Start by marking “Manhunt (Vengeance of the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Manhunt (Vengeance of the Gods, #1)

Manhunt

(La Vengeance des Dieux #1)

Le jour s'est levé depuis longtemps sur le Royaume du soleil. Kel, le jeune scribe, s'éveille à peine. Aux yeux de ses chefs, au Bureau des Interprètes, ce retard lui vaudra certainement une forte sanction - une bagatelle en comparaison du sort réservéà ses collègues plus ponctuels : car la mort a frappé et l'illustre Bureau ne compte pas un seul survivant. Pris de panique ...more
Published (first published November 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Manhunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manhunt

Isabelle
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabelle by: Given for free when buying 2 books from the same collection
This book was given to me for free when I bought 2 other books from the same collection. I'd heard about this author but this is the first book I read. This is the first volume of the series La Vengeance des Dieux but I won't be reading the second one.
The characters are too unidimensional and don't act like real people. The hero is, in my opinion, pretty stupid and keeps getting saved by Deus Ex Machina, which to me is lazy writing. The mystery could be interesting but the story is very repetiti
Steven McKay
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
It starts well but the writing style is very limited and doesn't lend itself to a book of this length. Lots of 4 page chapters full of stunted, unrealistic dialogue, and ridiculous characters who are completely one dimensional makes for a boring read.
It all gets very silly when a DONKEY is introduced as a main character, "allergic to lawmen" so it can sense hostile guards hiding in barrels...it even leads a posse of rebellious animals "as their recognised leader" (!) to create a diversion for th
Nataly
Oct 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hm... I can't say that I liked this book greatly. I haven't found the atmosphere of Ancient Egypt in it. Though Bebon is a rather interesting character.
Mrtracksclass
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historic-fiction
Manhunt Review

The book I read was Manhunt by Christian Jacq and I chose the book not as something I wanted to read but more of something that I found coincidentally found in my house and thought it would do. The setting takes place within around 530B.C. in Ancient Egypt, where a scribe who works for the interpreters Secretariat named Kel lives. The job of the secretariat is to decipher coded messages that are sent to Egypt from neighboring county’s especially from Egypt’s friend at the time; Gre
Daydreamer
Manhunt-The Vengeance of the Gods by Christian Jacq

Rating:2,5/5 stars

Synopsis:
Kel works as an Interpreter for the Royal court. When he finds his colleagues murdered, he flees, but not without retrieving a mysterious papyrus nobody can read. He wants to prove his innocence, by deciphering the secrets of the papyrus.

My thoughts:

The beginning was very interesting and packed with action. It made me curious.
But after the first half (and this is generous) it became repetitive and boring. Nothing w
Puri Perez Gomez
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Una historia donde el autor nos cuenta hechos reales mezclados con la historia de Kel. Los personajes me gustaron con sus virtudes y defectos pero cada uno luchando por lo que cree, Kel, Bebo, Nitis, el faraón e incluso el asno Viento del Norte que tiene unos momentos únicos, te acercan a una cultura milenaria llena de rituales y tradiciones que me parecen interesantes y que desconocía. Leeré el Segundo para saber que pasa con Kel y los traidores. Una lectura diferente a lo que estoy acostumbrad ...more
Farah Aziz
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had read the highly acclaimed Ramses series and the Queen of Freedom trilogy some years back, but had not picked up another Christian Jacq book since. That is until now. When I stumbled on this and after a cursory glance at the premise of the story, I got it. After reading it, I really did spend quite a bit of time wondering, 'what supernatural force possessed me?' Perhaps the stars were not quite aligned that particular day.. Anyhow, I read this in a day and categorically decided that I will ...more
Patrícia
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Jacq fans
This is a typical Jacq book, with a very righteous hero that ends up in the middle of a conspiracy, his good buddies that help him out, a beautiful and pure heroine and very powerful baddies.

I've read most books by this author and although I've seen this plotline before, I never get tired of it. I love Jacq's romantic vision of Egypt. Although that is a little inaccurate, most historical info seems good to me (although I'm not an especialist, by any means).

Looking forward to the next book in the
Eric
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this as a who/why done it set in Ancient Egypt. Admittedly the characters are a bit two dimensional but the narrative has pace. A good 'holiday read.' Be warned; the story doesnt end with this book. It continues in The Divine Worshipper (which I havent read) There were lots of typos in my English Trans publ by Simon & Schuster!
Victoria JS
May 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first in a trilogy of books by French writer, Christian Jacq, this sets the scene for conspiracy and murder.

On the whole the book was readable. However... either the writing is over simplistic or the translation is. It lacked depth. The characters were very two dimensional and the story very linear.
Michelle
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
There were some of the same elements here as in the Judge of Egypt series, but still good. Jacq is such a good writer that even after studying Egyptology, I can't always tell where the facts end and the fiction begins.
Yeliz
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
I remember reading a couple of Jacq books as a child and liking them very much. Perhaps it is the time that changes your attitude towards genres or maybe this particular book is a bore.
Nikunj Thakkar
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Page turner!
Karthik Kumar
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Very disappointing narration when compared to Ramses' series. Hope he makes amends in the next part
Clara G.
Dec 16, 2016
Sabina
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Filha de Ísis (As Memórias de Cleópatra, Parte 1/3)
  • Presságios de Inverno (Acácia, #2)
  • A Passagem - Volume II (The Passage #1, Part 2 of 2)
  • Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)
  • Our Wicked Mistake (Notorious Bachelors, #2)
  • Delilah
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Egypt: the Book of Chaos (Rai Rahotep, #3)
  • Ad Infinitum: A Biography of Latin
  • Reflections in the Nile (Time Travel, #1)
  • Las cuatro estaciones: primavera/verano
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • House of Illusions  (Lady of the Reeds, #2)
  • The Season of the Hyaena (Egyptian Mysteries, #2)
  • La vengeance d'Isabeau (Le Bal des louves, #2)
  • Keulakuva (Ajan pyörä, #16)
  • The War at Troy
  • Day of the Scarab
Christian Jacq is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly.

Jacq's interest in Egyptology began when he was thirteen, and read History of Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Jacques Pirenne. This inspired him to write his first novel. He first visited Egypt when he was s

La Vengeance des Dieux (2 books)
  • The Divine Worshipper (Vengeance of the Gods, #2)