Start by marking “Love & Misadventure” as Want to Read:
Love & Misadventure

Love & Misadventure

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  39,518 ratings  ·  3,032 reviews
Lang Leav is a poet and internationally exhibiting artist. Awarded a coveted Churchill Fellowship, her work expresses the intricacies of love and loss.

Beautifully illustrated and thoughtfully conceived, Love and Misadventure will take you on a rollercoaster ride through an ill-fated love affair- from the initial butterflies to the soaring heights- through to the devastati
Paperback, First Edition, 176 pages
Published April 26th 2013 by Lang Leav

To ask other readers questions about Love & Misadventure, please sign up.
F No.

No, it is not.

No, it is not.

I'd suggest all readers who are interested in poetry to first, get better acquainted with the genre of poetry. Seek out the classics. Read Whitman. Read Shakespeare. Read Plath, cummings, Wallace, Neruda, Dickinson, Eliot, Keats, Yeats, Hughes, Angelou, Thomas, Ginsberg, Browning, Williams, etc, etc, etc. Will you like all these poets? Absolutely not. To be honest, I don't "enjoy" all of the poets I just listed. But reading them has helped me to comprehend what poetry was, is, and what it can be.

This is the thing. Poetry is hard. Poetry is immense. To read and to understand and then to eventually "love" the possibilities poetry, it's best to become acquainted with its infinite possibilities. As far as I've observed, the majority of readers who love this book haven't read much "real" poetry whatsoever. My apologies. I know this sounds totally arrogant, but the thing is is if you're relying on the ridiculous heft of Goodreads praise that's been levied for Leav, you're missing out on some of greatest contemporary poets of our generation. These are poets who might not get the same publicity--at least not via goodreads--but who have really truly pushed the form to its limits, developed their own idiosyncratic styles, and earned the accompanying accolades, e.g. Pulitzers, National Book Awards, etc.

Ada Lemon, Claudia Rankin, Kay Ryan, Ben Lerner, Brenda Shaughnessey, Ted Kooser, etc. There are too many options. There are too many to mention. But, in my opinion, pushing Leav is pushing poetry in the wrong direction. (less)

·  39,518 ratings  ·  3,032 reviews

karen
Jan 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pomes, welcome-author
this book has an average rating of 4.34 with 2,119 ratings. that's really high.

and it's terrible.

and i'm not one of these assholes that likes to trash something that other people like. usually i try to figure out who would like it, even if i didn't myself, because i'm just one reader yadda yadda ranganathan, but in this case, the only people i can see actually enjoying it are 13-year-old girls who are all starry-eyed over some boy. and that's fine - nothing wrong with little girls reading and w
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I've been reading this off and on for the longest time, but I finally made my way through the collection! I'll admit, I don't really know how to review poetry. I enjoyed this collection immensely and I definitely have the desire to pick up more works by Lang Leav. I think she depicted love in an excellent way, showcasing the good, the bad, & the straight up ugly.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Back when I was with my gamer ex-boyfriend, we would give each other cards containing stupid geeky poetry for Valentine's Day:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
All my base
Are belong to you.
As painfully silly as it is, that little snippet is still significantly better than the poetry in this book. At least it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Unless I've missed something and this book is meant to be some grand satire of the artistic sort. In which case, carry on!

If you think this is good poetry:
T
Greg
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok

Hear the song

Love & Misadventure is a book of poetry that made the leap from self-published works available on the internet to being available in your local bookstores in a physical copy you can own, keep, love, cherish, put on a shelf, carry in your bag, forget about, read again, give away to a thrift store or whatever else it is one does with things made from dead trees.

I'm not a poet, but this book did inspire me to write this little couplet:

I cry for all the dead trees,
for these poems y
Jane Kim
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
To the reviews that basically take a giant shit on Leav's ability as a poet,

You're missing the point.

I can only speak for myself completely, but I know many people would agree with me when I say that love does not need advanced prose. If what you're looking for is sheer structural and linguistic genius, then this is not the book for you; however, often, true feelings are raw. Prose that comes from these feelings shouldn't need any gimmicks to impact the human heart. In fact, even words at a ba
Florencia
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I dislike it a lot,
and I don't give a damn if it rhymes or not.

Dear Byron, Plath and Baudelaire,
Oh, Pizarnik, Rimbaud and Verlaine,
What the heck is this? I'm cursing like hell.
It was a painful experience; I need some air.

** The end **

Oh, yes. I dared.
Well. I am so mad because I had high hopes for this book. Sure, I was more intrigued by the misadventure part, but still I thought I would like it.
However, I found this:

(view spoiler)
Milena Wo
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Milena by: the stars
i enjoyed every poem from this book. actually, this is a great example and a reminder for me of what my life is composed of, of random miracles in a form of sentences or people that i have encountered on my way quite accidentally. without a thought or a bigger plan. in this way i am lucky, i need to admit. lucky to hit against things and images, people and twin souls that change and mark my life, make it somehow better, richer.
this book was and still is my friend.a collection of emotions in a fo
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
Nov 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I took some time to peruse this at the library because everyone's been getting excited about it on Tumblr.

