Start by marking “One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories

One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  37,905 ratings  ·  4,600 reviews
From an actor, writer, and director of the hit TV comedy The Office (US version): a story collection that was "workshopped" at comedy clubs and bookstores on both coasts.

B.J. Novak's One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories is an endlessly entertaining, surprisingly sensitive, and startlingly original debut collection that signals the arrival of a welcome new voice in Ame
Published February 4th 2014 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about One More Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One More Thing

·  37,905 ratings  ·  4,600 reviews

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Nutty and Naughty. I Love the Way This Guy's Mind Works.

I'm hesitant to give any specifics because B.J. Novak relies on the element of surprise to carry these pieces. The fun of reading the book is in being unaware of what new ways he will catch you off guard from one story to the next. Many of these pieces are not stories, but more like scenarios. I envy Novak's ability to say "What if ____________", and then come up with a bizarre way of filling in the blank with something we all wish we'd tho
Miranda Reads
So many stories packed into one book!

Normally, I try to write a little blurb or two about each short story in a collection but I have to draw the line somewhere. There's like 50 of them in here and I need to hold onto whatever sanity I have left.

Here are the most memorable ones:

The rematch -- Everyone knows the story of the tortoise and the hare, but not everyone knows about the aftermath. The hare was mocked relentlessly but swore that one day, there would be a rematch...

Dark matter -- An e
Philip
The first piece of legitimate literature for the ADD generation.

A fine piece of trickery: Novak makes us think it's a celebration of and homage to hedonism. A quick, light, funny read that's soon to be forgotten.

But it's not. There's depth and substance here. High-brow, artsy, pretentious humor wrapped in the ephemeral humor of ADD.

There's a poignancy and intelligence and, and, and... weirdness... in these stories that I haven't found anywhere else - and it's not dark humor. It's pensive humor
Emily
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Oh, BJ. I don't know what I was expecting with this collection, but this sure as hell wasn't it. Just about everything about this book bothered me. The stories were snarky, tongue-in-cheek, sardonic, sarcastic, biting. Yup, I think that about sums it up.

Every story was like a clever boy's "oh, wouldn't this be witty? oh, what if we did this- pushed this platitude as far as it can go?" (Really, the 'if I had a nickel for every time I spilled a cup of coffee' story was absolute crap). Some of thes
Feb 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
If I could give this book zero stars I would. Obviously I'm missing what a lot of other people are getting with this. Somebody, please tell me what's funny here?? I get that he sees himself as a more elevated "intellectual" humorist, and while a few if his ideas do have potential for hilarious insight, he never got past the idea, for me. At a certain point I was saying to myself, "Come on, there are so many funny places to go with this." But he didn't. And I didn't laugh once, out loud or otherw ...more
Madeline
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
"The Walk to School on the Day After Labor Day

I was sad that summer was over.
But I was happy that it was over for my enemies, too."

Take a minute and examine your reaction to that quote, one of the shortest pieces (I can't in good conscience call it a story) in BJ Novak's collection of short stories. I imagine that your reaction was similar to mine when I first read it - you probably smiled a little, maybe did one of those almost-laughs where you just blow air out your nose, and thought, "Oh, th
Clumsy Storyteller
i love how random and unusual, weirdly funny his ideas are. this collection fun to read. Dark matter was my favorite, i think some of the stories had really deep meaning and hidden messages, and the rest were just random and silly.

“Do you think Johnny Depp should have driven his motorcycle off the mountain highway to his death? Why or why not?”

“If you love something, let it go.
If you don't love something, definitely let it go.
Basically, just drop everything, who cares.”

“why do u always post pic
Whitney Atkinson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

I had like 20 pages of this left and decided to just finish it because I know restore me is about to take over my life lol.

I went into this thinking it would be a memoir, but it's actually a collection of short/satirical/witty/clever short stories. A lot of them interconnected, surprisingly. I enjoyed the majority of them, but there were some longer ones that just seemed to go on too long. I tried listening to this on audio, but the jokes were lost on me when I tried it that way, so I wouldn'
Robert Wechsler
I was attracted to this First-Reads giveaway because of my longstanding interest in English-language humor. I’ve edited five humor anthologies and several humor collections and humorous novels, and once wrote a volume of literary parodies. I take humor seriously.

What Novak does best is to find the sadness in humor. Too many younger writers think that humor is just about laughs. No, that’s jokes. In fact, the great American humor tradition isn’t really about laughs, although there are some. Smile
Nathan Huff
One More Thing about this book...

