Start by marking “California Girls! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #5)” as Want to Read:
California Girls! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #5)

California Girls!

(The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #5)

Who would believe it - the Baby-sitters have won the lottery! And with their winning money, the girls are all going with Dawn to... California!

What adventures they have. Jessi lands a (tiny) part in a TV show, Kristy gets into a kind-of-fight with Dawn's We Love Kids Club, and Stacey turns into a surfer girl! And in between all that excitement, they still have time for bab

Published August 1st 2013 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about California Girls!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about California Girls!

3.5 Stars

Review coming soon...
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The thing I remember most vividly about this book was that the girls won the lottery and decided to go to California, and Mallory felt like the ugly duckling so she spent a bunch of money and time trying to look super hot with pricey beauty treatments and hairstyles. Because of this, when the girls get to be extras in a movie for like a second, Mallory is excluded because she looks too fake and they want the crowd to look natural. She's totally bummed. I remember being surprised that anyone woul ...more
Nancy
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
In which a group of 13 year olds win the lottery and go to OMGCALIFORNIA. STFUDawn hates Carol - who, at 32, acts pretty much the same way I do, and I'm 34, so STFU, Dawn. Stacey surfs, Caludia falls in LUV with another Asian, K. Ron takes over the We *stupid hearts symbol that drives me crazy* Kids Club, and MA frets. In other news, Jessi is an extra who surprisingly experiences no racism, and Mel-ry is a complete asshole. Seriously, I hate Mal so much in this book. I want to maim her.
Ciara
goddamn, this book is boring. the premise is that the connecticut state lottery has climbed to 23 million dollars. claudia has been buying tickets, but all the babysitters chip in to buy seven tickets & watch the draw together at a slumber party at kristy's house. dawn's ticket has five of the six numbers, so the babysitters win $10,000. ludicrous. they use the money to fund a vacation to california, where they all stay at dawn's dad's house. i can't even fathom how huge his house must be, t ...more
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun story about the babysitters club winning money in the lottery and deciding to go on a vacation to California. They stayed with Dawns dad and brother. Made new friends and also had lots of fun adventures.
Ashley Purdy
Three stars for nostalgia’s sake and the legit laughing out loud I did at phrases like “dibbly fresh.” 😆
Ashley
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, 2019, ebook, bsc, own
This might be the most iconic of the Super Specials, I don't know. Maybe I'm just blinded by Mal's blonde hair. Either way, it's definitely one of the more fun and exciting Super Specials, what with all the exciting plots.

Needed more Jeff, though.
Logan Hughes
Apr 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
The Baby-sitters Club buys a block of lottery tickets and wins $10,000, which they use to fly themselves to California to vacation at Dawn’s father’s house. Their adventures:
Kristy scorns the disorganized We ♥ Kids Club, but slightly changes her tune when Dawn’s friends prove their knowledge about the children they sit for.
Mary Anne baby-sits Stephie Roberts, who has asthma. Mary Anne keeps fretting about a possible asthma attack, insisting Stephie can’t do things like roller-skate or go on outi
Kelsey Stewart
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Baby-Sitters Club series was to me at 9, what Sex And The City is to me at 27. Oddly enough, I didn't really enjoy babysitting and only did it a handful of times when I was a teen. But I totally considered myself part of this pre-teen sisterhood of do-gooders. I also have not an ounce in common with rich, thirty-something single Manhattanites. So I guess things don't really change.

Back to BC Club. There was the one that annoyed me: Mary Anne was a total bully bitch in my mind (but with good
Juliana
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved it as usually,i don't really have bad reviews.I love all the books that i read(sometimes)
Shira
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
finally a super special that I enjoyed (the first since Baby-Sitters on Board!)! our favorite baby-sitters win $10k in the lottery and decide to spend it on a trip out to california to hang out with dawn's family. they each respond to the different setting in a different way (check out character plotlines), most of which fit their characters pretty perfectly. dawn is the overarching narrator in this one (two in a row -- she narrated Baby-sitters' Island Adventure).

