Start by marking “Shape Capers” as Want to Read:

Squares

Triangles

Semicircles

Rectangles

What can you do with them? Anything! Everything! The only limit is your imagination.

Come on! Let's go on a shape caper!

Published September 1st 2007 by HarperCollins (first published August 21st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shape Capers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shape Capers

Miss Sarah
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
can't wait to do this one with my toddlers. I can see them shaking now as we pull shapes from a bin. Five shapes are introduced in a fun way and then their uses are explained. Toddler and up.
Bonnie Ferrante
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mark Collins’ greatest talent lies in his illustrations. The cartoonish exaggeration will make children laugh out loud. It is the first day of holidays, and Ben is going to make the most of it. He rides his bike, hunts for sharks, paints a picture, jumps in puddles, and does far, far more. The little boy’s exuberance and delight with his experiences is clearly apparent on every page. His gentle enthusiasm for life is contagious.

The story is more of an anecdote than a plot. Ben is happy that it i
Carrie
Peanut
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, colors
MOMMY: This rating was tricky in that I thought the book was good but Peanut absolutely loved it. So we settled squarely in the middle. His love of this book and motivation to read it makes the 4 stars more than fair. Simple (if not slightly outdated) illustrations show different shapes. The colors are primary and the characters themselves in black and white. I think this would be a good book for little ones because of the bold pictures and rhyming text. Each spread focuses on a different shape ...more
Kelsey
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Children shake a box of shapes. Each time a new shape comes out the box. The children describe the shape and do different movements with the shape. At the end, they build new things out the shape. Finally, the book asks children to count the different shapes on a page. The last page suggests children cut out their own shapes and make pictures. The book provides consistent verse and vocabulary about different kinds of shapes. I thought the shapes chosen were odd. For example, the book features a ...more
Rosa
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A group of kids display various shapes and how they can become other things. This can definitely be used for story time if I have the kids identify the shapes. When we get to pages where shapes make objects we can ask them what they see. The art style is very geometric which works and also very bright and colorful.
Caroline
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Used this one for a storytime on shapes.

Introduces different shapes individually (circle, square, triangle, semicircle, rectangle) and then shows different ways to combine them to make other things.

Good for introducing each shape but I like "The Shape of Things" by Dayle Ann Dodds better for combining shapes.
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool - 1st Grade
Letter Knowledge isn't just about ABC's. Shape recognition is the beginning! This is great book to discuss shapes and use one’s imagination to create objects with shapes.

Early Literacy Skills:

Letter Knowledge
Print Awareness
Andrew Perry
This doesn't really have a story/plot it simply introduces different shapes to the reader. This book would be good for a math lesson on shapes and how everything is made of objects of different shapes.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
Dec 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: shapes
This book is about different shapes. The book talks about triangle, circle, semicircle square, and rectangles. We can use the shapes to make different things like rectangles can make ladders and semicircle can make boats. The shapes can be put together and make one big item.
The Library Lady
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A terrific little concept book for teachers and parents wanting something about shapes. This reads well and kids will have fun looking at the pictures and seeing all the ways they can play with shapes.
Holly
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those looking for a good book to teach children about shapes
One of my son's super-favorite bedtime books. The rhymes present the shapes in a captivating way. The way the illustrations utilize each shape to create entire scenes is impressive and engaging.
Natalie
I'm needing to expand beyond letters, colors, and numbers in my stortimes... this would be good to use with preschoolers.
Jennifer Heise
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: beekman, math
A little longer and with more characters than the author's Shake A Shape, this volume has the same exuberance and charming blocky colors. A great choice for classroom use with fours and up.
Jennifer Mason