Start by marking “Ninja Red Riding Hood” as Want to Read:
Ninja Red Riding Hood

Ninja Red Riding Hood

Companion to the hit The Three Ninja Pigs, this fractured fairy tale is a sure-fire storytime hit.

Wolf just can’t catch a break! Ever since the three little pigs started teaching everyone Ninja skills, huffing and puffing just hasn’t been enough to scare up a good meal.

His craving for meat sends Wolf to classes at the dojo, and soon he’s ready to try out his new m
Published July 10th 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ninja Red Riding Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ninja Red Riding Hood

Start your review of Ninja Red Riding Hood
Calista
This is the story of Little Red Riding Hood set in Japan with martial arts at the heart of the story. It is told in rhyming verse and it’s funny. You know what to expect and Corey gives some good twists along the way. The ninja stuff is cool too.

The Wolf keeps being beaten up by small creatures who know martial arts so he enrolls in martial arts school and learns some moves to get food. He finds Red on a path to her grannies and we know this story. Granny is not at her house, she was
Klinta
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my friend's daughter, but obviously was very eager to read it myself.

The images were very good and the text, although short, was funny, besides it rhymed, which makes me believe that it will do good in learning the language and speaking, while her mum and dad will have a laugh reading this.

I do find that it might be a bit more for older children, who understand the ninja words used, but I hope that with some explanations it will be a good read. Also these ninja series se
Sylvia
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The master of the fractured fairy tale does it again. Corey Rosen Schwartz has written another delightful, witty, and funny story, this time about a big bad wolf who only wants to feed himself but who keeps "getting licked by the dinner he picked."

After mastering some ninja moves and doing the granny-switch trick, the wolf thinks he's ready but, alas for him, his adversary, Ninja Red Riding Hood, turns out to be a martial artist as well.

This story is told in wonderful and
Margie
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh...my...goodness...this is fantastic. How lucky am I to have received an F & G? A review will be coming.

Some villains simply can't take a hint. Faced with defeat they retreat only to come back for more. They cave to their cravings; especially if it involves meat. One could say they never really learn; or do they?

Such is the case with the wily wolf that faced the proficient porkers in The Three Ninja Pigs (G. P. Putnam's Sons, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.,
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A must have fractured fairy tale. This book is fantastic and has it all! Plenty of laughs, action and is a great story kids of all ages will enjoy.

Who knew the Little Red, her Grandmother and the Wolf were ninjas? In this laugh out loud version they are. Unlike the original Little Red Riding, this Red evenly matches the Wolf. That is until her Gran arrives, and the two of them out match the Wolf. Don't worry, this Wolf learns a lesson and gets his own happy ending.

We loved this book! Ninja Red
Sherry
Aug 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I usually gravitate towards what looks like a 'fun' read; this title did not pass the 'pushing an agenda' sniff test. Although Red seems to have come into her own with empowerment, to push and hold another down until they agree to your specified belief, appears very negative to this reader. Although this opinion may seem a little persnickety, I've come across too many titles as of late that instead of opening up the world of diversity, culture and imagination, in actuality shows and encourages ...more
Maggie Mattmiller
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I may not like this quite as much as the Ninja Pigs, but I still LOVED it! My students will get a kick out of this twist on the classic fairy tale! The rhymes are great, illustrations great, and the storyline as well- great great great! I really enjoyed it!
Michele Knott
I think the Ninja series gets better as they go! Laugh out loud and love how each character one ups the other. My favorite line "His belly was aching' for bacon."
Mallory Hoffman
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zoey-spencer
Zoey is mesmerized by this fractured fairy tale. I love the rhyming story as much as she does and the awesome way that Gran and Red defeat the wolf. An excellent read-aloud.
Paige Spicer
Sep 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: edrd-314
The pictures were brilliant but the last two pages were extremely disappointing. I felt like they really ruined the story.
Nadia
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I acquired an unbound copy via my school.... This was such a good book especially if your child loves Karate/Ju Jitsu. it rhymes too!
Carmen
1."Im going to read you a page from this book called "Ninja Red Riding Hood" and after I am done reading well talk about how it relates to little red riding hood. "Soon after, he heard someone knocking. He called out, "My dear, come on in. Oh dont you look good, in your lovely red hood, but a shame that youve gotten so thin." "So what does this page remind you of? Does it remind you of a book you read before?" [children respond] "Yes it is like the story little red riding hood! Lets see what dif ...more
Arminzerella
Nina
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-award
"Has anyone ever heard of the story of The Little Red Riding Hood? That was a popular story read to me when I was about your age. In fact, it was one of my favorites! Let's take a seat and listen to this exciting new twist to the classic tale, and be sure to listen to similarities between the old version and this newer version!"
-Share a personal connection you have with the text
-Prompt the listeners to notice details
Mary Briggs
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brill version of this traditional tale.
Alexa Marshall
1) How many of you have read the fairy tale, "Little Red Riding Hood"? I hope all of you have your hands raised because we read it yesterday! Today, we are going to read a different version of "Little Red Riding Hood" called "Ninja Red Riding Hood". Let's look at the illustrations on the front cover. Does Red Riding Hood or the Wolf look any different than in the versions you have read before? What seems different just in the illustration on the cover? While we're reading, I want you to try to r ...more
RLL220_Amanda Alvarado
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional_lit
Ninja Red Riding Hood was amazing! The book shows children that no matter what gender you are you anyone can learn how to do karate. This book will welcome boys into liking fairy tales as well. Teachers can read this book to 1st graders and show them how important it is that even bad guys could change if they tried. Teachers could make this into a activity and have students read different fairy tales. The students could see if they could change the villains into good guys. The illustrations in t ...more
Set
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought the story was cute but it defeats the purpose of the lesson with the archetypes in the original story. I think the moral of the story is to learn to defend yourself but reality is that it doesn't matter how much martial arts you learn, a "wolf" can get you if it wants. Little girls and boys shouldn't speak to strangers or stray for the path with distractions, they should run to strong male protectors for help because granny couldn't even help herself in the original. Where I work, chil ...more
Julian
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ninja Red Riding Hood, a spin-off of the original fairy tale little red hiding hood, takes a new action packed turn for the best. The big bad wolf who is always hungry, hones his skills by attending a ninja school to hunt his prey. With his new found mastery in fighting he goes to a house to find no one there, but shortly is caught by the red riding hood. This red riding hood is also trained as a ninja, so they fight!

