Start by marking “Deception (Southern Comfort #3)” as Want to Read:
Deception (Southern Comfort #3)

Deception

(Southern Comfort #3)

Samantha Martin’s carefully reconstructed life is teetering on the edge of disaster. After surviving an abusive childhood, Sam is only months away from completing her hard-won college degree when she gets devastating news about her brother. Donnie, her protector and best friend, lies in a coma in a Charleston hospital.
Sam struggles with the question of who shot her beloved
Published June 2nd 2013 (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception

Jonetta
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonetta by: Quynh
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Quick summary
Charleston police detective and forensic artist Josh Harding is recuperating from his injuries incurred during the last case. While attending his friend's bachelor's party, he recognizes the hired stripper who he fell in love with eight years ago. Samantha (Sam) Martin can't believe her first assignment as a stripper lands her in front of the only man she's ever loved.

A bit of background
Sam's brother, Donnie, lies in a coma after having been sho
Coco.V
Nov 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (11/27/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Sam struggles with the question of who shot her beloved brother as well as the monumental expenses of his ongoing care, and in desperatio
Quynh
When Josh Harding attended a bachelor party for one of his friends, the last person he expected to see was the girl who got away 8 years ago. The girl who also happens to be the stripper at this party.

Samantha Martin has a lot on her plate. Her brother is in a coma from being shot, she's working hard to come up with the money so he doesn't have to go into an institution. What Sam doesn't know though is she's being watched and people are coming after her to find what her brother took from danger
A. Bookzilla.
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Slight spoilers ahead :).

First of all, I loved the plot and I loved the idea of these characters. Lisa Clark O'Neill's books are not predictable in the least and I love how she sort of has you guessing throughout as to who the bad guys are and who's behind the whole thing.

Now, why three stars? As a fan of the series it really pains me that this book left me kind of.. eh... even though I was really looking forward to Josh Harding's story.

Reason--everything I liked about the other two books was a
Wendy
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apr-16
Another Great Southern Comfort book
ShoSho
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, own, x-2014
It had its problems but it was an entertaining read that had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Darlene
This is book three of the Southern Comfort series. But it isn't the same people continuing a story but other secondary characters who were in the past books telling their story to continue in time.

There is a bit more romance and it leans on NA rather than YA. The crime was harder to take, too. Still, overall, I liked the story.

If you like crime and suspense stories this series is for you. I have to admit that since I read before sleep, this wasn't for me. No, I couldn't just back away and go to
Sharon Cooper
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In exchange for a gifted copy of Deception (Southern Comfort book 3), I agreed to give an honest review.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I’m pretty sure it won’t be my last. I enjoyed Deception!

The story had great main characters! Samantha Martin (heroine) had spunk, loved her heroic brother enough to almost die for him, and her ability to function under pressure truly added to the story’s adventures. Josh Harding was a sweetheart and the perfect hero. A boy scout until he rea
S.H.
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the series. I was at the edge of my seat the entire time. What a wild & exciting ride! The plot was so intense, emotional and complex. I kept finding myself wondering how in the world was everything going to come together. Whenever I tried to predict what would happen next, I was wrong. That's a good thing. Way too many books are way too predictable.

This book made me laugh, gasp, scream & hold my breath. There was one scene that had me howling with lau
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed by Gemini
for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
www.readyourwrites.blogspot.com

This was the third book in the series and it did not disappoint. The characters were nicely developed and the storyline moved on in a smooth fashion. Although this was the third book in the series, you do not need to be familiar with the first two books to follow along. The main characters in this book were not as prominent in the prior books which is apparently a theme for this author.

This book centers around poli
Pamela
"Deception" is the third novel in the "Southern Comfort" series; and like the first, "Serendipity," and second, "Forbidden," I loved it. I'm not going to provide an in-depth review as everything I've mentioned that I like about the first two novels applies to this one as well. I will say that the reason behind Sam taking off on Josh years ago; and who the "stalker" turned out to be is really ingenious. Talk about a surprise. This is definitely a terrific series that should be read by those who l ...more
Cam
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I give it 3.5 stars. I didn't enjoy it as much as Forbidden & Serendipity. I thought the mystery between the H & h was drawn out to long. It was well written and good suspense. Will read this author again.
Lhenry
I am loving this series. The humor in it is how the hero and heroine express their inner thoughts. I was actually surprised when it was revealed why Sam and run away from Josh lo those many year ago and liked the surprise very much.
Richard L Bryant
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice intriguing series

I've read 3 of the books in this series so far and thought they were great! I was very disappointed the 4th book isn't part of kindle unlimited!! So I skipped to the next one that is, I've really enjoyed all the books so far. The sex scenes are a bit graphic for my taste, however the police procedure and details seem very much on point and I do like the suspense lead up, also very good job on wrapping up the ending. I will continue to read this Mrs O'Neills books!! I defini
Karen L Gallagher
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Clark-O'Neill is a recent find for me - I enjoy her writing style and characters. A fun, fast paced read - just the way I like um!
Bernie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deception review

