Start by marking “Merry and Bright” as Want to Read:

Finding Mr Right
Brilliant chemist Maggie Bell has a knack for choosing Mr. Wrong, and with yet another lonely Christmas looming, she decides it's time to alter the equation - and seek out someone who seems totally wrong for her. Eureka! The heart is a genius...

Bah, Handsome
Behind on her bills, B&B owner Hope receives an unlikely guest - stranded solicitor Danny,
Published October 1st 2013 by Kensington Book (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Merry and Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry and Bright

Start your review of Merry and Bright
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Finding Mr Right: the smart woman wins the heart of the stud muffin, who she had a major crush on in high school. I will always devour that story line!

Bah, Handsome: love that Jill Shalvis wrote a nerdy hero, but the heroine was too bitchy for my tastes.

Ms. Humbug: my favorite of the three. Hate-to-love stories seem to be doing it for me lately. ^_^
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Story 1 was super cute, stories 2 & 3 were ok. But JILL SHALVIS, so I'm ok with it.
Susan
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finding Mr Right

Fun story. Maggie is tired of her bad luck in finding Mr. Right and with the encouragement of her sister, decides to have some fun with a Mr. Wrong instead. When she discovers that the man in charge of renovating the office where she works
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Jill Shalvis + Christmas stories = Happiness!

Thats really all you have to know. MERRY AND BRIGHT is a Jill Shalvis orgy of her Christmas stories compiled together in one book. That being said, you may want to check and see if youre already read these stories before since they are reprints of older titles. I havent read them and I wasnt sure what exactly to expect since they are older works of my favourite author, but once I cracked into it, I realized that I had nothing to worry about. ALL the
Samantha
Merry and Bright by Jill Shalvis is a collection of three short stories set around Christmas. I dont normally read holiday setting books, but I picked this one up for the Ho Ho Ho Read-a-thon.

Ive only ever read one other book by Shalvis and this collection reminded me why I never picked-up another. While the stories arent bad, theyre just not my thing. If I read a contemporary romance, I tend to want the conflict to stay at believable levels.The fact that Shalvis seems to think that all her
Dee

Three women find love

I love Christmas books
Three holiday novellas
All happy endings

Note: This is a reprint of older holiday novellas. I hadn't read any of them previously, but you might want to check before buying.
Kate
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, novellas, 2014
The first two stories in this collection were terrible. The writing was sloppy and felt like mediocre fanfic to me. The plots were kind of ridiculous and also not at all suited to novellas. The plot in the last one was also not suited to a novella, but there was some good tension and chemistry between the leads and the writing was markedly better. And all three female characters were primarily motivated by the fact that they desperately wanted orgasms. They were obsessed with orgasms. And, ...more
Carol
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read two out of three stories and could not work up the enthusiasm to read the third. The plots were cute and the characters okay, but for short stories there seemed to be an awful lot of sex. I prefer relationships to be more developed before sex is involved.
Kim Cabanting
This book isn't what I'd call Christmassy and it's definitely more naughty than nice. The stories held my interest though.
Deborah Vespo
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three cute Christmas short stories. Don't know why but I go through these fazes throughout the year where I want to read Christmas stories!

Finding Mr. Wright: Chemist Maggie Bell finds that a man she knew in high school, Jacob, is doing some renovation work at the company she works for. She hasn't had much luck with the guys who she thinks are ideal for her, so on the advice of a friend she decides to go for a guy who is totally opposite of her and Jacob is looking like the ideal candidate.
Anne - Books of My Heart
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Well this is a Jill Shalvis book so of course, I liked it. The stories are all set right before Christmas but do not really include anything holiday related except minor mentions of shopping or decorating or travel plans. This is actually 3 long stories in this book.

1. Finding Mr Right 5 stars
This is my favorite in the bunch. Maggie is a scientist, smart. Jacob owns a construction company. They knew each other in high school. He was a popular, sports star. She was years younger, a nerd, not
Jessica Alcazar
THIS was a little bundle of goodness!
All 3 stories had the great wit, humor and sexiness that Ms Shalvis has normally delivered but Finding Mr Right stood out WAY above all! From "$1.19" to "Goddammit, are you getting naked?" I laughed so hard I thought I would pee my pants. I couldn't stop. Maggie made for a very entertaining 100 pages or so. The only tiny little thing that I would change is the 'i love you' part. The story didnt need it. It actually took away from it's realism a little bit.
Darcy
These 3 stories were cute, but the set up a little hard for me to buy into, especially the last one. Being that they were short stories it seemed like things moved at super speed.
Shelley
3 short stories from 2005-2009 collected in one. I think this may be my Shalvis swan song. I've been liking her current stuff less and less, and based on these, I'm a little afraid to reread the ones I read years ago for fear of what I missed.