This story depicts main characters from the story we all know but t
Beverly
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have a problem with picture books that try to turn carnivores into vegetarians--it's just not natural. Loved Santat's illustrations, though.
Christyn
It…wasn't what I was expecting. Ninja Red Riding Hood certainly started out as an unexpected and delightful twist on an old classic and I really enjoyed it - up on till the end. I've no doubt that this will be popular with people but the wolf (view spoiler) ...more
Michelle
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know those reviews that say "If you love X, then you will love this book"?
Well, I have a lot of X's to put in there about Ninja Red, by Corey Rosen Schwartz

If you love The Three Ninja Pigs, then you will love Ninja Red.
If you love strong female characters, then you will love Ninja Red.
If you love stories that depict loving intergenerational relationships, then you will love Ninja Red.
If you are a vegetarian or love someone who is, then you will love Ninja
Heidi
I absolutely loved this take on the Red Riding Hood story. One almost feels compassion for the wolf, which is definitely a funny twist. If you have read The Three Ninja Pigs then you know going in that the wolf is bound to be in over his head despite his efforts to develop his skills. Seeing the wolf in a blond wig and glasses in order to sneak into the ninja classes is worth the price of the book alone. But when he has to face off with Red it appears they are evenly matched leaving the reader w ...more
Julee
Ninja Red Riding Hood is the companion book to the fabulous The Three Ninja Pigs. In this rhyming, fractured fairytale the wolf has taken to training up his ninja skills and prepares to take Red by surprise but he encounters real girl power in the form of Red and her granny. Once again the wolf's desire for a taste of pork is thwarted and he must become a vegetarian, yoga taking wolf.

I received an F&G from the author and some links to very useful teacher guides and activities.
Josie B.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4s-5s
“G” is for Grandma and gi in this martial arts inspired, fractured fairy tale. I shared it in my 3-5 year old storytime this week, and the children were fascinated. One boy crept up during a pivotal scene to say in a stage whisper “Miss Josie, I am taking karate!” I paired this with Petr Horáček’s “Look out, Suzy Goose”, but it could also be paired with Jane Cabrara’s “There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe” for a resilient Grandma themed storytime.
Jermal Harvey
i taught that this book is amazing a lot of action this is a telly cool book and i cant wait to read more red riding hood books.

this book is really interesting i cant wait to read the 3 ninja pigs that has the same wolf.

this blew my mind so bad i want to read this book over and over and over again.
RLL22016_Sandra Trujillo
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: traditional
This book really surprised me, definitly not what I was expecting. This twist of tale has the villan wolf a good scared of the ninja girl. I think children would like the book since the plot is set of the ninja winning over the wolf. However I was taken back by the ending, But definitly can say I like the traditional version instead.
Mary
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I think I'd give this book 6 stars if I could. It's wonderful. The rhyming story is amazingly clever and the illustrations are marvelous! A ninja twist on the traditional story, with a great ending. An absolute must - and you don't even have to be going through a ninja phase!!!
Heather
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Yes! Yes! Yes! Chock full of girl (and granny) power, but fun for all genders, this action-packed retelling of Red Riding Hood has bold illustrations, perfectly-chosen vocabulary, and a rollicking rhyme scheme. Most highly recommended.
Robin
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood, told in verse and with ninja-skills?! Excellent! Would love to read this one at a storytime. In the meantime, I will be putting it in the hands of anyone who loves a fun-filled picture book!

• Ian's Walk: A Story about Autism
  • The Memory String
  • When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson
  • The Invisible Boy
  • The Man Who Walked Between the Towers
  • When I Was Young in the Mountains
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Carnivores
  • Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten!
  • Viva Frida
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • The Three Little Superpigs
  • Grace for President
Corey is the author of HOP! PLOP! (Walker, 2006), THE THREE NINJA PIGS (Putnam, 2012) GOLDI ROCKS AND THE THREE BEARS (Putnam, forthcoming) and NINJA RED (Putnam, forthcoming). Corey has no formal ninja training, but she sure can kick butt in Scrabble. She lives with three Knuckleheads in Warren, NJ.