Start by marking “S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised: An Essay on Magic” as Want to Read:
S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised: An Essay on Magic

S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised: An Essay on Magic

Discussions around Science, Religion and Art break down unless the fourth factor, Magic, is recognised.

Magical thought is described and contrasted with Science, Art and Religion. The dynamic relationship between them is explained. Modern magic and its role in the 21st century is outlined with respect to practices ranging from ritual magic, through alchemy to New Age thera

Published April 1st 2002 by Mouse That Spins (first published April 1975)

To ask other readers questions about S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised

Nerine Dorman
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first time I met Ramsey Dukes, it was over breakfast at the now-defunct Tibetan Tea Shop in Simon's Town. A friend had put me onto him, as someone I should meet and talk to, and as they say, the rest is history. He is a thinker of rare wit and deep insight, and it is through this slim little volume SSOTBME: Revised, an Essay on Magic, that I've rediscovered my delight in the Western magical system.

Dukes outlines a system of approaching our experience of our world into four directions: Scient
Jason
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magick, metaphysics
This is probably one of the most important and life changing books I have ever read. It revealed to me how limiting my way of thinking really was and, more importantly, that there was an alternative. It's possible that I read this at just the right time in my life. It seems like something I should have dismissed out of hand as being irrational, and if read at any other time in my life I probably would have. I can't explain why I was ready to hear this now... maybe I just was ready to acknowledge ...more
Mydyen Seeker
Aug 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: practice
Really wonderful book on magical theory. Spiced with cheeky humor, Dukes laus out magical thinking and practice separate from the stigmas of our current scientific society.
Edric Unsane
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
Not a bad book, but ultimately I believe SSOTBME is for the new up-and-coming magicians. If you are new to the occult, and to magic, this is definitely a good book to begin with.
Gary D.
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book much like Isaiah Berlin's Roots of Romanticism, where categorization opens new vistas before you.
Jessecooperlevy
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Just had a dream that I started yet another book instead of finishing the last one. What does that mean? It means I'm writing a review instead of reading.

peace,
coops
Justin
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written and down to earth. Easier to read than most similar books and without unnecessary jargon
Matheen Mohammed Khan
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Years into the occult, since also having read this book, and insights still pour in. A theoretical perspective on Magick that almost all authors on this subject are not familiar with, which is to say, an undeniable theory on this matter, ironically serving the opposite of what magick loathes: Incontestable Dogma! Magic begins with observation and places the highest importance on it, over any theory or belief, of the eye over the mind. Honing your sensory perception is a key requisite. For the ex ...more
Richard
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Updated edition of this classic for Kindle.
Andrew Smith
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stop pretending to be a Magickian and start thinking like one, invaluable!
Sharon Blake
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my whole view of my world. Everything around me was revealed to be full of unexpected significance. This is more than a book on magic. Read it to have your eyes opened.
Constant66johnyahoo.co.uk

• Advanced Magick for Beginners
  • Prime Chaos: Adventures in Chaos Magic
  • Liber Kaos
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
  • Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age