Start by marking “Blue Hydrangeas” as Want to Read:
Blue Hydrangeas

Blue Hydrangeas

(Blue Hydrangeas #1)

What if the person who knew you best and loved you most forgot your face, and couldn’t remember your name? A nursing facility is everyone's solution for what to do about Sara, but her husband, Jack, can't bear to live without her. He is committed to saving his marriage, his wife, and their life together from the devastation of Alzheimer’s disease. He and Sara retired years ...more
Published September 11th 2013 by Marianne Sciucco (first published April 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Hydrangeas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Hydrangeas

Start your review of Blue Hydrangeas
Cynthia Hamilton
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a sense of quiet foreboding in Blue Hydrangeas, starting from the first page, where we learn of Sara’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis. But there is a whole story ahead of us and it’s easy to become involved in the lives of Jack and Sara Harmon as the saga plays back in time and into an uncertain but treacherous future.

I had this book on my Kindle for a long time before I started reading it. I knew it was a fictional work about a couple struggling to find their footing once Alzheimer’s forever
Ruth
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine the feeling of walking into the home that you know so well and having the love of your life not recognize you even though you have been married 50+ years. Paul faces this issue as he has to decide if it is time for him to take Sara to live at an assisted living home where his wife can obtain around the clock care.

How do you decide to give up waking next to your spouse each day? When they have good days amongst the bad, how do you know when it is time? What do you do with yourself when
Story Circle Book Reviews
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Blue Hydrangeas is, by far, the most tender love story I've read in a very long time. While not a "happily ever after" love story, Blue Hydrangeas is sure to be one you will ponder for some time after you have finished reading it.

The subtitle is "an Alzheimer's love story." But while the book tackles the reality of life with Alzheimer's (for the person diagnosed with it as well as the friends and family members coping with it) Blue Hydrangeas is not just another book about Alzheimer's. It is a
Phyllis Peters
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Marianne Sciucco’s BLUE HYDRANGEAS is an Alzheimer’s love story that taps the reader gently on the shoulder. We turn to see Sara and Jack, a couple whose devotion to each other will break our hearts when the dreaded disease steps in.

Which it does immediately. As the story opens, Sara has just been diagnosed. Then suddenly, fast-forwarded to nine years later, we are dropped into her predicament. The couple’s dream home on the Cape—Blue Hydrangeas—functions as a bed-and-breakfast, but the cozy
One-Click
Audiobook

Narration - Elinor Bell - REALLY GOOD! Really!

Wow...
This is such an incredible book.
I lost my mother in April 2014 to Alzheimers. This book does an exceptional job of portraying, not only what the caregivers go through with this stupid disease, but what the diagnosee is going through as well. The confusion, the fear, the denial, the paranoia. The struggle for caregivers to try to keep the promises that they made to their loved one and the shame (maybe shame isn't the right word, but
Karen
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aging, dementia
**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

I worked for a quarter of a century as an English teacher before retraining to be a gerontologist, so I am very interested in literary representations of aging and age-related challenges. I was happy to read a novel about Alzheimer's Disease.

Sciucco tells a very sweet story about Jack and Sara, a long-time married couple who are trying to respond to Sara's worsening Alzheimer's Disease. They ran a bed-and-breakfast
Stacy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I won this book as a FirstRead.

It has been 9 years since Sara was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and her husband, Jack, is determined to take care of her at home no matter what. However, after one accident too many in their home, Sara's doctor and son decide it is time for Sara to be moved to an assisted living facility. Jack struggles with the idea of them not being able to live out the rest of Sara's days in Blue Hydrangea's, their family home that has always been Sara's dream.

You can feel the
L. Fabry
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm only giving it 4 out of 5 because I have no experience on the subject matter to draw upon.

Jack and Sara are about to go through the toughest challenge of their lives when Sara is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Fast forward nine years later, and we find life between them has drastically changed. As Jack struggles to hang onto his old life for just a little longer, the consequences of doing so become more dangerous for the whole family. But no matter how deep she slips, Jack is always able to
Teresa Kander
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-drama
**I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**

This is a beautiful, heart-breaking love story. It's the story of an older couple and their journey dealing with the wife's Alzeheimer's over a decade. There is humor, sadness, and so much love. It's so well written that you lose yourself in it and forget that it is a work of fiction.

I would highly recommend this for anyone of my age group who has begun to have trouble relating to the romantic stories of twenty-somethings. This
Kati
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***I received an e-copy of this book for free in exchange for my unbiased opinion of this book.

The story of Jack and Sara is a heart-breaking one as Sara goes through the journey of Alzheimer's disease. The devoted couple are put to the test as the disease worsens and Jack has a harder time taking care of Sara on his own. This is a gripping story and it flows well -- not a hard read at all. This book is excellent.
Julia A. McDonald
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully told story of love,loyalty and self sacrifice.

this story is a real heart breaker. a man's love for his wife and determination to care for her, even to his detriment is inspiring to say the least. It brings home the sad reality of caring for an Alzheimer patient and the difficult decision to let go. a must read for anyone who has a close friend or family member with this terrible disease.
Jean Lee
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While reading Marianne Sciucco's fictional story, I was taken back to the years of care-taking and decision making for my own parents who both died of Alzheimer's disease. Thank you, Marianne, for writing a beautiful love story portraying the honest devastation of the disease, yet reinforcing the desire to preserve the dignity of those afflicted.
Cathy
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free in exchange for my unbiased review.

