Start by marking “Broken Dreams (Broken, #2)” as Want to Read:
Broken Dreams (Broken, #2)

Broken Dreams (Broken #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  537 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Rainey Daniels has been keeping a secret since she left her hometown, three years ago. The death of a friend’s father, though, has her questioning whether or not running away from her past is what’s best for her future. Add sexy Chris Baker in the mix and she’s even more unsure. After all, life is short.

Baker is an all-around good guy with a great sense of humor strugglin
Published August 2013 (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Dreams

Chantel
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was great follow up to Broken Promises but I felt it wasn't complete. It kinda left me empty. That is the only reason I am giving it 4 stars because this book will give a tug on your heart strings! It ended in a happy ending kinda. If that's where Ms. Dawn wanted to go she succeeded but I wanted to know more! I loved Rainy in the first book and finding out what her secret was a little shocking I didn't think Mallory was going to take it as well as she did. Also, reading more about Baker in ...more
Heather andrews
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So the author and I had a little chit chat because when I got to the end of the bookie I felt like Rainey's story wasn't done, and I was right. The things I discussed with the author won't be affecting my review of the book because technically they haven't happened yet. Dawn writes things that are 'real life' and even though I don't like it, it happens. Baker he's a good guy, "I planned to treat her right, not only because I liked her, but also to make up for being an a** that first night." Thes ...more
Melanie
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Rainey's story, although I felt was left unfinished. I need to know what happens to her and Baker. Also I really want to know what is going on between Gabby and Wolf and will Mallory and Luke get married???? I see a lot more potential for this series and I can't wait!!!!!
ChuCha
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
some_text

Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

Rainey Daniels wanted a summer fling: no commitments, no strings and no complications. She didn’t need added problem into her life. She had been harboring a secret for three years only a few close people to her knew. She didn’t want to be a burden to anyone; even she kept her best friend Mallory in the dark, knowing that she took her father’s death hard. Then there’s the sexy, bar-owner, ex-boyfriend-turned-fling Chris Baker who can take her breath away.

I
Crystal
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better. This is the second story in the Broken series by Dawn Pendleton and stars Rainey and Baker (Chris). Rainey and Baker went to Rainey's senior prom together so that Mallory's boyfriend Luke would have someone his age to talk to. Baker and Luke are best friends and Rainey and Mallory are best friends. It has been three years since Rainey and Baker have seen each other and Rainey has changed a lot in that time. She is no longer the "chubby" girl that everyone r ...more
Sian Apperley
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well I read this in a day....couldn't wait to see where the story went. By the end of the book i was in tears. Romantic Baker looking after the only woman he's ever loved who just happens to be dying. Roll on book 3!
Jay
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
When is the 3rd book coming out cause I need to know more.
Sara
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, arc
*Attenzione spoiler*
*Ho ricevuto una copia del libro in cambio di un'onesta recensione*

Rispetto al primo libro della serie, che ho trovato abbastanza monotono e fastidioso, Broken Dreams si è rivelato migliore, sia per la trama sia per i personaggi.

Rainey ha deciso di trascorrere l'estate a Casper, la sua città natale nel Maine, lasciandosi alle spalle la caotica Los Angeles. Ad attenderla il solito gruppo di amici e Baker, il ragazzo per cui aveva una cotta al liceo e con il quale intende avere
Tricia  Santos
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
**Received ARC in exchange for honest review**

I gave Broken Dreams 2.5 leaves. I liked that this was a short, quick read. The content was kind of heavy, but, unfortunately because it was so short I found it hard to connect with the characters. I was told this was part of a series, but it could be read as a standalone. For the most part this was true. However, I feel like I would have liked the circle of friends a lot more if I had read the first book.

Rainey has a secret, one she won’t tell anyon
Amanda Peake
Book two by Dawn Pendleton

Okay same bias as last time. I can super relate to this book. I can’t say more than that without being spoilery.

