Start by marking “The Conversationalist” as Want to Read:
The Conversationalist

The Conversationalist

A new incarnation of The Conversationalist is in the works. I will probably incorporate this dark psychological tale into a quartet of other horror novellas I'm tentatively titling HORRORSTRUCK. Please be on the lookout for this book.

OUT OF PRINT --- this version of The Conversationalist is out of print.

Reviewed in the Anacortes American by Jacob Buckenmeyer: "This suspens
ebook
Published May 30th 2013 by Green Darner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Conversationalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conversationalist

Start your review of The Conversationalist
Char
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick doesn't seem to have one normal relationship in his entire life. He's a teacher and he deals with his students as necessary, but he and his sister don't get along very well and other than his coworker Margo, there's no one else in his life. So when he goes out on a date with Wendy, I had high hopes for him-but alas. It goes so poorly that Patrick leaves while Wendy's in the ladies room. Why? You'll have to read this novella to find out!

As many of you already know, I think that the novell
Maria
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading Sandcastle and Other Stories by this author, I was looking forward to reading more of his work. The Conversationalist is a wonderful literary fiction novella. It is clear that the author is serious about his craft. He engages the reader with descriptive narrative and realistic dialogue. The two main characters in this book seem all too real. They have a past, and that has shaped their present. Everything they do is tainted by dark secrets in their past. I love this style of writing ...more
Laura Thomas
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Conversationalist is tagged as psychological horror. Being a genre I really enjoy, I crossed my fingers and gave it a go. It’s unpredictability makes for quite the page turner. And, as mentioned in the synopsis, it has an aura of old time edgy horror. I can see this playing out in black and white on the movie screen.

Patrick is such an odd bird. I’m still wondering what to make of him after finishing this story. You get right inside his head, and you really need to keep on your toes as you fa
Ben Ditmars
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Author Justin Bog has written something evocative. His characters are relate-able and at other times unfathomable. They linger someplace between caring and detachment. I feel similar desperation in my own life - trying to be there for others while moving myself forward. There's a balance we must all find. Patrick and the other characters are not able to find this, and are stuck within relationships -professional and personal- that become largely destructive. The Conversationalist is brilliant in ...more
Dee
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What if the girl you've been out with for a few casual dates started talking obsessively about death and dying? What if your past makes it harder to know what to do, to listen? Wendy and Patrick are such a couple. Dark and chilling, ride-a-long with Justin Bog as he makes you sweat. The Conversationalist gives you a twisted path through the maze of two damaged people and makes you glad to be who you are by the time you put it down.
Kimberly Hicks
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thrill Seekers
Recommended to Kimberly by: Sage's Blog Tours
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Wow, what an interesting read! You know me, I love scary books. Someone is always asking me why I love them so, and I guess it’s the rush of fear I get that takes me on a natural high. This story is a novella and can be read in about an hour or so. There’s other short stories in the book as well, which was an added bonus.

Patrick is an ordinary guy, or so one would think? Actually, Patrick is sort of a loner that’s trapped inside a world of needy people which aggravate him. He goes on a date with
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
The Conversationalist is set in the San Juan Islands with the basic theme of modern day dating scene. Patrick is the odd one out in the town and everyone thinks that there is something wrong with him. Living in his deceased parents’ cottage we get a glimpse into Patrick’s life and his mind all the while he struggles to ‘date’.

This Novella is aptly tagged as a psychological thriller. In most cases, we see that the psychological aspect just touches the base and thrills without an edge – but not in
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read Justin's first book Sandcastles And Other Stories, a fantastic book, so I didn't hesitate to pick this one up. He doesn't disappoint! This is one powerful read. Patrick has a very heavy load to carry in life. People say he's cold and don't really know what he's all about. He tells us about his relationship or lack of one with different ladies in his life since coming back to the family cottage after his parents die. It's hard to know when someone really needs you to listen or is it jus ...more
Stephen Moran
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This novella creeps into a rising tension that builds throughout the piece, gathering a slow power that hits squarely in the last chapter to masterful effect.

The quiet descriptive passages and almost whisper soft demeanor of the narrator hide the suspense as the chapters progress. I found myself entranced and unable to stop reading, as if this book were an action thriller instead of an intense character study.

Justin possesses an uncanny ability with words that evokes powerful imagery without slo
Amy
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Sandcastles by Justin Bogs when it first came out and really enjoyed it. The Conversationalist is a whole different thing. I love horror short stories and this one had me guessing rift til the end. Looking forward to more by Mr. BOG.

I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway but the opinions expressed are solely my own.
Stacey
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novella masters the character of the hero in a way that reminded me of what was best about the novels of John Updike, to name one example. Justin Bog captures this character so well that I felt like I was walking around in his shoes. It is nice to see a master craftsman at work.
Justin Bog
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The characters haunted me long after I wrote down their story.
Heather
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a chilling story. The main character was interesting in his flaws. The plot twists in such a way that the characters and the story will stay with you long after you finish.
Eden Baylee
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** Suspense and horror told brilliantly ***

Author Justin Bog is teasing us with the title of his novella, “The Conversationalist,” as it’s about a man who is anything but.

The protagonist, Patrick, goes about life untouched by emotion, or so it seems. It’s difficult to know what he’s thinking unless he expresses it. It’s for this reason you hang on his words, few as they are.

Perfect pacing fills the reader with a false sense of calm until a secret is revealed. In this discovery, we gain insigh
Beagle Lover (Avid Reader)
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, sadly
The Conversationalist: Horrorstruck Novella One .5 stars. A total disappoinment. Not at scary and horribly predicatble or nonsensical plot for all three stories contained within this book. The first novella, The Coversationalist, was everywhere at once with no disernable plot and an extremely predicable ending.

The second shorst story, The Night, was utterly a mismash of supposed terror and the unknown, but came off as more of the authors's imigination running amuck with no sense of direction.

T
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done-reading
Horror struck Novella One: "The Conversationalist" by Justin Bog

I found this quote for this book: "Everything you can imagine is real".

This new revamp of this book is very evident. The author totally rocked the cover, it says so much on its own. The stories I've read in the first edition were good, but you can tell the author revisited his story and tweaked them. The characters get inside your head because it's not hard to imagine their story. My feelings were all over the place with Patrick's
Janice
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I read this book in one night Hard to put down.Patrick is a damaged man but we don't really know how damaged. The book makes references to his past with his parents and it seems they are who 'damaged' Patrick and his sister Jobeth. He's aware that he is unable to relate to people around him but he's not really sure why. His inability to relate to his latest girlfriend Wendy ends badly and from there his life begins to fall ...more
Jessica Bronder
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick is a normal guy that lives in his dead parent’s house and wants to be left alone by these people that are so needy. But his friends think he needs a girlfriend so he finds himself on a date with Wendy. Wendy is prattling away to Patrick and he just doesn’t care. That is until she starts talking about how her mother died horribly and now she has a fear of death. This sparks something in Patrick and he leaves her at dinner. Then someone is threatening Patrick. Could it be Wendy, she was re ...more
Tammy Conatser
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is eery, creepy, and totally enticing. you will not be able to put it down. i had chills up and down my arms and back with this character and his demeanor. you can't understand why he is the way he is until his secret is revealed. all you know is that he's not right. and something just doesn't fit, until it clicks all into place. i couldn't put it down! its a must read! I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book, through Reading Deals, and I gave an honest review.
GracieKat
I really, really like the cover. It looks creepy and professionally done. I was also really psyched to read it with all of the rave reviews in the beginning.

I'm having a hard time with this, really. Other people might like it better than I did. It's well-written and I did particularly like chapter five. It definitely shows an in-depth perception of people who are solitary creatures rather than social butterflies.

I just didn't find the twist all that compelling or the ending all that believable.
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Horror struck Novella One: "The Conversationalist" by Justin Bog

I found this quote for this book: "Everything you can imagine is real".

Michael
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a firm believer that all of humanity have an innate darkness inside of them. A part of us that we are scared to show the world and even more scared to admit to ourselves. Sometimes it’s a darkness that we don’t even know is there. That face looking back at us in the mirror and the façade it’s seeing. I like literature and stories which explore this, stories that while we are reading make us raise our eyebrows at the realization that we just saw a part of ourselves in what we just read. The ...more
Abdur Rahman
On the first look it is the cover and the description that allured me. The cover looked captivating and the description promised lot of thrill with something scary hiding in between. The concept is definite winner at least for me but what about the execution.

Instead of interpreting it as a horror-struck novella, it should be confessed as a collection of short stories. Yes! it has two more stories which are way more compelling than the main one.

Story As It Goes
“Conversationalist” is about a prof
#artdamnit Reads
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Conversationalist: Horrorstruck Novella One by Justin Bog was a horror story (I guess?) about a man named Patrick with Mommy issues who can’t hold onto a girlfriend. One night he goes on a date, walks out on his date, and then he starts getting threats in the form of prank calls and voodoo dolls. He also has a cat named Roadway - which is an odd name for a cat.

I did not like this story. It was rambling, confusing, and not very horror feeling. The whole story is told from Patrick’s point of
Jessica Rickert
A very vanilla horror story. It was a little rambled and hard to follow but I really liked the second story.

I won this story for free on the Good reads giveaways.
Booked-up22
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
I was able to read this novella by Justin Bog, for free through @ReadingDeals. This is my first book by this author, and I will be reading more . This book was really different, with a Hitchcock vibe. Patrick is a teacher, a bit odd, not much luck with women. His friends set him up on a date with Wendy, and while at dinner, which Patrick is bored, he excuse himself to use the restroom, and never returns.
Things in Patricks life start to go down hill after that, with odd calls, gifts etc. But thin
Harriet
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enthralling, ironic, darkly entertainingnovella. I love Bog’s writing. His. Haracters get me hooked right away, amd keep me moving alongand learning. The Conversationalist is well worth the read.
Green Darner
Jul 22, 2013
Sharon Anderson
Jan 14, 2018
Alycia
Jan 07, 2019
Bad Dates 1 4 Jun 21, 2013 07:59PM
Justin Bog is a member of the ITW: International Thriller Writers

Justin Bog lives in the Pacific Northwest on Fidalgo Island, and is the author of psychological horror and suspense tales.

Wake Me Up won Foreword Silver INDIES Book Award for LGBT novels!

Wake Me Up won First Place Somerset Book Award!

Sandcastle and Other Stories was a Finalist for the Ohioana Book Awards 2014 and also named Best Susp