Start by marking “Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications” as Want to Read:
Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications

Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications

Discrete Mathematics and its Applications is a focused introduction to the primary themes in a discrete mathematics course, as introduced through extensive applications, expansive discussion, and detailed exercise sets. These themes include mathematical reasoning, combinatorial analysis, discrete structures, algorithmic thinking, and enhanced problem-solving skills through ...more
Published September 9th 2002 by McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math (first published April 1st 2000)

Start your review of Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
Erik
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm convinced that math gurus are incapable of teaching math.

Whenever I encounter math textbooks like this one, I'm reminded of Underpants Gnomes on South Park. For the unwashed: Underpants Gnomes stole underwear from the residents of South Park hoping that they'd profit from the thefts, but although their business plan included a Phase 1 ("Steal underwear") and a Phase 3 ("Make a profit"), Phase 2—the connective tissue—was just "?".

Rosen and others like him fail to grasp how much "?" connectiv
Headsink headsink
Half a decade of my life dedicated to this.
Eli
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: non-mathematicians
tl;dr

If you open the book without a lot of theoretical math background, you'll have a good time with this book. It's written for computer scientists, so doesn't go heavy on the proofs and exact arguments, definitions, theorems, results, etc., but it makes itself relevant with many examples of how conepts are applied in CS.

Math people will probably be frustrated at the lack of depth, verbose yet fuzzy explanations, and redundant examples. You'll probably want something more concise.

Liked:

- (Usu
Pedro Montoto
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Best book on theoretic and Computer Science-applied mathematics. Period.
Jake
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I used this text for my discrete math course. We covered six chapters and it was quite thorough. my major complaint with it is that Rosen can be portentous sometimes with his examples. He knows he knows this subject well and he wants to impress you all the time.

I think I will keep learning from the book and I would say all in all it's a good textbook. I really want to know more about discrete probability sooner rather than later.
L Mayfield
i am of the thinking that a math book must have full example for complete comprehension of it's content
Dragify
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
The best textbook found for Discrete Mathematics Course and a suggested textbook for Innopolis University Students.
Oscar
The instances in which I was not very satisfied with this book have been very, very little so far. Or perhaps there was never one of them.

Quite frankly, differently from what I heard from several other reviews, I never had particular issues at either reading or following this book, except for the not uncommon overtime sometimes needed for finishing some of the exercises.
Parsa
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
read through most of this the past month. The book has 13 chapters and, There are better books describing each chapter(algorithms being a clear example). However, if you are short on time or money, or just want a good introduction to each topic before you explore them at full length later, this book will do. There is nothing really "bad" about this book. but at the same time, there is nothing incredible or special either. The applications, although certainty not bad, are far too simplified or s ...more
Samuel Gompers
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Discrete Mathematics is a field of study integral to the Computer Sciences. It lays the foundations for mathematical thinking in its coverage of proofs, it dives into relevant aspects of application ranging from recursive algorithm structure to modelling networks and efficient systems architecture for modern computing.

