Start by marking “Love Game (The Matchmaker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Love Game (The Matchmaker, #3)

Love Game

(Matchmaker Mystery #3)

Perfect for fans of Janet Evanovich, Jennifer Crusie, and Katie MacAlister, Elise Sax’s wickedly funny Matchmaker series proves that the road to love comes with a few dead ends.

Five months have passed since Gladie Burger came to Cannes, California, to join her eccentric Grandma Zelda in the family matchmaking business, and Gladie is quickly mastering the rules of attractio
Published February 25th 2014 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Love Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Game

Jilly
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance, funny
So, here I am going strong in this series because it is silly and funny and I feel like laughing out loud. Plus, my brain needs a break sometimes, ya know? I can't be all brilliant and finding the answer to life's mysteries every day. I need a vacation sometimes.

Anyway, I have certain unwritten rules for my book characters if they expect me to like them. I will write some down for you so they are now WRITTEN rules. You're welcome:

Number One - NO Alpha male pushy assholes who think abuse is roman
Samantha

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I picked up the first book in this series for free and on a whim. Who knew it would turn out to be one of my favorite series?!?

I love Glady so much... she reminds me of Charley Davidson, minus the supernatural stuff and being a grim reaper.

These are just so fun, and so very FUNNY. If you are looking for a laugh and a lighthearted read, then I highly suggest the Matchmaker series!!
Beth
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love Game is a quirky, fun, lol, slap stick murder mystery with a slight romance on the side.

Gladie Burger is being trained as a match maker by her psychic grandmother. Watching Gladie fumble through life is kind of like watching a series of unfortunate events. If it can go wrong it will...from a bear eating the driver's side of the car to an old man sleep walking nude, it all happens to Gladie.

You'd think with all Gladie's bad luck she'd have trouble finding a man, but they seem to be lining
Cindy Reifel
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Warning!===Do not read this book in public unless you don't want people to think you're crazy and do not read this book while drinking anything unless you want it shooting out of your nose! Elise Sax has done it again with the third book in this series. It is HILARIOUS!!!!
This book is about Gladie, a woman her grandmother, a matchmaker, believes is also a matchmaker. The only problem is that when Gladie tries to match people, she is forever ending up tripping over dead bodies, then having to sol
Susan (susayq ~)

WARNING!!! This was more mystery than romance.

There were a whole host of quirky characters in this book and a lot happening. The main character, Gladie, is in the matchmaking business with her grandmother and a fake matchmaker has come to town and is causing a lot of trouble. If something could go wrong, it pretty much did in here.

There were some truly laugh out loud moments while reading. I even woke up my kids up last night I laughed so hard :)

I didn't care for the whole "romance" p
Donna
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny! This is the third hilarious installment in Elise Sax Matchmaker series and just as belly aching funny as the first two.
Grandma Zelda may be good at finding love matches but Gladie is better at finding trouble and dead bodies. She is really good at that. Gladie is finally settling in and finding a home and friends in Cannes. Sure she is an apprentice matchmaker with her own problems with men but she has a couple of good matches under her belt. She may actually be getting th
Abbie
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ARC from NetGallery.com

Well I first have to commend Elise Sax on the fact that I came into this book without reading before and it was still an amazing book I didn't feel I was missing info at all.

I love that crazy love that goes around the matchmaker Gladie she is an accident and murder magnet. Which just add to the comedy of this book. This book had great tips at the begging of every chapter from Zelda.

The chain of events is amazing you had to have some events to prevent extreme conclusion
Angela Verdenius
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Makes me laugh and feel good about life. The heroine is a scream, the hero/s are yummy, and the plots just make me shake my head and laugh. The side characters are entertaining
These are an auto buy for me and I can't wait for the next one.
Kimbelry Lane
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
Loved this book! People thought I was nuts because I laughed out loud in public... So funny, reminds me a little of Stephane plum
Ashley
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in Elise’s Matchmaker Series. I had not read the other two, but I had no problem falling into this world. Before I go into the review, I just want to say that this was one of the most uniquely written books I’ve read in a while. The characters were just that, characters. Each one had a clear personality that was fun to read and watch as they interacted with one another, though some were a bit odder than others.

