Start by marking “A Flame in the Wind of Death (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #3)” as Want to Read:
A Flame in the Wind of Death (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #3)

A Flame in the Wind of Death

(Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #3)

At Halloween, Salem, Massachusetts is a hot spot for Witch and tourist alike. But when a murder spree begins, a cop and scientist must team up to find the killer before a media circus unleashes, panic ensues, and more victims are killed.

Forensic anthropologist Matt Lowell and Massachusetts State Police Trooper Leigh Abbott are called in to investigate burned remains follow
Published May 2014 by Five Star (first published April 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Flame in the Wind of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flame in the Wind of Death

Kathy
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jen J. Danna and Ann Vanderlaan have created a series that has proved its staying power with its third tale of Massachusetts State Police Trooper Leigh Abbott and forensic anthropologist Matt Lowell. A Flame in the Wind of Death is the second full-length book in the series, with the first being Dead Without a Stone to Tell It. No One Sees Me ‘Til I Fall was a novella in between last year’s debut novel and this April 2014 release. I am dazed by the flawless flow of these narratives.

Not wanting t
Diane
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book and I am loving this series. The authors have a very unique style that has won me over.

This book takes you into the world of fires whether they are set or natural, fire terminology is briefly defined at the beginning of each chapter.

The two main characters are back in action - State Trooper Leigh Abbott and Dr. Matthew Lowell the anthropologist. The chemistry between the two works really well, plus the help provided from Dr. Lowell's grad students.

Some red herrings are tos
Judi
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really great second book in the Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries series! Someone is setting fires in Salem shortly before Halloween. And badly burned bodies are found in the destruction. Are the fires related to Witchcraft? Leigh and Matt's new relationship is starting to develop, but they are kept busy trying to solve the case before the next victims are added to the body count. Things get a little too hot for them at the fiery conclusion. I was lucky to be given an advanced proof copy, b ...more
Pamela
Michele
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
2nd books are hard. 3rd books are even harder. Flame is the 2nd full length book in the series, but the third story told and I just find myself so impressed with the way it didn't fall into any of the usual traps. The new mystery deepens the relationship between Matt and Leigh. It provides a little more time with the engaging set of grad students. It opens up another part of town, let's us meet others in the community. It allows us to see more of Matt and Leigh as individuals. Not for one second ...more
Michelle Winner-swann
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third and most recent Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mystery, a series I hope will continue for a very long time.

Without giving away any of the plot or any spoilers, I just want to say that Jen J. Danna has a gift for detail and imagery. I am spellbound when reading her books. The characters are well drawn, and with each book, we learn more and more about them. I feel like I know them; like I've been with them in the field.

Ms. Danna weaves an interesting story, never making the reader f
Nancy Reynolds
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read in this series. Now I can't wait for the next in the series, and I will have to go back and read the earlier books in the series. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the the next book does delve further into the witchcraft information. I totally enjoyed the entire cast of characters in the book. I also loved all the details and information shared with the reader. The introduction to each chapter - a definition of words/terminology that had bearing on the story l ...more
Mystereity Reviews
Good. I enjoyed it better than the first one. This is listed as book #3 in the series but there's novella that came out between the 2 and frankly, I'm not sure it's worth the read. The transition between book 1 to this book is seamless and no other references are made, save for the murders in the first book.

I enjoyed the plot, it moved along pretty well and the ending, although not a complete surprise, was still entertaining enough to be satisfying. There wasn't much forensic-y type stuff going
Dawn
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

The authors write good mysteries. Will continue reading the series. Leigh and Matt(scientist) get another case. This one is a fire with a very burned body at its center. In Salem did the witches do it?(victim was originally in a cove.).
Megan
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second full length novel from Jen J Danna with Ann Vanderlaan, ‘A Flame in the Wind of Death’ is a powerfully developed story, rich in both technical and plot detail that builds the tension to its heart thumping conclusion. I thoroughly enjoyed every word – and I made sure I took my time and read them all (I tend to ‘flash’ read when a story is as exciting as this one, but I miss a lot of detail that way). When, on the brink of Halloween, a body is found deep inside a building ravaged by fir ...more
Lorraine
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I loved the plot and the solving of the case presented in "A Flame in the Wind of Death," I found some of the writing to be a tad bit too technical for my personal taste. The research scientist side of the authors clearly shines through, and I ended up learning a few new things and adding several new words to my vocabulary. I cannot criticize the authors for this; instead, I have to complement them for expanding my repertoire!

