Start by marking “Dodger's Guide to London” as Want to Read:
Dodger's Guide to London

Dodger's Guide to London

(Dodger #1.5)

ROLL UP! ROLL UP! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Ladies and Gents, Sir Jack Dodger brings you a most excellent Guide to London!

Did you know . . . ?
If a Victorian couldn’t afford a sweep, they might drop a goose down their chimney to clean it!
A posh lady’s unmentionables could weigh up to 40lbs!
Parliament had to be suspended during the Great Stink of 1858!

From the wretches of the rooker
Published November 21st 2013 by Doubleday Childrens (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dodger's Guide to London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dodger's Guide to London

Molokov
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although this is a nice little book with some interesting factoids about Victorian London, presented in a way that a Pratchett/"Dodger" fan will find them accessible, there was one big thing missing from something you'd expect associated with Terry Pratchett - humour. There was maybe 2 or 3 giggle-worthy moments in the entire book, which is not enough. Also a point to note is that despite his name being in big letters on the cover, it's plainly obvious that this is /not/ written by Terry Pratche ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Dodger's Guide to London comes as a companion to the novel Dodger and provides us with a casual look at what life was like for the lower classes of Victorian London.

It's a good place to start if you're looking to start researching Victorian London, as it has some very good references and recommendations for further reading. Paul Kidby provides the wonderful illustrations that always accompanies Terry Pratchett's work, as well as some real-life photographs that do not disappoint in bringing the
Michael
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Although this book is aimed at younger readers (I am 25 years old) I found the book extremely enjoyable and picked up a lot of facts that I previously never knew about Victorian London. It is recommended that you read Dodger first before reading this book but for the casual reader it is a great read especially for all Terry Pratchett fans.
Mark
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This slim little volume is a companion book to Sir Terry’s non-Discworld novel published last year, Dodger.

The original story is a Dickensian style tale of one Jack Dodger, who in the novel is an ‘Artful Dodger’ type character running around the rather mucky streets of Victorian London.

It’s a fine old tale, involving characters based on people such as England’s Prime Minister at the time, Benjamin Disraeli, originator of the English police force Sir Robert Peel, a journalst named Charlie Dickens
Karl Orbell
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is a lovely book by Pratchett, called Dodger, I read it over Christmas and New Year 2014/15. Not the greatest of Pratchett's novels, but quite enjoyable. A novel centering around the life of the fictional inspiration for the Artful Dodger in Oliver Twist, complete with many real life Victorian characters, Charles Dickens and Henry Mayhew figure prominently. It worked acceptably well as a novel, the story was fun - this here book is a spin-off from it.

Artful Dodger

Now, this book isn't a novel, there's n
izzy horton
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
For what this is, I found it very good and interesting! I don't have a 'passion' for History but recently I have found it more exciting (history used to bore me) and this book had a good amount of fact with a bit of made up characters but I have learnt a lot about Victorian London! It has been a great help for my dram project, where we are prodding a play based in Victorian London and has given us: fact to base lines and plot off, a feel for the scene setting, lines and a bit of dialogue to prac ...more
yuki
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Although I love Victorian London, I know nothing about it. I am familiar with historical fiction...but I'm no historian.
I am not familiar with Terry Pratchett nor Jack Dodger so I judged it by its cover....and was satisfied with it! I don't know if this book is supposed to be somewhat educational or based on other fiction novels, but it was in the Sci-Fi section so I'm guessing it is supposed to be fiction...and what I absolutely loved about it is the art. It contains retro visuals, which is a
Tria
Fascinating stuff - lots of historical facts about Victorian London with a very well-dressed-up layer of fiction, both quite clearly defined (the factual bits are fully cited) that makes it much more than a list of facts and figures, and provides further reading among its quotations and bibliography to occupy one for months, especially those involving the characters featured in "Dodger" who really existed.
Nonethousand Oberrhein
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, pterry
The reality behind the fiction
The reader is guided through early-victorian London by the witty character Dodger. More than a merry historical romp, this book principal goal is to transmit in a fun way part of the huge research work that Pratchett did to plunge the fictional novel Dodger in a very realistic setting. Didactic at the very least.
Shaun Hately
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Love London. Love Terry Pratchett... and I liked Dodger, the novel. But this book really contained nothing I hadn't already read in other books, and it lacked the depth. Might be really good for somebody who hasn't already explored the history and culture of London, extensively, but left me a bit disappointed.

