Start by marking “Claudia and the Great Search (The Baby-Sitters Club, #33)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Great Search (The Baby-Sitters Club, #33)

Claudia and the Great Search

(The Baby-Sitters Club #33)

It's no secret that Claudia and her sister are different. For one, they don't look alike at all. Claudia loves her wild clothes and funky jewelry, and Janine dresses. . .well, kind of nerdy. Janine is a genius, and Claudia brings home C's--when she's lucky.

Claudia opens the family photo album to see what she and her sister looked like when they were little. But there are h
Kindle Edition
Published September 24th 2013 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published April 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Great Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Great Search

Ciara
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
god, i love the claudia books! her narrative voice is so hilarious. this one opens with claudia counting down the minutes in science class until she can leave to head over to the high school for an awards ceremony. her older sister, janine the genius, is being given a very prestigious science award. mr. & mrs. kishi are beside themselves with pride. claudia is not looking forward to it at all, because she feels like she's a dummy & that her parents would like her better if she was a geni ...more
Logan Hughes
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
Claudia becomes convinced that she was secretly adopted.

Inspired by Kristy’s adopted sister Emily Michelle, Claudia wonders if she, too, was adopted. It would explain her differences in appearance and personality from her parents and Janine, and the suspicious comparative disparity in number of baby pictures between the two daughters. After reading the book Find a Stranger, Say Goodbye, she launches into full Nancy Drew investigation mode. She seeks out medical and birth announcement records, an
Kate
I never quite understood this book. Claudia, who is Japanese-American, is somehow convinced that she was adopted by her Japanese-American family after spending some time with Kristy's adopted sister Emily (a 2-year-old from Korea). She is convinced of this because her sister Janine is smart, while Claudia couldn't spell to save her life, and because she likes to read Nancy Drew, which her mother the librarian thinks is "trash." Plus there are hardly any pictures of Claudia as a baby! In the end ...more
Ashley
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, reread, ebook, bsc, own
I like when Claudia gets a chance to shine, and to show that she's not as dumb as her spelling implies. It was great seeing her helping Emily learn, even if we didn't get to see very much of it. Her stressing about being adopted wasn't my favourite plot, but the scene where she confronts her parents about it was pretty sweet.
Shira
this is my first time reading this book!

for a bunch of totally ludicrous reasons, claudia develops a theory that she is adopted. she tries to find evidence of it and even tries to find her "birth parents". meanwhile, emily michelle brewer is having a rough time -- she is having attachment problems (which makes sense because her birth mother died and she got sent to live with a new family pretty recently) and she is having language acquisition problems (which makes sense because she only heard vi
Lisa Birch
Jul 31, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was written by Ann, who I do love, but man, I hated this book.

Claudia is all angsty about Janine being awarded something else (doing the most classes at community college while at high school), and feels like she doesn't belong in her family at all. After spending time with Kristy's adpoted sister, Emily Michelle, Claudia becomes convinced that she must have been adopted.

Seeing as the adoption search needs to take up a whole novel, there are lots of false leads and stupid things that ha
Courtney
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brooke
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s millions of reasons why Claudia Kishi might be my favorite babysitter.

1. Her style is so amazing, especially on pg. 10: black miniskirt, oversized white shirt with hot pink and turquoise poodles, turquoise flats with ankle straps, poodle earrings, and huge pink barrette in high side ponytail and on pg. 139: Day-Glo striped shirt and skinny knit pants (my other favorite on the page was Jessi’s ballet leotard with jeans.).

2. She makes me laugh (especially when she thought she was adopted).
Sara Bee
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was THE book, the exact book, that made me fall in love with reading. I had hated reading before, I'd thought it was boring. My mom bought this to give as a gift to my older cousins and said I was too young to read it (I was 6). But I was curious. So I sneakily read it. And then it was all over. I was obsessed with reading, it was the thing that defined me for most of my childhood. Thank you Ann M. Martin, for wonderful characters, and for writing a thoughtful book about an Asian-American g ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
If you've read preceding Claudia books, you will know she does not have it easy in her family, especially now that her beloved grandmother is dead. In that sort of state, it's not hard to see how the events in this book would unfold, and the ending is as cheesy as you might expect, but it's still a decent book. 3.5/5 stars.
Booboo
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite bsc books. Claud thinks she’s adopted and goes on a search for her birth parents, and meanwhile Emily Michelle, kristys adopted sister is having trouble with English and development. Can Claud find her birth parents and help Emily? Find out!
Samantha
Honestly I can really believe that Claudia would think she's adopted. She's sort of an uber misfit in her family, so really it could have happened. This is the BSC-verse though, so naturally it didn't haha. Oooh the plots! Oh the anxiety!
Lulu
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was 😎 awesome. From thinking Claud was right to thinking she was wrong I definitely reccomend this book.
Moo
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claudia gets to tutor Kristy's little sister Emily!
Nicolette
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good for a Claudia book.

It felt like the Kishi’s need for cash “in the middle of the night” should be a lead in for something sinister...
lisa
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For some bizarre reason Claudia becomes convinced that she is adopted in this book. I know all kids go through a phase where they are sure they are adopted, but Claudia acts like lunatic about it. I read this when I was a little older, probably eleven, so I didn't quite have the patience for it.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
Claudia's science class frustrations. I don't know why Claudia's gripes about school stick out so much in my mind, but I'm guessing it's because I was a prett
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Claudia starts suspecting that she was adopted because the germ of the idea was planted in her head through her relationship with adopted child Emily Michelle, in Kristy's family. After all, Claudia's the black sheep of her family: weird fashion, looks different, isn't smart like Janine, no one gets her . . . and . . . SHE CAN'T FIND BABY PICTURES OF HERSELF OMG. She then starts Nancy Drewing it up and conveniently all kinds of clues point to her having been adopted. But they're all also pretty ...more
Julie Decker
With a new adopted sister in Kristy's family, Claudia's got adoption on the brain. She's always known she's different from most of the people in her family, and she starts to strongly suspect that she may have been secretly adopted herself--after all, she doesn't really resemble her parents, there aren't any baby pictures of her and tons of her sister, and she has different tastes and values. What if there's something her parents never told her?

Though I do really like that Claudia did find which
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Jenn
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
Okay, so this is the one where Claudia suddenly freaks out and thinks she's adopted, because she can't find any baby pics of her and she's nothing like Super Genius Janine. And she over-identifies with Kristy's new sister, Emily Michelle, who IS adopted.
full review here.
Allison Floyd
Maybe I'm on Team Stacey, but this revisited installment of the BSC struck me as kind of boring. This is probably because we of course know how it's going to turn out, and the search itself amounts to so much administrative tedium. And there weren't nearly enough boys and outfits!

Oh well, they can't all be Stacey's Lie....
Heather
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I LOVED this one - I also became convinced that maybe I was adopted, which is hilarious b/c my parents have pics of me at the hospital, and I look EXACTLY like my mom. Oh well, at least I was imaginative...
Marte Patel
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chelsey
Recommended to Marte by: Roisin
Claudia thinks she's adopted and searches for the truth, while tutoring Emily to help her get a place in kindergarten. I love the descriptions of their clothes, and the drawings on the front covers. Pure 80s!
Kelly Robson
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading books on sex and violence I thought I'd revisit my youth and re-read some of the babysitters club books. Finished this book quickly as it's not very long, but the characters are described well.
Yue
I've never understood how Claudia was so bad with her spelling and grammar when she was a fan of Nancy Drew's books. I mean, if she is an avid reader (no matter the genre) then she should be able to spell, right?
Nancy
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
In which Caludia demonstrates her alleged "above average" intelligence by deciding she's adopted and wasting everyone's time instead of just talking to her parents. Of course, the Cult isn't really that into consulting adults for any reason at alll.
Amy Holcomb
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Maria Elmvang
What is it with these kids and jumping to conclusions and not talking to adults about it? Horribly frustrating!

• The War Between the Twins (Sweet Valley Twins, #37)
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 131 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)