Start by marking “Girls I've Run Away With” as Want to Read:
Girls I've Run Away With

Girls I've Run Away With

Girls I've Run Away With is a story of first love between a rascally tomboy skater-girl and her wild-dreamer of a best friend, and what happens when the entire world tries to keep them apart.

“Rhiannon Argo captures the tough reality of queer teens with such playful sweetness you almost forget to worry about them as they take off on a string of outlandish, take-no-prisoners
Published September 1st 2013 by Moonshine Press

To ask other readers questions about Girls I've Run Away With, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls I've Run Away With

Lauren
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story could have been me in another life. If I was gayer and more brave, and had had truly fucked up, unsupportive parents. And if I wasn't so afraid of everything (thanks Mom).

The story really got me and held on. At one point I had to remind myself this wasn't a memory of a life I lived in another dimension or déjà vu or some weird star trek parallel universe. For that it gets five stars.

If I'm honest though the writing is clunky sometimes, and so mechanically it's more of a four star fo
Melinda
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, lesbian
Lots of drugs, drama, and depression. Would not recommend.
Caitlin
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
this is a really sweet, popcorn read. i liked the characters and liked the music and pop culture references to set it in a certain time without explicitly mentioning it. i did feel like i was always waiting for her mother and her sister to be fleshed out though, at the start of the book i thought you were only seeing this shallow image of them as a whole self-absorbed-teenager-as-narrator thing and that they would be explored as she grew up a bit, but it didn't really happen. you found out more ...more
Moriah Conant
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Trigger warnings: sexual assault, conversion therapy, drugs, psychiatric hospital, suicide, single parent families, running away, coming out, repressing sexual identity

Lo’s story really tugged at my heart. Many LGBTQ+ teens struggle with their identities, especially when they are in unsupportive families. I don’t know what to share without spoiling the story but Lo lived through a lot of really difficult things.
It is important that the average, privileged person hears stories like this. Discrim
Liza
Dominica
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took me a little while to get into this book because the start was told not quite in order and I wasn't sure how it was going to be relevant to the overall story, but the more I read, the more I realised how important it was.

I think that as it's set in the mid-90s, which is around the same time I went to high school, there was a lot I could connect with, despite the fact I didn't really do any of the things Lo did in the story. I could've easily been put off by the drug use (because I was the
Waffle
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lo captured me from the beginning of the story, even though it started slowly. She is who I might have been had my family and surroundings been a little bit different, and so, of course, Savvy stole my heart as she stole Lo's. Their journey made me simultaneously wish I could have come along for the ride with them, and so so thankful that I have a loving and supportive family. The writing style totally fits the first person narrative, though I did find myself sometimes wishing for a deeper expre ...more
Rhiannon Bos
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I was totally hooked from the beginning and couldn't put it down. I read it in two short sittings.

I can relate to Lo because she went through a period of such deep denial that she had meaningless sex with boys, even though it was only the touch of a girl that could light her soul on fire. Been there, done that.

I also loved the grungy 90s world because that's the era I grew up in, too, albeit I was slightly younger.

Girls I've Run Away With gives me Kerouac-esque vibes and Lo is
Jessica Meats
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I can see this book being a comfort to LGBT+ kids who grow up in homophobic environments, but I found it very slow in places. The book takes a long time to get going and there are long stretches that don't really add anything to the story. I nearly put it down a couple of times near the start. After about a third of the way through, it picks up.

Due to its nature, it's not a very happy story. It's about a girl whose sister has a mental breakdown and whose mother abandons her for her sexuality, s
Kelley Keogh
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like a book that pulls you in so that the idea of leaving the characters feels as though you are leaving a best friend. Rhiannon Argo's characters are eclectic, edgy and full of stuff they need to get out. Teenage angst coupled with homophobic adults makes for a great read as the rebellious girls find a way to numb the pain by taking some control in their lives. I can relate - I was that rebellious teen.

Loved her first book the Creamsicle too. What a great find Rhiannon Argo's books have been
Amy P.
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
It's rare the an engaging and lovely story of coming of age is entwined with magnificent writing, and this is one of those rarities. What a wonderful queer coming of age story that makes you want to keep flipping the pages to keep seeing what crazy stuff keeps happening to Lo. The story had me mesmerized.
Kimberly Lambert
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the first page! Rhiannon Argos does an amazing job of getting you to fall in love with the characters in her books and keeping you there until the end.
I hated this one to end,
Another wonderful read! Thank you Ms. Argo!
Jaimie Levy
Sep 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
I wish I could have read this at age 15. Reading it now was a beautiful trip back to youth. Being so well written and readable at any age, this story sucked me in. I hate that I read this binge-style..
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
My main problem with the book is that it is very poorly written. One section of the text seems to have been copied and pasted a couple of paragraphs after it's original appearance in the story. While this is more an editing problem, it is still a huge problem.

Sassafras Lowrey
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
a great new take on the queer coming of age novel - parts of the story felt kinda unrealistic, but i love a good runaway story
MariNaomi
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was so great! It really sucked me in, a big thrilling sexy rollercoaster of teenage drama. It was also a brutal reminder of why it sucked to be a teenager. A fantastic read.
Julia
Apr 28, 2015
Christeen
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Becoming Dangerous: Witchy Femmes, Queer Conjurers and Magical Rebels on Summoning the Power to Resist
  • Sister Spit: Writing, Rants and Reminiscence from the Road