The one thing I didn't really like is that there is a sub-plot
Annie
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 hot stars...;)

First of all...wow, who knew? I feel like I just took a class in firefighting and Magic 101! this was a thrilling, fast, page turning ride that takes place in Salem MA. I knew immediately who "done it" and I must say it took Leigh long enough to figure it out, of course this could be because her mind is on her Scientist partner and friend, Matt. Each chapter has a heading with an explanation of a word or phrase that has to do with all things fire or magic, nifty bit of informati
Jane
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Witches, fire starters, firefighters, people’s pasts and a little bit of romance all mixed together and you have Jen J. Danna & Ann Vanderlaan’s latest novel ‘A Flame in the Wind of Death’. Massachusetts State Police Trooper Leigh Abbott and Forensic anthropologist Matt Lowell are brought together again when a body is found burned beyond recognition in the town of Salem. Suspicion immediately falls on or is pointed towards the local witch community but thanks to some prior knowledge, Leigh k ...more
Victoria Goldman
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The prologue sucked me into the story straight away with its vivid description of a fire set by an arsonist.

As the third book in the series, A Flame in the Wind of Death provided me with more background into the existing characters and an insight into what makes them tick. It also took the relationship between Leigh and Mike to a new level. Even the sex scene was beautifully written, neither smutty nor cliched.

By reading the book, I learnt a lot about the forensics of fire damage and also a rare
Kaleena Rheeya
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaways. Jen Danna and Ann Vanderlaan have done a fantastic job with "A Flame in the Wind of Death." This is the first time I have read a book from either author. Despite this being book three in their Abbott and Lowell series, I did not feel as though I was lost reading this book. Besides a few spoilers for the previous two books, this book can basically stand on its own.

I greatly appreciated to attention to detail and respect the authors gave to
Argum
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second full length book in the series. I think I may have missed a little something by not having read that e novella, but nothing too confusing to the main story. Leigh and Matt are working their third case together and not much time has passed since the first book ended. A major fire happens at an antique store and a badly burned body is discovered. The medical examiner requests Matt who in turn demands only Trooper Leigh Abbott as the assigned police officer in charge, angering her nasty ...more
Cathy
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Third in a series of well-documented crime dramas, "A Flame in the Wind of Death" is a vivid narrative of Trooper Leigh Abbott's encounter with a vindictive firebug. Abbott works through the case with her team of forensic anthropologists, led by the handsome Dr. Matt Lowell.

Author Jen J. Danna describes scientific developments with incredible detail and clarity, connecting dots that the reader may not even know were in each other's vicinity. Her ability to clarify even the most technical jargon
Mary Ringe
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The third in the Abbott and Lowell series of murder mysteries. I can't say enough good about this series. Each mystery encompasses a different science (in this case the science of arson). The science behind the murder is carefully researched but doesn't overwhelm the reader. Just enough exposition that you are drawn into the explanation until you can smell the whiff of smoke before everything blows up. Abbott and Lowell are characters that I find myself really invested in. I want to know more ab ...more
Alanna Pfeifler-McKee
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leigh, Matt and the gang are all back in this third installment of the Abbott and Lowell forensic mysteries. Someone is leaving a path of murder and destruction in their wake, and it's up to Leigh and Matt to discover who's responsible before the killer strikes again.

I cannot get enough of Leigh and Matt. The dynamics of their professional and personal relationship is incredible and I found myself unable to put down this book, finishing it in less than 24 hours.