I don't really know what I expected.. Love & Misadventure just wasn't for me. Given the hype, I guess I expected to read some really insightful and profound stuff, but instead what I got was this:

"I deplore,
being ignored.
For—
I am not a bore!"

What.

It's not my cup of tea.
Nov 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to like this poetry collection because a dear former student let me borrow it. I am dreading the talk we will have when I hand it back to her. Maybe I'll just say, "Thank you for sharing this book with me. That was very thoughtful of you." If the student asks me what I thought of the poems, I will shoot straight with her. I will tell her that I was mainly reminded of greeting cards when I read this collection. For example, take this poem "Always":

You were you, and I was I; we were two
Ariel
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoy reading modern poetry, especially by poets my age and poets that start their careers with an online following, and so I was really curious to see what Lang Leav had to offer! This collection had a few poems that I dog eared, and I found some of the ideas cute or interesting, but overall it wasn't my style of poetry. I don't think I'll be picking up anything else by Lang Leav, but that's okay! Life goes on! This is probably more like a 2.5 stars for me!
Kimberly Lloyd
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL READ but equally sad

one of my favorite parts:(

“It happens like this.

Miriam
Jan 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
This poetry is so terrible that at first I thought it was a joke, but apparently that is not the case.
Louisa
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
What strikes me about Lang Leav's poetry is that I could have written a fair amount of it when I was in primary/high school.

He makes me turn,
he makes me toss;
his words mean mine
are at a loss.

He makes me blush!

He makes me want
to brush and floss.

*stares at floss in my bathroom* *thinks romantic thoughts* *NOT*

I like poetry. I like reading it; I like writing it; it's something I wish more people were into, though I can certainly understand why they aren't. Maybe Love & Misadventure is a ton m
Mar 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don’t normally review books of poetry because, if I’m going to be honest, poetry has never been something I’ve traditionally gotten very excited about. However, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t bumped into poems here or there that have affected me somehow, and it is usually (which is the thing about poetry, I think) not what the poem is about per se so much as it is about how it makes you feel. Which then circles back to my point about not being overwhelmed by it in general because that part o ...more
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: karen
The bee, buzzing buzzing buzzing like a chansaw,
stings me in the eye--
OW!

I've created a tumblr page for my poems about my owwies. Please follow!

Poetry should make us feel. This poetry made me feel tired and kind of itchy and pretty fucking grumpy. SUCCESS.

That's a five-star book, right? Minus four for the goddamn ampersand. Plus four for feeling so feely about your feelings, and getting so many others to feel. Minus four for being so cranky about what feelings people have, and pissing on other
Manny
Jan 06, 2016 marked it as not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parody-homage
Lang Leav
Makes many of my friends heav
Influences "include Robert Frost"
I'm officially lost
Rose
Dec 03, 2013 marked it as not-my-cup-of-tea
Poetry is one of my first loves in writing, but I looked at some of the samples of the narratives from this and concluded it wasn't my thing. Too expensive of price for the quality of the poetry that's offered here.

Edit: Okay, I think I have something.

This Empty Rhyme
by Rose Summers

Interesting the weight of this book
Outweighs the words hidden inside.
For all the emotion carried within a look
You'd think it'd have nothing to hide.

If we're speaking the experience of love
What it means to be cloaked i
Nandakishore Varma
Review before reading

This book I've not read, but the poetic samples provided
In various reviews, have convinced me that it's best avoided.

Poetry is such a sublime art
That the words should come right from the heart;
If forced, it would only distress impart -
And sometimes what comes out is worse than a fart.

---------------------------------------------
Review after reading

Finally read this! Got a free copy
(Wouldn't spend money on something so sloppy!)
After reading this tome, I am filled with wonder
A
JV ❄️☃️❄️
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one, not even my dog!

Good lawdddd, have mercy! What did I just read?

This is perfectly, absolutely a recipe for poetry disaster! I'm not a poetry expert by all means, but I've read several poems that is immensely evocative when read, but this one, this one takes the cake for poems gone horribly wrong! Goodness gracious!

First and foremost, I would like to quote Leonardo da Vinci:
“Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”
That was a terse description of w
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Love it!

Q:
Sundays with Michael
I hold my breath and count to ten,
I stand and sit, then stand again.
I cross and then uncross my legs,
the planes are flying overhead.
The dial turns with every twist,
around the watch, around his wrist.
Resting there with pen in hand,
who could ever understand?
The way he writes of all I dream,
things kind yet cruel and in-between,
where underneath those twisted trees,
a pretty girl fallen to her knees.
Who could know the world we've spun?
I shrug my shoulders and hold my tong
Anuradha
Sep 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one who actually likes poetry
Recommended to Anuradha by: Every hilarious one star review on GR
I know I said that for a bit I would be busy,
But you all know how bad books send me into a frenzy.
I have a mountain of reviews to finish, I know,
But after reading this 'book', I just couldn't let go.
I think everyone here knows what a masochist I am,
I'm spending way too much time, trying to make this rhyme.

Now, I dabbled in poetry when I was about eleven,
Compared to this, even those poems were heaven,
Odes I dedicated to 'Spring' and 'Rain'
But Ms. Leav's poetry, I'm never touching again.
Better
Isa Lavinia
Feb 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those under 12

Is this parody?!