Not bad by any means. It was a good quick read. But my hopes were higher.
Grond
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humour
This companion book to Terry Pratchett's 'Dodger' is the kind of bathroom trivia book persons interested in Victorian London would emjoy leafing through to while away a few minutes here and there. Filled with facts about the Victorian age and asides from 'Dodger' himself it is an easygoing way to learn about minutae of the period without slogging through heavier reference material.
Neil
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
An unremarkable collection of factoids about Victorian London, purporting to be an original period piece by the title character in Terry Pratchett's novel Dodger, but never convincingly so. Although there are some interesting facts here and there and some fiction.
meeners
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, illustrated
i loved "Did you know...?" books as a kid, and reading this i discovered i still love them now. super fun stuff. not sure how much of it pratchett actually wrote, but the warm spirit and the enthusiasm are surely all his. sir terry, you are dearly missed.
E L K Y
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Dodger was not my favorite book but it was enjoyable nonetheless, his guiding through London's dirty secrets was real joy and I have learned many interesting things :-) Lovely put and what a beautiful illustration, they don't make books like this anymore. Took me back :)
Meg
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun...based on real studies of nineteenth century London. Did you know that the song Pop Goes The Weasel refers to pawning ones tools to buy food! A fun follow up to Terry Pratchett's Dodger
T.A.
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I asked for this as I needed it for my collection but it was an interesting read and tempted to take it to London as an alternative guide!
David
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Guess where I just moved to!

... Thankfully, things aren't quite as rough as they were back in Victorian times anymore!
Tom Sims
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pratchett
Mildly amusing at times with short interesting facts on London. may be worth getting one of referenced books for a detailed history of Victorian London
Georgene
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining guide to Victorian London by Terry Pratchett's young Victorian scalawag, Dodger. It's full of snippets regarding that time period and are presented in an amusing fashion. I wish I had had this when I read "Dodger".
Hayley
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed all the facts about Victorian London but did not feel like I was reading something written by Terry Pratchett.
Alan
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
So a good book to accompany Dodger, yet I can't help but compare this with Sydney Padua's The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer. Which leaves Dodger's guide somehow lacking. This is something to dip in to and out of alongside Dodger, or possibly use as a reference if you're working through a Dickens novel. It just doesn't stand on it's own that well.
Helle
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Dodger’s Guide to London provides an interesting and sometimes surprising inside in Victorian London, but lacks humor (anything from subtle giggles to laughing-out-loud-in-a-public-place), which I expect from anything related to Terry Pratchett. Still very amusing, with some strange trivia and fun facts, but not nearly as good as I had hoped for.
Avano
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I quite liked the insight into the world of Victorian London provided in this book, but I missed the humor that often adorns the books of Terry Pratchett. Still, it is an entertaining book, and I appreciate the research behind it and the references to other sources of more information on this topic.
Mid
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, humour
This book is a light hearted look at Victorian London. It has a lot of small details which I enjoyed (mudlarks picking through the tidal banks of the Thames for things to sell, what a Rat King is). However the attempt to provide 'authetic' typography results in passages that are hard to read. It also lacks coherence as a narrative or an index as a mock reference.
Daniel
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Some interesting snippets about London life but feels like a book of author's research notes.
Helena
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
You can read the review on my blog: http://embracingmybooks.blogspot.be/2...
Anna
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
A bit slight. Some interesting facts but it didn't really feel like it was a Pratchett book.
Svetlana
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well... it was okay, but nothing more. There were some interesting facts that I didn't know. And the illustrations are really great.
Jackie O'sullivan
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
some nice historical factoids presented in an interesting way
T.I.M. James
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is very little that can be said about this book – it is not a novel, nor is it a story in its own right. As a companion piece to Pratchett’s ‘Dodger’ it is a reference book presenting facts and anecdotes about Victorian London along with pictures, both modern and contemporary.

As such it is interesting rather than entertaining, although it does have its moments.
I enjoyed it and found many of the facts fascinating, but there is a lack of humour. I came away feeling slightly educated, which i

• The Complete & Unadulterated True History of the Blackadder
  • Terry Pratchett's Discworld Imaginarium
  • Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Bachelor Boys: The Young Ones Book
  • Egypt
  • Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy's Greatest Science Fiction
  • Ghost Milk: Calling Time on the Grand Project
  • Feudal Society
  • Space Marine (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Get Her Off the Pitch!  How sport took over my life

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Dodger (1 books)