This book picks up where the last one left off except this time our Main characters are Rainey and Baker (Chris Baker) as they navigate the terrain of learning that secrets aren’t always easy to keep. When the truth comes out sometimes you are surprised with the results. This book is about love and the fact that not every love story is easy. Sometimes loving m
Heather
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Dawn has managed to reel me in and hold me captive as I became reunited with the characters in the second book of the Broken Series. What I love about her writing is her ability to bring characters to life. Everyone we meet has a story. We all experience successes and failures, joy and pain, and we all have hopes, dreams, and fears. THIS is the story that Dawn is able to bring to life in her novels, especially, Broken Dreams and that is the very reason why I fell in love with her wri ...more
Annmarie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: coming-of-age
Rainey and Baker were only supposed to have a summer fling.
The delivery of this story was too detailed. Every minute piece of information was provided bogging down the story with unnecessary fillers. Sadly, that left me skimming through the story.
Many characters were introduced but they were used as distractions and fillers to further along the story.
For such a serious disease I'm disappointed at how blasé Rainey is acting. Calling her disease a burden on her life. Worrying about having a summe
Liezel Felix
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Broken Promises, Rainey was meeting with Mallory in Boston to tell her what her ultimate secret was. While I was thinking that it would be something worth being happy about ( maybe a pregnancy), I was quite mistaken. I really was not expecting that! I thought that Broken Promises was dramatic but this one was even more so.

I loved the character development better in this story and enjoyed reading how well intertwined all of the characters were. The loyalty and friendship they have amongst them
Calatasde
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013

Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autographed
Let me start out by saying that I read this out of order. I have not read the first one and even not having read the first one I still enjoyed this book. So I think it can be read as a stand alone.

Rainey has been away from her hometown for a few years and ends up coming back for the summer. Her mom isn't exactly mother of the year since she is an alcoholic and her father is dead. She just wants an uncomplicated summer and of course a nice summer fling with no strings attached.

Baker understands
Tanya Vought
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the 1st book, but this one blew me away!

I loved being in Rainey and Baker's heads! Esp Bakers!!!

Rainey- strong willed, determined, awesome woman! I admire her strength and understood her reservations regarding love/relationship with Baker!

Baker- bad boy, playboy, but NOT with Rainey! She had his heart years ago and now is SO happy she is home.
He knew she was hiding something but stood by her and waited. I loved him for that! This man was total swoon worthy! His words and actions he show
Lori
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked-it
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I really liked Rainey and Baker in Broken Promises so I was looking forward to getting to know them better in Broken Dreams. We don't have to wait long to find out what Rainey's secret is and that is good and bad. It is a central part of the story. But so is her relationship with Baker. That is all good. Baker is a pretty great guy. I really liked him and how he showed his devotion to Rainey.

I also like learning more about Wolfe a
Heather
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book both heartwarming and heartbreaking. This was much better than the first book. The main characters, Rainey and Baker were so wonderful together, which is what I was hoping for with Mallory and Luke in the first book. I liked how we were still kept up to date on the entire circle of friends and I did enjoy Mal and Luke more in this book.
Rainey, what can I say. My heart just melted for her. I found myself torn with being happy for her (her relationship with Baker) and feeling do
Jackie *Fire and Ice Book Reviews*
Wow, what a sad, but great story. I fell in love with Rainey in book 1, and now we get to read her story. However, I feel like it's not complete. Is there another book coming out about her? Baker is the best person for her. He is caring, and has loved her since day one.
Rainey reminds me of myself in a way. She is a strong female that you have to respect. This book was better then the first one, and I can't wait to read more by this author. This story really touched my heart. Baker is one of tho
Sara Luck
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Honestly, this book is just sad...yeah I guess you could say that Rainey gets her HEA, but not really, and Baker for sure doesn't. It's more a HEA for now, which really sucks. It is basically the book version of "a walk to remember" it's rough, and I cried through most of it, especially the end...even though it wasn't a complete ending. I don't know if Rainey and Baker will have a follow up book, or if their ending will be in Gabby and Wolfe's book, but it will end, and it will be heart wrenchin ...more
Jamie Hamaker
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Broken Dreams is #2 in the Broken Series.
In continuing the story of 6 friends in Casper, Maine.
Rainey Daniels has been keeping a secret since she left her small town of Casper, Maine three years ago. Now returning home to be with her best friend as her father dies has her wondering if leaving was such a good idea. Seeing fine-as-hell Chris Baker again just adds more questions than answers to her leaving.
Baker is the guy every woman wants, and no woman has. He is trying to keep his new bar up an
Sheila Pino
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really love the characters Rainey and Baker. They are perfect for each other. I love the entire group really but I did enjoy the love story of Rainey and Baker. I felt caught up the whirlwind of their romance. I was rather disappointed how it ended although I understand why it did. I'm really hoping that there is a 3rd book that will continue their story. I'm sure we will be hearing about Wolfe and Gabby but I don't think Rainey and Bakers story should end just yet. Please give them a happy en ...more
Michelle
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!