Gladie has come to live with her grandmother who is a matchmake
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Review is cross-posted between here and my blog Novel Addiction. Find this review and more like it at www.glowsnoveladdiction.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Type: Contemporary, Mystery, Romance-y, Book 3, Small Town, Matchmaking and Murder

My Review: When I added this book to my Goodreads' "currently reading" shelf, I happened to glance at other reviews mentioning the fact that this book is more mystery than rom
Rhonda Jones
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious Mystery Suspense

I could not believe it when I started to laugh out loud while reading about people in a panic room about to die! This book is freaking hilarious. A new wacko matchmaker is in town, someone is murdered, and Gladie just wants to stay out of it this time. Of-course her friends and fellow townies will not let her. Love is definitely not in the air this time around, but lust is. Poor Bridget! You have to read this one, it was fantastic!
Ava
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
***ARC generously provided by NetGalley for an honest review***

So here we go for the third book. Would there be another one? Would I read another one? My answer would definitely be a yes.

Book number three with a new story from book 2 Holden is gone but left Glady with his secret so we still have Mr Sexy Hot Police not Police but Chief Spencer. A Man that hot need a long title. And I forgot Womanizer but nit anymore since the facebook thing and he swore of women. One Tall sexy to drink gone and
Bonnie G.
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-romance
I received this book free from the publisher in a Goodreads Giveaway in return for my honest review. Here goes.

I read a lot, and I read all sorts of books, romance included. When I read fluff, I expect no more than that the book be technically well written, with interesting characters, and that there be actual romance going on. Love Game came up short in two of those categories.

Sax can write well. She is legitimately funny. That said, she goes a little too screwball. Dialogue and events are so f
Janelle
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
**I received a free copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review**

Matchmaking Tips from Grandma Zelda…

Fun, light, mystery-comedy…Gladys “Gladie” Burger is trouble, right from the very first chapter. She moved to Cannes to live with her grandmother, to help her with her “matchmaking” business – but when it comes to her own love life, Gladie can’t make heads of tales of the men in her life. Holden, her next store neighbor who she started a romance with, but took off saying he
Darkand
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won, reviewed, mine
In what universe can you drive your car into the side of a building and then just walk away? Seriously? And why did Ruth come to Glady's house demanding a place to stay when Glady wasn't the one who drove into her shop? Why wouldn't Ruth go to Lucy? Lucy was the driver! Let's also talk about the balcony scene. Spencer just throws Glady over the rail? Into a canyon? Trying to save her from a fire by throwing her over a balcony into a canyon??? Did he think she would just bounce?! I know these cha ...more
Judy
This is the third book in the Matchmaker Series by Elise Sax and I snagged this book from Netgalley. The series started with An Affair to Dismember and was followed up by Matchpoint; I gave both of them 5 stars.

Fall has come to Cannes and Gladie begins this book by digging out her winter clothes that have been stored in her grandmother's shed. When her grandmother warns her about opening the suitcase due to spiders - big nasty ones, Gladie's day just goes downhill from there. Zelda, her grandmo
Chrystina Williams
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love Game is the third book in The Matchmaker series by Elise Sax, and if you're new to the series don't read this as a standalone, the other books are just as funny so save a step and start at the beginning. If you like your mysteries with a bit of romance and lots of laughs then you are bound to love this series. Elise Sax does a great job at writing quirky characters that will make you laugh out loud, and her stories are definitely interesting and memorable.

As usual Gladie stumbles upon a mu
Margaret
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cara Nicole
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Cute, fun, and quirky. I felt like I was reading a game of Clue. Love Game finds the seemingly idyllic town of Cannes once again embroiled in a mystery. It comes complete with odd characters, including Gladie and her grandmother, Zelda, who is not happy that a new psychic matchmaker Luanda is in town. Add in accidents, kidnapping and murder, and you'd think it would be a somber affair. Oh no, Elise Sax has a slapstick comedy that makes these serious events a light, breezy wind. I don't think I'v ...more
Debi
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgallery
ARC provided by Netgalley and the Publisher for honest review.

Love Game is #3 in the Matchmaker series. Yeah...she's back! I was a bit worried after I read #2. Gladdy Burger's life is back to being wacky and fun. It seems her gift has her stumbling over dead bodies more than matchmaking, but now she must unmatch the town's lonely hearts.

I must give author extra points for making me smile with men as "testosterone jelly in a skin suit". It's funny and author has turned up the heat...I liked it!
Dana
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just love this series!

This one, the third book in the Matchmaker series, is just as funny (maybe more) than the first two. I find myself just cracking up at some of the dialogue - particularly between Gladie and Spencer.

