Start by marking “World War One: 1914-1918” as Want to Read:
World War One: 1914-1918

World War One: 1914-1918

(Campfire Graphic Novels)

"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our time."
-Sir Edward Grey, British Foreign Secretary

The First World War, also known as the Great War, involved over thirty nations and resulted in the deaths of millions of young men.  This stunning new book brings history to life as we see the war through the eyes of the young conscripted servic
Published May 20th 2014 by Campfire (first published January 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about World War One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War One

Liberators by Alex LetnerThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanOnward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru MizukiIt Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques TardiBarefoot Gen, Volume One by Keiji Nakazawa
War Comics
241 books — 39 voters
The Trigger by Tim ButcherAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueBirdsong by Sebastian FaulksThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanA Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
WW I books
207 books — 134 voters

More lists with this book...

Thomas Edmund
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel contains an excellent blend of historical narrative with devastating storytelling and equally intense artwork. The majority of the prose is a matter-of-fact explanation of World War, while character focussed drama is perhaps a little sparse. Still the piece is very powerful and really good for someone like me who perhaps doesn’t have time to devote to a lengthy doco or non-fiction novel but is more than happy to read a well penned graphic novel on the subject of the ‘Great’ War.
Robert Taub
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting summary of WWI from the perspective of a soldier. The author uses far too much cliche and trite humor, in my view; this diminishes the seriousness of the conditions and stresses lived by the soldiers. Still, it works well as a historical overview for readers unfamiliar with the history.

Anybody reading this should try to take a trip to Ypres (portrayed in the story) and the surrounding area of Belgium. It will be an unforgettable experience.
Arush Ul islam
A good brief history of World War I, deserves to read for once.
Chels Patterson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and moving way to learn WWI history. The pictures are well drawn and the script is fast past switching between interpersonal and factual. It does lack some detail but it’s a good jumping into book. I did a lot of wiki searches and googled a lot of what was spoken about to get a better understanding, such as what exactly was “strap to a gun” punishment. Good for all ages, but it’s defiantly overview and introductory.
Frankie Dunning
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The graphic novel World War One was a historical fiction book by Alan Cowsill. I would recommend this book to others if they needed to read a historical fiction book. I like how they told more of the story through the pictures more than the words so it told a story in a different way. I dont usually read historical fiction books but maybe I will again.
Brian
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwi
A good graphic novel about a soldier's experiences during the First World War.
Bill
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting way to get a basic understanding of World War One.
WhiteStar 111
This book is very intense and sad. George suffered a lot which was very realistic. I really like this book
Alex
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blackhazard
This is a good book about world War 1. It is realistic and good.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

World War One: 1915-1918 is a well researched historical graphic novel recounting the War To End All Wars from the perspective of two British soldiers. Their stories are chronologically interspersed with major events/battles as well as tales from other soldiers. The book is well done and gives a very manageable view of its subject.

The ratio between historical event to personal story is 50-50. We'll follow George and Joe,
Matti Karjalainen
Alan Cowsillin käsikirjoittaman ja Lalit Kumar Sharman kuvittaman "World War One: 1914-1918" (Campfire, 2014) -albumin päähenkilö on brittiläinen jalkaväen sotilas, jonka kokemusten ja kertoman kautta lukija saa kohtalaisen hyvän kuvan ensimmäisestä maailmansodasta ja sen tärkeimmistä tapahtumista. Lukukokemus ei mene silti puuduttavan luennoinnin puolelle, vaan fakta ja fiktio ovat hyvin tasapainossa. Jos olisin historianopettaja, niin saattaisin hyvinkin käyttää tämmöistä sarjakuvaa hyödyksi t ...more
Matthew
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very good overview of the First World War. If used with Wayne Vansant's The Red Baron: The Graphic History of Richthofen's Flying Circus and the Air War in WWI, a student should be able to grasp the outlines of the First World War. Also recommended are Max Brooks' The Harlem Hellfighters and Pat Mills' Charley's War.

If you want your child to have any cultural literacy, best look up these graphic histories folks. History classes are being gutted by politicians and their edu-crat minion
Vanessa
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good review of WWI with the story line of one man from Britain who fought in the war. Great way to re-introduce myself to the events of WWI. Graphic novels are a quicker read than a book of the same info, but not sure I like to figure out some of the story from the comic.
PWRL
Aug 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-new
A
Vijai Jayaram
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terrific stuff...it was great to rewind ww 1 since most of what I have read was on ww2...nicely done!
Atul Sabnis
A good simple introduction to WWI. Decent graphics. What can be achieved in such a book has been well achieved.
Emily
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
It is nice for those who want a basic history on the conflicts of World War I.
Megan
Nov 24, 2018
Jose Basagoitia
Nov 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

Campfire Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • The 3 Musketeers: The Graphic Novel
  • 400 BC: The Story of the Ten Thousand: A Graphic Novel
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Campfire Graphic Novel)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Campfire Graphic Novels)
  • Ali Baba and The Fourty Thieves: Reloaded: A Graphic Novel
  • Alice in Wonderland: The Graphic Novel
  • Around the World in 80 Days (Campfire Graphic Novels)
  • The Call of the Wild (Campfire Graphic Novels)
  • A Christmas Carol: The Graphic Novel