Start by marking “Deeper” as Want to Read:
Deeper

Deeper

We all know the story of the Little Mermaid. Cute mermaid rescues handsome prince, overcomes obstacles, lives happily ever after. But that's just a fairytale... What really happens a curious mer girl rescues a self-obsessed writer, alone in his lighthouse by the sea? What happens when you make a pact you can't go back on?
Published June 2nd 2013 by Amazon (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Deeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deeper

Dianne
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DEEPER WILL BE FREE AT AMAZON FROM JULY 7-11!

First, erase your mental image of The Little Mermaid. Is the slate clean? Put away the happy pastels and grab the bold, fierce and savage colors and get ready to re-color your view of mers and do NOT be afraid to go outside of the lines, just like author Jane Thomson did when she created Deeper! Mermaids, mermen, or” mers,” are not all cute and cuddly, they are a ferocious mammal who lives in the sea. Their pods respect power, they can be vicious, col
Shannon Heuston
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing and Thought Provoking

Fast paced tale about a mermaids willing to risk everything for the man she loves. Part fantasy, and part parable, this book is incredibly original and thought provoking.
Kaitie
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
right off the bat of starting this book i was captivated. Both by the writing style, which is poetic and flowing and written beautifully, as well as the contents and story line of the book. from the second that i picked up the book I could not stop reading or put it down. I can honestly say that this is one of the best and most interesting books that i have read this year. I received this novel from goodreads first reads.
Kat
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Immediately after reading:

Ha, I loved that ending. It's like, screw you, My life is much better now that you're dead and gone. You should've understood that being a mer is better than being a human.
Nick
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Throughly Enjoyable

This is a skewed, adult reimagining, and not a tale for the kiddies. Told in a unique manner, this story kept me engaged throughout. So much so that I finished it in one read. Highly recommended.
Charles
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently finished reading Deeper by Jane Thomson. This is the story of a mermaid (they're called mers) that wants to be human, so it's a retelling of 'The Little Mermaid'. That's where the similarities end.

There is an odd brutality to the book, which isn't shocking or grotesque. It comes off surprisingly casual and part of the world. Mer society does come off as survival of the fittest and primal at times with the characters biting and attacking each other. I didn't feel like I was reading abo
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Despite having seen Disney's version of The Little Mermaid, I do actually know the original version of the story - one that's much darker and sadder. This book was more like the original version, though there were a lot of differences.

I felt that there had clearly been a lot of work that went into building the culture of the mer. They were quite vicious, almost savage creatures - but, to
Gayle Line
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book was provided to me through First Reads. (Spoiler Alert).

Melur is a young mer (mermaid) who is rebellious and wants nothing more than to become human. Her mer society is richly depicted, a bit brutal despite the beauty of the sea. She saved a human from drowning, has fallen in love, and dreams of living with him as a woman. Grandmother, keeper of the spirits, feared and loathed by all, taunts the young mer but eventually grants her heart's desire- Melur gets legs.

Melur does swim to the
Carrie
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indies
I am not one to read books in the fantasy realm, of which I would include mermaids, but I had read this author's earlier novel (`A Warm Wind') and enjoyed it so much, I thought I would give `Deeper' a try. I'm so glad I did! Really great storytelling. But the book is no Disney's Little Mermaid. It is a darkly entertaining read about Melur, a mer who pines for the human world, not so much to inhabit it, but to experience it--anything to escape the oppressive environment of her sea life, a life ru ...more
Kayla
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-received
I’ll admit that I haven’t read any books about mermaids before. They haven’t ever been very interesting to me. I think Deeper might have changed that.

Within the first few pages of the book, I wasn’t sure if I was going to enjoy Thomson’s writing. There wasn’t anything in particular that made me feel this way, but I did. However, the feeling quickly passed and I enjoyed her writing throughout the book.

The story was well done. There were no boring parts or parts that felt unneeded. While I enjoyed
Barbara Mason

This was an Okay story with very limited dialogue. I found the first few chapters confusing but it straightened up later on in the book. Slightly interesting. Not one that I would read a second time.[[ASIN:B00D59O1W6 Deeper]]
Christiane
Jun 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very basic

I bought this book a while ago because I felt like reading something different. Then, somehow, I could not bring myself to start it because I suddenly had a hunch that it would probably be stupid and a waste of time.

I finally started reading it today and found that it is exactly that : a stupid, very badly written, waste of time.
Michelle & Tony
I got this book free from goodreads.
An interesting take on the mermaid legends. Not really my kind of thing, maybe aimed at a younger audience. I have passed this book on to my neice who is reading it at the moment.
Aimée
Laura Dobb
Melissa ownsbey
Barbara Zitsch
Ask a mermaid: Ask a Mermaid 8 18 Jul 11, 2013 05:11AM

• Beyond the Plains (World of Myth #1)
  • Indiscretion (Andalucian Nights, #1)
  • Tattoos
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Betrothed (Betrothed, #1)
  • Falling (Bits and Pieces #1)
  • Twisted Tales for Twisted Minds
  • Airs and Graces (Horsemistress Saga, #2)
  • Of Eternal Life (Operation: Middle of the Garden, #1)
  • Pressed Pennies
  • Witness to my Heart
  • A Taste of Trouble
  • Class of '59 (American Journey, #4)
  • The Blue Diamond (The Razor's Edge, #1)
  • Twice Cursed (Cursed by Blood, #2)
  • Found in Prague
  • Winter Sparrow
  • Snowflake Wishes (Echo Lake, #0.5)
Why do we write?
Because we have to. I've been writing since I was four ("Mum is very very booring!". She wasn't pleased.).
Apart from that seminal work, you can find more about my books at www.fallaciousrose.com/books. Who is Fallacious Rose? Well, that's me - but I've only recently begun to publish under that pen name, so you can still find books under my real name. This doesn't do much for my re