Start by marking “Insurgent (Divergent, #2)” as Want to Read:

Insurgent

(Divergent #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,125,566 ratings  ·  58,349 reviews
Grca badge winner
Una scelta può cambiare il destino di una persona... o annientarlo del tutto. Ma qualsiasi essa sia, le conseguenze vanno affrontate. Mentre il mondo attorno a lei sta crollando, Tris cerca disperatamente di salvare tutti quelli che ama e se stessa, e di venire a patti con il dolore per la perdita dei suoi genitori e con l'orrore per quello che è stata costretta a fare. La ...more
Published May 30th 2013 by De Agostini (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Insurgent, please sign up.
Sophia Ok so it's true in the Divergent movie they do mention the main ideas and the plot but they also edit a lot of things from the book. My friend watched…moreOk so it's true in the Divergent movie they do mention the main ideas and the plot but they also edit a lot of things from the book. My friend watched the movie and asked me if she should read Insurgent and i told her that if she wanted to get a clearer picture of the movie she should read the book first so basically its your opinion that really matters whether you want a clearer picture and more detailed information or whether you just want to follow the story. Brian here's a piece of advice... always read the book before you watch the movie.(less)
Will-J Sarmiento Not even close. Nearly all the characters take a turn for the worst, particularly Tris, which is annoying since you have to practically spend the whol…moreNot even close. Nearly all the characters take a turn for the worst, particularly Tris, which is annoying since you have to practically spend the whole time with her. (less)

·  1,125,566 ratings  ·  58,349 reviews

Start your review of Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Steph Sinclair
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: -_- Strong fans of Divergent
Recommended to Steph by: Twitter and HarperTEEN's insane marketing campaign

I want to give a big old round of applause to HarperTEEN and their insane marketing campaign. Bravo. That is not mockery, but a legit salute. I sincerely have to give it up to you for convincing me that I had to own this book. I was caught up and boarded the Twitter hype train as it drove me round and round the blogosphere's Factions. (BTW, I still don't know who drives the damn train.) So, by the time I stepped into my local bookstore and laid eyes on Insurgent I happily handed over my $17.99.
Lyndsey

All right. Start it up "We Will Rock You" style, now.

Clap, clap, stomp. Clap, clap, stomp. Clap, clap, stomp. Clap, clap, stomp.

We are, we are DAUNTLESS
We are, we are DAUNTLESS

Beatrice, Now called Tris, Made a big change
Playing on the trains, She became a Dauntless one day
She's got mud on her face
A parental disgrace
Now she'll be kickin your ass all over the place

Singin'
We are, we are DIVERGENT
We are, we are DIVERGENT

Tobias is a Dauntless, Divergent
Shoutin' to them all, We can take on the world
Emily May

The size of my disappointment probably has something to do with why I can't bring myself to award this two stars. I know Divergent isn't really a great book, the dystopia makes no sense, the Dauntless are ridiculous people who jump off trains to prove themselves... but, for me, it was still a wildly entertaining read. It was fast-paced, full of action, Tris was delightfully kickass, and the romance between her and Four complemented the main story without overtaking it. Insurgent failed on al
Ellie
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I definitely like the title "Divergent" better than "Insurgent." Sounds a bit like Insurance.

Wow, eight likes. Maybe people have had some bad experience with insurance....? Dunno.

TEN LIKES.....O.O O.O O.O <--- I love that face. #.# $.$ There are so many different combinations. XD

Eleven. Whoa. O.O I don't understand this. My review isn't at the top of the review page, is it?! It's very cool, though. :D Thanks, everyone....

Oh my word!!! Fourteen likes!!! o.o O.O O.O

228 DAYS (I think)

219 DAY
Maggie Feng
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY the book is out! After months of waiting, I managed to snag this book on the day of its release and thank goodness for that!

**Warning: There will be no spoilers of Insurgent, only of Divergent**

After having not been immersed in the Divergent world since the first book came out last year, I had qualms about diving headfirst into Insurgent without refreshing myself with the basic events that happened prior to the start of this novel. However, having neither the time nor the care for reread
Nataliya
Uh-oh. Why did I break my promise to myself and read this book?

Was it my curiosity? Well, I need to be more careful. After all, curiosity killed the cat - and I'm a Leo. Uh-oh.

Now I'm afraid that this book may have made me use up a few of my allotted nine lives. O_O
Welcome back to the senseless world of dystopian Chicago where you are only allowed to have one personality trait, which apparently is determined in what seems to be an equivalent of a 5-question multiple choice test. And this ridi
Miranda Reads
People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets.
Umm, no honey. You're thinking of something else...
description
Of the three books, this book is the long-neglected and likely disturbed middle child.