I'll cut right to the chase. One More Thing simply isn't very good. The weird thing is that it's not because B.J. Novak is (what some people may think inherently) a bad writer. It's his apparent love for vignettes that scream 'laugh at me' when there's nothing funny in there. No one would hold it against you if you only laughed out loud less than a dozen times while reading Novak's debut. That isn't to say that it is wholly unlikable because there are stories tha
Stina
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Either I am not smart enough to see how great this book is or it was not good. I'm leaning towards "not good", but that sounds smug. This book pissed me off while I was reading it and it has pissed me off more after I finished because I can't stop wondering why people love it.
Barbara
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it

B.J. Novak, the author of this collection of short stories, anecdotes, and random thoughts is probably best known for playing Ryan Howard on the popular TV series "The Office." He was also a writer and executive producer on the show and has appeared in a number of Hollywood movies.

B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard in 'The Office'

Most of the stories in the collection are humorous and some are thought-provoking. One story that made me smile is called "The Something by John Grisham." In this ta
Crystal Starr Light
My book club chose BJ Novak’s book, “One More Thing”. I wasn’t able to attend the meeting where the books were chosen, but my guess is it was chosen because Novak was an actor in the American “The Office”, a pretty funny show (at least the episodes I’ve caught).

However…

There was a big problem as I…as I was reading…listening…

ERM! I was listening to this on audiobook, as story after story went by. The Planetarium. The…The…The heaven story. The Calendar story. The…the…

SNORF! Well, what was I saying
Carol
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always leery of short stories. I'm not certain if this is because I often don't get what the author is trying to say or if they are not meaty enough, often leaving me hanging and thinking, "What?". I needn't have worried with this collection.

Irreverent, inane, frequently laugh out loud funny, yet often so true they are sad, these stories are superior. Sometimes long commentaries and others, just one sentence says it all. My favorites of the bunch

The Rematch
The Something by John Grisham
The M
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Weird as hell... and not necessarily in a good way.

I have no idea what to make of this one. B.J. Novak tried very hard to be creative and funny, with creative, um, certainly being the key word. Some stories were amusing in a way, but most were just odd.

I didn't laugh, not once, and I think I was supposed to laugh. Maybe?

If you are interested in a collection of random thoughts in short story form, narrated by a series of "The Office" alums, then give it a shot. Just keep your expectations to a m
Lisa
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what you expect given the "I am a funny famous person I guess I'll write a book of stories that are pretty much all about me" trend right now.

People are going to disagree about this a lot, I think. I had no idea Novak was capable of such good writing but when he chooses to ditch the traditional and speak directly to the Twitter generation it's really going to piss off purists. I think it's much more interesting how palatable he makes reading so many bits and stories that point out you
Deandra
I’m calling it: best book of short stories, 2014. Winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature, 2036. Homework assignments for kids everywhere, 2078. BJ Novak Day is a nationally recognized holiday (and the day kids look forward to because they don’t have to go to school and can stay home and read One More Thing), 2095. But enough about how great kids are going to have it in 60+ years from now. This book is seriously the best I’ve read this year. It comes out in February, so I can’t tell you to go b ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was skeptical of trying this book but I kept reminding myself that B.J. Novak started as a WRITER not as an actor trying to be a writer. Right? Well that's how I talked myself into it. I'm so glad I did! There are sixty-ish stories in this book, varying greatly in tone, subject matter, and length.

My favorites include:
Julie and the Warlord
Sophia (the sex robot who falls in love)
The Beautiful Girl in the Bookstore (one of the shortest stories, with my favorite line - "She loved him, but she neve
Daniel Simmons
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
One of the most irritating books I've read in a while. In part this is because the author is clearly an intelligent, think-outside-the-box fellow with a lot of good ideas. I just found the majority of these stories unstructured and smarmy, with lots of punchlines but very little payoff. What DOES excite my admiration is his use of dialogue, which is very natural. So: a better screenwriter than a story-scribbler, perhaps; I confess I've never seen an episode of "The Office."
Orsolya
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
You may not know who BJ Novak is. Good: more for me! In case you are curious though, Novak is an actor (the US version of “The Office”, “Inglourious Basterds”, and “Saving Mr. Banks”), comedian, writer, and producer. I also dare to add incredibly cute, sexy, intelligent… Okay, sorry. Back to the matter at hand. Novak demonstrates his writing chops in a unique way with a collection of stories in, “One More Time: Stories and Other Stories”.

