Start by marking “Scent of Roses” as Want to Read:
Scent of Roses

Scent of Roses (Paranormal Series II #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  924 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Elizabeth doesn't believe in ghosts.

But this time she has no choice.

Family counselor Elizabeth Conner isn't sure what to think when Maria Santiago comes to her for help. Pregnant and terrified, Maria claims to be visited each night by the ghost of a little girl, warning her to flee. Her husband, Miguel, a migrant worker at Harcourt Farms in the San Joaquin Valley, dismis
Published December 31st 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Scent of Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scent of Roses

Cheri
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit of a slow start the first few pages, but then I'm sucked into the vortex of this ghostly mystery. KM never fails me. The paranormal of this is more minor gothic than anything. The suspense, romance, mystery and characters were all great. I could truly smell the roses :)
Julie
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a while back, and I am embarrassed to admit, it was my first Kat Martin novel. But, this book did make me a fan of her work, so better late than never.

When I picked this book up, at a used book store, it was not in the paranormal romance section, but the contemporary romance bin. What sold me on it was the ghost story element, which is too far and too in between these days.

There was are some really creepy and atmospheric moments in here- the don't read this book alone at night
Debbie Heaton
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Martin's paranormal romantic suspense novel, family counselor Elizabeth Conner isn't sure what to think when Maria Santiago came to her for help. Pregnant and terrified, Maria claims to be visited each night by the ghost of a little girl, warning her to flee. Her husband, Miguel, a migrant worker at Harcourt Farms in the San Joaquin Valley, dismisses her fears as hormonal changes. Sympathetic to the young woman, Elizabeth agrees to help by contacting Miguel's employers, who own the cottage wh ...more
Diane S.
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I realize that the only possible way I can stomach a romance novel is to add ghosts to it!
Olean Public Library
Great summer read - interesting - a little romance, a little mystery, and a little "ghost". Keeps your attention.
Chana
It was like watching an episode of Supernatural in which the Winchesters didn't show up and the people seeing the ghost had to figure it out for themselves. Add in the romance, and voila, a very readable book. Sad though, that it was actually based on a true story.
Judy
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, will keep you reading.
Angie Bell
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a romance/ suspense/ thriller with a few ghosts to go with it. I definitely never would have expected this kind of ending to this book, but its good that all the loose strings and random pieces all fit together. I really liked this story and would love to read more from this author.
Jennifer Blouch
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books to date! I loved everything about this story, from the paranormal mystery, to the steamy romance between Elizabeth and Zack.. wow! Zack is every lady's dream guy. He transformed his life and really made things happen for himself. Not every hero is perfect, and the author showed us that in Zack.
I felt like I knew all of the characters. Kat Martin is amazing at characterization. You feel like you're right in the story, on the edge of your seat.
Sherry
Aug 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kathy G
Shelves: 2006-2010
This was a good book. Some of the wording became redundant: fingernail of a moon; sickening sweet, bad element, etc. but it wasn't extreme. The author did an excellent job with making the ghostly appearances eerie; I got the chills once or twice and had to sleep with the kids' night light for a few nights. The author also does well with sex scenes (almost too well).

I think if the author had stuck with one plot, this would have been a 4-star book for me. I found the two plots overwhelming. Okay,
Davia
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good!

Even though this was an older book it was really excellent! The mystery and suspense were incredible. The plots were good and complex which I really enjoy. Three plots that merge to create one fantastic book. Family history and sibling rivalry was a great addition to the paranormal ghost story plot with hot romance and jealousy on the side. All around a fantastic read. Loved it .
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible read. The romance and suspense in this book are on equal footing. The paranormal plot to the book was not unbelievable if one keeps an open mind. This book made me cry and gave me goosebumps. The story draws you in and you can't find a good place to put down. Liz and Zach were great together.
Ceah
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good mix of romance and paranormal. Some of the paranormal incidents gave me the chills, but I wanted to keep reading. The author does a good job of describing some of the ghostly events, and at times can make you think you are smelling the "sickening sweet scent of roses".
Britt Gotay
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
I loved this book! It is a mystery, romance, and paranormal all in the same book. It makes the story line intense and keeps you turning the pages. A definite must read!
Susan
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-liked
Good involved story - kept my interest. It has ghosts, if you like them. You kind of have to go with the fantasy of it all.
Shawna
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Debbie Heaton
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martin has produced another irresistible novel that blends the eerie and unexplainable with her own uniquely sensual style. I couldn't put it down!
Sara
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book freaked me out! Normally "spooky" stuff doesn't bother me. This gave me goose bumps. I looked forward to the end only so I could find out what happened with the ghost.
♥ Miss Jennifer ♥
This book was great!! Gave me goosebumps a couple times too!!! Love Kat Martin! :)
Shannon Hooks
I picked up this book this morning and didn't put it down till I was done about 4pm. Nice quick book. Would be a great vacation read. I did put it on my rated R shelf due to some sex scenes. But, with that said - the scenes last about a page and if I remember right-There a two at the most. Its a mystery at it's heart with a little romance and supernatural thrown in. I think my mom kicked down this book to me eons ago. She was a reader like me although are tastes were a little different in prefer ...more
monica
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esencia de rosas

