico setting where everybody knows one another. The setting figures heavily in the plot of this book. The author captures the feeling of being trapped in a small town with few options; however, I am not the type of person who gets overly sentimental about plac ...more
Kristi
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Great characterization! However, didn't always understand the motivation behind why some characters chose to do what they did. Plus the small mindness of this tiny town was highly irritating - different was not good and scape goats were necessary. On the positive side, it was a good learning experience about the traditional embroidery craft/trade in small New Mexico towns - the art & skill that goes into it.
Cook Memorial Public Library
Rose is an eccentric heroine and an outcast in her New Mexico town, a place that survives on exquisite embroidery. I loved the flawed and insecure characters, all looking for connection.

Recommended by Connie

Check our catalog: http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore/...
Jeanne
Apr 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
29-yr-old woman in a small town, NM, her family was killed in a car crash. She's seen by locals as a charity case, not part of their local tradition. Folks trying to run her out of town. She keeps coming back because it's where she belongs. Her surrogate dad dies from stroke complications, his sister has alzheimers. Girl tries to help them out. Finally comes back to town to make a stand.
Laura Beth
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was surprised how much I liked this one. Rose was an identifiable character with her many flaws but truly big heart. The reader longs for her to suceed even though she is constantly being thrown challenge after challenge; I mean how much bad luck/hardship can one person survive? But the embroidery theme stays true & helps the fluidity.
SOAL
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book grew on me. I never disliked it, but it didn't exactly grab me right away. If it weren't for the fact that I was reading it for a book club, I might have given up a third of the way through. But I'm glad I stuck it out because it ended up being quite good, with some interesting turns. It was definitely worth reading.
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a small, isolated mountain town in New Mexico, Rose Devonic, a 29-year-old woman scorned by the townspeople because she can’t or won’t live up to their ideas of acceptable behavior, persists in living life HER way, even as she battles to win acceptance, or at least tolerance, from a narrow-minded, gossipy community.
Anna
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in northern New Mexico, very few of the characters are hispanic, which I thought was odd. It was a great story, fast read, but the ending left me a little flat.
Mich
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
didnt get great reviews but i tho't this book was really good. the 'embroidering' part was a bit odd but i liked the underlying story a lot.. good chick read
Jerry
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great. My kind of story. Reminded me a lot of Kent Haruf. I her only other book, short stories... Stygo.
Juli
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-and-1-2-stars
2.5
Tara
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Who knew a book centered on the act of embroidery could be interesting?
Jodi
Jan 17, 2016 added it
Did not like
Karla
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book had a slow start to it but I'm glad that I finished it ---I loved the characters. The theme of not giving power to those who control by fear was very inspiring.
Psalm
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Kind of liked how she's a lovable loser.
Laurie Stoll
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I found Remember Me as a boring story. Parts were interesting but for the most part this story just didn't seem to have much substance to it.
Mary Lynn
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting characters. Quirky.
Jen
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Loved the characters, loved the setting (New Mexico). Anyone who likes Barbara Kingsolver's books, especially Animal Dreams, would be likely to enjoy this one.
Christine
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good reading. Very good storyline.
Sarah S
  • Oyster
  • Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen
  • The Metaphysical Touch
  • The Body Is Water
  • La muchacha de las bragas de oro
  • The Stumpwork Robe (The Chronicles of Eirie #1)
  • Swimming Across the Hudson
  • A Perfect Love (Texas Hearts, #2)
  • The Last Cheater's Waltz: Beauty and Violence in the Desert Southwest
  • Secrets of the TSIL Cafe
  • The Case of the Hook-Billed Kites (Sarah Deane Mystery, #1)
  • Rocket City
  • The End of Baseball
  • Il gabbiano
  • The Limerick
  • Sam The Cat Detective (Sam the Cat Mystery, #1)
“Trying to read slowly when you haven't had time to read is like holding back hunger. It's like having a meal in front of you and knowing you should be polite and use a fork, when all you really want to do is lean over and shovel it in with both hands.” 8 likes