character plotlines:
-dawn: hate
Leah
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one is in California over a school holiday. Jessi visits a child actor she sometimes baby-sits and works as an extra on his show. Mallory gets a makeover. Stacey learns to surf and gets into an accident. Claudi dates a boy that's as smart as her sister. Dawn gets to know her Dad's girlfriend. Kristy and Mary Anne baby-sit. All of the girls go to the beach, many amusement parks, and take a driving tour of famous homes.
Kate
Somehow, these 7 girls get to go on vacation together, to California to visit Dawn, because THEY WON THE LOTTERY. Setting aside how ridiculous this concept is... Mallory dyes her hair blonde and wants to be a movie star, Mary Anne baby-sits for a girl with emotional athsma, etc. When Mallory finally realizes that her hair looks terrible, it's Stacey to the rescue because apparently once Stacey thought she'd look good as a redhead then had to dye her hair back to blonde.
Cheryl
I reread this for Terrible-Book-Club. I'm giving this book 3 stars because it really isn't that terrible for a young adult/children's book. I LOVED BSC when I was a kid! As an adult, however, it's just so silly. The plot is silly and the characters are silly. But none of this detracts from how I felt about these books 20 years ago.
Rachel Brand
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, children, own
A fun read, but I definitely prefer the original series - the characterisation in the Super Specials isn't always as good, and the fact that seven storylines are going on all at once sometimes bugs me. Despite this, the Sea City special was one of my favourite books when I was a kid!
Palak
lisa
The baby sitters win the lottery, or I guess, part of the lottery. The use their winnings to travel to California to visit Dawn's family. Of course they have crazy adventures. This was one of the few super specials I didn't like as a kid.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
I had assumed the whole time I read this series that Dawn was a vegetarian, but I remember reading that she asks for chicken as her meal on the plane, and thinking "WHAT! Dawn's not a real vegetarian!" Lots of books d
Nicolette
Claudia is the worst. I might have to start skipping her books just to avoid the spelling errors.

Love Mal, as aways.

Universal Studios and Medieval Times are described exactly as I remember them!
Samantha
I hated this as a kid, and I hate it now. I just thought it was all so incredibly stupid! Also the plot with Stacey totally happened once on Full House (the whole riding with older kids who like to speed and do dumb shit in the car). C'mon.
Lisa O
Don’t think I can quite describe this book as dibbley fresh, but’s it’s not stale either. Thought it was shocking (and not true to character) that Dawn ordered the chicken on the flight to LA and never completely recovered from the blow. 😳🤭🤯
Debra
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my written review, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Stephanie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
3.5

This was my favorite of the BSC super specials when I was younger
Leane
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I remember reading this one before. Not 100% sure.

I always enjoyed when we visited California. I liked Dawn's father and Jeff was the best sibling to me.
Heidilore
Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #5-California Girls

This edition is a Super Special, which means the girls get into zany adventures that no normal pre-teens/early teens could possibly entertain. In this particular book, the girls WIN THE LOTTERY. To be specific, they win ten thousand dollars in the Jack-O’-Lottery. I don’t think this has absolutely anything to do with Michael Jackson; if it does, apologies are in order. So, the very feasible plot device enables the girls to go visit California du
Julie Decker
The girls have a vacation in California, which involves all of them meeting new people and having adventures (both exciting and dangerous), and Kristy goes head to head with Dawn's babysitting club, unimpressed with their abilities until she finds out the special challenges they face.

Unfortunately, this book had most of the girls literally learning lessons they've already learned in previous books, and they did so in such a way that their storylines were intertwined, enabling them all to learn p
Miriam
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Baby Sitter club is one of my favorite series. Each one is an adventurousa novel, and you feel like your in it. I would only recomment this to young girl adults becuase its mostly on a girl's point of view. In this book Super Special 5, they win the lottery. They do so many things with the money, and they go to a lot of different places. I did'nt really enjoy this book as much as the other books in the series, but i still think that everyone should read it. All in all, Super special 5 is a b ...more
April
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Alex
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had way too much fun re-reading this book while I was sick.

The BSC wins the lottery (of course they do) and decide to visit California for two weeks of unrealistic adventures that no 13 year olds would ever have. Oh, and Mallory acts like a huge idiot as per usual.

It may be ridiculous, but I still love it.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This was a nice book. The BSC win some money in the lottery - not much when you split it up between the girls, but still enough for them to have a trip to California. It's been a while since I read this book but I remember Mallory dying her hair blonde, wanting to look more like a superstar. Overall it was a pretty enjoyable book for a BSC fan back in the day.
Donna
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember this was my favorite book to read in the summer when I was young...I so wanted to be a Babysitter's club kid and this book made it worse-they all went and hung out in Cali!! Def one of my fav read's from childhood.

• Keeping Secrets (Sweet Valley Twins, #12)

The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Baby-Sitters on Board! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #1)
  • Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #2)
  • Baby-Sitters' Winter Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #3)
  • Baby-sitters' Island Adventure (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #4)
  • New York, New York! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #6)
  • Snowbound (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #7)
  • Baby-sitters at Shadow Lake (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #8)
  • Starring the Baby-sitters Club! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #9)
  • Sea City, Here We Come! (Babysitters Club Special, #10)
  • The Baby-Sitters Remember (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #11)
“Love Lucy,” agreed Claud. “Only we won’t try to steal John Wayne’s” 0 likes