I'm starting to get a little bit tired of the "which man do I pick" thing going on - a little too Stephanie Plum - so I hope it's not going to go on for another 17 books! I can see that Cumberbatch was brought in to replace Holden for this book's second male lead, but Gladie ma
Kelly
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
***ARC received through Netgalley***

Another book about Gladdie Burger's crazy life? No need to ask me if I want to read it because that's obvious. And apparently, she is still noisy and trying to resolve a case (even if she isn't really wanted). Meeting corpses is also her gift and attracting hot men is just a bonus. I enjoyed reading Love Game even if I prefered Matchpoint, it was a funny and nice way to start this new year and challenge.

The characters were funny (I love Ruth when she
Jessica
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first book I have read by Elise Sax and I have to say that I didn’t feel like I missed anything with this being the third book in this series, but I was missing out on Elise Sax. Her writing was amazing and spot on.

This book was just great, I loved everything about the crazy wonder world of matchmaking. This book had me Laughing out Loud more times than I can count. It had more comedy and suspense than romances but I found myself not minding it that much. It could have had more romanc
JoAn
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The Wizard of Saws by Elise Sax is the new release of Ms. Sax's Matchmaker Mysteries. It was previously released under the title of Love Game. That was the version that I had originally read and reviewed.

The story moved at a steady pace and the quirky secondary characters kept the story line interesting and fun. I definitely wanted to know more about each of these characters. Grandma Zelda’s matchmaking tips at the beginning of each chapter set up the action; but not always the way you would thi
Keri
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another Gladie Burger hit! I just love this series and I need to know what's next in store for Gladie and now the 3 men in her life! Fans of Janet Evanovich will enjoy this series, it's best to have read the 1st 2 in the series before this one though!! This book had me laughing out loud numerous times and you gotta enjoy he suspense and romantic bits. I would like to see one book give a little more romance and passion but this is a great light hearted easy read!
Megan McCauley
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book via good reads first reads

This time around there is a rival matchmaker trying to take over Gladies and grandma Zeldas turf. I still laughed alot through this book as I did the last one. It's fun to watch Gladie go through her drama filled life. It just seems like no matter what she always finds trouble from murder to kidnapping. Hopefully there will be more to this great series!
Lyn
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quirky & Funny
This is a fast paced book. It seems like I was racing while reading it – funny, laugh out loud crazy. Well written with well-developed characters – who knew grandmothers could be so much fun! Love Game is the third book in the Matchmaker series. This is a standalone book. Enjoy! NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine provided an advanced review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Love Game from Random House Publishing (Ballentine) via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This is a fun and quick read!!

Full review to come soon.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog: (un)Conventional Bookviews
Stacy Brown
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, the third installment, story of Gladie's adventures as a matchmaker or un-matchmaker in a quaint CA town. I always find myself at least smirking at Grandma's matchmaking advice at the beginning of each chapter. I do, however wonder about some of the jokes holding up over time as there are many pop culture references in each book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Roman Holiday: The Complete Adventure (Roman Holiday, #1-10)
  • Size Matters (Handcuffs and Happily Ever Afters, #2)
  • The Escape Diaries (Life and Love on the Lam, #1)
  • Hockey Is My Boyfriend (Part One)
  • Full Exposure
  • Reaching the Edge (Edge, #2.5)
  • Smokin' Hot (Firefighters of Lanville, TX, #1)
  • Once Tasted (Silver Creek, #2)
  • Unbearable (The Case Files of Dr. Matilda Schmidt, Paranormal Psychologist #4)
  • Yours to Keep
  • Hot Shots
  • Favorite Places (TroubleMaker, #2)
  • Nashville Bound (Nashville, #3)
  • Fire on Ice (Fire on Ice #1)
  • Not Quite True  (Lowcountry Mysteries, #3)
  • Breaking the Storm (Credence Curse, #1)
  • Just In Time (Alaskan Nights, #3)
  • A Missing Peace
Elise Sax worked as a journalist for fifteen years, mostly in Paris, France. She took a detour from journalism and became a private investigator before trying her hand at writing fiction. She lives in Southern California with her two sons. An Affair to Dismember is her first novel.

Matchmaker Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • An Affair to Dismember (The Matchmaker, #1)
  • Matchpoint (The Matchmaker, #2)
  • Field of Screams (Matchmaker Mysteries, #4)
  • From Fear to Eternity (Matchmaker Mysteries, #5)
  • West Side Gory (Matchmaker Mysteries, #6)
  • Scareplane (Matchmaker Mysteries, #7)
  • It Happened One Fright (Matchmaker Mysteries, #8)
  • The Big Kill (Matchmaker Mysteries, #9)
  • It's A Wonderful Knife (Matchmaker Mysteries, #10)
  • Ship of Ghouls (Matchmaker Mysteries, #11)