“One More Thing” begins on a strong note combining humor,
Alexandra
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love BJ Novak and the shows he has starred in or been a writer for. So of course I thought I would love this book. It's really well-written. But I found it a little boring. I didn't find it very funny or entertaining. I can't figure out what I'm missing that everyone else seemed to love. I think maybe I'm just not a fan of short stories.
Mariah Roze
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was entertaining! It was full of short stories that had nothing to do with each other. Some of the stories I really enjoyed, others I didn't. The first couple stories weren't good, so it took me a while to get into this book.

I chose to read this book because the author was in the TV show The Office and I really enjoyed him :)
Vonia
Ashamedly, I am always stunned when a seemingly innocent actor/actress turns out to be quite the impressive individual with a stellar curriculum vitea. BJ Novak is one such actor. In my defense, the character I know him best as, The Office's gullible, awkward Ryan Howard, must have been played so well that I was, naturally, so easily led to believe otherwise. Other than his iconic character, he also wrote, directed, and produced for the show. He played roles in several wife-release films, the on ...more
Kristen
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
You guys.

This. Book.

I loved BJ Novak on The Office and Inglorious Bastards, have loved him in all miscellaneous roles, loved him in all of his interviews. It wasn’t the kind of love that prompted me to learn more about him (therefore it wasn’t true, alas), I was just wandering around in a “OH YEAH BJ Novak I love him he’s great super funny and seems cool” state.

Then, I bought this book.

One More Thing is a collection of stories, and a blend of “traditional” short stories, micro fiction, and hint
Gabrielle
The danger with short stories collections is that the ratio of hit/misses must be extremely high in order to avoid disappointment, or, in the case of my reaction to this book, a general lack of enthusiasm for it. "Meh" would be a good summary of my review.

The greatest strength of this audiobook is its use of its narration, both by Novak and by the guests/friends he invited to join him for the recording. The stories or characters that are attributed to them are a perfect fit, and Rainn Wilson's v
Jane Stewart
He’s quirky, clever. The best part is unusual ideas. My brain liked it.

This is 63 vignettes. Some are just a few sentences. Others are several pages long. Some are like random thoughts of the author. Some have a little story to them. Many times I laughed. Some times I just said “huh” at the end. The last story was about a translator that was beyond me. I didn’t get it. I probably should have reread it, but I didn’t, so I remain ignorant about the humor in that one. Overall I loved this book. He
Jessica S.
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audio
I was disappointed by these stories...I wanted to like them more than I did. Some of the premises were really fun and fantastic, so full of promise, but they tended to lose momentum and peter out by the end. They often felt incomplete and pointless. The endings were often super gimmicky (don't get me started on the "discussion questions" at the end of a few). Some of the stories just felt like comedy bits--like jokes with punchlines. Overall, not my cup of tea.
unknown
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2014
I probably enjoyed this 4 stars but I started to resent it at the end for being short stories. Stupid stories.
Troy Blackford
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This, a collection of around sixty 'stories,' was a frustrating book. For the first forty percent or thereabouts, I was not enjoying it much at all. The quality of it came in fitful bursts, but there were enough stories here that I did not like at all to make me doubtful of enjoying the whole. Indeed, if you had told me even at the halfway point that I would be giving the book four stars, I would have been astounded.

But, I had to admit as I read more and more that the stories I did enjoy were ve
Taryn Pierson
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Ever since the episode of The Office when BJ Novak, playing temp-turned-executive Ryan Howard, said these words: “I'm not saying I had a meteoric rise. But I did,” I've been a fan of the smarmy bastard. Now that The Office has run its course, Novak has released a collection of short stories, a new outlet for his sly wit.

Some of the stories are very short, only a few lines. They cover a wide range of topics, including Elvis sightings, the first robot capable of feeling emotion, a boy who wins $1
Bangin' Book Club: One More Thing!! 1 4 Dec 14, 2016 12:57PM
Play Book Tag: One More Thing by BJ Novak 4* 5 22 Dec 07, 2016 01:03PM
2017 Reading Chal...: One More Thing Stories and Other Stories 1 17 May 10, 2015 10:27AM
2015 Reading Chal...: One More Thing by B.J. Novak 1 16 Feb 05, 2015 11:11AM
Should I read this? 7 57 Oct 31, 2014 11:12AM

• Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The UnAmericans
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • What's Important Is Feeling: Stories
  • Hall of Small Mammals: Stories
  • Single, Carefree, Mellow
  • American Innovations
  • Can't and Won't
“If you love something, let it go.
If you don't love something, definitely let it go.
Basically, just drop everything, who cares.”
194 likes
“...slow and steady wins the race, till truth and talent claim their place.” 72 likes