Rainey has been handed a hard life. She has grown up taking care of those around her when she REALLY needs someone to take care of her.
However because of her "issues" she does not want anyone to take care of her, because she does not want anyone to become attached.

Baker is a great guy who wants to be Rainey's knight in shining armor, he just doesn't know what he needs to save her from, or that he can't.

This story will make you feel every emotion you possibly could!!

Have a box
April H
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I want to start with this: I enjoyed the plot and that is why I gave it three stars. That being said, I felt as if some of the conversation between the characters was forced. Secondly, the book needed a few more edits. It seemed as if the author uploaded the version with TrackChanges. There were strange spaces everywhere, with underlines and spaces between letters when there shouldn't be. It looked like someone was editing it with TrackChanges and uploaded that version. Very disappointing becaus ...more
liane
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
First I was wonder why? Please change it.
But then I read some reviews and realize that it kind of a happy ending.
Like in the book this is the beginning of the end for her.

I am not going to lie I did tear towards the end because it is just so sad and happy.
Still a little sad over it.
But just makes me want to read the third book.

Maggie is so different then Mal.
She embraces life.
and Baker such a sweetheart.

Was hoping for a miracle.

Maria C
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how to feel about this book. I know I really liked it and enjoyed it but it left me feeling empty and sad. Yes, it had a somewhat happy ending that was beautiful but in a bittersweet way. I really liked the main characters, Rainey and Baker, she's strong and independent and he's wonderful! I can't wait for book #3 to hear more about them and learn more about Wolfe and Gaby.
Tracy Lundy-Munn
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Broken Dreams is the second book in the Broken series by Dawn Pendleton. The storyline was fabulous with lots of emotional and heartwrenching parts. The characters were amazing with tons of depth & emotion. Loved the chemistry and love between Baker & Rainey. Looking forward but a little sad to read the next book in this series!!
Kaitlyne
Book 2 = just as good as the first book! I've read the prologue for the 3rd book and I know for a fact it'll be as good as the last two books fersure! Just so sad for Rainey. Love the details and the imagery it gives. I like how its told it different perspective, it gives a lot of connotation. Read this book less than a week or so.
Rosemary
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed in this book considering how much I enjoyed the first one. I wish the characters were a little more developed and the ending left me hanging. It was like a cliffhanger but then it wasn't. I was expecting an epilogue or a look into the future but I didn't get any of that.
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • Down Outback Roads (Outback Dust #2)
  • The Fire Within (The Fire of The Soul, #1)
  • Twisted
  • Psi Another Day (Psi Fighter Academy, #1)
  • (Once) Again (Again, #2)
  • Red River (Tent City #2)
  • Eve and Adam: Chapters 1-5
  • Will The Real Abi Saunders Please Stand Up?
  • The Rift (Vessel of Souls, #1)
  • Forever Layla
  • The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series, #1)
  • Ghost Hold (The PSS Chronicles, #2)
  • Mountain Charm (Appalachian Hearts, #2)
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
  • End
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • Gathering Shadows (Finding Sanctuary #1)

Broken (3 books)
  • Broken Promises (Broken, #1)
  • Broken Pieces (Broken, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Rose Garden
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)