Start by marking “La pointe d'argent (Les Annales de la Compagnie Noire, #4)” as Want to Read:
La pointe d'argent (Les Annales de la Compagnie Noire, #4)

La pointe d'argent

(The Chronicles of the Black Company #3.5)

« Mon nom est Philodendron Casier. Si je me suis engagé, c'est pour fuir ma famille, des ramasseurs de patates fichus de coller un prénom pareil à un mouflet. J'étais à la bataille des Tumulus où la Dame, la Rose Blanche et la Compagnie noire, alliées pour un temps, ont mis fin à la menace du Dominateur. On a brûlé son corps, dispersé les cendres et emprisonné son âme malé ...more
Hardcover, Collection La dentelle du Cygne, 448 pages
Published February 25th 2002 by L'Atalante (first published September 15th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about La pointe d'argent, please sign up.
Jana This takes place after the third book but it's a sort of side story as it follows what happens to the guys that did not head south with the rest of th…moreThis takes place after the third book but it's a sort of side story as it follows what happens to the guys that did not head south with the rest of the Black Company. So if you want you can skip this and read Shadow games next (which is what I did) but I strongly recommend you read this as well at some point as it wraps up Raven's, Darlings and co.'s story. (less)

Start your review of La pointe d'argent (Les Annales de la Compagnie Noire, #4)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5), Glen Cook

The Black Company is a series of dark fantasy books written by American author Glen Cook. The series combines elements of epic fantasy and dark fantasy as it follows an elite mercenary unit, The Black Company, through roughly forty years of its approximately four-hundred-year history.
Main chronology:

The Books of the North: (The Black Company: May 1984, Shadows Linger: October 1984, The White Rose: April 1985).
The Books of th
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💀 Buddy reread with the clueless new mercenary recruits Elena, Maria and Mark over at BB&B. Under the wicked supervision of our Ever-Stalking Black Company Overlord (ESBCO™), of course 💀

Previous rating: 2 stars.
New rating: 2.558694258 stars.

And the mathematical moral of this reread is :

He of the Awesome Plant Name's (HotAPN™) narration: +3 stars
Fido the Super Cute Puppy (FtSCP™) and his best buddy the Ever Pissed Off Wicker Man (EPOWM™): +6 stars
✔ My über cuddly Plain of Fear pets: +1
Evgeny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The blurb on the cover says it all: The Black Company has parted ways, and the world may suffer the consequences. This time I have practically nothing to add without giving spoilers. This can be considered to be a side story as the major part of the surviving main characters do not appear here at all.

Quite a few familiar faces appear though and this book gives a nice final closure to the northern tale of the Company. As such it is better read right after book 3 of the main storyline.

One of the
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

Why do you break my heart so???

This is a book that after the end you have to take a step back to really appreciate where it ended up. I both hated and loved the end and could definitely see why this book has some very conflicting reviews. Not everyone makes it out alive (this is Grimdark Fantasy what did you expect) and when you care about the characters that is always a hard thing. But I really loved how true to the story Cook stayed and how he made me respect and root for characters even when
Choko
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been thinking about this and I believe my anger at some of the characters turned my objectivity off and giving this book anything less than 4 stars is just not right... So, I am changing my rating because this is a very good series!!!

*** 4 ***

*** 3.45 ***
A buddy read with BBB buddies:-)

This is a the story of Raven, Case, Darling, Limper, Silent and the monster Killer Dog immediately after the battle conclusion in the North from book 3 in the series. Mr. Cook just couldn't leave that o
Mayim de Vries
”The grandkids wouldn’t believe a word of our stories but they’d fight anybody who didn’t agree that we told the most exciting lies in the world.”

“Silver Spike” is a chronicle written down by Case (Philodendron Case, to be precise), a young soldier who is a friend of Raven. It describes the fates of those members of the Black Company who are trying to find the artefact in which the evil essence of the defeated Dominator was deposed. Their fates are intertwined with a group of cut-throats. We als
Eilonwy

There wasn't no place in the world you could put that silver spike that somebody couldn't get it back from except maybe if you dropped it in the deepest part of the ocean. And that probably wouldn't do the job neither. Some damned fish would probably gulp it down before it sunk ten feet, then the fish would beach itself or get hooked by some goddamned fisherman with a hidden talent for sorcery and a secret lust for conquest. That's the nature of evil talismans.

What happens when the greatest
Markus
Buddy read with Athena & Gavin August 27th!

When the Black Company marched south in a quest for its origins, there were those who chose to stay behind in the northern empire. When a gang of petty criminals get their hands on the Silver Spike, holding the essence of the Dominator, all hell breaks loose as all the wizards in the north with the slightest desire for power attempts to get their hands on the spike and the dark magic within it.