Not as fun as the first nor as smart as the third. Doesn't contribute or stand out. Essentially, it's just there, staring at us and wanting us to notice it.

The "plot": Tris & Co. are betrayed, run to a new faction, cue long description of new faction/faction life, Tris & Co. are betrayed...r
Eunice

When I first read Divergent, I was awed. I loved it and I really enjoyed it. However there was this small part of me that just cannot acknowledge that this series could be, like most reviews had said, leveled with The Hunger Games. I don't know, there was something I need to see or feel for me to be completely convinced that it is worth comparing to THG or say that it could be as great as THG.

And well, great job Veronica Roth, because Insurgent just had me convinced that this series is
Inge
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Come on, Insurgent,
What?
Insurgent,” he says. “Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent.” I look at Fernando. The last time I broke into a faction’s headquarters, I did it with a gun in my hand, and I left bodies behind me. I want this time to be different. I need this time to be different. “I like it,” I say.
Insurgent. It’s perfect.

Once again I find myself with mixed views over a book. Middle books are usually fi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
OMG! That ending! Well, now I'm going to have to binge the next two books along with some other books I'm reading so I will probably fade away into the mist somewhere!

I loved this book a lot more than the first book. I'm seriously going to read that one again at some point because I think something was just off with me. I really think I had watched the movie so many times that it felt like I was kinda watching it again only not watching it and it was weird. Who knows!!!

Movin' on . . .

This boo
Cristina Monica
description

''You're too important to just... die.''

This book was extraordinary. Not like the first one at all, but a good different. A different that will bring many emotions out of you and will definitely hook you from the first to the very last page.

description

I pout my lower lip for a second, but then I grin as the pieces come together. ''That's why you like me!'' I exclaim. ''Because you're not very nice either! It makes so much more sense now.''

Tris and Tobias have this incredible chemistry that is imp
Ahmad Sharabiani
Insurgent (Divergent #2), Veronica Roth
Insurgent is a 2012 science fiction young adult novel by American novelist Veronica Roth, and the second book in the Divergent trilogy. As the sequel to the 2011 bestseller Divergent, it continues the story of Tris Prior and the dystopian post-apocalyptic version of Chicago. Following the events of the previous novel, a war now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. While trying to save the people that she loves, Tris faces quest
karen
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wait, so book three is out soon, right?? RIGHT???

second books are always hard, particularly the middle book of a trilogy. so many times, they just operate as filler - adhering the beginning of a story to its conclusion with unnecessary stickiness. most trilogies should probably just be duologies, you ask me.

there are always exceptions: the border trilogy, chaos walking trilogy - where the middle book is actually the strongest, and books like kjaerstad's jonas wergeland trilogy, where each book i
Alejandro
I was glad that I decided to continue the book series!

A FORETOLD DOOMED DYSTOPIA

They’ve made mistakes, of course, but they like everyone else, are a blend of good and bad.

I commented in my review of the first book, Divergent, that the presented dystopia in the story was doomed to fail by itself, and it wasn’t any shock that happen, even due many of the observations that I did. So, I don’t know you, but I think that all was part of the plan...

...well, not their plan, of course...

...bu
Seth
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ugggh. I wish that Tobias would just go by Four. Or Toby! That would also be good :D

. . . THE COVER.

I'm so freakin excited for this book!

******EDIT AFTER READING*******

I guess my excitement died down a little lol :P But it was really good still, even though I read it like two years after the first one :P
Dija
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of teenage angst.
Recommended to Dija by: Buddy read with Jenn
My overall impression of Insurgent is mostly bipolar - on one hand, I believe this was the only possible sequel to Divergent. On the other though, I feel almost cheated by what became of one of my favorite YA heroines and series. The latter is the more dominant of the two, and hence the low rating.

Firstly, the brave, sweet Tris I fell in love with in Divergent is replaced by an angsty heroine in Insurgent who is a complete STRANGER to me. What happened to my precious baby?? I realize murder and
Claudia Ramírez
More like 3.5 for me...

I didn't liked this book as much as the first one (and not that I liked the first one THAT much, either). You see, in Divergent I loved all the part of the story when Tris was trying to win a spot in Dauntless, it was awesome to read. But when all the rebelion/revolution/whatever thing started, the book went down to me, and Insurgent is ALL about that! And Tris, God, she became insufferable! Always depressed, always taking reckless desitions, telling lies to Four, and she
Nick
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series went downhill from this book. I still liked it.
Emily (emilykatereads)

If I thought the last book left me with a lot of questions, this one left me with even more. sdrftgbhjnkm. I wish I would have been able to just sit down one afternoon and read this book in one sitting, but I was so busy, but whenever I started reading, I wouldn't want to stop, but unfortunately something always got in the way.
My opinions on different things through the book kept changing, and now that it's done, I can't quite figure out what I feel about most things.
One thing I know for sure th
Jodi Meadows
Oh yeah. It's amazing . . . and even better than the first.

Katy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - Wow, what an end! Overall, a pretty good book, but boy was it infuriating!

First of all, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Divergent. But I didn't like Tris or Four very much in this book. I don't remember Tris being such a bitch, and I understand that she is Dauntless now, and she has been through a lot, but she is just so mean. And Four has more mood swings than a girl - especially for someone who was so stoic, not in actual feelings but in display of feelings, in the first book. The two made me
Booknut
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Booknut by: The Shadowhunter who lives in my broom closet
I am unable to type properly due to an extreme amount of emotion going through me at the present time. I am also thoroughly angered by the fact there aren't more than 5 stars to fill in. I feel something like this:
Photobucket

I will try and post up an actual review on my blog...once I get over my fangirling and that horrible mournful feeling that is associated with the fact that I have just realised that Four isn't real and I will never become a Dauntless and marry him.
Real l
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Hmm...I wonder what will happen to Peter. Will he become a better person or will he stay an a-hole?

First of all,I am NOT one of those people who give 5 star rating to every damn book they read(obviously) so I am NOT going to give Insurgent 5 stars just because Divergent was great. That is not enough. I know all of my friends will say I am crazy for not liking this book but after reading books for so many years I just can't put up with certain things.

I understand some characters need to die
Charlotte May

So much better than the first one! The factions are so fleshed out, we see rounded characters with numerous flaws and traits.

I loved Tris’ character development, she has learned and changed from the way she was in book 1 and her relationship
Wendy Darling
Meh. I really liked the first book, but somehow this one just didn't grab me as much...
Brodie
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, favorites
It's safe to say that Divergent was THE novel of 2011. It quietly snuck up on me at the time and completely BLEW ME AWAY. So naturally Insurgent has been my most anticipated sequel of 2012. Did it live up to the hype? Not at all.

IT OBLITERATED IT.

Insurgent picks up instantly where Divergent left off, with Tris, Four (Tobias), Marcus, Caleb and Peter having escaped the horrors of the Erudite attack and now seeking refuge in Amity. I'm pleased that we got to explore more of both Amity and Candor t
Brigid ✩
Warning: this review will probably contain five billion spoilers (more or less). And I probably won't cover them up or anything because ... I just don't want to. So if you are avoiding spoilers for this book like the plague, you should probably just go away.

All right, now. Here we go.

Let me start off by saying, I really liked Divergent. It wasn't the most fantastic or original thing I'd ever read, but it was a fun read. It was exciting, it had some cute romance, and so on. I read the whole thing
Gerasimos
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-favourites, own
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

This is the opening line of Insurgent. The whole book is built around this opening line. Around truth and lies. And I didn't realise that until the very end.

Divergent is one of the best dystopian books I have ever read. Therefore, I was very excited for Insurgent! For the most part of it, right until the last 100-pages, it was as good as Divergent was. But then everything changed! Insurgent was not as good as Divergent any more. It w
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
9%, that's it. I finished 9% and I can't go one more page. I have a rule, if I didn't get to page 100, I won't rate the book. Well, screw my rules. I REALLY disliked this book. Sorry. I'm rating it. And yes, I did read enough to rate it. No, I don't need to finish it. I don't care if there is something coming, or there is some great twist, or if it will all make sense in the end. The 9% I read was not good. The characters are horrible. This is not even a review. I'm just ranting. Thus, I stop to ...more
YA Book Reviews : Insurgent by Veronica Roth 1 4 May 25, 2020 09:49PM
What is your Dystopian Name? 490 3736 May 24, 2020 08:49PM
We Live In Books: Insurgent Discussion 1 7 Dec 27, 2019 08:10AM

• Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • Allegiant: The Ultimate Interactive Quiz Book (Divergent Series Quiz Books 3)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
  • Paper Towns
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times best-selling author of the Divergent series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection), the Carve the Mark duology (Carve the Mark, the Fates Divide), The End and Other Beginnings collection of short fiction, and many short stories and essays. Her first book for adult audiences, Chosen Ones, is out now. She lives in Chicago.

Divergent (3 books)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

Articles featuring this book

"Do you want to write a sci-fi short story?" Blake Crouch asked Andy Weir. This is how Forward, the brand-new collection from Am...
“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.” 4305 likes
“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.” 3661 likes