Start by marking “Calling the Circle” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Calling the Circle

Christina Baldwin

Calling the Circle

Christina Baldwin is the author of Calling the Circle, "Seven Whispers," and most recently "Storycatcher," which won a 2006 Books for a Better Life Award. She teaches and lectures extensively through her educational company, PeerSpirit. S
Published August 26th 2009 by Bantam Books (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Calling the Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling the Circle

Start your review of Calling the Circle
Evan Anderson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An immensely practical book; if I have any criticism it's that the key concepts can be explained in two to three chapters, and some of the examples of group dynamics in action feel like the author's efforts to make the circle more "relevant" in today's business environment. In fact, it is visionary: a rediscovery of an ancient practice of connecting in a circle that's been shoved aside in our still-entrenched pattern of hierarchical, top-down structures of living and decision-making. The book's ...more
Molly
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
This book is a good resource overall. It started to lag during the second half and feel repetitive and I began thinking it could have been distilled into an article, rather than expanded into a book. Helpful guidelines for circle work though and good basics of group process that I will use in future classes!
Lindy
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource for women's spiritual studies. Gathering together in harmony and with positive intention.
Tracy
Interesting process. I'm sure I'll try a bunch of this as it aligns with things I already do. Not right, I think, for all occasions, but needs fair testing. However, the book probably could have been half the length. Baldwin just uses too many words. Her style is way too verbose for me personally and I kept feeling like I was reading the same thing over and over. Could have been half as long. Ended up feeling like a very hard sell by the end, a hard sell on things I was already convinced of, ...more
Antoinette
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't particularly think there was anything outstanding about this book. In my mind, I read it and realized it was all a way to capitalize on 12 step meetings/indigenous wisdom. I don't know if I agree with the premise that circles are a whole culture unto themselves. I use a modified version of the PeerSpirit (tm! see what I mean by capitalizing on stuff that really shouldn't be trademarked?) format for a group, which is why I read it, but was unimpressed by the book itself.
Pupak Haghighi
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate Christina's writing on the subject. Her book helped me get a better grasp of calling and creating circles. Becoming a citizen of the circle is a profound experience and Christina tells the tales masterfully. Thank you for your passion to write this book.
Luci
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
It's hard to rate a self-help type of book. Was it enjoyable to read? not really. Was it helpful? Could be. Did I learn something? yes.
Mark Oppenlander
A former co-worker gifted this book to me and it took me some time to get around to reading it. I assumed it was just another self-help book on management techniques. As it turns out, it is something else altogether and the contents are only tangentially associated with the workplace.

Local (Whidbey Island) author Christina Baldwin is an advocate for circling as a technique for creative dialogue and problem solving. In her view, circles are the first and primary form by which humans came together
Colleen Shannon
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a break from the traditional group dynamic - TQM discource (yet still applicable in many of the afore mentioned situations) this book interwove practical implications with an anthropological, spiritual and indigenous origins of collective movements as well as mediation and personal growth. I thought it was a great, and more holistic, reference for facilitating a variety of group interactions from community organizations, project/task groups, therapeutic support groups and just circles of like ...more
Catherine Wilson
"Calling the Circle" shows us the answer to conflict at all levels. This simple, ancient-yet-new way of communicating, finding consensus, and deepening respectful connection is artfully presented by Baldwin, whose prose is a pleasure to experience. Our countries, our businesses, our families - all groups of human beings - need to move towards these simple methods if we are going to begin to accomplish peace in our world.
Franco
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sacred-circle
A most precious resource for those who wish to explore the healing power of the circle in a very pragmatic and direct way. The text provides effective tools for dealing with group dynamics, which can be easily applied in any context of life, such as family, organisations, workplace and intimate relationships. The book is inspired by a deeply holistic consciousness, which can provide significant insights for anyone on the path of group healing and reconciliaton.
Holly
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ambled my way through this book over a long period of time with an intial fascination with the possibilities of stepping into a new leadership role with a sense of honor for those I would be leading and hope for great teamwork. I believe that this book laid a hopefilled framework in my mind and that we collectively achieved much in the way of greater results from greater respect for each other and those that we would serve.
Tina Whittle
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A profound book that gives voice to that often unintelligible need we have for communion, community, and culture. It articulates the call. Necessary and beautiful.
Janne Asmala
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-of-hosting
Although the language gets a bit New Agey at times, this is still the definite guide to circling, a minimal structure of dialogue and co-creative leadership.
gail
Nov 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Circling - "a council of ordinary people who convene to create a sacred space and from that space accomplish a specific task, supporting each other in the process."
Julie Murphy
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The New Ghost
  • Backyard Guide to the Night Sky
  • At Home with Plants
  • In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • Of Noble Family (Glamourist Histories, #5)
  • Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
  • Il mondo di Ran n. 2
  • Il mondo di Ran n. 1
  • Il mondo di Ran n. 3
  • Ran and the Gray World, Vol. 5
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • Tell Me What to Eat If I Have Acid Reflux: Nutrition You Can Live with (Tell Me What to Eat)
  • Glamour in Glass (Glamourist Histories, #2)
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)