The Silver Spike was definitely the weakest book in the Blac
Gavin
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Dominator may be dead but the evil essence of his power lingers on trapped in the Silver Spike. The spike is a rich prize for those that covet such a powerful artifact and it's not to long before it is liberated from its prison, in the young sapling tree God, by an enterprising group of thieves. This book follows the thieves as the try to sell their prize to the highest bidder, and Darling and her White Rose companions as the try to return it to a secure resting place.

Sadly, this was the wor
Caro the Helmet Lady
What I learned from this book:
- potatoes grow everywhere, even in the fantasy lands with talking rocks, and it's great! If I won't conquer Avalon (or else) I will know what to do next, at least.
- sign language is so easy to learn, everybody should try it and they should probably teach it at school instead of English. :P
- you can be a simple peasant girl with rather manly looks, but if you've got that "something" men will be happy to die for you, to deal with scary stinky creatures, talking rock
Milda Page Runner
Supposedly the weakest part of the Books of The South yet I really enjoyed it.
Tells us the story of the group that split up from the Black Company after the events in the Burrowland - Darling, Silent, Raven and Case. The narrator is Case and I really liked his voice. Possibly even more than Croaker's. (don't judge me -.-) He is less educated and his language is simpler, on a plus side he is less romantic and more sarcastic, funny. His humour surprised me and made me laugh out loud in the most in
Eric
"I've been thinking, Case," Raven said as we came down off the knee of the most northerly of those goofy humped hills, headed northeast, chasing that drifting windwhale fragment.

"Brooding is the word I would have picked, old buddy. And you been at it since the day they finally put the Dominator down. Looks like that explosion a while back was the last one."

The fragment was drifting on a course that would intercept ours. A few fires flickered on one end. It was turning end for end slowly but had
Maria Dimitrova
Actual rating: 2.5

To be honest I spaced out during most of the book. There was too much build up to the final confrontation and I always dislike that. The lack of Croacker is another thing that worked against it. But hey at least there was Raven. Who acted like a love sick moron. *sigh* Why did he turn out this way? He had so much potential. Now I just feel pity for him.

The main story again deals with the Dominator and what utter evil he is and how bad it will be if his spirit is set free. And
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
It pains me to say, but while I loved Cook's other books, I can only really recommend the Silver Spike if you absolutely want to know what happens to Raven, the White Rose and Silent after the events of the third book.
The reasons why this was the weakest book in the series for me were that the story was repetitive, the writing lacked the humor of the other books and I found the characters (even those I loved in the first two books, namely Raven) unlikeable.
On to the next.
Silvana
Whoa, this book is even brutal than the first trilogy. The book started slow, just like the Black Company (first novel) but it picked up the pace for me after halfway.

I might not like one POV (the thieves) but the rest were enjoyable. Indeed at first, the absence of Croaker was really palpable and I really missed him, but Case (the main POV) was not that bad (there were some minor character development at least) and Toadkiller Dog, oh I just loooove his POV.

Another I liked is that the book dis
Mark
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with my new pals Sarah and Elena, with wisdom and guidance from Evgeny.

The biggest strike against this book is that it is a Black Company novel that doesn’t feature most of the prominent characters from the previous installments in the series. Marketed as a spin-off (technically numbered 3.5 in the series), it nonetheless carries the weight of books like the amazing The White Rose on its shoulders.

Overall, this is not a bad novel. It is a fun read filled with the same adventure, dar
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
2.5 Stars

Mmm. Not The Black Company I have become used to. I did enjoy some of it, but mostly a disappointment for me.
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-dark
This is sort of a side story in the Black Company Chronicles, departing from the larger story line that has been occurring thus far. Goodreads has it listed as number 3.5 which tends to imply a short story or novella that has been tacked on afterwards to fill in a blank area or cash in on the success of the series. But this is a full-length novel and is simply a story of events that are occurring separately from the main plot line.