Deception is the third fast paced romantic suspense book in the Southern Comfort series written by author Lisa Clark O'Neill.
Kay-em
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring
Although I enjoyed several of the author's other works, I must admit I had a hard time getting into this one - almost stopped reading several times but kept going hoping it would get better. On the plus side the story is well told and the author's writing style (which is impressive) remains true to form. On the not-so-plus side... I struggled to like Josh as a hero. What didn't help was his over the top obsession with designer clothes and his tendency for irrational violence as an outlet for his ...more
Sparkymom
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3

It was fun to see Josh loose his perfect cool. When his long lost best friend ( and love of his life) shows up as a stripper at his friend's bachelor party, he can't believe it. She tries to take off before he can reach her, but doesn't make it. The confrontation is awkward because she is embarrassed and doesn't want to make excuses by explaining her desperate situation. Though both of them desire to be together, they each believe there are obstacles too large to overcome between them. Ult
Rowan
Another winner!

Lisa Clark O'Neill is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. This one had me spinning in my seat trying to figure out all the twists and turns. I liked Josh from the second book in the series where he plays a small role. Things didn't go his way in that one and I really rooted for him to find his own happiness and I am thrilled that he now gets his own story. Sam is a complicated but strong character and I was endlessly amused at the way she becomes reacquainted with Josh. I
Valarie Kinney
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Another excellent read from O'Neill. Characters were interesting and relatable, and the plot was intriguing from the beginning.
The suspense factor was spot on, as was the romance. O'Neill has quickly become my favorite author in this genre.
Corina
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one but at the end it did get into a pattern where it seemed like the author put her characters through every single thing imaginable and then some. It left me with the feeling that she didn't know how to end it so she just kept throwing one thing after another at her characters.

This one was much better than number one but not as good as number two. Apparently there is a number four. I am curious to see if it is better or worse.
✼Danielle✼
JOSH HARDING
SAMANTHA MARTIN

Read 21/11/14 | 3 stars

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous two books. It was enjoyable, but I had some problems with it too. I will continue with series, I do like the characters.
Leslie
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lisa writes the best romance, thriller and humorous books I have ever read. I look forward to all her books
Judith
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is no deception, this is a great read!
Kate's Corner
Jun 28, 2015 marked it as 09-nuff-said
Just couldn't connect with the characters after reading the sample.
Jery
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Loved it! The author has a way of creating characters that are admirable and aspirational but never one dimensional.
Bobbie
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Lots of adventure, suspense and romance. Surprising plot twists. Dynamic characters. I really like this authors writing style. She sweeps you into the storyline and doesn't let go.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars/ B+

While not quite as a strong as the first two in the series, I still found this to be a compelling and entertaining read.
Joy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. An author I plan to follow.
Camille M. Russell
Great Suspense

This book held my interest with a great storyline but trying to remember who was who when the author put so many characters names with the same first initials (J & K, for example) into the mix.....
2-3-4 Challenge: Buddy Read - Deception by Lisa Clark O'Neill (Spoiler Zone) 25 19 Feb 26, 2015 06:48AM

• Deadly Obsession (Brown and de Luca, #4)
  • Barefoot with a Bad Boy (Barefoot Bay Undercover, #3; Barefoot Bay Universe, #14)
  • Collared (Going to the Dogs #4)
  • Stuck On You
  • Deathtrap (Broslin Creek, #3)
  • The Red Order (Order of the Seers, #2)
  • The Middle Aisle (Lancaster House)
  • The Christmas Wish (Heart of Montana, #2)
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
  • Move Me (Hidden, #4)
  • Love, Sidelines, and Endzones (Cactus Creek, #5)
  • Playing With Him (The Players Club, #0.5)
  • Anything for You (Coming Home, #1.5)
  • An Eye For Danger
  • The Sun and the Moon (Wexford Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #2)
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • Favorite Places (TroubleMaker, #2)
One fine day in the not-too-distant past, Lisa Clark O’Neill left Wittenberg University with a BA in English, which she promptly neglected. After working as an interior designer, decorative artist, and Montessori art teacher (there may have been a BA in art as well,) she finally settled into the role of mother to two very fine children. However, two years of doing the stay-at-home-mom brain cell m ...more

Southern Comfort (8 books)
  • Serendipity (Southern Comfort #1)
  • Forbidden (Southern Comfort #2)
  • Nemesis (Southern Comfort, #4)
  • Obsession (Southern Comfort, #5)
  • Shattered (Southern Comfort, #6; Dahlonega Trilogy, #1))
  • Shadows (Southern Comfort, #7; Dahlonega Trilogy, #2)
  • Shiver (Southern Comfort, #8; Dahlonega Trilogy, #3)