Start by marking “The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation” as Want to Read:
The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation

The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation (The Problem of Slavery)

Winner of the 2014 National Book Critics Circle Award for General Nonfiction

Shortlisted for the
2014 Cundill Prize in Historical Literature

From the revered historian, the long-awaited conclusion of the magisterial history of slavery and emancipation in Western culture that has been nearly fifty years in the making.

David Brion Davis is one of the foremost historians of th
Published February 4th 2014 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation

Socraticgadfly
Mar 28, 2014 Socraticgadfly rated it it was amazing
Great, great book. Belongs next to the likes of Eric Foner's "Reconstruction" on bookshelves.

Davis tackles how issues such as colonization related to gradualism, and immediatism later on, in emancipation. In terms of the US, he also looks at the slave revolt on Saint Domingue (Haiti), British emancipation (and colonization on Sierra Leone before the US started the Liberia colonization) and more, and their effects on the US.

Among the biggest takeaways? Davis encourages us, especially us of more l
Christine
May 31, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book pulled on me to learn and evaluate parts of history about which I had limited understanding. I am confident I would learn more by reading it again. Some of the areas of particular importance to me were on the idea of recolonizing emancipated slaves, the false narrative surrounding the volume of escaped slaves, the religious ideals of abolitionists, and the beginnings of respectability politics.
Nancy Mott
Mar 05, 2015 Nancy Mott rated it it was amazing
A monumental finish to historian David Brion Davis's massive telling of the Problem of Slavery: in Western Culture (book 1); in the Age of Revolution (book 2) and finally in the moral triumph of the human spirit that brought about emancipation and the abolishing (for the most part) of human bondage.

I discovered it accidentally (fortuitously!) when needing a book to read, not having gotten to the library, I happened upon this wonderful book and downloaded it.

Davis weaves the story back and forth
James Hemby
Mar 02, 2016 James Hemby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating history of the elimination of slavery in the US. This book provided me with a substantially greater understanding of the American slavery issue of the 19th century as well as invaluable context in the forms of the role of slavery in the economic power of the South, impacts of slave rebellions in the Caribbean on US perspectives, European abolition effects on the US and vice versa, and various proposed approaches to actually implement emancipation in the US. Most improbably, I read th ...more
Martin
Jun 28, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing
This superb study is the last of Davis's trilogy on the problem of slavery. It examines what he considers one of the most important benchmarks of moral progress in human history: the abolishment of Anglo-American chattel slavery in the 19th century. This progress came at enormous cost in the United States in the Civil War death toll of more than 650,000 people.

His chapters on animalization/dehumanization are fascinating, and his analysis resonates today as white "ownership" of blacks is challeng
Daniel
This book is the final instalment of a trilogy that began nearly fifty years ago. It is hard to believe that an 86 year old can still produce a book of such magnitude, but that should teach us never to slight the learning and experience of our elders. The other instalments in the trilogy were very good, but this one is the best, though I might only be saying that because it deals with the period that I am most interested in (c. 1830-65).
Bfisher
Nov 23, 2014 Bfisher rated it really liked it
Brings together various threads - the dehumanization of the slave's image in modern slavery, the impact of the Haitian Revolution, colonization and the ACS, the shift to demands for immediate emancipation, self-emancipation, British emancipation, the key role of free blacks in agitating for emancipation, the view of emancipation in Britain as it evolved over the period between British emancipation and the American Civil War.
Sandy Grant
May 31, 2014 Sandy Grant rated it liked it
It's starting to bog down a bit in all the details about the Haitian Revolution. But I know next to nothing about that, and it was a turning point.
Greg Bryan
Greg Bryan rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Andrew Dincher
Andrew Dincher rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Ilana
Ilana rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Michael Donnelly
Michael Donnelly rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Amanda Vercruysse
Amanda Vercruysse rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Brady Clemens
Brady Clemens rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Ross
Ross rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Dan Petegorsky
Dan Petegorsky rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Adi Brata
Adi Brata rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Elyce Feliz
Elyce Feliz rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Don Doyle
Don Doyle rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Roger Bridges
Roger Bridges rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Imelda
Imelda rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Shirley F. Grigsby
Shirley F. Grigsby rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
Eric King
Eric King rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Shawnee
Shawnee rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
The Kid
The Kid rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Glen
Glen rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Ties That Bind: The Story of an Afro-Cherokee Family in Slavery and Freedom
  • A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire
  • West of the Revolution: An Uncommon History of 1776
  • July Crisis: The World's Descent into War, Summer 1914
  • Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution
  • Liberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in the Revolutionary World
  • The Ottoman Age of Exploration
  • The Internal Enemy: Slavery and War in Virginia, 1772-1832
  • Twenty Poems That Could Save America and Other Essays
  • Life Upon These Shores: Looking at African American History, 1513-2008
  • Bound for Canaan: The Epic Story of the Underground Railroad, America's First Civil Rights Movement
  • Shadows at Dawn: A Borderlands Massacre and the Violence of History
  • Hip Hop Matters: Politics, Pop Culture, and the Struggle for the Soul of a Movement
  • Strange Rebels: 1979 and the Birth of the 21st Century
  • Harlem Nocturne: Women Artists and Progressive Politics During World War II
  • The American Way of Poverty: How the Other Half Still Lives
  • The Bill of the Century: The Epic Battle for the Civil Rights Act
  • Born on a Mountaintop: On the Road with Davy Crockett and the Ghosts of the Wild Frontier
David Brion Davis is an American historian and authority on slavery and abolition in the Western world. He is the Sterling Professor of History Emeritus at Yale University, and founder and Director Emeritus of Yale’s Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition. He is a foremost intellectual and cultural historian. The author and editor of sixteen books, and frequent c ...more
More about David Brion Davis...

The Problem of Slavery (3 books)
  • The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture