Start by marking “Early Bird” as Want to Read:
Early Bird

Early Bird

Published January 28th 2014 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Early Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Bird

Start your review of Early Bird
The Library Lady
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Here's a librarian who actually is writing for children and not for her fellow hipsters at "Kids Lit Drink Night." This book is perfectly pitched at preschoolers--at my 2 and up program it was a big hit with both adults and children. Simple enough for the little listeners, visual cues and concept words for older children,delightful art and a just right ending. Sweet without saccharine. Well done!
Margie
The number three is commonly found in folklore. As a storytelling technique it supplies a cadence to the narrative. Listeners and readers seem to gravitate to this rhythm as if it's wired into their DNA passed on from generation to generation.

Believing good things come in threes, the three most recent years have provided younger readers with a trio of charming titles. Early Bird (Feiwel And Friends, January 28, 2014), Night Owl (Feiwel And Friends, January 27, 2015 and Cat Nap (Feiwel And
June
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: early picture book requests
Recommended to June by: Capitolchoices.org
I am not one for soft, retellings. If you don't like the message of a folktale or saying don't use it. I think many children are over protected and that it does not help them. One of life's lesson it that life is not fair. Pretending that birds don't eat worms or can be their friends to me is only going to warp a child's world view.
Dana
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bright, simple, fun illustrations follow a very active Early Bird as he travels across, through, over and under and more on his search for the Early Worm, with whom he shares breakfast. This is a fun action story for toddlers.
Roben
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about an early rising bird out looking for breakfast. Yoon incorporates prepositions of movement seamlessly into the story - and the surprise ending is delightfully yummy.
Franki Sibberson
Great book for new readers, baby gift, plot structure--a fun surprise at the end! Love the illustrations.
Kimberly
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Simple, bright illustrations and a cute twist at the end.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet, snappy fun with a nice little surprise.
Kristen Hylton
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
This was a fun choice for storytime! It was fun to have the kids all stand up tall and take a nice, deep breath with the early bird to start us out and get us ready to listen to a story. The kids enjoyed pointing out all the little bugs the bird was passing on her way--ladybugs, bees, butterflies, a spider! I asked the kids to tell me if they could remember seeing any of these insects (and spider!) before, and where, and what color they were, to help them connect real life experiences to the art ...more
Janet
Fun story about an early bird looking for breakfast. Lots of good illustrations featuring location prepositions that are easily understood from the illustration. However, the actual illustration for the breakfast seems to be backwards with the way the strawberry disappears, to goes from right to left and my eyes want it to go from left to right.

Somehow Goodreads won't allow me to also review the board book version of this. So here it is. I thought I would prefer the board book edition. However,
Krista
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to use this book in a library activity with the pre-k and kindergarteners at school. What draws me in is the idea that I can easily pair movements with what is happening on each page. Instead of just reading "She stands as tall as she can," I can stretch myself out like the bird is doing and ask the kids to show how they would stand as tall as they can. I love the idea of a story where kids can be active as it is read to them. This story provides that opportunity and it is just ...more
Christine Turner
Summary
Early Bird wakes up before the sun. She is hungry. What will she have for breakfast? With language that emphasizes action words, this is a fun story for morning, nighttime, any time.

Notes
Toni Yuly has been an early bird all her life, and loves to start the day in the studio listening to other early birds sing outside her window. She was born in Seattle and now lives in Bremerton, Washington, in a small house by the water. She studied painting at the University of Washington, where she
Vivian
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm becoming a fan of Toni Yuly's picture books. The poster-style art, the large simple text, and the every-day sort of adventures are perfectly suit the little ones they are designed for.

This story uses a lot of prepositions, such as "across", "through", "under", "up", "around", and "over". Themes to explore include "spring", "summer", "morning routines", "birds", "insects/bugs", "flowers", "cats", "worms", and "strawberries".
Emma
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book felt a little short for our 1-book toddler storytime, but I think it would be fantastic for a storytime where more than one book is used. The pictures are large and clear, meaning it would work well even for babies, and the prepositions used (over, through, under, etc.) make it fun to move along with.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The Early Bird wakes early to go on a journey. She's looking for the Early Worm and breakfast. Cute and quick story about a bird and worm.

Reviewed from a library copy.