Heart on the Line
Love is good,
it is never bad—
but it will drive you mad!
When it is given to you,
in dribs and drabs.

to untie,
a complicated
knot.

*HACKS UP BLOOD*

This is that poetry you wrote at twelve, and you find while cleaning up your bedroom at seve
[Shai] Bibliophage
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
These are the poems that I like on this book: Just Friends, Afraid to Love, A Way Out, The Keeper, and Jealousy. Is it me or it is just that some of the poems included here are either lack in depth or feelings?

But despite of that, I really like Lost Things

and Dead Butterflies

especially the latter. I might have enjoyed these books of Lang Leav if I am either in love or heartbroken at the moment.
Summer
Jan 26, 2014 marked it as to-read
It looks like someone threw up adjectives, metaphors, and cliched phrases and smashed them all into one book.

I think this is Tahereh Mafi's long-lost twin. Just a theory.
Bonnie
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, poetry-verse
This poetry collection was brought to my attention when it popped up as a Nominee for the Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Poetry. I was intrigued. Then it placed 2nd, getting beat out by J.R.R. Tolkien, and I was eager to get this. Thankfully my library had a copy because $9.99 for the kindle version and it’s only 78 pages? No thanks. But I wanted this very much after seeing it beat out Mary Oliver, which means Love & Misadventure HAS to be impressive, right? Except this was like sappy teen ...more
Joshua
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am a massive fan of poetry. I am a big believer in words and the power they possess. So that's why when I heard that this is a book being comprised of poems, I was really beyond excited to get my hands on this paperback. But I was disappointed.

I KNOW I HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY THIS BUT SINCE IT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION, I WILL VOICE IT OUT. Some of the poems were.... Well, some were bad. God, I feel awful for saying that but that's what I honestly think. Some metaphors were too loose, out of the blu
Cara Durnin
Dec 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, poetry
Some of these verses were cute, but completely shallow. I finished this book feeling exactly the same as when I started, which is not how I wish poetry to affect me. Good poetry leaves a mark
Bennard
Feb 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody not even my worst enemy
from The Book Hooligan

I’m not really an avid reader of poetry and my expertise in the genre is minimal at best. However, I do appreciate well-written poems that I read every now and then. I remember that the first poem that I really liked, that had a profound effect on me, was Allen Ginsberg’s Howl which I read during an American Contemporary Literature class. Since then, for brief spurts of time, I read poetry whenever the inspiration to do so strikes. In this regard, I think I now have a handl
Becki
Fuck no!!!

Time

Time we have too much of
Time we didn't dare to care of
Time we were spilling
Time we were killing
Time we started losing
Time we started choosing
Time we began chasing
Time we dare to care of
Time we have to little of

By Miss Leavs skill level I should have been an accomplished poet when I was 15. Curse you maturity and intellectual reasoning.

You all should be honored. No one has ever clapped their eyes on this masterpiece before.
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
I haven't read this, but I was looking at some of the quotes and this caught my attention.
“We may be just two different clocks, that do not tock in unison.”

This has to be like the worst break-up line ever.
2015 Reading Chal...: Love & Misadventure by Lang Leav 1 22 Mar 31, 2015 10:37AM
  • Yasmin How You Know?
  • I Will Never Be Beautiful Enough to Make Us Beautiful Together
  • Survival Songs
  • Dirty Pretty Things
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • I Wrote This For You
  • Chasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series
  • B
  • Fairy Tale Fail (Chic Manila, #2)
  • Habang Wala Pa Sila: Mga Tula ng Pag-ibig
  • Stupid is Forever
  • Langit Vanilla
  • The Best of Chico & Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10
  • As Often As Miracles
  • The Anatomy of Being
  • Macarthur
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • Are You Mine?
Lang Leav is an international bestselling author and social media sensation. She is the winner of a Qantas Spirit of Youth Award and coveted Churchill Fellowship. Her books continue to top bestseller charts in bookstores worldwide and Lullabies, was the 2014 winner of the Goodreads Choice award for poetry.

Lang has been featured in various publications including the Sydney Morning Herald, the Strai
“It happens like this.

"One day you meet someone and for some inexplicable reason, you feel more connected to this stranger than anyone else--closer to them than your closest family. Perhaps this person carries within them an angel--one sent to you for some higher purpose; to teach you an important lesson or to keep you safe during a perilous time. What you must do is trust in them--even if they come hand in hand with pain or suffering--the reason for their presence will become clear in due time."

Though here is a word of warning--you may grow to love this person but remember they are not yours to keep. Their purpose isn't to save you but to show you how to save yourself. And once this is fulfilled; the halo lifts and the angel leaves their body as the person exits your life. They will be a stranger to you once more.

-------------------------------------------------

It's so dark right now, I can't see any light around me.
That's because the light is coming from you. You can't see it but everyone else can.”
1738 likes
“It was a question I had worn on my lips for days - like a loose thread on my favourite sweater I couldn't resist pulling - despite knowing it could all unravel around me.

"Do you love me?" I ask.

In your hesitation I found my answer.”
1049 likes