Start by marking “The Edge of the Water (Whidbey Island Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of the Water (Whidbey Island Saga, #2)

The Edge of the Water

(Whidbey Island Saga #2)

A mysterious girl who won’t speak; a coal black seal named Nera that returns to the same place very year; a bitter feud of unknown origin—strange things are happening on Whidbey Island, and Becca King, is drawn into the maelstrom of events.

But Becca, first met in The Edge of Nowhere, has her own secrets to hide. Still on the run from her criminal stepfather,  Becca is liv
Published March 11th 2014 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of the Water

Mitchell
Okay there were definitely flaws in this one. But it was such a joy to have a quick fast paced read. Part of that is because it's a book two and there's no reason to set the scene. And part of it because it's a book 2 but it's not just a longer version of book 1. Obviously there's a selkie in this one, which is pretty clear from almost page one. And there's more than one pov character. And lots of confusion. And there's change and growth and it didn't have to continue in the obvious path with Be ...more
Maisy_Day23
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how the author gave different point of views throughout the entire story. That way readers can get a look at what's going on in the lives of the other characters instead of just the main one.

I didn't expect the twist of Jenn's thoughts and emotions on her sexuality, but I think it touched the book in a thoughtful and diverse way.

Annie though, gosh! What the heck is wrong with that girl?! She is all sorts of messed up in the head. If I didn't know better, I would say that she got fumed wit
adithi
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, trash
ew
Anna Bubolz
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Review
I liked this book overall. If there was one thing I'd change it would have more action. I knew that Becca and Jen would become friends in the first book because you can't possibly hate someone that much for no apartment reason. I was also pleased to find out that Becca did tell Diana about her whispers.

Plot
The plot of this book was about Nera. Nera is a jet black seal. It comes to Whidbey Island every year and this year is special because a marine biologist is trying to figure out what N
Melissa Chung
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Omg I finally finished... I started this book in July 2014 and had it sitting on my desk forever unfinished. I never really could get into it. Today I put my foot down. I stayed up until 3 in the morning to finish it too.

I'm giving this sequel 2 stars. In the first book 'The Edge of Nowhere', we meet Becca a 15 year old girl from San Diego. We find out Becca's step father has killed his business partner. So Becca and her mom make a run for it. Fear that they will be killed as well. In their hast
Melanie
Steve Wilson
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a book received through Goodreads First reads.

This novel appears directed to a young adult market and I would describe it best as a mystery novel which operates at several levels. While the main mystery and story line revolves around an unusual seal (NERA)who shows up annually at a small coastal line, mysteries and secrets are also part of the make up of each of the main characters involved in the book.

The strength of the book lies in its character development and witty dialogue. The st
Linda
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This little series by Elizabeth George is one of my summer guilty pleasures. While the writing isn't as good as in some of her other books, I enjoy the odd abilities of Becca (she can hear the whispers we think in our heads) and Diana Kinsale (she touches people and has visions). And Jenn has really come into her own, too! Without giving too much away, the novel is set on an island off the Washington state coast, where Becca uses her unusual talents (as well as the library and her brain) to disc ...more
Sandra
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Elizabeth George's YA books have left me disappointed. I am a big fan of her adult mysteries, but it seems like she is trying too hard to break into the YA market by hitting all the teen check boxes, i.e. mind reading, fantasy, young love angst, bully become friend, oh, let's though in a little mythology in there too. It's too much. She should of just stayed with the straight mystery.
Anne
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
If I hadn't won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway, I don't think I would have read it. I must say it was very disappointing.
The overall plot of this novel was messy and it felt like it was out of place and irrelevant.
I don't even know where to begin on the characters...I guess I just didn't find them interesting at all.
Sharneel
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Being an avid Elizabeth George fan, I was stunned to read this book. I would never have thought she was the author of this book. The characters are not nearly as well drawn and seem to lack depth. The storyline is very YA in nature and more than a bit superficial. What a disappointment.
Jenny Geeroms
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although the first book was okay and realistic, this one is really far-streched and completely exaggerated. Absurd even!
Lindsey
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the novel, The Edge of the Water. Honestly, to simply tell what it is about would not do it justice. Umm, so these teens live on this island in the Northwest, and there is this seal that keeps visiting every year. The whole town is obsessed with the seal. Some want to protect it at all costs, some want to kill it, and some want to exploit it.