2017 storytime theme: Build a Better World - Fences
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Early bird wakes up and ventures around. Fun for prepositional phrases (over, around, through, under...though some of them I can't think of how to act out). At the end, she finds the early worm and they enjoy eating strawberries together. Haha, surprise ending.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story
Emily
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iris
Baby CC loves this book. The colors are bright, the illustrations are simple and engaging. A lovely read-aloud for little little ones. We have the board book version and it translates well.
Casandria
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great storytime book!
Kristin Nelson
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Vibrant colors with an unexpected ending.
Marissa Kiddey
Super cut spin on the saying, 'the early bird gets the worm'. Illustrations are clean and sharp. Shapes used are good for younger students and words are large and emphasized well.
RoneshaM
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-lit
The Early Bird is a great early childhood book. It would be a great story for the early childhood community. The story is easy to read since it is most likely towards children at a younger age. The pictures are bright and the text is big so it is easy to read. The sentences are about 2-3 words. I would recommend this book to educators and parents. This is a very cute and simple book.
Hannah Jane
Such a simple story, yet there's a well-developed plot and even a climax. A very smart person pointed out the color difference in the background of the pages when the bird finds the worm. So clever! My favorite illustration is the eyelashes of the sun when it peeks over the horizon.
Alison
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
My first reaction to holding this book in my hands -"Oh look, it's a Partridge!" & start humming, "C'mon Get Happy" in my head...Yes, I grew up in the 70's & 80's...

That little trip down memory lane aside-this book is incredibly sweet.

Each page is one of action and discovery for our Early Bird, as she moves through the beginning of her day. Starting off with a big tall stretch and deep breath, away she goes,through the daisy patch, under a sticky spider web, passing flowers, fences,
Mary
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, jp, animals-birds
This review by Ilene Cooper for Booklist says it better than I can:

*Starred Review* Here’s a book that is not just a smart story but one that has myriad uses as well. With simple geometric shapes and pure colors, Yuly introduces Early Bird, who, as one would suspect, likes to rise and shine. As the pages turn, the sky changes shades of blue. Strong verbs explain how the bird stands tall, breathes deeply, and then gets going, across the grass and under the spiderweb, until she finally arrives at
Jessica
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is confusing albeit the illustrations are enjoyable.

A) I thought this book would be one of those themed read between the lines of "Kids enjoy waking up because that may be THE REST OF YOUR LIFE..." Uh. No.

B) I proceeded to see the worm and think, "Oh man! This is going to be good...a classic Jon Klassen ending. Uh. No.

Result:

A book about sharing?! I haven't seen any pictures of this happening: Not even on: Cute Overload... I understand that there are inter-species friendship... but
Cari Williams
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
Early Bird was a very fun read, especially as a read aloud for early readers. The book is about a young bird who always rises early to find breakfast. The author takes us through grass, flowers, spider webs, in the air, around corners and many more places. The early bird eventually finds a worm. And in the real world we all know that birds eat worms. But in this story the author surprises us by having the bird not eat the worm but share a strawberry for breakfast with him. I really enjoyed ...more
Jana
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book, I thought about the early birds in my neighborhood. Now that it's spring and we're starting to sleep with open windows more often, I can't help noticing that our early birds get started with their LOUD chirping, singing and tweeting around 3:30 in the morning (nowhere near sunrise!). But this early bird gets at her day with a long journey across a yard. When the early bird gets the worm, the reader is in for a nice surprise! The nice surprise made this a new favorite ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is a cute story about a bird, who's an early riser. She's not the only who gets up early. There's someone she's meeting when the sunrises, in the garden. I enjoyed the fact that this story is simple in it's story telling, making it incredibly easy for toddlers and young readers to follow along. It's also a great beginning reader book. The illustrations are cute, and I loved that they're not overly detailed. This again is beneficial to young readers, as the vividly bright and catchy ...more
Heather Harden
Just because early bird gets the worm, doesn't mean he has to eat it. In this short story, early bird sets out on a morning walk. The placement of the text of the page helps to bring excitement to the story. It's a fun journey with a sweet ending that should make listeners smile. Recommended for toddler and preschool stoytime.
Vocabulary-Early bird encounters several animals on his journey. Presenter can ask listeners to name animal on each page, the sound the animal makes, and the color of each
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mealtime
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • Ducks Away!
  • LMNO Peas
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
  • If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
  • I Know It's Autumn
  • Little Elephant Listens
  • Little Gorilla
  • A Stone Sat Still
Toni Yuly is the author-illustrator of the picture books Early Bird, Night Owl, and Cat Nap. After many years as a librarian, she now dedicates herself to designing, painting, and writing all day. Toni Yuly lives in Bremerton, Washington.