Not only was the main plot intrig
Paulina D.
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leigh, Matt and his grad students are back for the third installment of what is fast becoming my favourite mystery series of all time. An arsonist is on the loose in Salem, and the evidence does not look good for the Witchcraft community. The plot moves quickly along, with the detailed research (on all fronts - firefighting, Witchcraft, and anthropology) leading it through twists and turns to a very unexpected conclusion.

A lovely, fast paced read. I can't wait for the next installment of the Abb
Carrie
Oct 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it would be fun to read a seasonal story - October, witches, autumn. And what better place than Salem, Massachusetts? If you like your murder mysteries with out any blood or guts, the female police officer just isn't realistic, and there seems to be no romantic spark between the main couple even though they are secretly dating, this is your book. I threw it down in disgust half way through.
Crystal M
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Just finished this book having never read any of the other books in the series. Even with no knowledge of the series, I was able to get a sense of the relationships between everyone and understand what was going on. I thought that this was an enjoyable read that was very well-researched. I also liked the definitions at the beginning of the chapters that fit with events in the chapter.
Peggy
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, mystery
Interesting subject matter - filled with details of modern witchcraft, FOP disease and fire/firefighting, none of which I knew much about (in fact, I'd never heard of FOP disease, which is the ossification of muscles and the connective tissue, i.e. the transition of muscle to bone). A horrific disease!
Tammie Smith
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great murder mystery set in Salam, Mass. It involved State trooper Leigh Abbott and forensic anthropologist Dr. Matt Lowell. They find a charred body inside a store. Dr. Matt Lowell and his students have to determine who it is. This book is not hard to follow if you are not a scientist. It kept my interest. I wanted to know who did it. I recommend this book.

I won this on goodreads.
Jenny
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win this book through goodreads giveaways and i just finished reading it! I genuinely enjoyed this book and as a fan of crime mysteries, this one did not disappoint. Now i just need to get my hands on the rest of the series because I'm invested in the characters!
Vicki
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice continuation to the series. I enjoy the mystery and watching the relationship between the primaries continue to evolve. Fascinating to look at the behind the scenes work and this had a nice medical touch, also. And, I must say, I do like the scoobies.
Marg Corjay
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It was edge-of-your-seat exciting, lots of fire investigation info, likeable characters and a touch of romantic tension. Fast-paced and intelligently written.
Shirley
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprised by the murderer but not the motive. Enjoy the series despite them being pretty predictable.
Georgia Lengyel
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Glad to see this book in the series is back to the standard of the first. Just don't think the description of the romantic part of Abbott and Lowell's life is necessary.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Abbott and Lowell Forensic
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Stand (Charlotte Marshall Mysteries, #2)
  • All the Hidden Sins (Jake Carrington #2)
  • House of Fire (Unraveled, #2)
  • The Laughterhouse (Theodore Tate, #3)
  • Exploited (Kate Lange #4)
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
  • Saint/Sinner (Allie Krycek, #2)
  • Cache a Predator
  • True Crime Stories Volume 1: 12 Terrifying True Crime Murder Cases (List of Twelve)
  • Evidence
  • A Breck Death (Jill Quint, MD, Forensic Pathologist #3)
  • The Legend of Jackson Murphy
  • Skeleton Sea (Forensic Geology #4)
  • Missing Mom: A True Crime, True Family Story
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • The World's Most Evil People
  • Rise of the Black Hand: The Case Files of Thomas Morelli (The Black Hand, #1)
  • Serial Killer Investigations
A scientist specializing in infectious diseases, Jen works as part of a dynamic research group at a cutting-edge Canadian university. However, her true passion lies in indulging her love of the mysterious and thrilling through her writing. With her partner Ann Vanderlaan, Jen writes two series: the Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries—suspenseful mysteries with a smart, scientific edge, and the FB ...more

Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries (5 books)
  • Dead, Without a Stone to Tell It (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #1)
  • No One Sees Me 'Til I Fall (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #2)
  • Two Parts Bloody Murder (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #4)
  • Lament the Common Bones (Abbott and Lowell Forensic Mysteries #5)