This type of plot is normally not my cup of tea (I mean seals??), but throw in a love triangle, a poor girl trying to find her way out of
Debra Daniels-zeller
I had to throw the towel in on this second book in the author's young adult Whidbey Island series. Maybe it's me but it seemed like characters were stereotypes and the dialogue felt forced. Would Jenn, a poor girl really set up an obstacle course that included a toilet seat? Also I didn't get why this book started first with the seal Cilla and then with Jenn McDaniels and not Becca King the protagonist of the first book in this series. Becca didn't appear until chapter 3. Also it felt like too m ...more
Kristi Lamont
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book/am enjoying this series. That said, I want to complain about how a certain _major_ plot point was dealt with outside of/in between books one and two. But I can't do so without spoiling things for everyone else. Nor can I point out to myself and others how ridiculous it is that I would get so annoyed by something like that while on the other hand totally accepting the (nearly) unbelievable as so wonderfully depicted by Ms George. I wonder what surprises she has in store f ...more
Mia
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
What the hell did I just read?
And apparently the world is full of adults who are totally okay with a homeless teenager. And from the last book, a truant homeless teenager. This book was kind of a series of side stories about other characters and a seal. Becca was hardly the main character. How has she been abandoned by her mother for 6 months and isn’t concerned? Merely lonely?
Also, the author seems determined to give her readers body weight issues. All the main character does is talk about how
Diane
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I have never read anything by this author and did enjoy the book. The characters were well developed and you did get to know them. In my case to the point of really disliking one or two, liking a few and being intrigued by others.

The myth of Nera, the black seal, is at the center of the story but it does delve into the lives of the main characters to an extent which always makes for a better read.
Emily
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I, again, really enjoyed the coming of age part of this book, but the "magical" bits were too much for me this time. The first book didn't have as many, and I liked it more for that. I still am interested in reading the rest of the series, but only if they take out the extra strange magic bits.
Cassie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Why is this so much about sex with only a side of paranormal? Sigh :( Not as young-adulty as I was expecting although there was plenty of angst. It was alright, very mysterious, I still plan on reading the next one out of curiosity so I guess that speaks for itself. also, (view spoiler)
Ellen Notbohm
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully atmospheric Pacific Northwest setting. Four stars because the paranormal element came late in the book and was too fleeting. I found myself rethinking the story in my imagination, had the mythology been woven through more of the book. For me, it would have added richness and connection, but George is a great author and this is a gritty and compelling story.
Dana
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it

At first I wasn't too sure about this book. There was quite a bit of teen angst which is something that I normally don't like, but it was handled very well. I liked how we got good insight and development for several characters. The author then brought them together and finished the story on a strong note. I am looking forward to the next book.
Jessica Burgess
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong I loved the book and the character development is just phenomenal; I just don't really understand why the whole book revolved around a seal. I thought the series was about Becca, not the secrets of the island.
Susan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second of a series of young adult novels that are set on Whidbey Island. The story deals with themes that would be more of interest to a younger reader but I enjoy picturing the sites on Whidbey that I recognize now that I am spending more time there.
Cheryl
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Elizabeth George's adult books, so I picked this up out of curiosity. Obviously very different from her other novels that I was used to reading, and she skillfully weaves a tale of relationships and supernatural events and powers that is more complex and indepth than most YA novels.
Susan Harris
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

I've been a fan of the Detective Lynley series for years. I lucked into the Whidbey Island Saga and have been enjoying the characters and Elizabeth George's writing style.
Patricia Torregrossa
Unusual for me started with the second book. will start the first book tonight. I like Elizabeth George's book with Lynley and Barbara very much, waiting to give a final rating with this YA book series.
Tiffany
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Grade 7 and up. Bullying is a theme in this one.
Tammy
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA or teen fiction
Shelves: 3-stars, donated
I wouldn't have bought this book if I had known it was a teen novel. That said it wasn't bad even managed to surprise me.
Rachel
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series and looking forward to the next two books.
Donne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite slow at points but I love these characters and the relationships they have with each other! Jenn is my precious little baby, I love her so much.❤ ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Not Your Ordinary Wolf Girl
  • Der Fluch (Das Tal Season 2, #1)
  • The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2)
  • The Slanted Worlds (Chronoptika, #2)
  • The Quirks: Welcome to Normal
  • This Side of Jealousy (The Innocents, #2)
  • My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush
  • Everybody Knows Your Name
  • Through Dead Eyes
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Simple Wicca
  • King Of Swords (Max Mingus, #2)
  • Edda: A Little Valkyrie's First Day of School

Susan Elizabeth George is an American author of mystery novels set in Great Britain. Eleven of her novels, featuring her character Inspector Lynley, have been adapted for television by the BBC as The Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

She was born in Warren, Ohio, but moved to the S

Whidbey Island Saga (4 books)
  • The Edge of Nowhere (Whidbey Island Saga, #1)
  • The Edge of the Shadows (Whidbey Island Saga, #3)
  • The Edge of the Light (Whidbey Island Saga, #4)