Jack and Sara's story evolves amid the beautiful backdrop of Cape Cod. Theirs is a touching love story that faces the challenges and heartbreak of Alzheimer's disease. The characters are well-developed and the story portrays the progression of Alzheimer's in a realistic light. A very enjoyable book that I would recommend.
Suzanne Gunter McClendon
For those that have no experience with a loved one with Alzheimer's, this is an eye-opener.

For those that have walked this road before, it opens the floodgates of heartache and the memory of losing someone while they're still here.

It is a touching story of love and devotion, living the vows of "in sickness and in health, till death do us part".
Skywalker Payne
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a touching story of Jack and Sara whose marriage of over 50 years holds them together through the pains of Sara’s Alzheimers disease. Sciucco creates characters who are compelling and tells a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Debbie Hendrix
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sweet touching love story!! Jack and Sara do not want to live apart but Alzheimer's is giving them no choice. Love the fight Jack puts up to keep his promise to Sara. Live every day to the fullest because you never know when it can end!
Donna Riegel
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful story about Alzheimers and commitment to your
partner. It is a shame that all Alzheimers stories don't end happy
like this one did. My father has this disease and it is not very pretty!!!!
Leigh Ann
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular Book

this was eye opening to what a person goes throught who has Alzheimer's disease along with their families and friends. The story was heart felt and wonderfully written.
NancyL Luckey
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Got this ebook from Amazon's Daily Deals. Read it in one sitting. So sad what Alzheimer's does to families.
Myeve123
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A touching love story. My father has Alzheimer and my heart goes to my mother who has to care for him. This book reminds me how little time we have left.
Hebe Diaz
Alyssa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nancy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LostKnight
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written book regarding the pitfalls and pratfalls involved with Alzheimer's disease.

Because this dilemma is growing, i highly recommend this book, fellow Readers.

It is very well written, a pleasant read. The characters have depth, are well described and i could picture them in my mind's eye. The upswing is these are all positive people, Sara's husband is totally devoted.

This was written from a real positive viewpoint, from the advantage having money brings.

These people
Anne Rightler
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blue Hydrangeas by Marianne Sciucco is a wonderful story of enduring love. Sara and Jack have been married for half a century and now Alzheimer's is about to significantly change their lives. The author insightfully and accurately portrays the emotions and reactions of the individual and the family in regards to this devasting journey they are navigating. I was quickly drawn into the story and pretty much listened to it in one 'sitting'--I was doing housework! Such a hopeless situation and yet ...more
Linda Brendle
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blue Hydrangeas is a beautifully written novel that tells the story of a man’s all-consuming love for his wife who is suffering from Alzheimer’s. It is also the story of how this terrible disease affects the entire network of family and friends that surrounds the affected person. Marianne Sciucco does not mention a personal connection with Alzheimer’s, but I’m sure she has dealt with it in her career as a nurse. She definitely writes about the dementia experience with the insight and sensitivity ...more
Nancy Hayes
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alzheimer's! Such a sad disease.

This story of two people very much in love in their older years and then the person he loves becomes someone else. This book would be beneficial to someone who is seeing what Alzheimer is doing to some one they love dearly. It shows how difficult it becomes to care for that person no matter how much you love them. Hopefully, it will help others to make the decision when it is time to let their love one be under the care of others. It is a beautiful love store but
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caregiving, romance
Sweet story about an aging couple whose golden years are different than what they expected and how their family’s lives are impacted. More than a romance... we are taken on a journey of emotional decision making. The writing from the perspective of Sara who has Alzheimer’s enhances the story allowing the reader a peek inside of what living with this disease could feel like. Ultimately this reminds me that home is really not about the place but the people we share this life with.
Peggy Bushy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book.
Not only is it something that any person, couple, or caregiver can relate to but it's a beautiful story of love and inspiration. I wanted the story to go on forever.

This book would be a great gift for someone you know who is, or has been a caregiver. It really is heartwarming.
Lynn Demsky
This is a heartwarming love story of a very dear couple, their families, friends and how they cope with Alzheimer’s disease. I couldn’t put it down and finished it in one reading – just brings back so many memories of people I’ve known who are or who have suffered this horrible disease!
« previous 1 3 next »
Free Audible Vouc...: Blue Hydrangeas, an Alzheimer's love story 1 11 Mar 14, 2015 02:10PM

• The Perfect Gene Diet: Use Your Body's Own APO E Gene to Treat High Cholesterol, Weight Problems, Heart Disease, Alzheimer's...and More!
  • The Collector
  • Twitter of Night Nightingale
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3)
  • All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #3)
  • Tears of the Silenced
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)
  • Maggie's Way (Montana Bound, #1)
  • Valley's Reach (Hope Rising #2)
  • Finding Tomorrow
  • Brain Dead
  • Mail Order Bride: Montana Brides and Babies (Western Brides Sweet Romance Book 1)
  • Michelle Vernal Box Set - Second Hand Jane, Staying at Eleni's, The Cooking School on the Bay and The Promise
  • Beside Still Waters (Big Sky #1)
  • Winter's Secret (Northern Intrigue, #1)
  • Dare to Dream Again
  • The Passions of Chelsea Kane
I'm not a nurse who writes but a writer who happens to be a nurse. A lover of words and books, I dreamed of becoming an author when I grew up, but became a nurse to avoid poverty. I later brought my two passions together and write about the intricate lives of people struggling with health and family issues.

My debut novel, BlueHydrangeas, an Alzheimer’s love story, is a Kindle bestseller,