Like most Black Company novels, there are several points-of-view
Athena Shardbearer

Hmmm..I didn't love it. This has to be the weakest of the entire series. I went in wanting answers from Raven and didn't get them...or at least the ones I wanted. Darling wasn't that interesting and I just wanted to get this book over with. I hope the next in the series is good. I miss Croaker, The Lady, One-Eye and Goblin! I want them back!!!
Nate
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is probably one of the lesser lights in the Black Company saga, Cook is a gifted enough writer to always keep me enjoying the story. In a genre that tends often tends to the stale he really is a unique voice writing unique stories. The Silver Spike starts right after the momentous events of The White Rose, hanging around the same area with some of the same characters while the actual Black Company heads south and thusly out of this book. I can guarantee that every fan of the Com ...more
Christopher
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sadra Khalaf
For a book that was supposed to serve as a spin off, it was good although a bit less than the North trilogy.
The absence of the croaker as a central figure of the previous books was visible enough.
The booked used a similar style of different point of views and was easy to read.
Sadly some of the known characters said goodbye to the series.
Definitely gonna continue the series.
Robin Wiley
"I told myself it had been an exiting past year and now it was time to die."
- Case

For Book Six, we return to the Barrowlands (from Book Three), where evil just won't stay buried. After parting ways with Croaker and Company at the end of that book, Darling and company now have to return to wipe up the mess.

I started off pouting and protesting. In Book Five, we had just left Lady and Company back in the south, not necessarily on a cliff hanger, but certainly with a fat ton of unfinished business.
Bogdan
This was quite the disappointment because the whole story feels recycled and made in the mirror of the last one.

Eventually I found out that this is the number 3.5 in the reading order and it wasn`t so needy to read this at all.

Oh, well, it really feels that the book was made at the pression of the publisher to get something on the market, anything at all.

The writing it`s in the same tone, nicely done, but withouth the black humor and with the repetitive story all that`s good here feels quite rui
Kevin Findley
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, glen-cook
I know that a lot of fans of this series really hate this book and some even try to ignore it. To me, it wrapped up the tale perfectly of a character I always thought was a hanger-on to the Black Company; Raven.

Yes, he saved darn near everyone at some point in the first story arc, but every task could have been handled by members of the Company itself. I won't say I'm glad he's dead, but I won't miss him.

Despite all that, this was a fitting entry into the Black Company's world and any fan of t
Andreas
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, fantasy, reviewed
This series definitively has got a starting problem in each book. The previous books needed 50 pages each to draw me in and made that up quite good.
It is different with this one, where I even started skipping pages after 100 pages - which I normally wouldn't do - the story was plain boring at times and I didn't have the feeling that I missed anything by skipping a few pages here and there.

Once again, Cook flips from sending his characters 1000s of miles from here to there every couple of pages.
Joel Flank
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Silver Spike isn't technically a novel of the Black Company, but it is a novel of the aftermath of the Black Company, and features several former Black Company members and enemies. That in no way detracts from it being a great fun read. After finally defeating the Dominator from being reborn, the evil of his soul is bound in an enchanted silver spike, which is embedded in the sapling offspring of a tree god, and left in the remote wilderness. Unfortunately, that's not enough to stop human na ...more
Ian Jordaan
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great end to a trilogy! This book was by far the best one in the trilogy. The pacing was a lot tighter than the previous two, with a lot more action and magic. Funnily, this one can acually be read directly after where the last book of the first trilogy (the White Rose) left off, due to the company splitting in that book.

Whereas the first two books felt more like a slog for me, this one saw mr Cook return to form imo.

A worthwhile read!
Teresa Coffey
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Silver Spike is the fourth book in the Black Company series by Glen Cook. Many consider this book to be an outrider story, a spin-off book rather than a continuation of the story line established in the first two books. It picks up the story of Raven and Darling after the events of Shadows Linger.

Like Shadows Linger and The White Rose, The Silver Spike is told in a combination of third person POV and the first person POV of the character Philodendron Case. The Silver Spike is crime caper st
Ashley
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silver Spike follows Darling, Raven, Case, and Silent, and what happens to them after the battle at the Barrowlands. You also get to follow Toadkiller Dog as well as the Wicker Man (identity unknown at the beginning). Other than being able to find out what happened to Darling, Raven, and Silent, the book wasn’t that good.

The book is mainly written in the point-of-view of Case, who was a companion to Raven when he was in hiding in of of the other books. You don’t get to know him too well unti
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fall of Light (The Kharkanas Trilogy, #2)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need, #1)
  • The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3)
  • The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2)
  • Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • The Seven (The Vagrant, #3)
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Assail (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #6)
  • The Lees of Laughter's End (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #3)
  • The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane
  • Half a War (Shattered Sea, #3)
  • Skullsworn (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #4)
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions
  • Orb Sceptre Throne (Novels of the Malazan Empire #4)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • The Fortress of the Pearl (The Elric Saga, #8)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more

The Chronicles of the Black Company (10 books)
  • The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
  • Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #2)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • Shadow Games (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #4)
  • Dreams of Steel (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #5)
  • Bleak Seasons (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #6)
  • She is the Darkness (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #7)
  • Water Sleeps (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #8)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9)
  • A Pitiless Rain (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #10)