Finding Mr Right: Maggie's sister implores her to try and choose a Mr Wrong since Mr Right doesn't seem to work out so well. Mr Wrong, an old high school crush, turns out to be a good choice, especially since the Mr Right she was currently trying to date
OpenBookSociety.com

Authors Website: http://jillshalvis.com/
Review brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Synopsis:

Finding Mr. Right
Brilliant chemist Maggie Bell has a knack for choosing Mr. Wrong, and with yet another lonely Christmas looming, she decides its time to alter the equation and seek out someone who seems totally wrong for her. Eureka! The heart is a genius

Bah, Handsome
Behind on her bills, B&B owner Hope receives
Vicky
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of three novellas in one between fifty and ninety pages long. They are all set in the Christmas season, though that doesnt play heavily into the stories. They all moved at the speed of lightning as far as developing the relationships went and the sex was hot and frequentsomething that was a little off-putting for me as they just seemed to move a little too fast. In the first one, Finding Mr.Right, Maggie has the hots for Jasona contractor at the lab where she works and ...more
Andra Weis
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Review:

Finding Mr. Right

From the first page I was drawn into Maggie`s plightand I totally loved her sister`s suggestion! Why not choose Mr. Wrong since Mr. Right (on paper that is) has not worked out in the past (maybe I should take a lesson from her playbook?). As it turns outMr. Wrong (aka Jacob) is an old high school crush who just happens to be working as the guy in charge of earthquake retrofitting her office building.

Maggie is insecure (with respect
Maryann Skaritka
Three short Christmas novellas are part of this book.

1. Finding Mr. Right
Scientist Maggie Bell decides to change it up and date a Mr. Wrong instead of Mr. Right. She rediscovers high school classmate Jacob Wahler. Jacob is the construction foreman for a project in Maggie's building. I liked Maggie's quirky habit of sharing trivia facts when she was nervous.

2. Bah Handsome!
Colorado B & B owner Hope O'Brien is barely keeping things financially above water. Her step brother Edward is demanding
Jessi
Finding Mr. Right
If you can't find Mr. Right, mess around with Mr. Wrong. At least that is the theory Maggie Bell, genius scientist, is working by. So she decides to hook up with Jacob Wahler, currently working on the earthquake retrofitting in Maggie's office. Also her high school crush.
But is her newfound romance a result of great chemistry or the lotion that her bosses have developed?

Bah Handsome
Hope O'Brien borrowed money from her stepbrother to try and bolster her aging B&B. And now
Molly
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Short stories have their own style and Jill writes them well. My favorite of the three was the last one.

Finding Mr. Right, was cute and amusing, but the story was farfetched, even for my techie self. Still fun.

Bah Handsome, lots of fun and laughs. Loved both main characters and the two peripheral pals were really funny. I got hung up on some continuity issues.

Ms. Humbug was my favorite of the three. Definitely the steamiest of the three. Matt was just the best hero for me.

Fun reads with love and
Margaret Yelton
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received Merry and Bright from Kensington Publisher's and this is my fair and honest opinion of the book. I enjoyed all three short stories each one set around the Christmas season. Each was very well written, and all had been previously released as novellas. If you enjoy Jill Shalvis, you should enjoy this quick little read.
Batgirl13
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Great holiday read-3 short stories with just enough plot to keep my attention but nothing too crazy to remember when I was up the night before wrapping gifts until 4am. Shalvis always delivers a good romance! This book contains 3 novellas: Finding Mr. Right/Bah, Handsome/ and Ms. Humbug. The first was my favorite, the middle was a bit unbelievable, and the last one was crazy, but fun.
Sinshine
This is a collection of three short stories that I enjoyed for what they were. Short Stories.

The move at a very, very fast pace and so things happen so suddenly. The "I love Yous" too fast, the sex too fast, but meh...it is what it is.

This was a relax in the tub book for me. I giggled a few times and I rolled my eyes more times. But I like the holiday theme and they were cute short stories.
Debbie
Three very cute, mysterious and hot love stories. Very light reading and I love how they all had a little mystery added in. I loved the quirkiness of the female characters in the stories who landed the hot, sexy hunks.
D
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Three Christmas holiday short romance stories make up this book. Just a fast and fun lighthearted read celebrating the joy of connection. A small amount of mystery is intertwined in two of the stories to give the tale a bit more kick.
Catherine
I didnt know what I was getting into with this one. A little too steamy and too cheesy for my taste. ...more
Carla
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, christmas
3 1/2 stars. Cute, above average novellas set at Christmas time.
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
3 lovely light romances set around the Christmas period. All had an added bit of suspense as well making these easy and fund to read.
I always love the characters in Shalvis' novels.
Jaime Moynihan Baum
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

It was 3 enjoyable stories, just for fun... ... .. . . . . . . . . . .
Lynn Anne
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas and romance my two favorite things when you put them together
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Can the title of this Jill Shalvis book be fixed? 2 17 May 28, 2013 01:43AM

• Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • The Littlest Angel (And Baby Makes Three)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Natural Born Trouble
  • All I Want for Christmas Is You
  • Winter's Proposal
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • All Fired Up
  • Christmas at White Pines: A Christmas Blessing / Natural Born Daddy (Under a Texas Sky)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • A Christmas Blessing
  • Oh, Christmas Night
  • Santa's on His Way
  • Every Bit a Rogue (The Ellinghams, #4)
  • The Christmas Bouquet (Chesapeake Shores, #11)
Multiple New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jill Shalvis lives in a small town in the Sierras full of quirky characters. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in her books is mostly coincidental. Look for Jills bestselling, award-winning heartwarming and full of humor novels wherever books are sold and visit her website for a complete book list and daily blog detailing her ...more