Wau que historia a veces uno tiene libros guardados y no se da cuenta lo buenos que son.tremenda historia de principio a fin.desde el primer capítulo es interesante de tal modo que no puedes dejar de leer y cuando paras no puedes dejar de pensar en el libro.hacia tiempo que una historia no captaba mi atención de este modo.
Suze
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SCENT OF ROSES

Romantic, suspense thriller with ghosts - good characters, good plot. Enjoyed the story, although I thought it could be a little shorter- the ending was great.
Miss Clara
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy was I scared. A ghost at the foot of my bed? No. No way.

Surprisingly I liked this book. From the beginning until the end.
And it's not just because of the ghost.
First of all, I really thought Carson was a good guy. Didn't peg him as the leading man, but still, a twist just after a few pages of reading! I was totally wrong in totally many ways and I hated and loved the author for it!

Okay, so let's start with the typical: Elizabeth and the badboy-lawyer Zach are the h and H of the story. Steamy
Anand Jayakrishnan
A very good romantic thriller from kat martin with right blend of horror,sibling rivalries and humour.Scent of roses is one among the very few books i finished within two days.Author suceeded in portrayal of Harcourt brothers,their rivalry,and bring on Elizabeth Conners,the protogonist between them.Now we expect a triangular love story like in some cheap bollywood flicks.But martin takes us into Santiago family and sweet sickening smell of roses..
Positives are lucid writing style of kat martin.A
P.S. Winn
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Although it is a romance, not my normal genre, the rest of this story takes readers on a great ride. The author does a great job with characters and readers are going to love Elizabeth Conner, a woman who has had some rough breaks, but is starting over in San Pico. She thinks she has her life figured out, but when a friend and client of her family counseling, shows up with an incredible story with a paranormal edge, Elizabeth is going to go on a journey she never woul ...more
Cindy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly the kind of story I like best. There's a haunting but it isn't hokey and it's scary but not gross. The only problem I have with it is in places the writing is a bit awkward. Several times I had to re-read a sentence to figure out what she was saying. The dialogue isn't very good either. Sometimes I felt like I was reading the script to a low budget B movie with bad actors reading the badly written lines. Still, I did like the story. I might find something newer by her. Maybe ...more
Shin H
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's okay...I like the plot of the story it was good but all the lovey lovey stuff was kinda bland...I can't stand romance books that are so perfect with these cliche love stories...even the drama around it was bland...but anyways back to the story...without giving away any spoilers, the storyline as I stated before, was good but I don't like the ending...I feel like the "villain" got off easy, but the characters in the story have money. So I guess the saying that goes, "Money talks and bulls**t ...more
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scent of Roses is a romance / ghost mystery. I particularly enjoyed this book because of the paranormal spin, and the romance which was neatly interwoven between the mystery / ghost plot. This is a great book to read near Halloween, or anytime you are in the mood for a light-hearted, paranormal storyline. Overall, I think this book is great for readers who are looking for a scary (not too scary) ghost story, and a bit of suspenseful romance in-between the mysterious plot.
Amy
This was a 3.5 to me. It is a little lighter than the usual style of crime/suspense books I enjoy, and heavier on the romance than the suspense. But the characters were engaging enough and I liked the paranormal aspect. I skimmed over the usual "do I dare to fall in love" angst and focused on the conclusion of the murder and ghost storyline and it was just exciting enough that I was not disappointed.
Heather
The only reason I'm giving this book 4 stars is because when I first started reading it, I just couldn't get into it. I have no idea why but I just couldn't. But once I DID start getting into it, I really got into it. I love Kat Martin & the stories she writes, she's quickly becoming one of my favorite writers.

I'd recommend this book if you enjoy a good 'ghost' story, which I do. It's intriguing & I enjoyed the characters.
  • Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge, #1)
  • Deadly Harvest (Flynn Brothers, #2)
  • Heart of the Storm
  • Willow
  • At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #1)
  • Until Tomorrow
  • Seduction / Surrender / Scandal (3 books in 1)
  • MacGowan's Ghost
  • Beyond Fearless (Beyond, #2)
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and also studied History at the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read
More about Kat Martin

Paranormal Series II (3 books)
  • The Summit (Paranormal Series II, #2)
  • Season of Strangers (Paranormal Series II, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Mariana
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel