Start by marking “The Queen of Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Dreams

The Queen of Dreams

(The Queen of Dreams #1)

Taggie and Jemima are summer holidaying on their dad's farm. They know just what to expect - a tumbledown cottage, sunshine and strawberry-picking. But then Jemima sees a white squirrel wearing glasses . . . And things become even more extraordinary when their dad is captured and whisked away to a faerie world.

Magical adventures await, as the two sisters discover powers th
Published January 2nd 2014 by David Fickling Books

Paul
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
Jemima and her older sister Taggie are just ordinary girls, but with their parents having split they spend time with each of them. Their mother drops them off with their father for two weeks of the summer holiday. Up until now, their dad has seemed normal, but very soon after arriving they realise that all is not as they thought. The girls first surprise is seeing a white squirrel in the orchard, not common, but not as uncommon as one earing purple glasses. Soon after they see their dad being ki ...more
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
The Queen of Dreams is a fun book for fans of The Chronicles of Narnia. It really reminded me of C.S. Lewis's magical masterpiece of a series, right down to the fiesty young characters, wintery realms and lanterns. If I'm honest, I thought I'd enjoy it a lot more than I actually did, though the fantastic illustrations made up for my unexplainable lack of enthusiasm as I got halfway through the book. Usually I love children's fantasy stories like this, so maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it!

Re
Leah
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5*

*Received in exchange for an honest review*

I was very surprised to receive this book in the post! Having never read any of Peter F. Hamilton's works, I didn't know what to expect of his first venture into children's literature. It's been years since I've delved into 'proper' children's literature too, so I was a little weary and was wondering whether I was now too old to fully appreciate the book. My assumptions and worries were all completely wrong - I loved thi
Tamahome
Aug 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: space-opera
From PFH's facebook:

Andreas
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taggie and Jemima are pre-teen sisters, sent off for the holidays to their apparently eccentric father who lives somewhat distant from modern society. Quite suddenly, he is kidnapped by dark forces. And the sisters discover that they are heirs to a dynasty in a very different realm.

Mr. Hamilton's prose is as tight as ever, even when he is writing for tweens and young adults. The characters are engaging, complex and imperfect. The plot is fine, but unfortunately rather linear and predictable. A g
Dennis Smith
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An enjoyable young adult story. the characters felt very real
Mark
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This is something a little different. Peter F. Hamilton, he of the Reality Dysfunction and the Void series, mega-sized tomes of SF space opera, has written this Young Adult Fantasy tale.

And it is different, which is presumably why the book is by Peter Hamilton, in an Iain M Banks/Iain Banks type move intended to differentiate the author’s work.

The plot is briefly summarised as follows: Agatha (Taggie) and Jemima Paganuzzi are two young sisters who go on holiday to their divorced father’s farm, O
Emma
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Chris - Year 7

This book is about how two girls have a summer holiday and have gone to see their dad. However, strange things are happening in their garden. But when the evil king of night come and kidnaps their dad the story races on. The girls have found out there are things called realms (other worlds) and there dad has been taken into them.
The main character of the book is a girl called Taggie (short for Agatha). She also has a sister called Jemima. Throughout the book they go thro
Helen
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chatterbooks
I picked this title out as one to use with my Chatterbooks group. My main reason for the choice is that it has illustrations running through it, something one of my girls says she looks for when choosing books for herself.
After reading a couple of chapters, I almost rejected it. The story just didn't grab me all that much. But I persevered. The idea of Chatterbooks is to get the children to read stories they wouldn't normally pick for themselves. So it is only fair that I do the same. I also hav
Elle Kay
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Two sisters watch their father being taken by other worldly creatures and discover that their family history includes being part of the royal family from the first realm, a land where evil has taken over. Along with some new friends, the girls must help to rescue their father and save the kingdom.

I am a huge fan of Peter F Hamilton's science fiction novels so was intrigued to read this one. Honestly, it was very wordy and for a kids book, I fear kids will give up before they reach the end. The s
Peveril
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I thought the language and some of the violence might not work well for the twelve year old I know, but I did get caught up in this; author seemed to relax into it after half way and I really enjoyed it.
However it's a pity we had to go with the 'I'm secretly a royal' trope again . . . Cant kids be brave and determined without blue blood? Cant they be resourceful and clever and not only win thanks to magic unearned?
I'm just bitching, read it, its good.
Sophie
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It was advertised in Waterstones as Young Adult, which, after having read it (accidentally), I realised that it clearly wasn't. Fine for middle grade readers; cute, whimsical and harmless, but for a teen, not so much.
Mel
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very well imagined and well read, but I struggled to get into this.
Parts were a bit strange, such as Queen Elizabeth's cameo and the hippie elves.
Everard
This is fantastic book in several ways. Good for both children and adults who enjoy well paced stories set in magical worlds.
Gill Robertson
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and was very sad to see the next one not due out till summer 2016! Also loved by my daughter who is slightly younger then the intended audience so has a very wide appeal.
Piotr
May 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: will-not-finish
Mr. Hamilton should really stick to what he knows best. Voidhawks and Silfen, not dwarves and talking squirrels.
Not terribly impressed with this cookie-cutter Narnia clone.
Writerbizwoman
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 8-11-market
Fun. I really wanted to LOVE it - but it didn't quite hit the mark for me.
Zeba Clarke
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for 8-12 age range.
Jonathan Ngo Van Do

• The Child Eater
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Shadow Castle
  • Swords and Saddles
  • Dinosaurology (Ologies, #12)
  • Sky Song
  • Maladapted
  • Joe Ledger: Wet Works
  • Dreamseeker (Dreamwalker, #2)
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • The Cats in the Doll Shop
  • Collected Stories, Vol. 2
  • Over the Deep
  • Intuitive Biostatistics
  • Haunted
  • SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys
  • Cobra Outlaw (Cobra Rebellion #2)
  • The Golden Arrow
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.

The Queen of Dreams (3 books)
  • The Hunting of the Princes (The Queen of Dreams, #2)
  • A Voyage Through Air (The Queen of Dreams Book 3)