Start by marking “World War One: 1914-1918” as Want to Read:
World War One: 1914-1918

World War One: 1914-1918

"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our time."
-Sir Edward Grey, British Foreign Secretary

The First World War, also known as the Great War, involved over thirty nations and resulted in the deaths of millions of young men.  This stunning new book brings history to life as we see the war through the eyes of the young conscripted servic
Paperback, Campfire Graphic Novels, 132 pages
Published May 20th 2014 by Campfire (first published January 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about World War One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War One

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Pity of War by Niall FergusonThe Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav HašekStorm of Steel by Ernst JüngerBirdsong by Sebastian Faulks
WW I books
287 books — 160 voters
The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanBarefoot Gen, Volume One by Keiji NakazawaOnward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru MizukiGoddamn This War! by Jacques TardiIt Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques Tardi
War Comics
238 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of World War One: 1914-1918
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
Just re-read this book and damn, it is good! An interesting true story about WWI (a topic that I have great interest in). A very intense comic with interesting characters and the art is perfect for the story. The narrative is super well written and it’s one that would be educational for all ages (including adults though it might be too intense for some very young kids).
Highly recommended this!

5/5
Thomas Edmund
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel contains an excellent blend of historical narrative with devastating storytelling and equally intense artwork. The majority of the prose is a matter-of-fact explanation of World War, while character focussed drama is perhaps a little sparse. Still the piece is very powerful and really good for someone like me who perhaps doesn’t have time to devote to a lengthy doco or non-fiction novel but is more than happy to read a well penned graphic novel on the subject of the ‘Great’ War.
Robert Taub
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting summary of WWI from the perspective of a soldier. The author uses far too much cliche and trite humor, in my view; this diminishes the seriousness of the conditions and stresses lived by the soldiers. Still, it works well as a historical overview for readers unfamiliar with the history.

Anybody reading this should try to take a trip to Ypres (portrayed in the story) and the surrounding area of Belgium. It will be an unforgettable experience.
Arush Ul islam
A good brief history of World War I, deserves to read for once.
Noah B.
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderdul art and storyline. A great representation on the life lived during the time of World War one as well as the different machinery/weaponry that came during the time of war. It was interesting to find new facts on the war as I am a big history buff and love to always learn more about it. The art expresses in great detail the dark feel of the war and I couldn't be happier with it. Of course the book isnt perfect, I found it hard to keep the characters straight and would like to see more of ...more
Apratim Mukherjee
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a graphic history of the First World war,one of the bloodiest conflicts in history,as seen from the eyes of a British soldier.The graphics are amazing and the writing is good(not as amazing as the second world war series).The book covers unknown aspects First World War related to PTSD,problems of young recruits,falling empires etc.;but doesn't cover Treaty of Versailles(the seed of second world War),rise of Lenin,death of Princip,Gallipoli campaign and contribution of Asian soldiers.
Its
Chels Patterson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and moving way to learn WWI history. The pictures are well drawn and the script is fast past switching between interpersonal and factual. It does lack some detail but it’s a good jumping into book. I did a lot of wiki searches and googled a lot of what was spoken about to get a better understanding, such as what exactly was “strap to a gun” punishment. Good for all ages, but it’s defiantly overview and introductory.
Sheila Bracken
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is packed w/ information, great pictures, & the story of Joe & 16-yr-old George to show how common people, especially soldiers were impacted—physically & emotionally—by the war. Lesser known stories of minority troops, carrier pigeons, & dogs were compelling. I’m still working out the when and how I will use this in my classroom. ...more
Frankie Dunning
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The graphic novel World War One was a historical fiction book by Alan Cowsill. I would recommend this book to others if they needed to read a historical fiction book. I like how they told more of the story through the pictures more than the words so it told a story in a different way. I dont usually read historical fiction books but maybe I will again.
Brian
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwi
A good graphic novel about a soldier's experiences during the First World War.
Shiven Jain
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.75 - BORING AS HELL
Bill
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting way to get a basic understanding of World War One.
WhiteStar 111
This book is very intense and sad. George suffered a lot which was very realistic. I really like this book
Alex
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blackhazard
This is a good book about world War 1. It is realistic and good.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

World War One: 1915-1918 is a well researched historical graphic novel recounting the War To End All Wars from the perspective of two British soldiers. Their stories are chronologically interspersed with major events/battles as well as tales from other soldiers. The book is well done and gives a very manageable view of its subject.

The ratio between historical event to personal story is 50-50. We'll follow George and J
Matti Karjalainen
Alan Cowsillin käsikirjoittaman ja Lalit Kumar Sharman kuvittaman "World War One: 1914-1918" (Campfire, 2014) -albumin päähenkilö on brittiläinen jalkaväen sotilas, jonka kokemusten ja kertoman kautta lukija saa kohtalaisen hyvän kuvan ensimmäisestä maailmansodasta ja sen tärkeimmistä tapahtumista. Lukukokemus ei mene silti puuduttavan luennoinnin puolelle, vaan fakta ja fiktio ovat hyvin tasapainossa. Jos olisin historianopettaja, niin saattaisin hyvinkin käyttää tämmöistä sarjakuvaa hyödyksi t ...more
Matthew
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very good overview of the First World War. If used with Wayne Vansant's The Red Baron: The Graphic History of Richthofen's Flying Circus and the Air War in WWI, a student should be able to grasp the outlines of the First World War. Also recommended are Max Brooks' The Harlem Hellfighters and Pat Mills' Charley's War.

If you want your child to have any cultural literacy, best look up these graphic histories folks. History classes are being gutted by politicians and their edu-crat minion
Vanessa
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good review of WWI with the story line of one man from Britain who fought in the war. Great way to re-introduce myself to the events of WWI. Graphic novels are a quicker read than a book of the same info, but not sure I like to figure out some of the story from the comic.
PWRL
Aug 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-new
A
Vijai Jayaram
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terrific stuff...it was great to rewind ww 1 since most of what I have read was on ww2...nicely done!
Atul Sabnis
A good simple introduction to WWI. Decent graphics. What can be achieved in such a book has been well achieved.
Emily
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
It is nice for those who want a basic history on the conflicts of World War I.
Pranjal

• World War Two: Under the Shadow of the Swastika
  • World War Two: Against The Rising Sun
  • The Industrial Revolution
  • The Harlem Hellfighters
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • 神さまの言うとおり 2 [Kami-sama no Iu toori 2] (As the Gods Will, #2)
  • 神さまの言うとおり 3 [Kami-sama no Iu toori 3] (As the Gods Will, #3)
  • IIMA - Economic Sutra: Ancient Indian Antecedents to Economic Thought
  • Academia Obscura
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • Chasing a Mirage: The Tragic Illusion of an Islamic State
  • The Madurai Sultanate: A Concise History
  • The Algebra of Infinite Justice
  • Ghost Tree
  • The Long Chalkboard: and Other Stories
  • Cracks in the Walls
  • The Park Bench
  • Remember Me \ Recuerdame : El barco que salvó a quinientos ninos republicanos de la Guerra Civil Espanola
Alan is an award-winning writer and editor who started out selling comics and magazines as a dealer before becoming a full-time creative, giving him a complete understanding of the industry from all sides. He has created stories for most comic companies, and edited hit titles for Marvel, Panini and Eaglemoss. When he’s not working for Bullpen, Alan writes novels and practices Kung Fu and Qigong.