It was a fascinating read half of the chapters and performed many of the exercises. I found myself more confident in my reasoning skills and also a more rounded citizen of the worl
Joey Andres
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book should be the computer science standard for introductory to formal logic. It is easy to follow and ALOT of exercises to really create thicken those neural path in your head. Although, Calculus is not a prerequisite for this book, I still recommend having a concrete understanding of limits, differentiation, and integrals to really extract the most out of the exercises. After all, some important topics are also discussed in exercises.
Nathan
Dec 24, 2014 added it
Go to textbook for Discrete Math
Brandon Stumpf
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: college
While this book is dense, I absolutely love the examples and applications Rosen covers. We covered chapters 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 13 for my Discrete Mathematics class, and wow there are some interesting topics covered in this book. Rosen has many examples, sometimes a few too many (20+ examples for one section is quite a lot), but many examples are interesting and help with homework. The algorithm and modeling computation chapters won't make much sense unless you have a computer science backgro ...more
Yiğit
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book with examples from contemporary times. The build up through the book is sustained with motivational examples and relevant references. As there are examples from various disciplines of computer science, it really helps you to draw parallels. A must read on this topic.
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book required me to supplement with other resources, but went far deeper than any others I found. At times, the author uses the phrase, "It is easy to see how ____," which often had me yelling at the book, "No, it's not!" but ultimately, I learned a great deal from this text.
Shahadat ক খ গ ঘ ঙ চ ছ জ ঝ ঞ, ট ঠ ড ঢ ণ ত থ দ ধ ন প ফ ব ভ ম য র ল ৰ শ,ষ স হ ড় ঢ় য় ং ঃ ঁ  Hossain আঅইঈউঊঋএঐওঔ
Yehudis Dick
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-own
I don't usually rate mathbooks, but as I begin my second descrete mathematics course with a crappy textbook, I am overwhelmed by love and appreciation for this facinating and easy to read textbook (complete with detailed solutions!) from yester-semester.
Dayton Outar
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Concepts of logic and the foundations of mathematics are communicated clearly. Excellent exercises with the solutions provided at the end of the book for each chapter. Nice book to reference every now and then when solving logic and math problems.
Solomaya Schwab
May 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
For the average student, this will do (it is especially well-suited for self-study). However, one thing that must be noted is the author's tendency to ramble. If you're looking for a concise reference book, this is not the one.
Katherine
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I studied Discrete Mathematics this year. This book helped me in my exams. Must read if you will study Computer Science.
Mai Huyền
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
hmm
Liam Sullivan
I've begun to take class notes with my non-dominant hand...
Huy Ngo
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning
The explanations are clear and there are various exercises which are useful for learning
Mostafa
Apr 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
Morgan Adams
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heavy read. The math notation slows me down a bit, but it's understandably necessary - it's math!
Raydan khalid
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ben Haley
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosen does a fine job of going over the mathematical underpinnings of computation theory. He begins with an exploration of logic and proceeds into basic algorithms, set theory, probability, counting problems, basic graph theory, and eventually the foundations of computing.

The best use of this book is as a primer to get one ready for the new vocabularies, symbol sets, and basic proofs that form the foundation of computer science, graph theory, number theory, and set theory. It feels as if this cl
Micheal
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
I bought this book as a university textbook and I have to say the author has done a great job. This was by far the best book for a beginner with a basic understanding of mathematics and programming. I think however that the first chapters were wordy and a bit boring ,however since the book is trying to give an introductory account of Discrete mathematics maybe there is a need to wordy sometimes. Overall I think even beginners would really like this book and I strongly recommend this book to them ...more
Yu Song
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Well written, an excellent beginner's course to discrete mathematics, however, not comparable to the classics such as 'concrete mathematics', 'an introduction to combinatorics'. But definately a good choice for beginners. I consider 'concrete mathematics' somewhat difficult for beginners and 'an introduction to combinatorics' more suitable for beginners who are interested in math puzzles and enjoy the fun of solving interesting combinatorial games.
Haneen
MTT202:Discrete Mathematics
Spring 2010-2011
SuTuTh 12-12:50 pm

This course was unbelievable...The first chapter is amazing and easy..I was doing very bad in the exams but at the end I was always getting the highest mark in the class, I don't know HOW????!!!
I hate the proof methods...It was really difficult and hard..
All my colleagues believe that it's an awful course where I don't..

logics 1 20 Mar 28, 2010 10:50AM

• A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
  • Clean Architecture
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Schaum's Outline of Discrete Mathematics (Schaum's Outline Series)
  • Abstract Algebra
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The C++ Programming Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Dr. Rosen received his B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
(1972), and his Ph.D. in Mathematics from M.LT. (1976).

Dr. Rosen has published numerous articles in professional journals in the areas of number theory and mathematical modeling. He is the author of the textbooks Elementary Number Theory and Its Applications, published by Addison-Wesley and currently in its fifth

News & Interviews